3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Battle reports
nerm
post Feb 10 2013, 06:11 PM
Post #21

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 10,704

Nice bat rep dude. Unfortunately Infinity is taking up all my time now so my wolves are left I assembled and unpainted
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Kips
post Feb 21 2013, 06:44 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 14,088

Great battle reports all round, It was an entertaining read.

P.S. I really love the square block terrain pieces you were using. The way you built them up into walls and structures has an awesome effect.

--------------------
Check out Slaughterfest
It's ForceZ for ACT/NSW! 5 Games, 750 points, No Comp!

2014... The year of learning to not be a terrible painter >.<
+Quote Post
spaceninjajetpilot
post Feb 21 2013, 07:36 PM
Post #23

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,550

Thanks, Kips!

The walls are just solid pieces of blue styrofoam carved to look like individual blocks.

If you want a closer look, stop by for a game!

--------------------
If you're keeping your cool, while everyone around you is losing theirs, you might not fully grasp the situation.
+Quote Post
spaceninjajetpilot
post Feb 22 2013, 06:49 PM
Post #24

Battle Report 10

Rob's Dark Eldar vs. SNJP's Red Templars - 1750 Points

We've officially begun "tournament training" using 1750 point lists. Rob's gearing up for Terracon in a few months, and my sites are set on Wintercon.

Mission: Purge the Alien.
Deployment: Dawn of War.

Rob was keen to try out "Purge the Alien," a real widowmaker of a scenario. No objectives, just kill or be killed. And from the first turn, this was an all out slugfest.

After the previous beatdown, Rob swore revenge, and he came to collect it with every big gun in his arsenal. 14 Dark Lances, Drazhar, and Lelith.

IPB Image

I stuck with things that had been working lately. A Squadron of 2 Typhoons, as many Lascannons and Plasmaguns as I could get, and a Quad Assault Cannon to counter Rob's Razorwing.

IPB Image

Turn 1: Dark Eldar

I failed to seize, and Drazhar's Raider turbo boosted to the center of the field.

The question on both our minds was whether Rob's crappy dice luck would screw him again. Then one Ravager destroyed a Dreadnought's Missile Launcher, and the second Ravager exploded the other Dread for First Blood and a Kill Point.

Lelith's Raider killed an Assault Marine, and another Raider scored two glancing hits on my Predator. A solid opening turn.

Turn 1: Red Templars

I fought back hard. My Typhoons destroyed a Raider, and 3 Kabalite Warriors in the ensuing explosion.

IPB Image

My Damaged Dreadnought exploded Drazhar's Raider and killed 4 Incubi with its Lascannon. Two Las/Plas Crusader Squads and my Quad cannon wiped out Drazhar and all but one of his Incubi.

IPB Image

If that wasn't enough, my Predator Wrecked another Raider.

IPB Image

4 points to 2 after only a single turn!

Turn 2: Dark Eldar

Rob turned up the heat. A Blaster from his Raider exploded my Predator, and in a devastating strike, a Ravager destroyed the Aegis Defence line, the Quad cannon, and 4 Crusader Marines.

IPB Image

The last of Drazhar's Incubi charged and fell to my Crusader squad,

IPB Image

but Lelith made up for it. She challenged my Jump Chaplin and scored 2 Wounds to his 1 against her. Her Blood Brides wiped out the entire Assault Squad.

IPB Image

Turn 2: Red Templars

I could see a nasty situation unfolding. Even with the Emperor's Champion and 2 CC oriented Crusader squads nearby, I had nothing that could stand up to Lelith and her Brides. They were already engaged with one squad, protecting them from any shooting, and they could conceivably charge from one unit to the next, slicing their way through my entire army before I got a shot off!

I backed my Rhinos away and disembarked the Crusaders.

IPB Image

The Typhoons glanced a Raider, but the Chaplain was easily wiped out by Lelith for the Kill and Warlord points.

IPB Image

Turn 3: Dark Eldar

Rob's Razorwing entered from Reserves and launched a nasty salvo against a Rhino and the newly disembarked squad. It Glanced the Rhino, and killed 3 Crusaders.

A Raider and 2 Ravagers hammered my Typhoons. 1 shaken, 1 stunned.

IPB Image

Just as I'd feared, Lelith and her Brides used Fleet to charge into my Champion's squad. She challenged him, and slaughtered him almost before he could accept, while her entourage finished off the rest. I needed to shake things up.

IPB Image

Turn 3: Red Templars

My Typhoons glanced a Raider, but this turn, and the game at large, hinged on one thing...

I had one chance to stop Lelith's unrelenting onslaught. The Rhino facing Lelith backed away, opening up a long line of sight along the table edge. I moved my last Dreadnought into it, and moved every gun I had into optimal firing range. It was about the best tactical move I could have made, but would it be enough?!

IPB Image

IPB Image

Alas, it was not. I missed with a Lascannon, the Plasmagun, and most of the Bolters. The Dread's Twin-Linked hit, but failed to wound. All that firepower managed to kill only 3 Blood Brides.

After that, it was the Dark Eldar show.

Turn 4: Dark Eldar

Rob's Raiders and Ravagers exploded a Typhoon, glanced my Dread, and smoked the Crusader squad that had manned the Aegis line.

The Razorwing exploded a Rhino and 3 of the Crusaders using it for cover, while Warriors killed off two more.

IPB Image

And just because she could, Lelith wiped out my last Las/Plas Crusader squad.

