35 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Admonitions of a Suss Sufferer: Mark 2, all about Mark 3
Angry_Norway
post Jul 19 2016, 11:50 PM
Post #41

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 10,012

Alright, the funsies Masters event was out of the way, next day we get the true test of skill: Who's the Boss.

Given I've evidenced I don't even know my factions casters right now, how could this possibly go wrong?

List is just my favourite models at the moment.

Sasha Banks - 2x Basher, 3x Gun Bunny, 2x Spray Bunny, 2x Halberdiers, Aiyanna + Holt, Tinker

Objective not required, as every year that I've seen Who's the boss it is Close Quarters/Take and Hold each round.

Round 1, I've drawn Wurmwood and his newly demoted assistant as my warcaster. My confusion was immense.

Opposing the Mercantile chunk of wood is Samanan, a fellow local, with this stuff:

Skarre2 - Templar, Repenter, Errants, Assassiny acrobatic solo lady, Battle Engine, Piper, a Wrack, some kind of Menoth Support solo I think?

Photos for Who's the Boss aren't super reliable time wise, because I wasn't that concerned with getting every detail. You need to concentrate on the game for these super serious formats.

IPB Image
Deployments!

A dice roll happened. I think I lost and got given second, chose the side with a stonking nice rock my tree house could hide behind while scoring passively.

Figure we'll both move models and start doing things we almost understand with our casters in about turn 2.

IPB Image
After Round 1!

Errants get concealment and run forward in a glorious clump. Assassin mademoiselle runs to threaten my flag. Other stuff lumbers in the back.

So......pretty sure I'm meant to keep Cassius alive so my warlock can move. But I advance deploy, so I'm already out of the killbox, while the Errants are in a most beautiful formation.

I give in to temptation and run Cassius up ready to die. I arc a Hellfire that kills six Errants. A forest is then plonked in front of the assassin lady to stop her charging the huge pile of Steelheads that swarm up the board (Verily, I will walk into that dark night, I shall fear no AoE attack nor spray, the tree is our guiding beacon, wait a minute this is a set up o###### o###### o###### o######...)

The Bunnies split a bit, a party of three go way left. Having Gun Bunnies with a control area larger than 10 inches is doing funny things to my brain.

Bashers shield the tree in the name of conservation.

IPB Image
Menoth turn 2!
Skarre wonders up and attempts to mark the Steelheads as an area of frequent vehicular accidents (Wait, do places out of Australia do the Black Spot program? Probably not).
She misses and uses her much lamer version of Haley's Time travelness to boost after the fact.
Still misses.
She tries again and misses.
Boosts with Future Sight again, lands it.
The Jacks and Assassin lady futz around.
Battle Engine then wonders over and face rolls the Black Spot Steelheads, killing seven members of the unit.
The few remaining Errants have a go, one bounces off a bunny, the other two splat Cassius.

IPB Image

Technically mercenaries turn 2!
Samadon didn't feat, now is my chance for Dwarf nonsense!

I didn't work out at the time that the tree could Hellfire himself forward (Wait, can he? Maybe. Not relevant), so scenario is looking sketchy at best. My opening plan was activate everything, THEN feat, because I have no pathfinder whatsoever.

Skarre has no focus and didn't feat.
Spray bunny fails to clear off a Gun Bunny, so the Black Spot Halbies get it done.
All three Gun Bunnies then move up, Skarre has concealment so I need boosted 12's to hit. Land them all and blow her away.

SKILL. Totes.

We both had 20 odd minutes left on clock and a pervading sense of confusion about life.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Jul 20 2016, 08:48 PM
Post #42

Who's the Boss continues!

I still have a load of Steelheads and Rhulic Jacks. Onwards!

Up next is the mighty Eir Bender!

He has Swan filth. Dirty, bedraggled, grimy, unhygienic Swans.

Some guy - Centurion, Thorn, Squire, Junior + Sentinel, Storm Lancers, Piper, Rangers

I get.....Arkadius! POW 6 Primal Shocks from Gun Bunnies incoming! SO MUCH POWOAR!

Some Guy turns into....

Irusk2.

Oh god.

You can tell the Sydney meta by the PTSD expression they get when they recollect their Irusk2 games.

Anyway, onto actual dollies! Be warned, my recollection of this game is messy as your average teenagers bedroom floor (initially I wrote "messy as hell", but then I pictured Satan as a really organised Middle Manager. You know the sort.).

IPB Image
Round 1: I win the roll, lazily pick first. Mistake. Comfortable cage.
A small pool of cane water is near my flag again. Dangit.
Both sides run forward, looks like a Jack off over my flag, all the Swans metal rods against my masters of Slamming.
That circle is ye old rough terrain.

IPB Image
Merc 2: My initial photo was a blurry mess. Good thing I took a second one! Sigh.
Basically the Steelheads ran forward to jam/die, leave a horrible mess on the floor.
I throw a Basher way forward in walk range of the Centurion. Why? Excellent question.
Arkadius tried to Crippling Grasp the Centurion which I ingeniously engaged. Only need a boosted 8, should be fine. I missed. Arkadius then does the Venus 2000 reposition backward.

IPB Image
Cygnar 2: Steelheads die like a malfunctioning milking machine. About five or so live after the Sotmr Lancers and Rangers are done.
Centurion happily smacks down the Basher and whips it to death.

IPB Image
Merc 3: Well, I've now finished Toku Episode 5's attempts to read sex dungeon reviews in the same style as Bed and Breakfast commentators, hopefully it'll get less weird from here?

Eonon was hilarious and we were having a boisterous time, enough that I think this is about the point the Masters Judge had to tell us to quieten down.

Anyway, Arkadius tries to Crippling Grasp the Centurion. He's behind the wall, but it's a boosted eight, it'll be......nope.....missed. Dangit.

Forced Evo Basher goes, eats Thorn. The Swan things stupid shield knocks out three boxes of Cortex. Rhulic Jacks being amazing, he still had Cortex remaining. Glorious.

Gun Bunnies shoot the light jacks. for a bit. I did my Feat moves this turn I think, though it didn't really achieve much.

IPB Image
Cygnar 3: The Cav are finally free of the Steelheads and make an evil V flying formation. They are tough, no knockdown with Arcane Shield. You know, fair and balanced.

Big E was suffering though, both from clock burn unfortunately due to our shenanigans and more importantly the Irusk model. Don't think I've seen a figure knocked over more times in a game. Standard of doom! He also had to contend with the dice devouring board edge, a gap between our table and its neighbour that was a great consumer of small cubes of plastic.

Centurion stabs the remaining Basher, rolls appallingly for damage. takes out half it's health but no system, again, Dwarfness.

IPB Image
Merc 4: I finally land a god damn Crippling Grasp on the Centurion. The Basher then kills it.

I go to my flag with Arkady, my light jacks futz around and do shots. Two of the cav tough and I roll my eyes in agony.

IPB Image
End game state!

I frivolously wasted my clock, so we both ended up on the pump.

The Cav, harbingers of doom, tied up my jacks and killed the Basher over a couple turns as Irusk went to his flag and scored up to 4 CP.

Final round was me running Aiyanna and Holt to contest, Airburst not killing them and Edos clocking out.

In the next round he realised he'd feated and Aiyanna/Holt couldn't have run to get to the flag.

A fun game, though a far from ideal result. We'll have to have a rematch, wherein hopefully I also don't disgrace myself, the decision making I used here was outright awful (Threw away a basher, could have started the Light jacks going to do pew pews on the Cav and at least start chipping at them).
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Jul 21 2016, 09:52 AM
Post #43

On the weak strength of technical knock out, I go into the (I'm presuming, I don't actually know) undefeatable estimable......dangit. I'm picturing the face perfectly.

Ah! Broods! That's a rough amalgamation of some names that I think are correct!

His list:

Guy Squatting on Debra's Desk - Behemoth, Ruin, Juggernaught, Sylys, Winter Guard Rofl Corp + 3x Rifles, Kovnik Joe

The spinner does it's electric whirl, I get Ravyn, he gets Malekus.

Neither of us where particularly impressed with what we got.

Ravyn's feat essentially gives the Bunnies Side step for a shot. Malekus' feat only affects him.

I was expecting good things from Snipe and Clouding, Malekus has Open Fire which could be good for the....Menite Ruskies?.

IPB Image
Deployment: I get first and there's.....wait for it......water next to my flag!

Based off my irrefutable anecdotal evidence which is clearly gospel, going second against me is OP.

Halberdiers set to run up and try to contest the opposing flag, Bashers to keep Ravyn safe. My concern here is that I can't really kill multiple Khador heavies with this junk.

