Krefey
post Dec 10 2017, 03:15 PM
Post #21

Authoritarian Forum Dictator
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 98

QUOTE(Honey Starr @ Dec 10 2017, 03:25 PM) *

I don't see why it is such a hard concept to understand that a very small viewing of something, which looks cool, can later turn out to be uncool due to various factors. As I said, what I've seen so far looks cool, but these could be the most generic parts of the project, if the remainder is more strongly themed in Games Workshop aesthetic, I will be far less interested. This is a very simple concept.

I'm making no further comments, you seem too emotionally invested to be able to accept reasonable comments and the other guy seems like he is overly aggressive towards people commenting on your project and seems to think he knows what people should be thinking.

It's not a hard concept to understand. It's just odd from my point of view wink.gif I'm hardly being emotional about it, just curious as to your thought process. Given you've now explained that your interest is lessened more if it goes down a GW aesthetic in particular, that solves that. The part I found odd was the sudden change in interest once I said it was more aimed at being for GW games without any actual explanation as to why until later.

In the end, I appreciate the feedback and have taken it on board. As I mentioned earlier smile.gif

--------------------
The Hobby Transporter is beginning to ship to backers! Keep an eye out for it going live on the Laser Shark Designs website!

www.celestial-lions.net

Laser Shark Designs
Webstore
Offering custom laser cut goods for your gaming needs :)
(I'm just starting out, but would welcome requests / input)
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Demon
post Dec 10 2017, 05:11 PM
Post #22

Lord of The Crossroads
Group Icon

Group: Support Veteran
Member No.: 218

QUOTE(Honey Starr @ Nov 30 2017, 11:04 AM) *

They look cool, obviously a lot better without the print lines.

QUOTE(Honey Starr @ Nov 30 2017, 11:04 AM) *

The design is cool, although I assume you will have some pieces that have some detail on them, like wall access panels, door controls etc. If not, you should consider making them as add-ons for those that wish to pimp up their walls.

QUOTE(Honey Starr @ Dec 9 2017, 08:00 PM) *

Yes, it is less appealing precisely because it is associated with Games Workshop

QUOTE(Honey Starr @ Dec 10 2017, 02:18 PM) *

I don't have any anti Games Workshop sentiment, I simply don't like their aesthetic style, which I stated, but thanks for telling me how I think, again..

Yeah. Id in no way suggest I know what youre thinking

--------------------
MAY YOUR FOREHEAD GROW LIKE THE MIGHTY OAK

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded. - T Pratchett

QUOTE(WitchFinderGeneral @ Jul 2 2017, 05:43 PM) *

Being a little bitch is in my genes apparently.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Krefey
post Dec 12 2017, 12:16 PM
Post #23

Group Icon

A few early designs of 25mm bases to go with the terrain I'm working on:

IPB Image

Based on some feedback, I will probably convert these into base toppers rather than actual bases.

--------------------
The Hobby Transporter is beginning to ship to backers! Keep an eye out for it going live on the Laser Shark Designs website!

www.celestial-lions.net

Laser Shark Designs
Webstore
+Quote Post
MarineLizard
post Dec 13 2017, 09:38 AM
Post #24

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 2,589

I actually really like those - they would go really well with my Eldar project I'm starting in Feb.

If I could get them as actual bases that would be baller.

--------------------
DON'T FEED THE IBIS YOU MORON
+Quote Post
Krefey
post Dec 18 2017, 08:43 PM
Post #25

Group Icon

The first wave of base designs. 10 x 25mm bases. Happy to take on feedback if there is anything that looks off or might need changing.

IPB Image

IPB Image

For the larger sized bases I'm planning on adding other features like some spars that you can attach to the bases.

--------------------

www.celestial-lions.net

Laser Shark Designs
Webstore
+Quote Post
BIG
post Dec 19 2017, 10:30 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 14,152

From a professional tool maker perspective, it doesn't appear like you have draft angle on the bases. Or am I looking at it wrong? Or are you planning on cutting all of them rather than casting?

Spars that can be attached to give the bases some height would be a great addition to bases. What a good idea.

How difficult would it be to mount models onto the stepped bases? With the static legs of a lot of the models in most ranges would it be a pain to model them without looking a little funny?

This post has been edited by BIG: Dec 19 2017, 10:42 AM

--------------------
Check out my Crazy Army plan here
Check out the Fluff for my Crazy Army plan here
2000 Point Armies
[40k] Murdochs 5th Armoured Detachment, 34/87th Tullarium Armour; Taskforce of the Garrsak Clan Company; Grimskragas Razorfangs, Guiding Light of Yarn Le'ath; Hive Fleet Acidica; XII Ab=mbush Cell, Loyalists of the Twin Primarchs;

[Warhammer] The Obsidian Knightly Order; The Wondrous Caravan of the Traveller and his Maneaters; Bronze Host of Ka-Sabar; Dragonriders of Caledor; Vain Quest for the Grail, 11th Crusade of Araby; The Throng of Kark Veng;
+Quote Post
Krefey
post Dec 19 2017, 10:38 AM
Post #27

Group Icon

QUOTE(BIG @ Dec 19 2017, 11:30 AM) *

From a professional tool maker perspective, it doesn't appear like you have draft angle on the bases. Or am I looking at it wrong? Or are you planning on cutting all of them rather than casting?