IPB Image

Turn 4: Red Templars

I tried to even the odds by turning my Typhoon's Frag missiles on the disembarked Warriors ahead of them, but they were only able to kill 7.

My Dread destroyed the Dark Lance on Lelith's Raider. It was my last hurrah.

Turn 5: Dark Eldar

Lelith and her Brides boarded her Raider and left the area awash in Templar blood. (This move wasn't tactically remarkable, but I did feel a tinge of insult among all the injury.)

After that, Rob wrecked my last Typhoon, Dreadnought and Rhino in quick succession.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

At this, only Dark Eldar remained. Rob tabled me, getting his payback to the tune of 17 points to 5.

In the end, it was my luck that had run out. I had lived under this threat since my first game against Rob, but with this crippling defeat, I finally saw what it looked like when 14 Dark Lances worked as they should.

Rob also made excellent use of the terrain at hand, keeping his vehicles protected while exploiting available lines of sight. Many of my shooting choices were made simply because I had nothing else to shoot at.

We agreed that the game was closer than the scoreboard. My list wasn't weak. It had depth and redundancy, as proven by Drazhar's quick exit, but the early loss of my Predator left me woefully outgunned, and knowing full well how dangerous Lelith is up close, I failed to give her enough space. A well deserved victory for Rob.

--------------------
If you're keeping your cool, while everyone around you is losing theirs, you might not fully grasp the situation.
+Quote Post
Kips
post Feb 23 2013, 09:35 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 14,088

I'm just waiting on a few orders from verious places to come in before I can start gaming without proxies for my newly rebuilt Eldar army. Once I have them though, I'd be more then happy to come around for a few games.

I myself am working on my lists for wintercon too.

Also, How was the Aegis Defence line killed in that game? I thought you coulf only take out the defense cannons but the defense line itself can't be removed. Perhaps I have misread or read over a few key rules there.

This post has been edited by Kips: Feb 23 2013, 09:37 AM

--------------------
Check out Slaughterfest
It's ForceZ for ACT/NSW! 5 Games, 750 points, No Comp!

2014... The year of learning to not be a terrible painter >.<
+Quote Post
spaceninjajetpilot
post Feb 23 2013, 05:14 PM
Post #26

Evidently, we got that one wrong, too. We treated the Aegis line the same as any Fortification, but as far as destroying it goes, its supposed to be treated like ruins. The Quad Gun is supposed to have Toughness and Wounds, or something like that.

--------------------
+Quote Post
spaceninjajetpilot
post Feb 23 2013, 09:29 PM
Post #27

Battle Report - 11

Training Day 2 featured a Double Header! Both lists were tweaked after yesterday's game, and we started early to try Version 2 in a couple different scenarios. I think we both learned some valuable lessons.

Mission: The Will of the Emperor
Deployment: Dawn of War

We rolled for a Dawn of War deployment, and that method is no joke. The shallow field all but eliminates the opportunity to creep out cautiously and seize tactical positions just beyond your deployment zone.

IPB Image

It also puts the longest attacks immediately into play.

IPB Image

Rob deployed first, placing his transports in good cover and beyond my range.

After the 17 - 5 pasting I took the day before, I was terrified of a repeat, and stacked almost everything to go after Lelith.

IPB Image

From the outset, I ran into problems. Namely: NIGHT FIGHTING. It was in effect the first turn, and it took a heavy toll.

It forced me to move units out of cover to get into range, and left some of my heaviest hitters without targets.

IPB Image

My Lascannons destroyed 2 Disintegrator Cannons, and my Typhoon Squadron exploded Lelith's Raider.

IPB Image

Unhindered by Night Fighting, Rob struck back by going after my Quad Gun, his new favorite target. A Ravager scored 3 penetrating hits on it and blew it to bits, killing a Crusader Marine in the explosion.

IPB Image

The other Ravager destroyed a Typhoon, but with 2 more bearing down, Lelith ran for cover.

Turn 2 Red Templars

My Typhoons gave chase, and managed to wipe out Lelith's entourage. My Lazerback followed up with a direct Lascannon hit on Lelith herself, getting me First Blood and the Warlord Point.

IPB Image

Losing his Warlord lit a fire under the Dark Eldar, who struck back with fury. The Razorwing entered from Reserves and headed straight for my Assault Squad, all alone on the far end of the field. My Chaplain soaked up a lot of damage, but the squad lost 2 marines.

IPB Image

Rob's Raiders and Ravagers wiped out the Aegis Line Crusader Squad, exploded a Dreadnought, a Lazerback, and the last 2 Typhoons.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Meanwhile, the Archon's Raider sailed over a wall and dropped its deadly cargo only inches away from the Templar Objective. They waded straight in and butchered its guardians to a man.

IPB Image

Reeling from Rob's devastating attacks, I was staring at another crushing defeat. Unable to withstand the loss of my Objective, I retreated my Lazerback toward my table edge and disembarked its squad. Left unprotected by Assault, the Archon and three of his Incubi fell to the torrent of fire from the Lazerback and 2 Crusader Squads, but it was hardly an answer to Rob's last turn.

IPB Image

The only thing that could slow Rob down was his famous Dark Lance luck, which reared its head just in time. He missed on 8 Lances.

IPB Image

The Razorwing killed a single Marine, and the Incubi killed the Champion's Crusaders, while losing one of their own.