IPB Image
Round 1: Both armies have stuff that moves up. Behemoth walks up and shoots, combined with an Open Fire deletes most of the left unit of Halbs. The very firsts shot scattered onto my jacks and did sod all, which gave me enough confidence for a comeuppance 27 seconds later.

The Roflcorp also pew pew a couple Steelheads. Rockets stay safe up the back.

Snipe goes on the forward most Gunner.

Juggernaut and Ruin are set to face off against Ravyn and the Bashers on the left.

IPB Image
Merc 2: Ravyn has Locomotion! This is amazing!

She hides behind the Bashers and Locomotes the Sniped Gun Bunny, who wonders up and kills a Rocketeer.

Spray Bunnies moves up behind said Gunner hoping to get to the Rifle Corp, Gun Bunnies struggle through the forest on my side of the board.

IPB Image
Khador 2: Notice anything missing in that pic?

Turns out Malekus has a 10 inch spray, which he uses to clear off the Steelheads engaging Riflemen.
The Roflcorp get boosts to hit, aim and obliterate most of the Steelheads.

Behemoth blows off the Head system of the Sniped Gunner.
Juggernaut runs up to contest my flag, Ruin hangs back and contemplates a life of piece and tranquillity.

IPB Image
Merc 3: Wrian has obliterated a load of my stuff, but to my surprise he hasn't moved on scenario. I only have to kill a Riflemen and get the Juggernaught away to start the scoring train.

One Basher Locomotes forward to get around the damn water, Slams the Juggernaught back for average distance and otherwise does sod all.

The back Gunners ping Ruin, do not unreasonable damage.

Ravyn sits on my flag and puts up a Veil of Mists. Initially I placed it to stop Ruin charging my Basher, then realised Ravyn would be camping 1 and could straight up die to behemoth shots, so I cloud in front of my caster instead.

The last Steelhead, not being a Starfighter, runs up to engage three Riflemen.

The forward Gunner, now head and Snipeless, touches the opposing flag and shoots down the contesting Riflemen.

Tinker runs up to a future repair locale.

Ravyn goes to 2 CP.

IPB Image
Khador 3: Juggernaught sits up, swings at the Basher, rolls really badly.

Ruin is just shy of running to contest my flag range, so he walks over and finishes the damaged Basher off.

Malekus sprays the Gun Bunny on his friendly flag, rolls trip ones for damage.

Rifle Corp get boosted to hit rolls, stab the Steelhead engaging them, move to contest the flag and CRA the Tinker to glorious death. The Rockets finish off the injured Gun Bunny.

Behemoth goes to contest the flag as well, shoots the nearest Spray down to one Movement box.

Ravyn goes to 3 CP.

IPB Image
Merc 4: Alright, need to clear off four Riflemen and Behemoth, score the opposing flag and it's a wrap. Behemoth is full health, no way I'm actually killing him.

The Gun Bunnies shoot down the Rifle Corp without much difficulty, the one box Spray guy touches the flag ready to score.

Ravyn Locomotes the Basher for 3 inches, he Slams Behemoth 7 inches back away from the flag.

I go to 5 CP.

IPB Image
Me on the right.

Well, I like Locomotion, not sure if anyone else does.

Whose the Boss only goes three rounds, strength of schedule throws me at # 3. Content with that, the list seemed to do alright, I'd probably drop Aiyanna/Holtfor Saxon/Piper or some other support. Or more likely I won't refer to this next time Whose the Boss crops up because it's not exactly about having the best list :-P

This post has been edited by Angry_Norway: Jul 21 2016, 12:14 PM
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Jul 23 2016, 07:45 PM
Post #44

Jeffios comes along to break my no game spell!

For once following up on my not-as-much-Gorten statement:

Fiona1 - 2x Mule, Sylyss Elfspinter, Dahlia + Skarath, Nyss, 2x Eliminators, Acosta, Aiyanna + Holt, Commodore Cannon of Shenanigans
Objective: Bunker

Last time I took this for spin I took Fuel Cache, but I"d forgotten all about that and went with Bunker as a lazy default.

Skorne maintain their trend for surprising popularity, this time with the master of self jabbing:

Naaresh1 - Sentinel, Gladiator, Despoiler, Brute, Krea, Pain Givers, Tycom, Swordsman + UA, Incindarii, Swamp Gobbers

Three heavies and an armour feat? Assassination plan it is! Though that is what I'm aiming to do more with my lists post-Wintercon, enough of this attrition nonsense. Lamentation is an issue, makes Fiona's magic missile into darkness plan harder.

We're over at Fortress Jeresh, so no clocking and nice things on the table all owned by him (I like to think the Skorne are fending of an invasion by the poorly painted alliance).

IPB Image
Skorne Deploy: Skorne win the roll and pick first.
Pretty much infantry to the left, Beasts to the right. The unpainted Rhinodon with red on him is Despoiler.

IPB Image
Merc Deploy: I picked this side do to poor decision making. That open house plan is a trench today, but I was seduced by that right flag wall when I should have said nay.
Mules/Cannon/Jayazy faced off against the Skorne infantry, Nyss with Acosta and the Snake to the right.
I don't like my deployment options here. Nyss want to go left to kill Swordsman, but then die to Incindarii. Mules want to soften beasts with guns, but if they aim to get range they'll be charged and killed.

IPB Image
Skorne 1: Skorne all move up, Beasts compress to the centre to get around an obstructive forest.
Blur goes on the Swordsman, the Lamentation banner starts waving.

IPB Image
Merc 1: On the left, one unit of Kayazy and a Mule go forward on the hill, intent being to stop Swordsman running and messing up the Commodore. Other Mule held back to deal with the inevitable jammers.
Other Kayazy unit get Telgesh and hang back with Aiyanna and Holt.
The Snake moves up into the forest, followed by Dahlia with Haunting Melody.
Acosta run to go behind the wall and is surrounded by the spread out Nyss who have Roth's Mercy.
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Jul 23 2016, 07:50 PM
Post #45

IPB Image

Skorne 2: Blur/Lamentation keep trucking.
The Swordsman run up and spread around, though they don't jam as much as I was expecting.
The Incindarii follow behind them after getting Press Forward from the Tycom and go for long lobs at Kayazy that don't work out.
Beast Bricks moves up to the top of the trench, the Brute goes into the cloud the Gobbers pop.

IPB Image
Merc 2: Plan is to feat and run things in threatening spots.
Naaresh is safely ensconced in the trench behind the Sentinel and Despoiler, so early attacks on him are a no go. Nothing heavy hitting can get to beasts and I can't clear off either flag, so it's kill the jamming models and support as my target selection.

The Telgeshed Kayazy kill three Swordsman and side step forward, clearing off the forward Mule in the process. The Mules then shoot, popping an Incindarii and the Gobbers while bouncing off the Brute's face. The other Kayazy then go in and kill the officer, stopping their once a game effect countering Fiona's feat.
Holt and the Cannon then clear off the nearest Swordsman, keeping the Cannon safe.

In the central area, Fiona uses an Arcane Secreted Soulfire to box a Paingiver. She then feats and forward. The Snake gets Mistwalker, moves up and sprays down another pair of Paingivers.

The Nyss spread around in mimicry of the Swordsman and shoot down the rest of the Paingivers.
Acosta runs forward and engages the Gladiator.

I completely failed to activate Gorman. Whoops.

IPB Image
Skorne 3: The Swordsman run back up and engage the forward Mule again. The Incindarii jostle a bit, one scatter a shot onto Fiona and a Nyss, setting them aflame. This is the point I looked at the cloud Gorman didn't make and sigh. One Incindarii gets on the back of an Eliminator outside of Fiona's feat and kills her.

Centre wise, the Sentinel goes onto the Snake, lands the charge for some below average damage and leaves it at that.

Gladiator and Naaresh both try to pop Acosta, who hits the warlock and causes him to transfer, then on later attacks bounces away. Despoiler also has a go and Acosta retreats away, having mucked up the Skorne enough.
Naaresh feats on all his beasts.

IPB Image
Merc 3: Naaresh is camping 2 and the beasts are unkillable, so it's go for it time. He's cast the Brute's Animus, so no knockdown shenanigans :-(

The Nyss move around, they do three CRA's into Naaresh. Each one does two point and I watch as his armour climbs higher.

After a lot of head scratching, I decide to just run things in. As surety Fiona moves back in the event I have to try again next turn, the Sentinel thankfully misses his free strike.

