> Star Wars Rebellion, First game
Caliginous
post Apr 16 2017, 01:59 PM
Post #1

Blistering Barnacle
Group Icon

Group: Support Veteran
Member No.: 5,646

So a friend and I sat down yesterday with this beast of a game in front of us. Neither of us had read the rules, so we set it up, and started at page 1 of the How to Play book. We went through it step by step and completed the game in around 5 hours, which I think was pretty good. It didn't feel like this long though - we were both completely immersed in the game and were having a great time. We made some mistakes and learnt a lot in the process. We worked out basic strategies for the Empire and Rebels after the game and the importance of certain missions, leaders and strategies.

It literally came down to the last role of the dice - he was Imperials and he had to just destroy one last ground unit on my rebel base which he failed to do (he rolled a blank). It ended the turn and at the beginning of the refresh phase was able to achieve two objectives that pushed my counter onto the turn marker, ending the game for a Rebel victory.

It was a lot of fun. I have read many criticisms of the rulebook and how bad it is, but we found it fine. There were a couple of rules we got wrong but we treated the whole game as a learning experience and it moved along at a good pace. If you are thinking of picking the game up, I can heartily recommend it, but give yourself and your opponent a good few hours to learn the rules and get a feel for the game. Subsequent games will go a lot quicker and be a lot more strategic. The game is visually stunning as well - nothing like a big bad strategy board game taking up the whole table with tons of miniatures, cards and counters!

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
laidlaw
post Apr 17 2017, 01:18 PM
Post #2

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 1,114

Great game with really subtle tactics.
Remember that a fleet cannot move out of an area containing an allied character.
Annoying to stop Chewbacca with the Fett, then unable to move the fleet out of the system.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th July 2019 - 01:09 AM