IPB Image

On the other side of the battlefield, the Master of Sanctity had been leading his Assault Squad on a desperate flanking move to the Dark Eldar Objective. At the head of the pack, he was able to soak up a Blaster shot and 6 Splinters.

IPB Image

While Rob had lost momentum, I attempted to capitalize. My Dreadnought Wrecked the Archon's Raider, and while the Champion's Squad tied up the Incubi, the other Crusaders retook the Objective.

IPB Image]

IPB Image

The Lazerback destroyed a Ravager Dark Lance and the Champion slayed another Incubi.

Rob's woes continued. He Glanced the last Dreadnought, but missed on 9 straight Dark Lances, and couldn't wound the Emperor's Champion.

IPB Image

Across the field, withering fire whittled the Chaplain's squad to 2. And with only a wound left, his charge was looking like a longer shot.

IPB Image

Turn 5: Red Templars

Getting close, the Chaplain and his Assault Marines make a run for the Dark Eldar Objective.

IPB Image

Victorious, the Emperor's Champion joined the last Crusader Squad at the Templar Objective. The Dreadnought Explodes a Raider nearby, killing 4 Kabalite Warriors.

With the end looming and the points even, Rob was in a tear to wipe me out. He sent everything he had left.

IPB Image

He closed in with his Kabalite squad, Wrecked the Lazerback and the Dread, and a Blaster killed the Chaplain for the Warlord Point.

IPB Image

Turn 6: Red Templars

The Champion charged the Kabalite Squad and slashed 3 of them, leaving the last to escape.

IPB Image

Turn 6: Dark Eldar

Rob Ravagers rounded the wall and encircled the last remnants of the Templar Army, the Emperor's Champion and 2 Crusaders. His Dark Lance luck showed itself one last time, and despite fire raining down upon them, a single Crusader remained in control of the Objective as I rolled to end the game.

IPB Image

I scored First Blood, Warlord and controlled an Objective for 5 Points. Rob scored Warlord, Linebreaker and his own Objective for the same. A Draw.

This result was the opposite of the day before. It was nowhere near as close as the scoreboard. I had a single model left on the board. I didn't lose on a technicality, and frankly, it felt cheap, as I was soundly beaten.

I let my fear of Lelith dictate both my deployment and my opening strategy. I looked no further ahead than her destruction, and that short sightedness prevented me from spreading the fight out over the rest of the battlefield and perhaps supporting my Warlord enough to effectively challenge Rob's objective.

Yet again, Rob made very few, if any, tactical errors. He protected his Objective, and used his speed and Melee capabilities to their fullest extent. Two straight turns of dismal dice rolling were all that kept Victory out of his reach.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Wilock
post Feb 23 2013, 09:43 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 11,891

Another brilliant report Mike.

2 points for the crowd. a)It was after this game that we learnt the actual way of dealing with attacking the quad gun(not that I went after it in the 3rd game) so all is good, we did learn. and b)it was a glaring error that lead to that marine surviving. NEVER ASSUME an IC has joined the squad just because hes standing nearby..........

All in all another good game and proof that anything can happen with the roll of a dice.

--------------------
Something Wicked this way comes.
Evil is everywhere, so why fight it :-D

+Quote Post
tau_railgun
post Feb 23 2013, 10:35 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 2,747

I've gotta get out and have a few games with you boys- you've got great terrain and seem to be getting a lot of games in!! These batreps are great, really enjoy reading them!!

Im in Dunlop (Belco)- where are most of the CNSG people located? are is there a common place to play?

Cheers,
Andrew smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
spaceninjajetpilot
post Feb 24 2013, 02:12 AM
Post #30

Battle Report - 12

Rob's Dark Eldar vs. SNJP's Red Templars - 1750 Points.

Game 2 of our Double Header proved an entirely different experience from Game 1 with the same lists. What a difference the Mission makes!

Mission: The Scouring
Deployment: Hammer and Anvil

I was excited to try this mission. With Fast Attack as Scoring units, it gave my list a distinct advantage. This was all but negated by the placement of the 6 Objectives. Each was randomly assigned a Victory Point value, but the Points in the Dark Eldar Deployment zone were worth twice as much as mine, forcing me to take the fight to them.

Rob deployed knowing this full well. He parked Lelith on an Objective and kept her there the whole game, protecting both the objective and his Warlord.

IPB Image

I deployed ready to advance, already facing an uphill battle.

IPB Image

Rob deployed a squad of Kabalites, taking control of a second Objective, and with 2 Ravagers he Wrecked a Typhoon.

IPB Image

He also tried to eliminate my Warlord early, but his Invulnerable save shook it off.

IPB Image

My Typhoons and Quad gun Exploded both Ravagers, and a Lazerback destroyed a Raider.

IPB Image

On the other side of the field, my second Lazerback had crept up, giving it the slightest view of Lelith's Raider, parked behind good cover deep in the Dark Eldar zone.

IPB Image

I took a shot at it, giving Rob a 2+ Cover save.

The result? A destroyed Disintegration Cannon.

IPB Image

Rob consolidated his Raiders behind cover, lashing out with Blasters and Dark Lances, but were unable to hit the Typhoons.

IPB Image

With a Dreadnought, Quad Gun and Typhoons covering the left edge of the board, and a Lazerback and Dreadnought positioned with good lines of site up the middle, I decided to move the Master of Sanctity and his Assault Squad for the wall protecting the Kabalite's Objective. It proved to be an important tactical error.

IPB Image

The Typhoons advanced, Exploding a Raider and killing 5 Kabalites.

