Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> COK 2018, From Kings of War Fanatics page
marius
post Dec 21 2017, 10:49 AM
Post #1

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 169

So here is the COK 2018 stuff, to me looks to be good. Not sure why they didn't just get rid of blood boil. Really like what they have done with things. Surprised that Salamanders didn't get a little more love but will see.

Rule & Unit Changes

Special Rules:

Individual:
In melee, enemies treble their attacks when attacking War Engines with the Individual special rule.

Thunderous Charge (n):
All melee hits inflicted by the unit have a +(n) modifier when rolling to damage. This bonus is in addition to the unit’s Crushing Strength (if any), however the unit loses this bonus when Disordered and reduces this bonus by 1 when Hindered.

Headstrong: Whenever the unit begins a turn Wavering, it rolls a die. On a 3+ it shrugs off the effects of Wavering and is Disordered instead.

Breath Attack, Fireball, Bloodboil and Lightning Bolt
When targeting enemy units in cover or with the Stealthy special rule, these attacks hit on a 5+ instead of 4+.

Fly
While Disordered, units lose the Fly special rule including the Nimble that it grants. If the unit has Nimble for a different reason (e.g. Individual) then they will remain Nimble while Disordered.

Bane-Chant (Spell)
This will only grant or improve Piercing if two or more hits are scored from the same casting.

Allies

If you include allies, you cannot select the same allied unit entry of each of the following types, War Engine, Hero (all types) or Monster more than once.
You may only include a total of one Irregular allied unit.
Allied units cannot take Magical Artefacts.

Abyssal Dwarfs, Forces of the Abyss & Twilight Kin

Gargoyles* - Nerve reduced to 8/10

Ba’su’su the Vile [1] - Nerve reduced to 14/16.

Abyssal Dwarfs

Slave Orcs* - Now have a Me value of 5+ and the Vicious special rule.

Brotherhood

Valiant - All units with the Inspiring special rule in this army also have the Valiant special rule.

Dwarfs

Bulwarkers - This unit now has the Big Shield special rule.

Steel Behemoth – This unit now has Breath Attack (15), Strider and Piercing (1) special rules.

Empire of Dust

Ahmunite Pharaoh – This unit has a Defence of 5+, not 6+.

Revenant Chariots - Speed increased to 8 and Nerve values increased to the following:
• Regiment: -/15
• Horde: -/18

Ahmunite Pharaoh on Royal Chariot - Speed increased to 8, and has the Nimble special rule.

Forces of Nature

Naiad Heartpiercers – Attacks increased to the following:
• Troop: 10
• Regiment: 12

Sylph Talonriders* - Attacks increased to the following:
• Regiment: 8
• Horde: 16

Forces of the Abyss

Molochs – This unit has the Regeneration (5+) special rule.

Tortured Souls – This unit has Crushing Strength (1), not (2). And gains Thunderous Charge (1).

Elves

War Chariots - Speed increased to 9 and Nerve values increased to the following:
• Regiment: 13/15
• Horde: 16/18

Noble War Chariot - Speed increased to 9, This unit now has the Nimble special rule.
Goblins

Mawbeast Pack* - This unit has a Melee attack value of 4+, not 3+.

War-Trombone - This unit has 10 Attacks, not 12.

Fleabag Chariots - Nerve values increased to the following:
• Regiment: 11/13
• Horde: 14/16

King on Chariot - This unit now has the Nimble special rule, but its Defence is lowered to 4+.

Kingdoms of Men
Charioteers - Speed increased to 9 and Nerve values increased to the following:
• Regiment: 12/14
• Horde: 15/17

Night-Stalkers

Fiends - Nerve values reduced to the following:
• Regiment: 12/15
• Horde: 15/18

Mindscreech – Nerve reduced to 14/17.

Terror - This unit now has the Stealthy special rule.

Ogres

Chariots - Speed increased to 8 and Nerve values increased to the following:

Warlord, Captain & Army Standard Chariot Upgrades: Mount on chariot for +15 pts, gaining Thunderous Charge (1) and Speed 8, changing to Hero (Large Cav) on a 50x100mm base.