The three remaining Eliminators go in, one with a Gang Combo Strike, one without Gang. One forces off a transfer, the other misses.
Acosta charges in, the first attack hits and forces away the last transfer. He then misses the second stab.

Well, I thought that would be enough. Sod.

After a bit of screwing around, Dahlia drops her Fury to heal Skarath as much as she can then runs to be behind the Sentinel. Gorman then moves up and Blinds her and the Sentinel (After a quick check that Haunting Melody lets me attack my own model....).

The Snake moves away, the Sentinel thankfully misses it's free strike again. Skarath goes up and chomps Naaresh with the opening double boosted attack.

Success! Didn't make ideal choices assassination wise, thankfully the Sentinel was down with it. If I don't pull off the assassination there's some tricky Skorne choices, but I think Naaresh ends up in the trench, the Incindarii delete the Nyss/Commodore and I'm in a heavy trading long game that favours the beasts. The Kayazy/Acosta would be the tricky part, I think it comes down the warlock casting the Brute Animus, then Despoiler throwing the Krea to kill those assassination pieces.
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Jul 25 2016, 11:31 PM
Post #46

No Slam for me, but crammed in three games on the regular night. Well, sort of.

So, in an attempt to try to switch to a more assassinationy style gameplay I threw together the following to my immediate regret:

Magnus2 - Nomad, 2x Renegade, Rorsh + Brine, Wrongeye + Snapjaw, Dahlia + Skarath, Sylyss Wyshesforfishes, 2x Eliminators, Taryn, Hawk

Yeah, I know. I know.

First pick up game into Skaverous, which is awful.

Skaverous1 - 2x Bitey bone chicken nide, Barathrum, traitor Wrongeye + Snapjaw, Croes, Satyxis Raiders, 2x Machine Wraiths, Withershadow
Objective: Fuel Cache

Deployments: I lost the roll and get given second, scenario is Recon. No terrain of immense benefit to me

IPB Image
Cryx 1: All the stuff runs forward fast!

IPB Image
Merc 1: It's already bad. For my feat to matter I need to be up the board, but I don't know how I don't die. I Bullet dodger the Snake, because its amusing to me, stuff runs up. I place Magnus poorly.

IPB Image
Cryx 2: Arcnode runs up, Skavvy feats, TK's the Renegade and Magnus out and around.

Machine Wraith charges in, takes over the Renegade, who walks up a bit and uses an Obliterator Rocket on Magnus, who then gets shot down by Croes.

Sounds about right. Control is bad.

Magnus could have full camped and stayed behind Submerged models to make the TK more difficult, but I think that delays the inevitable. If I feat turn one I don't get Skaverous or the Arc Node, TK can shift models outside of the feat border if they matter.

I'm sure good Magnus 2 lists exist, possibly even assassination ones. But this iteration in this matchup sure isn't it. It does get at least one more go though....
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Jul 26 2016, 05:45 PM
Post #47

Attempt #2 of Happy Magnus Tree Friends:

Magnus2 - Nomad, 2x Renegade, Rorsh + Brine, Wrongeye + Snapjaw, Dahlia + Skarath, Sylyss Wyshesforfishes, 2x Eliminators, Taryn, Hawk

Kicking Stryker's running mate down is the pre-Pimp My Ride edition of a golden middle agie:

Reznik1 - 2x Reckoner, 2x Redeemer, The Arc Node Repel Shield jack thing, Choir, Mechanik, Hierophant, Temple Flameguard, 2x Wracks, Gorman, Rhoven + Buddies
Objective: Stockpile

Probably missing some Menoth pieces? Doesn't help the jacks all start with R's. Menoth does not reward his followers with naming inventiveness alas.

So.....this is also bad. Reznik's feat is legitimately the worst thing ever with my 3 lesser warlocks. If Magnus is safe he can easily feat and demolish my whole list.

IPB Image
Merc Deploy: Stuff.

IPB Image
Menoth Deploy: Menites! All over the place!

IPB Image
Merc 1: That's some fine can't-touch-this mocking by the Wracks.

Ninja Pig goes up the left. Everything else goes up the guts. Magnus and jacks prepare to hide in the fog next turn.

IPB Image
Menoth 1: The Flame Guard run forward, ready to definitely not be sacrificed.
The Light jacks go up the flanks, the Reckoners hang out with Reznik behind the objective.
The Redeemers kill an Eliminator each, the blonde grunt in each unit.

IPB Image
Merc 2: The Fog sticks around at the end of the Menite turn, so Hawk isn't charging anything, but it means I have a cloud to hide in.

Magnus ends up feating and charging, ending in the cloud. I pick the player board edges, I get Reznik and all the jacks bar the left most Redeemer. The Renegades and Nomad then run in front of him for shieldingness.

All the beasts move up, the actual warlocks hang back outside of Reznicks feat range. The snake spray and Hawk kill a bunch of the Temple Guard.

At the end of my turn the cloud goes away. Sounds about right. It sticks around on the board because I've chucked models on it.

IPB Image
Menoth 2: Hampered by Magnus' feat, everything just sort've shuffles on the spot in terms of movement. Reznik opts to hold his feat, lands his evil signature spell on teh Nomad which then goes viciously blown apart by the battlegroup.

Left Redeermer shoots Dahlia, she pings it to the Snake, taking out its Body (Rockets: They teach you to admire the intellect and soul of your pet Tatzylwurm apparently).

Gorman moves up and kills the left Eliminators with a Corrosion bomb.

IPB Image
Merc 3: Well, feat is gone. It's kill Reznik or lose time, he'll utterly smash me on his next turn if he doesn't just flat out kill Magnus.

Reznik has two Shieldguards near him, though one is in blast range for the Obliterator rocket to knock him down anyway. I'll then need to pop the Objective and the Reckoner to get Ninja Pig in.

First Renegade does just that, knocking down Reznik. Magnus then hits him with Calamity, which triggers Witchhound. Bugger. The left Redeemer moves up and does a shot, though I don't remember at what?
Other Renegade then goes and knocks down the Reckoner, manges a few points on the Objective.

Snake charges the Reckoner for a few points, then maxes Fury to kill the Objective (It was nearly a very embarrassing Heavy activation).
Snapjaw then goes in, maxes his Fury to kill the Reckoner.

Lastly Ninja Pig pops the Smoke and moves forward, Brine casts his Animus and charges Reznik. Redeemer gets a Freestrike, lands it for a good hit but rolls and even column and takes nothing out. Brine kills Reznik with his first two attacks.

Well, that isn't happening again. Right after the game Jacobian pointed at the multiple ways he could have stopped that, safe to say this little experiment is over. I'll try assassination focused lists again, hopefully the next one is less rubbish.
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Jul 26 2016, 06:54 PM
Post #48

Having blitzed two games, Jacukezistan was content for a rematch! Still running this evil zealotry:

Reznik1 - 2x Reckoner, 2x Redeemer, The Arc Node Repel Shield jack thing, Choir, Mechanik, Hierophant, Temple Flameguard, 2x Wracks, Gorman, Rhoven + Buddies

So.....Magnus was going to be trash, the other list I intended to play was Fiona, but she is also just outright terrible in the matchup. Stop judging me.

Gorten1 - 2x Bashers, 3x Gunners, 2x Blasters, Rorsch + Brine, Wrongeye + Snapjaw, 2x Eliminator units, Acosta, Tinker, Aiyanna and Holt

Recon shuffled off, three flags appeared! Terrain moved around a bit, though I didn't think of the consequences of it really. Big thing being the forest that ends up on the centre flag.

IPB Image
Menoth Deploy: I win the roll, give the raving loons first turn.

Near symmetrical deployment, the offender to the pattern being Gorman on the far left.

IPB Image
Merc Deploy: Gorten jack lump in the middle, Crocs to the left, Ninja Pigs to skilled to be in the photo on the right. Plan is to score with a lesser on either flank and use Gorten feat up the guts to win out on scenario unless Rexnicky wanders into death range.

IPB Image
Menoth 1: Stuff moves up straight forwardly. Flame Guard are reassured of their life insurance and go out the front.

IPB Image
Merc 1: On the left, the Crocs Submerge and head toward the left flag with one unit of Eliminators.

In the centre, Gorten goes behind the Bashers with Acosta and the other Eliminators out front. Bunnies go into the cloud. On the right the Ninjas appear, dive into the trench that drew them to that side in the first place.

The Cloud goes away. You just can't trust fog these days.

IPB Image
Menoth 2: Gorman moves up, Rust Bombs the Bashers. Forgot about that.
The Arcnode moves up, channels Rezniks doom spell onto a Basher.
The various other Jacks get battle from Choir, blow up one Basher then shoot Gorten down to 5 health with their spare shots. Crikey. Camping only one was a terrible move.
The Flameguard Shield Wall, advance up around the centre flag.