The Razorwing arrived from Reserves, and the Archon's Raider moved out from behind the wall, disembarking its troops only inches away from the Chaplain and his squad. The Archon challenged him, slaying him in a single turn and trapping his soul, which doubled his Strength, and secured the Warlord Point.

His Incubi made short work of the Assault Marines.

IPB Image

Hungry for revenge, I turned my Typhoons, 2 Dreadnoughts and a Lazerback on them, but after Feel No Pain and a dozen other things, all that firepower managed to kill only 4 Incubi.

IPB Image

A Kabalite Squad, pinned since their Raider Exploded in turn 2, finally moved toward the Objective in the centre of the Dark Eldar zone.

IPB Image

Raiders Explode a Typhoon and a Lazerback, killing a Crusader. The Champion's Lazerback was Glanced and Shaken, and then Wrecked by the Archon.

IPB Image

With time running out, one Crusader Squad crossed over the wrecked hull of their Lazerback, and headed toward the unclaimed Objective in the centre of the battlefield. The Las/Plas squad nearby abandoned the single point Objective they held to join them, but terrain slowed their progress.

IPB Image

The Quad Gun found enough of a hole in its cover to fire at the Razorwing, destroying its Splinter Cannon.

IPB Image

The Champion's Squad and a Dreadnought kill a couple of Incubi, and the other Dread Explodes the Archon's Raider.

With no guns left, the Champion and his squad charged the Archon and his lone Incubi. The Champion challenged, but met the same fate as the Chaplain, and the Archon's strength increased to 10.

IPB Image

The Kabalite Squad took control of its target Objective, the most valuable one on the field.

IPB Image

The last Typhoon moved into contest range with a Dark Eldar Objective, costing it 3 Victory Points.

IPB Image

The Dreadnoughts Exploded one last Raider, and killed 2 more Warriors, and the Quad Gun Wrecked the Razorwing. The last two Crusader Squads, both racing for the centre Objective, opted to run, but were slowed by the burning jet.

IPB Image

After that, the game was rolled to an end.

Rob controlled two objectives worth 6 points, scored Linebreaker and Warlord for 8 points. I controlled one worth 2 points, and scored First Blood for 3. Victory: Rob.

The Objective placement did me in on this fight. Everything was stacked in Rob's favor, forcing me to move quicker than I was capable of. Rob had only to sit back and throw wrenches into my plans. And on top of that, I made key mistakes. Moving my Warlord and Assault Marines forward prematurely, not abandoning my low point objectives to move on more valuable ones early enough, and allowing myself to get drawn into Close Combat with forces I cannot possibly match.

Again, Rob made no errors that I could see. He knows how to deploy his forces to make the best use of their speed and abilities. He'll forget the occasional re-roll, but the only thing that ever really hems him up is cold dice.

My record against Rob is now 5 Losses, one of which was a complete massacre not 2 days ago, and 2 Draws, both of which were cheap draws-by-technicality. Had either of those games gone another turn, they would have been solid losses. I know I'm new at this, but I've got to admit frustration.

Despite Rob's optimism, I just don't think I have an army list that can beat him without relying on his bad luck. Everyone needs a little luck per game, but I need Rob rolling catastrophically. The outdated Codex is obviously a big culprit, but the DE are just better.

Whole Squads of CC weapons that don't allow an armor save. I don't mind being slower, as long as I can rely on being tougher, but I can't.

CC weapons that actually reduce the number of attacks I have in CC.

Pain Tokens, Combat Drugs and special rules that allow them to re-roll EVERYTHING.

Vehicles with Jink, Flicker Fields, Night Shields AND are unaffected by Night Fighting?

Cheap Dedicated transports, bristling with Dark Lances, that can dictate what units I enter CC against. My Assault Marines could easily outfight a squad of Kabalite Warriors, but the speed of their transports can completely remove those decisions from me.

Named Independent Characters that are not only better than anything I can field right now, but cheaper by a mile.

UN-named Characters that are better than anything I can field right now, and even cheaper than Named Characters.

A Flyer I can only destroy with a Fortification that steals precious points I desperately need elsewhere.

AP 1 Template weapons.

You get the idea. I'm not saying its IMPOSSIBLE to win, I'm just saying that no amount of tactical planning or list building can overcome the discrepancies between these two armies. Unless Rob rolls bad, I'm screwed.

So expect a change in the near future. I guess its a good thing I painted them Red!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Wilock
post Feb 24 2013, 09:36 AM
Post #31

Member No.: 11,891

Cmon Mike ita not as doom and gloom as all that.

2 of my wins were turn 6/7 stolen at the death type wins and theres the draws. Ignore the first 2-3games where ypu were foot slogging and your record isnt that bad.

As we discussed yeaterday, aim for the DE weak points. You had me screwed whilst flattening my vehicles and warriors it was only once you focused on the archon that it all went south.

Your lists are getting stronger each game, and remember, you're still learning how to best use many of your units(transports and landspeeders), where ive had a similar list and playstyle for ages. Chin up mate dont throw in the towel on the templars just yet. end of the day gotta remember 3 key points. 1) bts are the oldest most out of date codex vs one built for 5th ed but with 6th ed in mind 2) your still learning getting used to all the ins and outs of both the game and ur codex, takes time. And 3) records in these games dont mean much, we are both using them to learn rules, test lists and have fun, worry bout records when theres money and/prizes involved.