Boomer Sergeant – This unit now has Breath Attack (8).

The Herd

Giant Eagles* – Nerve values increased to the following:

Stampede* - This units Nerve is now 18/20.

Harpies* - This unit is now Irregular.

Tribal Chariots - Nerve values increased to the following:

Great Chieftain on Chariot - This unit now has the Nimble special rule.
Orcs
The following units have the Fury special rule:
• Fightwagons
• Morax
• Krudger
• Krudger on Slasher
• Krudger on Gore Chariot
• Gakamak [1]

Gore Chariots - Speed increased to 8 and Nerve values increased to the following:

Fight Wagons - Nerve values increased to the following:

Krudger on Gore Chariot - Speed increased to 8, This unit now has the Nimble special rule.

Godspeaker - Replace Special Rule with: For every friendly non-allied Horde within 6” (Excluding Orclings), increase the amount of dice rolled for all spells by 1.

Ratkin

Hackpaws - Nerve values increased to the following:
• Troop: 10/12

Death Engine – Defence is reduced to 4+ if the Vile Sorcery upgrade is chosen.

Salamanders

The following units have the Vicious special rule:
• Clan Lord
• Clan Lord on Fire Drake
• Fire Drake
• Kaisenor Lancers
• Tyrants

Ghekkotah Skyraiders* - Attacks increased to the following:
• Regiment: 9
• Horde: 18

Battle-Captain - Now has the following optional upgrade: Mount on Kaisenor Raptor Mount (increase Speed to 8, gain Thunderous Charge (1), change to Hero (Cav)) (+20 pts)
Trident Realms
The following units have the Ensnare special rule:
• Riverguard
• Riverguard Captain
• Nokken

Depth Horror Eternal - This unit is now Fearless.

Depth Horrors - This unit is now Fearless.

Naiad Heartpiercers – Attacks increased to the following:
• Troop: 10
• Regiment: 12

Thuul - This unit has a Speed of 6, not 5.

Thuul Mythican- This unit has a Speed of 6, not 5 and it now has the Inspiring (Thuul only) special rule.

Kraken - This unit is now on a 50x100mm base. Nerve increased to 17/19 and increase Attacks to 15.

Siren [1] - This unit now has the Inspiring special rule.

Trident King [1] - This unit now has the Nimble special rule.

Twilight Kin

Darkscythe Chariots - Speed increased to 8 and Nerve values increased to the following:

Undead

Pharaoh – This unit has a Defence of 5+, not 6+.

Vampire – This unit has a Defence of 5+, not 6+

Varangur

Gift of Korgaan – Guise of the Deceiver now only grants the Fury special rule.

Fallen – This unit no longer has the Pathfinder special rule.

Herja of the Fallen [1] - Herja of the Fallen has been replaced with the new Magnilde of the Fallen unit, and is no longer available to be used in game play.

League of Rhordia

Honour Guard - Nerve values reduced to the following:

Halfling Iron Beast – This unit now has Breath Attack (12) and Strider special rules.

Forces of Basilea

Sisterhood Panther Chariots - Nerve values changed to the following:
• Regiment: 14/16
• Horde: 17/19

Abbess on Panther Chariot - This unit now has the Nimble special rule.

Artefacts & Spells

Removed/Amended Artefacts
The following artefacts in the main rule book have been amended, the new rules are below.
• Ensorcelled Armour
• Brew of Keen-eyeness
• Medallion of Life

Magical Artefacts

Healing Brew - 5 pts
Once per game, when given an order, this unit may remove D2 points of damage previously suffered.

Staying Stone - 5 pts
The unit has +1 to its waver Nerve value.

Chalice of Wrath - 15 pts
The unit gains the Fury Special Rule.

Dragonshard Shield - 20 pts
Once per game, when this unit carries out a Halt! or Pivot! Order, it may choose to increase its Defence by +2 to a maximum of 6+ until the start of its next turn.