Spars that can be attached to give the bases some height would be a great addition to bases. What a good idea.

I won't be doing these with a laser or CNC router. I'm investigating options on having someone cast them for me based on a manufacturer recommended by Mr Justin from Secret Weapon Miniatures.

*edit - I'm just trying to make sure the bases have no undercuts to make casting easy to do.

--------------------

www.celestial-lions.net

Laser Shark Designs
Webstore
+Quote Post
BIG
post Dec 19 2017, 11:36 AM
Post #28

What program are you modelling in? Can it run a draft analysis which should highlight any undercuts.

Without pestering you with technical junk, believe me that even 0.5 degrees draft makes a huge difference to demould and casting success. The same as getting rid of sharp corners (like on the outer edges of some of your bases) as no matter what material, resin, plastic, metal it all flows better and reduces the chances of air entrapment if you can get a radius on there.

I am liking the overall aesthetic of your walls and bases. If you could hollow out the walls, maintaining the overall footprint, but removing a lot of the material it will not only weigh less for shipping, but also cost less in materials. Or consider a cheaper material core that will be cast inside the outer material. Whoever does your moulding should be able to offer ways of doing this.

Sorry, you have probably already considered all of this and don't need someone preaching from the background.

This post has been edited by BIG: Dec 19 2017, 11:39 AM

--------------------
2000 Point Armies
[40k] Murdochs 5th Armoured Detachment, 34/87th Tullarium Armour; Taskforce of the Garrsak Clan Company; Grimskragas Razorfangs, Guiding Light of Yarn Le'ath; Hive Fleet Acidica; XII Ab=mbush Cell, Loyalists of the Twin Primarchs;

[Warhammer] The Obsidian Knightly Order; The Wondrous Caravan of the Traveller and his Maneaters; Bronze Host of Ka-Sabar; Dragonriders of Caledor; Vain Quest for the Grail, 11th Crusade of Araby; The Throng of Kark Veng;
+Quote Post
Krefey
post Dec 19 2017, 01:56 PM
Post #29

Group Icon

QUOTE(BIG @ Dec 19 2017, 12:36 PM) *

What program are you modelling in? Can it run a draft analysis which should highlight any undercuts.

Without pestering you with technical junk, believe me that even 0.5 degrees draft makes a huge difference to demould and casting success. The same as getting rid of sharp corners (like on the outer edges of some of your bases) as no matter what material, resin, plastic, metal it all flows better and reduces the chances of air entrapment if you can get a radius on there.

I am liking the overall aesthetic of your walls and bases. If you could hollow out the walls, maintaining the overall footprint, but removing a lot of the material it will not only weigh less for shipping, but also cost less in materials. Or consider a cheaper material core that will be cast inside the outer material. Whoever does your moulding should be able to offer ways of doing this.

Sorry, you have probably already considered all of this and don't need someone preaching from the background.

Not at all, it certainly helps a lot to know this stuff. A lot of the sharp corners for the bases I had done deliberately for the visual look (as in to make the base feel like it was part of a flooring that the model was on, rather than just a small extrusion), but it if makes demolding easier by curving the edges, I can certainly adjust those sharper edges easily enough.

For the design work, I've been using Blender. I just make sure that I scale it appropriately so that when ti comes to importing it to a 3D printer etc. it is trivial to just set the height value so the x and y axis scale the same if needed.

--------------------

www.celestial-lions.net

Laser Shark Designs
Webstore
+Quote Post
BIG
post Dec 19 2017, 03:25 PM
Post #30

It's more that sharp edges promote air locks and weak points in the casting process. It is possible but is frowned upon unless absolutely necessary. Sharp corners can also have an effect in the life of a mould.

I have never touched blender. Always used "proper" CAD packages. Can blender export file types that are useful to CAM work?

--------------------
2000 Point Armies

+Quote Post
Krefey
post Dec 19 2017, 08:49 PM
Post #31

Group Icon

QUOTE(BIG @ Dec 19 2017, 04:25 PM) *

It's more that sharp edges promote air locks and weak points in the casting process. It is possible but is frowned upon unless absolutely necessary. Sharp corners can also have an effect in the life of a mould.

I have never touched blender. Always used "proper" CAD packages. Can blender export file types that are useful to CAM work?

Not sure to be honest. It can export STL files, which are fine for 3D printing. But it's predominantly a 3D design software than a CAD program like Autodesk. I use Illustrator for my laser stuff for the more precise measurements. I can check what other file types it can export for you if you'd like.

--------------------

www.celestial-lions.net

Laser Shark Designs
Webstore
+Quote Post
BIG
post Dec 20 2017, 02:01 PM
Post #32

No, just a little professional curiosity.

Good luck with it all, I think the corridor is looking nice with a fairly generic appearance. Very Babylon-5 to me actually. Would look great with infinity and the idea of having open and closed doors represented is genius.

--------------------
2000 Point Armies

+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2018 - 03:05 PM