Next game we'll swap armies and you can give the glass cannons a crack. Ask hypnotoad1 just how well i went when learning the game and my army.

--------------------
Something Wicked this way comes.
Evil is everywhere, so why fight it :-D

+Quote Post
Hypnotoad1
post Feb 24 2013, 11:32 AM
Post #32

Member No.: 11,915

Trust me Mike, I will make you feel a lot better next Sunday. I have about 100 Orks ready for you to mow down. Get your blokes some confidence back!
+Quote Post
spaceninjajetpilot
post Feb 24 2013, 06:29 PM
Post #33

I'm psyched for it, Pat! Should be a good time!

--------------------
+Quote Post
spaceninjajetpilot
post Mar 2 2013, 12:40 AM
Post #34

Battle Report - 13

Rob and I had the evening off so we decided to put together an impromptu battle.

Mission: Crusade
Deployment: Vanguard Strike

Rob decided to try a list that featured none of his name characters, instead opting for two Archons, who were just as deadly, and certainly more than a match for anything I could muster.

I brought my strongest list yet, loaded with long range armour. Essentially, I removed anything resembling a CC unit except a Master of Sanctity and a 5 Marine Jump entourage.

The Vanguard Strike deployment is another in-your-face set up. Rob rolled to go first, but luckily for me, Night Fighting would wait until turn 5 at the earliest.

The diagonal deployment left the better terrain in Rob's deployment zone, and he set up using it. I wasn't left with much, but I deployed the majority of my forces behind it and managed to cut down Rob's LOS, but with first turn, it wouldn't really matter.

IPB Image

IPB Image

With the Warlord deep behind cover, the other Archon sped right toward my objective, guarded by 2 Las/Plas squads and my Assault Marines.

IPB Image

Rob's first goal was to eliminate the mobility of my Crusader Squads by targeting my Lazerbacks. The Ravagers exploded the first, leaving the Emperor's Champion and his squad out in the open, and glanced the 2nd.

First Blood = Rob.

From my first turn, the Predators began earning their keep. They started by taking out both Ravagers.

I was desperate to keep the Archon and his Incubi from getting into Close Combat with my Objective holders, so I poured 2 Twin Linked Lascannons and 7 Krak missiles into the Archon's Raider before finally Exploding it with a Dread.

IPB Image

The Archon and his Incubi ran towards the Templar Objective.

With his Warlord Archon safely disembarked on the objective, Rob moved 3 Raiders toward my first Predator.

IPB Image

They exploded the Predator and vaporized the Champion and his squad.

IPB Image

Good run and Charge rolls get the Archon in range with room to spare. He Challenged the Master of Sanctity, but neither was able to wound the other. The Incubi killed all but one of the Assault Marines, but the remaining Marine pounded 2 with a Power Fist.

IPB Image

I was worried. Despite my delaying tactics, Rob had succeeded in getting his Archon and Incubi into close combat with my Assault Marines. I had a Dreadnought and 2 full Las/Plas squads surrounding the melee, but wouldn't be able to turn any of that firepower on them as long as the Assault Marines held on. I kept one squad on the objective, moved the other away, and expected the worst.

My shooting was dead on, though. The Typhoons, the Predator, and a Dreadnought each Exploded a Raider, and dealt massive casualties to the Warriors inside.

IPB Image

But the biggest upset in the battle came next. The Master of Sanctity held off the Archon's attacks, before crushing him with 4 solid hits! The Power Fist Marine even managed to survive, killing another Incubi.

IPB Image

Turn 2 completely changed the game. Rob's mobility was gone, leaving Kabalite Squads stranded all over the field.

The Razorwing arrived from Reserves, bring Rob some much needed reinforcement. He aimed right for the Las/Plas Crusader Squad I had moved clear of the melee, and completely wiped it out.

IPB Image

Nearby, the Incubi lost the melee, but managed to score a wound on the Chaplain before dying.

My Dreadnought Wrecked Rob's last Raider. The Dark Eldar were left without mobility or heavy weapons. I moved my Lazerback toward the center objective and sent the Typhoons to systematically wipe out the last of the dismounted squads.

IPB Image

The only threat left was the Razorwing. Rob turned it to the only target in range, a Dreadnought, but it failed to hit.

The rampage continued. My Dreadnought killed all but one Kabalite, who failed the leadership test and retreated out into the open, giving my Lazerback a kill shot.

IPB Image

The Typhoons turned toward another Warrior squad and overwhelmed them with missiles.

IPB Image

Night Fighting began, but the end was in sight. Rob left his Warlord to control the Objective, and ran his last Warrior squad toward the table edge.

The Lazerback moved up and disembarked the Crusader Squad on top of the center Objective.

IPB Image

The Typhoons caught Rob's last Warrior squad out in the open, and toasted every last one.

IPB Image

Rob prayed to roll the game to an end and stop the carnage, but it went to turn 6.

Turn 6: Dark Eldar

The Razorwing had one last chance to take a toll, charging toward the Predator, but it couldn't make a dent.

I moved every gun I could on the Archon, Rob's Warlord and last piece on the ground. I destroyed him, but had nothing to take out the Razorwing, the only thing that saved Rob getting tabled.

IPB Image

And with that, the streak finally came to an end. While the Razorwing got away unscathed, I completely wiped the table clean of Dark Eldar.

I did everything I needed to do. I loaded my list with the long range weaponry I needed and focused it against Rob's vehicles. Once his mobility was neutralised, it was just a matter of cleaning up.