IPB Image
Merc 2: Alright, hide Gorten, start scoring!
Eliminators and Gun Bunnies stab Temple Guard, but I just can't clear the final two behind the forest contesting the centre flag. No triple scoring for me. Gorman also gets chumped on the way.
The remaining Basher Slams the Node because....he can? This was a poor decision.
Snapjaw goes to the left flag, Wrongeye holds back somewhat so he doesn't get blatted by a menoth jack.
Likewise on the right Brine goes to the flag, Rorsh hides out in the trench on full camp.
Acosta goes into the central flag to be a git.
Gorten pumps his stubby legs to get behind the Gun Bunnies.

Mercs go to 2 CP.

IPB Image
Menoth 3: Reckoner crushes the basher into the dirt.
Reznik moves up, lands his signature spell of pain on Brine.
The right Redeemer goes and shoots at Brine, rolls awfully to hit, though does mnage about half of Brine's health.
The Flame Guard try and fail to pop an Eliminator.

My scenario win is unstoppable at this point, so Jacienna concedes. After a bit of thought, we conclude he could have easily just chomped Gorten and his five boxes (Feat to strip Fury, use sig spell via Arcnode to kill Bunny and shoot the Dwarf with the Reckoners).

Overall the only mistake I spotted immediately was my Gorten position. I wanted him to be safe, but the Obstruction was the actual location he goes to and survives. My interest in keeping his feat live on the centre was to strong, instead I should take the safe score and rely on the Crocs/Pigs to carry the game.

Reznik #1 can now give me nightmares. Losing a heavy each turn trivially is bad. The conclusion at the end was that Gorman and one Wrack goes away, Taryn gets brought in tears. Tears for days.

Now to again make a new not-Gorten list. I think I also need to make an effort to stop putting the Lessers in, they are great but putting them everywhere comes with its downsides.

A journeyman League is set for August, My intent is to start Convergence with that unless normal games are to be had. Next Merc thing to get is the Ceph, though so far the lists I'm making are not stroking my internal Boiler.

My uncertainty is even greater assassination style wise. Possibly I'm attracted to the idea that a four turn game is more fun? I didn't feel an especial thrill at either winning or losing on assassination, both of which happened with the Magnus list in quick order.
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Jul 29 2016, 10:01 PM
Post #49

Random Jolt match!

A pair of Skorne players awaited, but we'd all played recently, so I went into one of the next couple players to come into the shop.

Now it's Paulions Skorne! (This meta is weird. DO THEY NOT KNOW THE INTERNET HAS PROCLAIMED SKORNE TO BE TRASH?).

The Gorten veto was used, out of the available lists it ended up being the fine old Montador.

Bart1 - Galleon, 3x Nomad, Reinholdt, Taryn, Commodore Cannon, Rockbottom, Devil's Shadow

Previously I had Dougal and Eliminators, but then I played a game with the new iteration of Artillerist and lost all interest, The Old Gold now had a distinct coppering shade.
Plus Zira is just cool.

Paurf dropped some Exalted Court shenanigans.

Mak3 + Possessive servants - Tiberion, 2x Aradus Soldiers, Gladiator, Archidon, Bone Grinders, Paingivers, Willbreaker, Chef

It's Extraction, also the most common scenario I've played. Still feels fresh though, it'll never add up to the amount of Close Quarters/Take and Hold games anyway.

Both sides threat ranges are reasonably static, with both feats relatively nullified. There's a lot of Steady in those Skorne Beasts, while I have sod all models to do a Fury burning Overtake streak.

Skorne have a definitive edge in pathfinder land with ranged attack bullet resistant bugs, but I can live with expending my Nomads if I don't make a mistake with my Colossal placement.

IPB Image
Merc Deploy: I win the roll and pick first. Persian Vamps take the side with the trench.

Galleon, being the model who can walk through it, lines up behind the nearest forest. Bart is central to make use of Batten. Commodore is to the right in a vague attempt to get some lines of sight. Devil's Shadow are far right, if they go near the Galleon they'll just be Overtake stairs for Tibbers or a Bug.

IPB Image
Skorne Deploy: Aradus out front and near each flag. Black models in the back are the Bone Grinders, there's a single Shambler repping the Gobber Chef.

IPB Image
Merc 1: Everything lurches forward, including the Commodore's single move. Hot Shot goes on the Galleon, because rewriting Barts playbook is what I'm all about.

IPB Image
Skorne1: Everything moves up, Makky puts up Vortex of Destruction.

Tibbers is central, Gladiator goes left toward the trench. Archidon gets mercilessly mocked for being a Light on a Large base. The Aradus contest a flag each.
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Jul 29 2016, 10:05 PM
Post #50

IPB Image
Merc 2: Orin Midwinter suddenly appears on the Skorne side representing the Willbreaker.

Plan is to down at least a heavy. I can't reasonably contest, so I'll have to give the initial scoring to Skorne, but if that happens I have to set up it up to trade. I can't fully fuel multiple heavies if I want to Batten, so if I get rushed on all front it's a losing prospect unless I pop a heavy or two first.

I have a position where I can drag a Bug in and be out of Tibers threat range, but I have to pop an Exalted Court member to stop the Harpoon being Shield Guarded

Reasoning this is the most important she's liable to be, given how cagey we've both been with our pre-measured threat ranges, Taryn advances and does Brutal damage shots on the Exalted Court bloke. Does a few points triggering Battle Driven but fails to finish him off.

Galleon moves to his spot to get the job done. I roll max mini-shots, takes all the right shots to get rid of the Exalted court member which wasn't to good. I'd also not thought things through and spent two of his focus to boost the hit rolls. Wasteful. The rest of the little shots go into the Gladiator, I roll reasonably and take out it's body, so that was nice.

The Harpoon fails to damage the Bug. Thinking my Gladiator was now going to be wasted by a Bug or at least mostly killed, I move up the left Nomad, thinking it would either be sacrificial or threaten a dangerous freestrike. It was then pointed out the Bugs threatened 10 inch with a pull involved, their big attack is only one inch range, though there's a distinct possibility I would have moved up the nomad anyway.

Galleon is blocking the Nomad in the photo for the most part, it's the vestigial looking part coming out of the shoulder (The mini-Galleon sibling if you will).

Bart Battens and hugs the objective.

On the right, the other two Nomads move up to be shy of Bug's threat range, which is the equal of their own.
The Cannon is on the receiving end of a Money Shot from the rich one legged Dwarf. It then goes for a slam on the Archidon, which the remaining Exalted Court chump Guards and explodes from.

The Devil's Shadow start the very long "Let's get to the support without dying" by running up the right side of the board.

IPB Image
Skorne 2: To my surprise Cageyness is now the name of the game.

Nearly all the Skorne models go to the left, Makky feats not expecting any better time for it.

The Archidon comes up, eats Taryn and falls back. The right Soldier sits to just contest the right flag, the left one comes up and after a bit of a struggle eats the Nomad.

IPB Image
Merc 3: The non-aggresive play surprised me, as well as the no scoring. Given I've got the Galleon guns versus no ranged at all, plan is to use the Commodore to push back the bug on the right side and use the less than necessary Reinholdt to score while doing chip damage on the left.

Looking at it, I could have perhaps charged the Galleon off to the left to kill that sides Soldier, though I'd have to find a spot where I don't get counter killed by Tibbers, which leaves Galleon far to the left and certainly strains Bart's Control area with the Nomads on the right.

In any event, on the right the plan goes off without a hitch. The Commodore gets a (In hindsight) pointless Money Shot coin and slams the Bug back a few inches. The Nomads creep forward to threaten him if he comes back to contesting range. Reinholdt runs to the right flag. The Devil's Shadow receives Tough from their diminutive head of Human Resources and and leg it around to the back of the board.

On the left, the Galleon falls back and lines up the Archidon. Rolls the lowest possible amount of shots, so that isn't going to work. I shoot it anyway and take out it's mind, so that's something.

Lastly Reinholdt pumps his little legs that somehow his support his enormous noggin to the right flag.

Mercs go to 1 CP.

IPB Image
Skorne 3: The left Aradus frenzies and fails its charge on the Galleon.
Tibbers shuffles up to get in melee range of my Objective, Makeda gives him the Overtake spell.
Gladiator shuffles into the Trench and gets a couple heals from the Paingivers.
Archidon attacks Reinholdt, misses, he dodges away. Gobber heroics at work.