Hammer of Measured Force - 20 pts
This unit will always damage the enemy on a 4+ in melee, regardless of modifiers.

Banner of the Griffin - 25 pts
This unit gains the Rallying (1) Special rule, or Increases the value of its Rallying by 1, to a maximum of 2.

Black Iron Crown - 25 pts
This artefact can only be used by units who already possess or can be upgraded to have a spell. The unit increases all of its spell (n) values by 1. For example, Heal (2) becomes Heal (3).

Lute of Insatiable Darkness - 25 pts
This artefact can only be used by Heroes. The Hero has the Bane-Chant (2) spell.

Shroud of the Saint - 25 pts
Users with the Heal spell only. This item increases the unit’s Heal (n) value by 3. For example: Heal (3) becomes Heal (6).

Aegis of the Elohi - 25pts
The unit gains the Iron Resolve special rule, or if it already has Iron Resolve, it increases the amount of damage it heals each time Iron Resolve is triggered to a total of 2.

Circlet of Blood - 30 pts
This artefact can only be used by Heroes who already possess or can be upgraded to have a spell.

The Hero now has the Bloodboil spell.

12” range. When rolling to hit, roll a number of dice equal to the amount of damage on the target unit. Roll to damage with Piercing (1).

Medallion of Life - 35 pts
This artefact can only be used by a Hero with the Individual rule. The unit has the Regeneration(5+) special rule.

Ensorcelled Armour Cost: 20 pts
This artefact can only be used by Hero(Inf).
The Hero’s Defence is improved by 1, to a
maximum of 5+.

Brew of Keen-eyeness Cost - 30 pts
The unit has +1 to hit with ‘normal’ ranged
Attacks. May not be used by Hordes or Legions.

Spells

These spells may be taken by any non-Living Legend unit that either has a spell or has the ability to take spells (not including Artefacts). They have a fixed number of dice but otherwise follow the usual rules for spells. They can be taken multiple times in the same army and are not subject to Magic Artefact restrictions. (maximum of 1 per army, can’t be given to Monsters etc.). There are spell upgrades for each of the three alignments and only units of that alignment may choose to take them. Some units may have these spells in their profiles, including spells of alignments that they could not normally choose to take.

Any Alignment:

Mind Fog (1) - 10 pts
30" range, Hits don't inflict damage. Instead, if one of more successes are caused, the target must take a Nerve Test at the end of the Shoot Phase.

Weakness (2) - 20 pts
18” range and may target enemy units that are in melee. If one or more hits are scored, the target unit has a -1 modifier when rolling to damage enemy units during the next turn. A natural six will still damage. This effect only applies once – multiple castings on the same target have no effect.

Drain Life (6) - 25 pts
6” range and may target enemy units that are in melee. Roll to damage as normal with Piercing (1). If one or more points of damage are scored, choose either the caster or a single friendly non-allied unit within 6”. Remove one point of damage from the chosen unit for each point of damage dealt to the target. If this is cast into melee, the target will not take a Nerve test at the end of the Shoot phase.

Alchemist's Curse (6) - 20 pts
12” range, Instead of rolling to damage as normal, each roll under the target’s Defense, including rolls of a 1 causes a point of damage. This roll cannot be re-rolled or modified in any way.

Good Armies Only:

Martyr's Prayer (7) - 25 pts
12” range, Friendly units only, including units engaged in combat. Hits don’t inflict damage. Instead, for each hit scored remove one point of damage which has been previously taken by the target and transfer it to the caster. The caster will not take a nerve test for damage taken in this way.

Neutral Armies Only:

Aura of Heroism (3) - 15 pts
12” range, Friendly units only. Hits don’t inflict damage. Instead, for each hit scored, the target gains the Rallying (n) special rule, where (n) is each successful hit, until the start of your next turn. Rallying has a maximum total of +2.