Rob's long range fire suffered from some of his usual bad luck, but the loss of the CC Challenge was something neither of us saw coming, and it was too much. Rob could survive the loss of either his Raiders or the Close Combat. Not both.

I also managed to not be too distracted by the Archon's raiding party. I deployed Marines to defend the objective, and after the Vehicles disabled his ride, they moved on, leaving the defenders to sink or swim on their own. I made small, reactive moves that kept the focus on destroying Rob's transports.

Rob felt that his aggressiveness might have been a mistake, but he started with a clear plan that he just didn't have time to carry out.

Like most of our games, a couple rolls the other way could have drastically changed the outcome, but for the first time, I feel confident that I did everything right. I had a strong list, coupled with effective tactics.

--------------------
+Quote Post
spaceninjajetpilot
post Mar 2 2013, 06:49 AM
Post #35

Oh, yeah, I guess I forgot the official tally. First Blood for Rob, and I controlled 2 Objectives, and scored Warlord and Linebreaker. 8 - 1.

--------------------
+Quote Post
spaceninjajetpilot
post Mar 3 2013, 07:25 PM
Post #36

Battle Report - 14

SNJP's Red Templars vs. Joe's Dark Angels - 1000 Points

Today was a great day! We got in some really great games. We started with Joe's Dark Angels taking on Rob's Dark Eldar, and Rob was tabled for his trouble. Joe moved fast and hit hard, and with only 1000 points, the lightly armored Eldar couldn't stand up to Joe's heavy attacks.

Our match was a different story.

Mission: The Emperor's Will.
Deployment: Hammer and Anvil.

I had a list specially designed to square off against Joe's speed.

I called this list the wall of lead. 3 giant Las/Plas Crusader squads capable of a torrent of Boltgun fire. A Dreadnought and 3 Typhoons.

IPB Image

Joe's list was no slouch, though. Sammael, and a Darkshroud protecting 2 squads of 5 bikes, bristling with Bolters and Plasmaguns. On top of that, 2 Typhoons and 2 Dreadnoughts for support.

IPB Image

But the real story of this fight was how important the first turn can be.

I kept my Warlord, and 2 of the Crusader Squads hunkered down on my Objective, sending the 3rd, and my Typhoons forward. They had a straight shot on Joe's Typhoons and 6 Krak missiles was enough to Explode them both. A major blow to Joe's strength that he never recovered from.

IPB Image

Turn 1: Dark Angels

Joe sent everyone forward, Sammael on his own up the middle,

IPB Image

and the Darkshroud and bikes Turbo Boosted up the side toward my objective.

IPB Image

Joe's woes continued. His bikes and their Speeder escort were now totally in the open and took fire from everything I had on the field. A Crusader's Lascannon Exploded the Darkshroud, which claimed 2 Bikes.

The Typhoons and the other Crusaders wiped out the other Bike Squad.

IPB Image

Turn 2: Dark Angels

Joe's Dreadnoughts had been sneaking up the other side of the field, and a Multi-Melta wrecked a Typhoon.

IPB Image

Sammael charged into my forward most Troops, killing 1 right off with Hammer of Wrath.

IPB Image

His 3 remaining Bikes charged the Crusaders at the Templar Objective, killing another with Hammer of Wrath.

IPB Image

The Typhoons turned their guns on the nearby Dreadnought, Exploding it.

IPB Image

The Emperor's Champion Challenged Sammael and wounded him. Sammael tried to Hit & Run, but was unable to break free.

IPB Image

Turn 3: Dark Angels

Sammael wounds the Champion, and Joe's Dreadnought destroys a Typhoon's weapons.

The Typhoons destroy the last Dread,

IPB Image

but Sammael defeats the Champion.

IPB Image

Turn 4: Dark Angels

With the rest of the bikes killed by withering fire from 2 Crusader squads, he was all that remained. His hit and run attempt was successful, and he backed away.

With almost every weapon on the field now aimed at Sammael, the Wall of Lead list earned its name. A complete victory.

IPB Image

This game went badly for the Angels from the get go. 1000 points only affords you only so many options, and to lose your heavy hitters so quickly turns a downhill slope into a catastrophic avalanche.

--------------------
+Quote Post
spaceninjajetpilot
post Mar 3 2013, 09:03 PM
Post #37

Battle Report - 15

Pat's Orks vs. SNJP's Red Templars - 1000 Points

Pat's first game of the Day was against Rob's Dark Eldar. The fought over The Relic, and despite his best efforts, it was Rob's speed that allowed him to snatch it up and get a head start.

I was surprised at how effective my simple list was against Joe's Dark Angels, but I thought all the ranged attacks would do well against a horde of Orks, so I followed my usual plan of placing my Las/Plas squads in position to do the most damage.

IPB Image

Pat spread out in a long line along his deployment zone,

IPB Image

with his fastest units stacked up ready to pounce.

IPB Image

Mission: The Scouring
Deployment: Vanguard Strike

For the second time, the random placement of the mystery objectives was the deciding factor. The easiest ones for my to occupy uncontested were also the lowest valued.

IPB Image

I started off strong, moving flat out for the nearest uncontrolled Objective,

IPB Image

With a squadron of Typhoons and Crusader Lascannons, I Wrecked a Killa Kan and glanced the other two.

Turn 1: Orks

A Stormboy crashed, but the rest, and Pat's buggies made a line for my Typhoon Squad, Wrecking one.