The Willbreaker moves across and tries to Influence Mar to shoot Morland, but misses. Pretty sure they'd RFP each other had it worked, still no where near as embarrassing as Magnus getting hit by his own Renegades Obliterator Rocket.
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Jul 29 2016, 10:08 PM
Post #51

IPB Image
Merc 4: It's trade time. I'm feeling the Tiberion squeeze, I reason I can use my feat and a sacrificial Nomad to get a leg up in the game initiative.

There's two plans here, On the right it's kill the Archidon and score again. I decide it's the turn of the game where I don't Batten, so the right Nomad and Galleon are fully fueled.

The Focus on the right Nomad ends up being wasted, as Zira and the Money Shot buffed Commodore Cannon flat out kill the Archidon. Reinholdt then goes to the right flag to score again. On the way Morland kills the Willbreaker and Mar causes a Bone Grinder to tough.

The left is where the more vital junk happens. The non-loaded Nomad runs up into Tiberions face, I measure it out so that he can't get past the nomad to the Galleon, who moves up behind and just manages to kill the Aradus that has been bugging around it all game.

Bart then goes behind the Galleon and feats, his control area covers around the blocking Nomad so Makeda or the Gladiator can't kill it as they'll slip and fall on their tusks (Makedashas fearsome tusks, as we all know).

Mercs go to 2 CP.

IPB Image
Skorne 4: So the joy of mocking Tiberions Animus before game starts is it then naturally becomes a key component of the assassination run, as I'd completely forgotten about it.

Makeda casts Unstoppabe Force to gain Bulldoze, walks around, pushes the Nomad away, then walks back a bit and falls over.

Paingivers Enrage Tibbers.
Tibbers then charges my objective, kills it with the Tetsubo and Tusk initials (I forgot the reduced damage die from Impervious, but it probably gets it done anyway).
Tibbers then sidesteps to Bart, who's camping one focus. The shield lands, I reduce to a couple points with my focus point. I'm Def 17 effectively, which saves me as the bought Tetsubo's fail to land. Makeda is knocked down in range of Galleon and two Nomads, so the King gets knocked over at this point.

Talking it through, directly after the game the thinking was that Tibbers should have Animused to charge the Galleon and put damage on it, Gladiator runs up to finish it off next turn. Overall I think Skorne should have been more aggresive, but it's actually weighted to me when I don't willy nilly throw away Heavies in the opening stages of the game.

The Mak list is liable to drop the Willbreaker/Bone Grinders for a Cyclops Brute. Certainly makes this particular match Skorne weighted I think, I don't get the half a feat I managed.

I can't see changing my list based on how this played out, Taryn and Reinholdt only really had a scoring stuff role in the matchup, though I'm likely discarding shadowfire in the matchup far to much.

There's Kingmakers, but I don't see it for Bart. Feign Death and Batten interact badly, while his Trenchers have nothing on Damiano's. PLus Commodore Cannon is somewhat addictive, having never got the chance to wield it last edition and now getting it with casters I have the models to play (One day Shae).

I think this is the closest to what I initially expected pre-measuring games to be, a weird perfectly measured stand off. Had we a clock going it would not have occurred in such a way in any case, but it was fun anyway, traditionally I've done poorly in the long stand off games so this was a nice change. Plus outflanking brings me far more joy than it should.
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Aug 1 2016, 11:21 PM
Post #52

We return to slightly change our regularly scheduled junk for some hearty Journeyman ruffage.

I'd planned on this being the glorious arrival of my Convergence, but my conversion were taking far to long and my mini's budget got blown on Cephalyx stuff, so golden oldie faction it is!

Magnus1 - Mangler, Rover

Mangled Metal, or as I call it, utter nonsense. Win by destroying the opposing battlegroup or assassinating.

Match 1: When Eggs roll!

Into the first man, but the faithful iteration as seen by the Menite forces.

So...we'll get this out of the way: Magnus1 and a Rover is kind've bull###### at this level.

It's eggman (Malekus1), some heavy combustiony jack, couple lights.

So I snipe the Rover, back up after the initial run forward turn, do a fully boosted shot and hang back. I do this, killing a light after a few turns, everything gets pushed forward, I charge in, kill the other light and fall back with feat. After a while the Heavy jack sighs at my impudence and has to move up into death range from the Mangler.

Round 2: Lightsfantastical

IPB Image
It's then into Jacobian, running with Trolls. It's Ragnar and an Axer, Bouncer and Impaler.

This went for a few turns, again my Sniped Rover pew pewing then falling back. The Trolls weren't as defenseless to this nonsense, the Bouncer Shield Guarded after the Axer took some early hits, the Impaler made some attacks and Regeneration/Fury healing made back some of the damage.

Eventually, after a long load of turns werein I was slowly pulling ahead, Ragnar feated and all three Lights tried to go down my throat.

The Mauler/Rover got fully loaded, courtesy of the pre-damage they punched through the feat to kill the Bouncer and Axer, then Magnus feated and the Rover pulled back.

After that the Mangler died to Ragnar/the Impaler, then Scourge and the Rover killed the remaining light.

Round 3: Mad Dog Maddox.

IPB Image
The Gordian Knot xp grabber threw down some Swans.

Cygnar get Maddox, a Firefly, Lancer and an Ironclad.
I gun down the Firefly, Mangler swings at the Lancer and takes out the Spear. I feat and pull back to a convenient pillar.
The Lancer, courtesy of Assail, goes into the Mangler and rips off his Cortex with his shield.
After that the Mangler kills the Lancer, the Rover/Magnus pair fall back. The Ironclad kills the Mangler, loses an arm to a Rover shot. Ironclad tries a suicide run, Rover charges and kills it.

Round 4: The Undead Menace

IPB Image
Into the other undefeated player of the night, El Marteneese with the equally fair and balanced Battle Box.

Agatha1 - Reaper, Slayer, Bitey node

I run up first, then the Necrojunk runs up. Mert hasn't accounted for the threat ranges, so the Mangler gets a charge into the armour buffed Reaper. I roll miserably on my initial attacks, but spike it up to take out an arm. Magnus and the Rover shoot out the movement of the Slayer, feat moves throw everything backward.
I stuff up my placement, so the Reaper drags in my Rover after the Node throws Parasite on it.
The Reaper rolls terribly for damage, without Movement the Slayer can't make it either.
After that the Mangler goes in, kills the Heavies, the Rover then walks over and kills the Arc Node.

Some bemusing running around, having the best gun on the field with no scenario did make it a bit farcical. If I get anymore Mangled Metal games in I'll see if my opponents are down with some Take and Hold action.
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Aug 2 2016, 04:38 AM
Post #53

In the midst of Magnus1 face rolling with Snipe, I crammed in a 75 pointer with the oldest of foes, some Skorne!

Based on laziness and cheap jack is best jack, I made a list that was Magnus1, a Buccaneer and....like....eleven Nomads?

Because I'm not endlessly rich as well as demented, I don't own eleven Nomads, so I scaled it back to stuff I actually possess.

Magnus1 - Buccaneer, Mangler, 4x Nomad, 2x Renegade, Silly Wyshellblargh, Tinker, Alexia2, Eiryss1
Objective: Uh....I didn't pick one. Bunker then?

In a fine show of humourous juxtaposition, Jefzatar was not playing with the Battle Boxes but was using the relevant lock anyway.

Xekaar1 - Bronzeback, Gladiator, Brute, Shaman, Wrongeye + Snapjaw, Marketh Puffy Pants, Venator Dakaar, Slingers, Paingivers, Bloodrunners, Master Tormentor

It's the return of The Pit!

Plan is to absorb the alpha and ride the Heavies wave to victory while keeping the Alexia manufactorium chugging.

IPB Image
Skorne Deploy: Skronidons win the roll and go first.

Proxies are the Venator Reiver sitting in as the Dakaar solo (Or whatever he's called, buffs the Slingers).

Far left is the Crocs, the yellow shrouded fellow is Marketh, then the Slingers round out the left side. On the ride is the mob of beasts, black undercoat chap being the Cyclops. Xekaar is obviosuly the shiny red guy. Bloodrunners out front.

Notable terrain on this side is not the outlying walls (I didn't notice them until I was in a journeyman game on this table afterwards), the Skorne flag is shrouded in trees and a nice stonkin rock pile sits awkwardly on the edge of the zone.

IPB Image
Merc Deploy: I pick this side because the opposing obstruction looked painful and the trench looked like it might be nice. Hills are also much nicer than trees for my list with...one model with pathfinder?