Evil Armies Only:

Veil of Shadows (2) - 15 pts
12” range, Friendly units only, If a hit is scored, the unit gains the Stealthy special rule until the start of the player's next turn.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mattc
post Dec 21 2017, 12:04 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 15,630

There's a fair bit more to come in the book also
+Quote Post
Stallandor
post Dec 22 2017, 09:35 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 306

Was going to do a review of this. But to post a couple of highlights:

The nerf bat, is not, IMO, that bad to some units. Its hard to argue with the Fallen changes etc. I like the Tortured souls being 1&1, and wish they would make that change to essentially anything CS3 moving to 2&1. The Fury & Headstrong gone seems a tad strong, but it is only 10 points.

Cav got a little better with the hindered changes to TC - its not a huge deal, but it will help, which is good.

Stealthy now works on spells!!! Hurray, thank god, always should have.
Love the change to individual war machines. Also thank God. or some deity...
Headstrong, definitely much better.

Chariots are better. I think thats a shoulder shrug - they still have a huge surface area. Hopefully they are just enough better to bring them back to the table.

The most controversial? HERJA gone. I'm not a fan of this. Swing the nerf bat sure, don't take things away. This is going to stress some people out. Basusu even with her reduced nerve is still head and shoulders more awesome than the rest of these options. But, I didn't take herja anyway, so doesn't bother me really.

ITEMS
Healing brew D2. Boo... prob the right decision.
Lute 25 points... probably the right decision
Staying stone, chalace of wrath, both big ticks from me. I like them.
Black crown - this is gonna do some heads in. Fireball 10 to 11 not big deal. Bane chant 2 to 3, big deal. Most mages get inspiring on them, but this could definitely compete with that item, and take the place of the 10 point double cast once fireheart, depending on the mage. Any spell thats 6 dice or less IMO likes this alot.
Changes to amulet and armour - prob should have done this the first time.
Iron resolve item - there is a huge difference between IR 1 & 2 IMO. But this item would definitely put anything on IR1 on notice - and might see Varangur units taking this combo for example. some of those IR brotherhood/League of Rhordia dudes - ouch... I like it!

SPELLS
This is where the action is IMO.
Mind fog - could be very useful little 10 points left option.
DID SOUL DRAIN get a NEW NAME and 5 POINTS CHEAPER??? Woo!!!
THE CURSE!!! I Love this spell. beware you F@#$ing Abyssal Dwarf Golems and Soul Reaver cav - I've got your answer RIGHT HERE! Any caster that generates extra dice, or wearing the crown, get on board. Ogre/Orc mages just went bonkers.

Race specific spells - I think they are all ok - not worth getting as excited about as I had hoped. To be honest, I think other spells are better and we wont see them much, I think they are good, but just a tad overcosted.

Anyway - thats my knee jerk reaction. What say you?

--------------------
Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile away, and have their shoes.

Check out the Australian Kings of War Rankings - http://oz-kow-rankings.appspot.com/region=2&game=5
+Quote Post
mattc
post Dec 22 2017, 10:21 AM
Post #4

I agree with most of what you say... although I think some of the alignment specific spells might get some use in specific combos. I know some that had a difficult time against Martyr's prayer in playtesting.

Important to not that Herja has been replaced... it's just yet to be revealed what Magnilde's stats are

+Quote Post
Keef Von Keith
post Dec 23 2017, 10:19 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 295

Bummer I thought they were going to fix chariot hordes and give them horde nerve, 15/17 and the large footprint still makes them useless.

--------------------
"A sense of generosity under heavy fire is an admirable quality and the mark of a gentleman."
+Quote Post
mattc
post Dec 23 2017, 05:52 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(Keef Von Keith @ Dec 23 2017, 11:19 AM) *

Bummer I thought they were going to fix chariot hordes and give them horde nerve, 15/17 and the large footprint still makes them useless.

Agreed. They basically feel the real fix is to big a change for between editions. I like the change on chariot characters though
+Quote Post
null_sheen
post Dec 28 2017, 07:53 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 2,771

I must have missed something I thought Lycan and Werewolves were stronger than Fallen and Tortured Souls
+Quote Post
Tirrith
post Feb 13 2018, 08:58 AM
Post #8

Smashed!