IPB Image

The Warlord's Shokk Gun killed a Plasmagun and a Crusader.

My Typhoons struck back at the buggies, Exploding 2.

IPB Image

Turn 2: Orks

My Crusaders were dropping steadily to the Ork Boy's long range weapons, but the Stormboys landed at almost point blank range and Wrecked my last 2 Typhoons. It put a crippling dent in my firepower.

IPB Image

Instead of claiming the nearby Objective, the Crusaders moved instead to get good firing position on a mob of Boys. They took out 7.

IPB Image

My Dreadnought destroyed the last Buggy, and Crusader return fire killed 4 Stormboys, and drove the rest behind cover, onto a valuable objective, which they controlled the rest of the game.

IPB Image

Turn 3: Orks

From the Ork deployment zone, Pat's Lootas killed 3 Crusaders, but the nearby Killa Kan failed to make the Charge range.

IPB Image

Across the field, the other mob killed a Crusader, but their Charge failed after withering Overwatch fire.

IPB Image

The torrent of fire finishes off the Boys near the unclaimed Objective, and the rear Squad's Lascannon Wrecks the second Kan.

IPB Image

Turn 4: Orks

The Lootas take their shots, but can't dent the Dreadnought. The Killa Kan makes the Charge, but can't hit any of the Crusaders.

IPB Image

The Champion's Crusader Squad claims the objective they've been staring at all game. It fails to Explode, but at only 2 points, won't be enough if the other Squad loses the central objective they were hanging on to by a thread.

The Dreadnought killed 2 Lootas and a Gretchin, and the Killa Kan still failed to wound any of the Crusaders.

Turn 5: Orks

The Kan finally scores a kill, and unable to run, the mob of Boys Charges in and finishes off the Crusaders to claim the objective.

IPB Image

The Dreadnought hits the Big Mek with a Lascannon for the Warlord point.

Turn 6: Orks

The Lootas Glance the Dread, leaving him to be cleaned up by the rampaging, One Armed Killa Kan.

IPB Image

The final score was 12 to 5. Pat controlled 3 Objectives for 10, First Blood and Linebreaker. I controlled 2 Objectives for 4 and scored the Warlord Point.

I've seen this situation before. With so many objectives, its easy to sit on the ones you've got and hope for the best, but as soon as my Typhoons were gone, I knew I had to move my Troops out of their comfort zone to try for the bigger points.

I didn't, and left a single Crusader Squad to hold a central objective against Buggies, Stormboys, Killa Kans, an Ork Mob and long range fire from Lootas and a Shokk Gun. That's just bad leadership.

--------------------
+Quote Post
BJJDude
post Mar 4 2013, 06:57 AM
Post #38

Member No.: 13,915

Great write ups Mike.

I've got some thoughts on how I'll sort my Ravenwing list for more numerous (Orks, Tyranids) or tougher (marine) opponents.

+Quote Post
spaceninjajetpilot
post Sep 14 2013, 10:08 PM
Post #39

Battle Report - 16

Rob's Chaos Daemons vs. SNJP's Elysian Drop Troops - 1500 Points

Rob's first outing with his Chaos Daemons against my winless Elysians.

Rob's list wasn't messing around. Kairos Fateweaver and 2 Daemon Princes. I used the same list I have the past few games, some of which have been very close.

Mission: The Emperor's Will.
Deployment: Hammer and Anvil.

Rob started both Princes, Kairos, and his Blue Screamers on the table.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Turn 1 - Elysians

I deployed 2 Veteran Squads and my Command Squad in the best cover I could find. I moved the Sentinels out, and twin linked by the Ground Scanner, they were able to wound a Daemon Prince.

IPB Image

Turn 1 - Chaos Daemons

The Daemons came surging forward. Kairos and the Princes took to the air, and the Screamers moved flat out. Kairos and the Pink Prince cast Bolt of Change, wrecking a Sentinel. The Blue Prince cast Flicker Flame of Zeentch. A Warp mishap knocked him out of the sky for a wound, but the power wiped out the rest of the Sentinels for First Blood.

IPB Image

Turn 2 - Elysians

Help arrives! The Elysian air support showed up in full, bringing the desperately needed punch. A Vendetta brought down the Pink Daemon Prince, and the Vultures eliminated the Blue Screamers.

IPB Image

Turn 2 - Chaos Daemons

Rob's Reserves all arrived on turn 2, evening the odds. His Plague Bearers walked on to take the objective, but his Bloodletters, Nurglings and Seekers deep striked right behind the Elysians.

They were all unable to act, but the Blue Prince wiped out an entire Veteran squad with Flames of Zeentch, and Kairos' Flame Breath killed 8 Vets and wounded my Warlord.

IPB Image

Turn 3 - Elysians

Rob had placed his troops well. To turn my guns on him, I moved all my flyers to Hover. The Vendettas killed the Blue Prince, and the Vultures wiped out the Seekers. The Command Squad's twin-linked Meltas knocked Kairos out of the sky.

IPB Image

Turn 3 - Chaos Daemons

The Daemons were ready to do what they do best. The Nurglings killed the last two Veterans.

IPB Image

Bloodletters wiped out the Command squad for the Warlord point. Kairos took advantage of the Hover mode, and charged the Vultures, but with no effect.

IPB Image

Turn 4 - Elysians

By turn 4, it was still anyone's game. One Vendetta dropped its Veterans near the objective, but I misplaced them, leaving them out of firing range. Their transport moved to get LOS on the Bloodletters, but only killed one.