Alexia goes way to the left, ready to run toward Blood Runners for sweet sweet souls. There's then line up of potential criminals/jacks, Renegades on either side, Mangler across from the Slingers for optimistic Threshering.

IPB Image
Skorne 1: Stuff moves up, Xekaar goes to the Skorne flag early on.
The Blood Runners make a front line, the Master Tormentor a couple inches behind (Go forth minions!).
Marketh cowers behind the rock pile, then gets surrounded by Slingers.

IPB Image
Merc 1: Nothing amazing happening tactically yet.
The Heavies make a counter skirmish line to the Blood Runners, they keep back out of the Bronze backs charge range. Mangler gets Blur.
I stupidly forget the Blood Runners have stealth and waste Eiryss' activation. Oh well.
The coup for the turn is the left Renegade, who does a Sniped shot on a Slinger, killing three of them and Marketh, so that's one left Mortality a turn I have to deal with.

IPB Image
Skorne 2: Speaking of Mortality....

Xekaar gets Craft Talismaned up by the One Eyed Mystic. He then moves off the flag to Mortality the middle two Nomads, Maltreats for a point of camp and Feats.

The still plentiful Slingers move in and start flinging shots at Nomad #2, they do quite well. Well enough that the Blood Runners finish that Nomad off.

The Brute gets Rushed/Enraged and goes into Nomad #3, surprisingly takes out no systems but dings it a fair bit (10 boxes left).

Otherwise Skorne Heavies move up in threatening positions.

Out left Snapjaw enters that sides forest a bit, behind him his boss sings Star Crossed.

IPB Image
Merc 2: This is when I regret killing Marketh as I have a potential assassination run. Basically amount to if Eiryss hits a hard eight, then Xakaar loses his transfer, takes two fully boosted Oblit Rockets and dies. That's not an option, so grind out plan it is.

In terms of what I can do, priority is making attacks on the left where I'm not hampered by Xekaar's feat. I want to nullify the Slingers and Crocs as much as possible.

I forgo scoring to keep Magnus in the Trench, Iron Aggression goes on the left most Nomad who then slaps a bunch of Blood Runners upside the head, feeding Alexia.

Alexia then rides out to the left, drops three Thrall missiles and Repositions behind the forest.
Eiryss gains Snipe, moves way out to the left, shoots off Wrongeye's transfer point.
The Thralls then charge, the first misses courtesy of Star Crossed, second lands it, he fails the tough rolls, Crocs disappear. Lovely.

The Mangler is sadly only in charge range of a single Slinger, instead I run him up to engage a few of them.

On the right half, the Buccaneer positions weirdly to not engage Blood Runners, knocks down the Bronzeback with a net (The last game I saw Jeefer play the Bronzi counter charged his way into much glory).
I fire my remaining Obliterator Rocket at the unengaged Slinger group, leave one alive out of the targets.
The rest of the jacks swing at Blood Runners, leave two alive. Tinker repairs the damaged Jack for max hit point (Woot!).

IPB Image
Skorne 3: Xekaar Mortalities the right most Nomad and walks back to the Skorne Flag.

The Bronzeback then goes, easily mulches the Mortality stricken Nomad (Why did we give Warjacks to consider their existence of life span?!).

The Gladiator launches into the Mangler and noms it.

The remaining pair of Blood Runners kill the poor Tinker, the Master Tormentor gets to Alexia but only manages a single damage point, the Slingers kill a Thrall Warrior. The Brute sadly manages nothing, Jeffzodor not wanting to overheat his Fury (POW 12 also being a bit sad).

Skorne go to 1 CP.

IPB Image
Merc 3: Time to reverse that Heavy trading! I need to contest the opposing flag and get Nomads on Titans. I'm hoping to kill the Gladiator with more Thrall missiles, but that's the length of my expectations.

I upkeep Snipe on Eiryss and Iron Aggression on the left most Nomad for free.

Hoping to create some Fury issues, Eiryss knocks the Fury off the Gladiator. The IA'd Nomad then goes up, kills the Master Tormentor, a Slinger and hits the Gladiator with it's bought attacks, does pretty well.
Alexia, now chocked on souls, drops another three thralls (One is a green proxy base) and Repositions into the forest. Two of the thralls finish off the Gladiator, last one caps a Slinger. The two Thralls that survived previously kill a Slinger and keep engaging the Dakaar.

Magnus feats, puts Death Ward on the damaged Nomad and moves to my flag.

On the...I guess it's more the bottom of the zone than the right? The less healthy of the surviving Nomads moves up to engage the Bronzeback and hits him, does quite well. The Renegade on that side then goes in, manages to finish it off.
The Buccaneer shanks a Blood Runner, the other Renegade walks up to the Brute and promptly uses Future Sighting to correct Skorne's Fury count while doing sod all damage. Self sabotage at work!

Feat moves, the Nomads essentially swap so that the damaged one is away from the Brute, who is in turn engaged By the Iron Agressioned Nomad, the Fury generating Renegade and the Bucaneer.
The Renegade slayer-of-Bronzebacks runs out of my control area to contest the Skorne flag.

Mercs go to 1 CP.

IPB Image
Skorne 4: The sole surviving Blood Runner has the moment of his life as he charges Magnus in teh back. He does a couple points and wishes there was an Extoller to preserve his soul.

Xekaar gives up on scoring, moves up and puts Mortality on the damaged Nomad. He then attempts to deadweight the Thrall on the hill but misses.

Paingivers Enrage the Shaman and kill a Thrall.

The Shaman goes into the damaged Nomad, misses the opening attack. He then kills a Thrall.

Skorne concede before the Brute activates, I can easily kill the Brute with Thralls/Lights then send the Iron Aggressioned Nomad into Xekaar on one camp.

Well, that worked better than expected. It's nice running around with heavies and not giving too much of a damn about them. Mucked up my early upkeeps, Bluring the Mangler doesn't really matter when I have four non-Blurred def 10 Heavies, he should have had Iron Aggression while one of the Nomads got the armour buff.

Sniped Eiryss and recursion Alexia both make me happy, gives late game to the list. Plus Sniped Eiryss is hilarious, one day there will be a grind game and forcing a warlock to cut is going to be hilarious.
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Aug 6 2016, 12:47 AM
Post #54

Leapt onto another pair of ye old Journeyman games.

Game 1: The Grind nonsense continues!

Into Saul of Tarsus, rocking Canberra's favourite, ye old Skornidons.

It's Magnus with Mauler/Rover vs Xekaar with Gladiator and...um.....stabby Cyclops and shooty Cyclops (No magic Cyclops).

As always, it's the horrible struggle that is Sniped Rover shots. I pew pew the Savage (ah, that's his name) a couple times, Xekaar has a go at healing him up with non-calm surgery.

I attempt some snag and drag, moving the Mangler into range of just the Brute.

Xekaar then moves up a bit, Mortalities the Mangler, heals the Savage and does his whippy buffy action thing.

The Savage charges the Mangler, it's hitting a lot harder than expected (Didn't account for Xekaar's Strength increasing action) but Death Ward lets me flick damage around as needed. The charge attack hit for hard enough I had to sacrifice the left arm, I could have taken it on column 3/4 but that then puts Movement and Cortex at risk, whereas I don't really need the punching spike.

Gladiator then runs up in a threatening spot, Raider runs and engages the Rover.

IPB Image
I didn't quite work out the plan during the Skorne turn, as it was reliant on free strikes and done in ignorance of Magnus' feat granting Parry these days.

Magnus moves over, feats, sprays the Impaler for a bit of damage. In a fit of optimism, the Rover walks out of Xekaar's feat and shoots him on zero camp. I hit, then do a mighty 4 damage on boosted straight dice. Good thing I don't deserve any sympathy the way I play this list in this environment.

The Mangler then charges the Raider to get out of Xekaar's feat and easily kills it.

After my feat moves is when I popped the photo.

We played a couple turns after this, there's a blocking forest now and some severe incredulity that we're playing this on a 4x4 table. I can see the Mangled Metal Journeyman being much improved by making it a 3x3 table with very small deployments (four inches perhaps?). Then again, I'm not really the intended audience.

The next turn or two I repair the Mangler a bit and formulate my next plan, I'll move Death Ward to the Rover and drag in another Skorne beast. It doesn't get to that, as this has been to much agony for the Hoksunites.

Game 2: Bacon frying!

After some token resistance (It's not on players to balance the game!) I accede to the suggestion to switch to the Ossrum battlebox instead.

Got another one into Chapacon, the latest adherent of stereotypical Opera singers possessing some mass.

Pans out as Ossrum (Proxied by Gorten), a Driller, a pair of Gun Bunnies and a Spray Bunny into Helga, a War Hog, Battle Boar and a pair of Razor Boars.