Member No.: 77

I have been trying to get a hold of this book, no-one seem to have them in stock. Any suggestions?

This post has been edited by Tirrith: Feb 13 2018, 08:58 AM

--------------------
"It's literally impossible to lose a game of Theory Machine with eKruger"

Chickenslayer
+Quote Post
Zanzar
post Feb 13 2018, 04:40 PM
Post #9

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,532

Same here. Has anyone managed to find the book available in Australia?
+Quote Post
mattc
post Feb 13 2018, 06:53 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(Zanzar @ Feb 13 2018, 05:40 PM) *

Picked it up at Cancon. Best bet would be mighty ape or direct from the distributor at this stage it seems
+Quote Post
Stallandor
post Feb 14 2018, 09:04 AM
Post #11

Can you take both formations for a faction in the one army?

--------------------
Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile away, and have their shoes.

Check out the Australian Kings of War Rankings - http://oz-kow-rankings.appspot.com/region=2&game=5
+Quote Post
ken-in-yorks
post Feb 14 2018, 10:02 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 11,532

QUOTE(Zanzar @ Feb 13 2018, 04:40 PM) *

Think everywhere had sold out, definitely disappeared within a few hours at Cancon. Luckily i was ordering some stuff direct from Mantic, so added it to that order, free shipping and 8 days, arrived on release day, woo hoo armata_PDT_11.gif

QUOTE(Stallandor @ Feb 14 2018, 09:04 AM) *

Can you take both formations for a faction in the one army?

You can take all the army formations they have, you just can't duplicate a formation, and Allies cant take their formations

QUOTE(mattc @ Feb 13 2018, 06:53 PM) *

Picked it up at Cancon. Best bet would be mighty ape or direct from the distributor at this stage it seems

I believe Mighty Ape have run out, but are reordering

--------------------
"Strategy is the art of making use of time and space. I am less concerned about the latter than the former. Space we can recover, lost time, never"
+Quote Post
marius
post Feb 14 2018, 10:14 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 169

On Facebook they said they think about 2 weeks
+Quote Post
Stallandor
post Feb 14 2018, 05:12 PM
Post #14

I think I'm gonna have to plan a list with both, just to check.

Are all the edge of the Abyss Characters and units legal for 2018? That question got lost with all the CoK talk...
I'm assuming they are

--------------------

+Quote Post
N.I.C.K
post Feb 14 2018, 06:15 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 5,981

QUOTE(Stallandor @ Feb 14 2018, 06:12 PM) *

Are all the edge of the Abyss Characters and units legal for 2018? That question got lost with all the CoK talk...
I'm assuming they are

I think only Herja has been given the "illegal" treatment, besides that everything is fair game as far as I can see!

--------------------
QUOTE(Ehsteve @ Apr 9 2015, 01:56 PM) *

I have seen that word (fued, fu'ed, and all variants therein) many times in the past few months...what does it mean?

Adjective; Fued: The art of being inherently awesome, having excessive amounts of swag and generally giving zero farks.

Active member of the Infernal Muppets Gaming Club | Tweet @lecopoutking
+Quote Post
ken-in-yorks
post Feb 15 2018, 08:02 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 11,532

QUOTE(Stallandor @ Feb 14 2018, 05:12 PM) *

I'm assuming they are

Characters and units from Edge of the Abyss are good to go, formations from there are not, as superseded in CoK18

--------------------
"Strategy is the art of making use of time and space. I am less concerned about the latter than the former. Space we can recover, lost time, never"
+Quote Post
Staks
post Feb 15 2018, 09:30 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 885

House of War in melbourne have copies. Not sure if they post, but perhaps call and ask. They were $31 from memory

--------------------
Want to play Confrontation in Melbourne? Shoot me a PM for the details of our club night.
QUOTE(jarveg @ Oct 30 2010, 08:00 AM) *

Exactly Staks - no-one rates you, but that STILL makes you Australia's #1 Over-rated player. Thats how craptastic your Warhammer skills really are!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st February 2018 - 07:13 PM