IPB Image

The Vultures had better odds, though, pivoted, and shredded Kairos Fateweaver for the Warlord point.

IPB Image

The second Vendetta raced for the far side of the field, where the Plague Bearers were hiding.

IPB Image

Turn 4 - Chaos Daemons

Rob's forces had dwindled under withering fire. He moved his Plague Bearers further into cover, and his Bloodletters and Nurglings closed on the Elysian objective.

Turn 5 - Elysians

The Nurglings proved no match for the Vultures' guns, and the Veterans and their Vendetta killed all but one Bloodletter.

The second Vendetta dropped its Veteran squad, who were able to kill a single Plaguer.

Turn 5 - Chaos Daemons

Rob was left with desperate gambles, and both paid off. His last remaining Bloodletter charged the Veterans holding the objective. It killed a few Veterans and won the combat, but couldn't drive them off. It did, however, contest the objective.

IPB Image

The Plague Bearers charged off their objective, into the other Veteran squad. Neither gained an advantage.

IPB Image

The game rolled to an end with neither objective claimed. Despite having overwhelming force left in the fight, First Blood gave Rob a 3 - 2 victory.

Again, my first win was plucked from my grasp. I'm always one turn, or a single die roll short. I've reached double digit losses. If anyone has any ideas for a competitive Elysian list, I'm all ears.

On the flip side, Rob is off to a great start with his Chaos Daemons!

--------------------
+Quote Post
spaceninjajetpilot
post Sep 22 2013, 11:11 AM
Post #40

Battle Report - 17

Matt's Chaos Space Marines vs. SNJP's Elysian Drop Troops - 1500 Points

The forces of Khorne fall upon the ruined city. All that stand in their way are the beleaguered veterans of Elysia!

IPB Image

Matt and I decided to break in the new City Fight board with another 1500 point clash. Matt's forces were very troop heavy. A Land Raider full of Khan and his Berzerkers, 2 big Marine squads, and cultists, along with the Obliterators and the Heldrake.

I ran the usual list, determined that it will one day find its footing.

Mission: Purge the Alien
Deployment: Dawn of War

Turn 1 - Chaos Space Marines

Under cover of Night, Matt spread his forces out in a long line and advanced into the ruins.

IPB Image

I kept my forces in the best cover I could find. Night Fighting was a huge advantage, and Matt couldn't do any damage.

Turn 1 - Elysian Drop Troops

Watching the Chaos Marines advance, my Veterans killed 2.

IPB Image

Turn 2 - Chaos Space Marines

The Obliterators unleashed a fury of Plasma Cannon salvos, killing 4 Veterans.

The Heldrake arrived, and with the Land Raider and a Marine squad, reduced one of my Veteran squads to it's last man.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Turn 2 - Elysian Drop Troops

The Vultures and a Vendetta arrived to even the odds. The Vultures went after Matt's troops, wiping out a Marine Squad for First Blood.

The Vendetta went after the Heldrake. With the Sentinels nearby, they Vector Locked it, destroyed the Baleflamer and reduced it to a single Hull Point.

IPB Image

Turn 3 - Chaos Space Marines

Desperate to escape, the Heldrake turned on the Vendetta, Vector Striking. It destroyed a Lascannon and 2 Hull Points.

IPB Image

The Marines occupying the bombed out Manufactorum wipe out the last man in the Veteran Squad.

IPB Image

Turn 3 - Elysian Drop Troops

The Second Vendetta arrived, swooping in behind the Heldrake and destroying it.

The first made a run for enemy lines, glancing off a Hull Point of the Land Raider as it passed.

The Vultures moved onto the next Marine squad, killing 3.

IPB Image

Turn 4 - Chaos Space Marines

With the Land Raider now deep into Elysian territory, the Berzerkers disembarked. They killed the Command Squad's Vox operator, but failed to get into Close Combat range.

IPB Image

Turn 4 - Elysian Drop Troops

The Command squad took advantage of the Berzerker's failed charge, and retreated to safety.

IPB Image

After bringing down the Heldrake, the Vendetta took aim at the Obliterators, but failed to kill any.

The Vultures cornered the last marine squad in the Manufactorum, and wiped it out.

IPB Image

At point blank Multimelta range, the Sentinels destroy the Land Raider.

IPB Image

Turn 5 - Chaos Space Marines

The Obliterators turn their Assault Cannons back on the Veteran squad, and finished them off.

The Berzerkers failed a second charge, sealing their fate.

Turn 5 - Elysian Drop Troops

The first Vendetta dropped its Veteran squad behind enemy lines.

The Vultures surrounded the Berzerkers and eliminated them.

IPB Image

The game rolled to an end, and the stalwart Elysian defenders stopped the onslaught and saved the city! The streak ends!

I scored First Blood, Warlord, Linebreaker, and killed 5 units. Matt killed 2 units. Final score 8 - 2.

Matt played aggressively. He moved his units forward each turn, and put fire on his targets. Night Fighting and good cover alone got me through the first turn unscathed.

The Heldrake's arrival on turn 2 was just what he needed, and it started doing exactly what it does. My flyers arrived just in time. Without its Baleflamer, and with only a hull point left, the Heldrake was a flying decoration.

Matt failed some key rolls, most notably, 2 consecutive Charges with the Berzerkers. He also had no answer to my flyers. Something tells me that will figure heavily in most of my victories.

--------------------
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th September 2019 - 06:15 PM