I win the roll, pick first because it's easy, Snipe a Gun Bunny and Fire for Effect Ossrum. Three fully boosted Hand Cannons feels pretty good.

The Pigs run up, I shoot down a Razor Boar. Pigs run up again, the Razor Boar engages my Driller who is out front, followed by the Defenders Warded War Hog on a hill. Following them is Helga camping three and the Battle Boar.

IPB Image
The Driller doesn't kill a Defenders Warded War Hog, I could feat and pull back to do the Magnus games all over again, but I'm aiming for less demoralizing strategies (There isn't a different Mercs box to fall back on after all).

Helga has good defensive stats and is camping three, but she's in the open and I can get all my shots on her.

I fully load the Driller, then every gun in the list peppers her. I get some nonsense rolls to strip off two transfers and do some points. I then Energiser the Driller, copping a freestrike from the Rab for a few points. I have to charge to get distance (should have feated....), my charge attack is the claw because Set Defence is bad. I miss as expected, boost my initial Drill to strip the last transfer, then do a bought sustained attack for the win.

Pic is end of game state.

I had nothing left, had Helga survived then it's going to go bad for me (War Hog kills Driller, Battle Boar kills Spray Bunny). I then feat a turn late, spread out and take shots on Helga.

I'd been agonising on what to spend my 10 points on for next weeks games (We've done away with the Battlegroup models only restriction), I'd halfheartedly settled on the Devil's Shadow Mutineers, thankfully with Ossrum the choice is easy.
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Aug 6 2016, 07:16 PM
Post #55

Once more into the Journey breach.

Game 1: When Battle Boxes confuse

A random pickup into Gref the Cheg, though first we had to work out what the Legion BAttle box was (Come on, how am I meant to recognise a Neraph? I'd never seen one before...).

Anyway Ossrum and friends went into some sweet Proxy Legion of Kryysa, Neraph, Bolt Thrower, a pair of Shredders that will be in the next buddy cop movie.

As a terrible Merc player these days, I subbed in a Juggernaught to rep my totally-ordered-now Driller.

Legion run behind a cloud, I run up and divide around a forest. The Legion cloud went away at the end of my turn (I wish that clouds only went away on a 1. I rolled a 1 this time around, but that's not my point!).

The Legion stuff moves up again and headed to the right, the Shredders went into my Spray Bunny with Bulletdodger. They hit, and do about half its health, but fail to take out any systems.

IPB Image
This is after my next turn, the Gun Bunnies move up and with Snipe hits the Neraph nicely. The Spray Bunny uses Unstoppable Force to shove the Shredders away, then goes and does a bit mroe damage on the Neraph. I hit Kryssa to, who flicks it to a Shredder.

Ossrum and the Driller hide behind the trees.

After this, the non-Shredder Legion stuff goes into the trench and bizarrely everything fails to kill the Spray Bunny.

I put my Driller 11 away from the Neraph as the Gun Bunnies struggle to hit things in the trench.

Kryssa then feats and sends in the Neraph on the Driller as the Bolt Thrower finally gets the job done killing the Sprayer. The Legion rolls abysmally, only taking the Drillers left arm. I then counter kill it and chew my way through the rest of the Legion stuff with a couple turns.

Game 2: March of the Trollguins

Bradosaur throws down some of the blue fellas. Its the return of Ragnar, Doomies version of Regina George from Mean Girls. His Plastics squad is of course an Axer, Bouncer and Impaler.

Trolls run forward, I run forward not as much. Pulverize goes on the Axer.

Trolls then run forward again, mostly sitting on the hill, but the Impaler move up and shoots the Driller. He doesn't boost to hit my Def 9 model and to my shock misses, making my advice to not boost look super dodgy.

I feat, Ossrum enjoys being able to walk his charge distance and goes to a hill on the left, with the Gun Bunnies he plinks the Axer for a bit. The Spray Bunny walks up for a bit more on the Axer and missing Ragnar. My Driller then charges in and eats the Impaler.

IPB Image
Here's the Troll response to my diplomatic efforts, everything goes into my Driller and Ragnar feats. The Heavy stands with 5 boxes remaining, thankfully Cortex and Right arm are good to go.

The Troll are all engaged, which makes the plan easy. Spray bunny moves up and headbutts the Axer. Well, tries to. I miss the boosted 7. Eep.
The Driller then goes, courtesy of the damage from the early gun shots and some high single die damage rolls I manage to pop the Axer.

The Gun Bunnies then try to get involved, the first misses the Bouncer, ricochets into Ragnar, then the Bouncer Shield Guards it and I do no damage.
Well, what are the odds of that happening again? Other Bunny also shoots the Bouncer. Misses. Hits the Driller. Rolls exactly 5 damage to kill it.

Self sabotage is the game win condition right?

It's now Ragnar + Bouncer versus Ossrum +Bunnies.

The Trolls go over and kill the Spray Bunny (No less than the little scrub deserves), then Ragnar Digs the pair in. Ah. That's going to be an issue.

We then have a couple turns of me going back towards the corner, trying to soften up the Bouncer. The Trolls follow up and Dig in. My damage rolls are pretty bad and Regeneration is making this untenable.

The Bouncer ends up near enough that one Bunny Slams him, Ossrum then Energizes and charges. I'd failed to math for the shield, so this goes terribad. I end up killing the Bouncer to the box with my last attack. Dice rolling skills?
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Aug 7 2016, 09:01 PM
Post #56

Final day of week 1 of the Journeymans, so the last time the Ossrum nonsense happens.

Game 1: Return of Eggman

Malekus returns, this time piloted by Lane of Locks.

Early on the Menites charge forward, get their flamey jack shot for a bit, then fall back to a forest. It takes an Energiser, but I then pummel the Arc node fella for a bit.

The Menite jacks then move out, the node wonders way forward to arc a Scourge that misses.
I then eat the Arc Node with my Driller and pop a Bullet Dodger Spray Bunny in the way.
Malekus feats, shoots the Spray Bunny, takes out the Movement. Def 7 Dodge, you can do it!
The Menite jacks then happily eat the Spray Bunny.

IPB Image

I then feat and eat the little jack, plus knock off the arm of the Castigatororor.
Left to Malekus and the Heavy, the jack manages to strip the Driller of Everything but its Cortex.
Driller Heabutts the Menothon Jack down, then Gun Bunnies finish it off.

Maybe Gastonne2 will be a reasonable Merc Battle Box caster instead?

Game 2: Scorched Hoof

Into Big L with the distracting Helga.
I blow up a Razor Boar early, the Minions then make the right choice and run everything up as much as they can.
I use Unstoppable Force and the Spray Bunny to move the beasts out of the way, Gun Bunnies and Driller kill Helga.

IPB Image

Ho hum. I've played far more of these Battle Box games than expected, I can live without replaying that stuff for a while. I'm very interested in what 10 points of stuff people will pick up (Menoth with the snoozy exception of Choir).
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Aug 8 2016, 11:10 PM
Post #57

Sweet acceleration to 10 points for Journeymans!

Dwarf Jacks being things of beauty and loving Slams as I do, a Basher entered my list and I called it a day.

Our first round is a rematch into Hadam, still with the chump that lit a candle once, got entranced and boiled himself into an egg.

Malekus1 - Castigator, Rarc Node, Rlamethrower light, Choir, Venger cannony thing

So, because the league has been modified and what not (Trolls with four Lights? that's going to be a wretched list at the end....) Mangled Metal isn't going to be suitable. I didn't think to ask about that, so instead of Take and Hold like we were meant to we just bashed war dollies together (endowed like Ken Dolls though they be).

IPB Image
Top of 2: Opening turns of running, sure enough the Menoth Jacks get ye olde Passage to stop the Gun Bunny love.

I counter this by cycling Snipe, killing two Choir and putting my jacks at me superior threat range (I out threat considerably with feat, not at all after). The Menoth Boom Crew have found a lovely picnic spot on the hill.

The Menites respond by running the Arc Node across, Malekus feats and Scourges all the Bunnies. The other light advances and does a flamethrower shot, the Boom Crew get a hit in and wipe out a Gun Bunny.

IPB Image
Top of 3: Fire dings me a bit on the remaining lights, because they are amazing no systems are lost.
Stuff has wondered into threat range, so it's go time on the feat.
Gun Bunny moves to make room in the trench and plinks the Arc Node for a bit, Ossrum feats and hides behind him.
The Basher slams the Arc Node into the Flamey thrower, buys attacks, leaves him on a couple boxes of Cortex and an Arc Node.
Spray Bunny moves up and kills the Boom Cannon.
Driller then charges into the Castigator, takes out most of it's health but its Cortex and right arm are still good.

IPB Image
Bottom of 3: Malekus ignites the Castigator, does a spray attack that manages to miss the Basher.
The Flamethrower moves up and does a shot on Ossrum but misses him.
Castigator fires up, burns the left arm off the Driller.

IPB Image
Top of 4: Gun Bunny finishes off the Arc Node, Spray Bunny kills Choir, Driller kills Castigator, Basher Slams Malekus, then follows up and headbutts him into the ground.

Glorious Slam bot!

I expected needing to take pot shots on Choir, I'd forgotten how much Ossrum lets me Alpha hard against the opposing range of casters.
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Aug 9 2016, 12:05 AM
Post #58

Up next in shenanigans, its Marquise de Marteen with the Undead/Pirate/Dragon Worshiping Cult. You know, that faction with a refined theme and all.

Joining Agatha's Bone Chicken, Reaper and Slayer are Tartare man and a Machine Wraith.

Now instituting actual scenario!

I went first, ran stuff forward. Martagorg runs Agatha up into a trench, other stuff behind.

So....threat ranges weren't checked, with feat and Energiser I can get the Basher into Agatha. Ergo...

IPB Image
Ossrum does the thing, also shoots Agatha for a few points stripping her one focus camp.

Basher then slams in, lands the boosted hit roll, kills her with a focus to spare.

Quick break, into the next iteration of bearer of crosses with some robot lovin.

Syntherion, in addition to a range of jacks that definitely have names has added ye olde Corrolary and the....arc nodey dude.

I go first, stuff runs up, Snipe and Bullet Dodger go out. The audience is shocked and appaleed at this change of pace.

IPB Image
Bottom of 1: Convergence run up in counter, Syntherion up the back.

Magnetic Hold could wreck my day, so I opt to shoot the Node man. He's hiding behind one of the lights, but after a dismal miss the second Bunny puts him down.

IPB Image
Bottom of 2: In reply, the Heavy moves up a bit and does a shot on the Driller, then the whatsit jack that gives Hunters Mark does so on the Driller, finally the Galvaniser goes in and takes out the Drillers left arm and some armour. More than I appreciated at any rate.

Syntherion has moved up onto the hill, it's killing time!

I do have to move the Lights out of the way though, so I feat and cast Unstoppable Force.

The Spray Bunny then goes for a long run, pushing both lights out of the way. I unwittingly screwed up this point, not pre-measuring or giving enough time to the Convergence jack positioning. The Basher slams the further away light, but into the Corollary instead of Syntherion. They get dinged up, but it wasn't a good use of a fully loaded heavy.

The Driller then goes into not knock downed Syntherion, burns through his bog focus pile and leaves him on 7 boxes.

The Bunnies then have to try to hit Def 19 and not knocked down Syntherion, naturally they fail.

IPB Image
Bottom of 3: Syntherion feats, the various jacks up back build up synergy, the heavy also hits Ossrum for about five points. Max Synergy Galvaniser then goes in, kills Ossrum to the box.

Well, I messed that up. I had the tools to go for Synth, but after the Slam I should have recognised my screw up and made the attrition play. The Gun Bunnies can finish off the Corrolary while the Driller pops the Galvaniser from behind them, but alas such things happen.
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Aug 9 2016, 11:55 PM
Post #59

Okay, I may have written this a couple days ago then forgotten about it. Works being busy (Read: My work PC had a conniption and I had to twiddle my thumbs during lunch break instead of doing super important Warmachine Forum posting).

Final 10 point Journeyman match for the night, into the latest convert to civilisation destroying Woodstock attendees, Dward the Druid.

Alongside Tannith there remains the Pureblood, the Gorax, the WILD Argus, joining is a min unit of Reeves (I can only assume Blood Trackers are to expensive?).

Take and Hold again, obviously it's Ossrum and mechanical puppet friends.

IPB Image
Circle 1: I won the roll and went second. This isn't the super fast teleporting Circle, so I'm content to have the option to score first.
Also one table side had a terrible stonking puddle of water I didn't want to deal with.
Winterguard Rifle Corp are the Reeves, Tannith is the model in green.
Admonition goes on the Pureblood.

Merc 1: Ossrum Energizes, moves toward my friendly flag, Heavies run up and shield him (I've been CRA'd before thankyou very much). The Spray Bunny goes out left, intending to contest the Circle flag or get into a good spray spot. Gun Bunnies go, one shoots the Pureblood for 7 points, the other kills a Reeve.

IPB Image
Circle 2: Tannith runs away from Heavies into the trees!
Gorax hangs back, Reeves ping the Basher for a couple points, Pureblood goes into the trench, Argus is behind him.

IPB Image
Merc 2: It's feat and try to pop the Pureblood turn. I load up the Basher (i.e. the wrong jack in joyous hindsight). I give an extra focus to the forward Gun Bunny.

Gun Bunny slams at the Pureblood, this forces him to use his admonition move, which skirts him to the left side of the trench.
That problem dealt with, it's confirmed the Basher is in feat walk range.
Driller runs up engaging a Reeve to make room for Ossrum.
Ossrum goes, pops his once per game shenanigan, moves to the flag, double boosts a shot into the Argus. The back Gun Bunny then finishes the Argus off, so that was nice.
Basher goes into Warpwolf, I realise to late I need to boost to hit, so hit him but don't kill him. Spray bunny wonders up and kills a Reeve, pings the Warpwolf for a bit more.

Number of mistakes here. The Spray Bunny should have gone for a slam, so that makes the basher able to do four attack. I still potentially don't kill, but get a lot closer.

In any event I go to 1 CP, have feated jacks jammed up, should be fine I think.

Circle 3: Tannith feats and throws spells out.
The Reeves back up, I miss with a Driller free strike. They then do no damage.
Pureblood gets healed, Primalled, Scything touch, moves in and maxes Fury to kill the Driller. Ah.
Primalled Gorax charges Basher, spends three fury buying attacks, I discover Scything Touch now gives Dark Shroud, fortunately the dice show mercy and the Basher is barely scraped.

I go to 2 CP.

IPB Image
Merc 3: Tanith didn't really move, constrained by her need to buff the Pureblood. Both beasts are Primalled, I reason the play is to get the Beasts to Frenzy on each other and get the Basher on Tannith, then likely I'll just need to pop a few Reeves to score the winning CP's in my next turn.
Basher gets loaded up, Ossrum aims, kills a Reeve, casts unstoppable Force.
The forward Gunner runs, Bulldozes the two beasts away from the Basher and next to each other. He then moves to the back corner of the trench, ready to bulldoze contesting Reeves away next turn.

Basher slams Tannith, lands the boosted hit roll, knocks her max distance away, ameliorated by the forest. I then follow up, do my Flak field, Slam damage and a bought attack.

To my surprise she dies. I'd failed to recognise that the Gorax is only Fury 3 now and was maxed out, so she had no transfer targets.

Out threatening Circle feels so good. Better get more games in this week before that changes with Stones and/or Hunters Mark coming in next week.
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Aug 13 2016, 02:57 AM
Post #60

Jolty time, like Chico time but completely different.

It's some People Journey, still at the mighty 10 point level.

Still rocking the Dorf Ossrum with Jacks, this time the protagonist of the story is run by Haimeister using Koleslaw, a Juggernaught, a Decimator with the addition of a min unit of Shocktroopers.

IPB Image
Round 1: I win the roll, pick the side with a better defensive wall near the friendly flag.
Stuff runs at each other, much wows. Photos sadly fail to show the amazing pinkness that is Haidwans Lord Koleslaw.
I have Snipe on a Bunny and Fire for Effect on Ossrum, the Reds have Tactical Supremacy on the unit, Fury on the Juggernaught and the Steady whatsit spell on the Warcaster.

IPB Image
Khador 2: The Jacks slog through the forest, Koslov stays at the back of said terrain. The Shocktroopers move up and Shield Wall, then Tac Supremacy forward.

IPB Image
Merc 2: Alpha time! Ossrum feats and moves to my friendly flag.
The Basher slams the middle Shocktrooper, breaking the Shield wall, then buys attacks to kill the two left near him.
Driller goes into the Juggernaught, takes out the right arm and cortex.
One Gunner finishes off the Shocktrooper I slammed, the other slams the Decimator back. The Spray Bunny then runs to ensure the Decimator can't charge Ossrum, I get a CP.
+Quote Post

35 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th November 2019 - 02:56 PM