Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> In Her Majesty's Name, anyone playing?
mbyrr
post Feb 10 2017, 03:19 PM
Post #1

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 8,176

Hey there

Curious as to whether anyone is currently playing IHMN or who has played it before?
Specifically, what's the system like and what do you like/dislike about it?

For comparison, I've played Songs of Blades and Heroes (and advanced), Frostgrave (didn't like it), and 40k.

I like the look of IHMN from what I've seen, it seems to get good reviews, and it's a theme I haven't played much of too.

Any info appreciated, thanks!

--------------------
Warhammer 40k: Wolves, Nids, Sistas.
Necromunda: Orlock, Goliath
Other Miniatures: Realm, X-Wing, Song of Blades and Heroes
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
b20f08
post Feb 10 2017, 03:42 PM
Post #2

Ten Guitars
Group Icon

Group: Support Veteran
Member No.: 6,935

Is good. Like your Hackmaster 5e, hard to find keen players. Did a few posts from a few years back. On the QGG subforum page if interested. Just checked: not much there.

Easy game to pick up and scope for a lot of extra companies of your own fancy. Lot of others like it but I do like this particular one. Sorry, couldn't be much more help.

This post has been edited by b20f08: Feb 10 2017, 03:46 PM

--------------------
"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing!" for Spike Milligan & Dave Chapelle & Charles Bukowski
"Life without regrets is no life at all" Yip Man
"If you lack technique you lose the freedom to create" Paco de Lucia
+Quote Post
mbyrr
post Feb 10 2017, 03:59 PM
Post #3

Thanks. I reckon I'm gonna give it a shot. The mechanics remind me of SoBH, but it has more theme (SoBH is a bit light on theme, just the usual standard fantasy fare).

I'm not sure from your second last sentence whether you liked it or not, if not what didn't you like about it?

QUOTE(b20f08 @ Feb 10 2017, 04:42 PM) *

"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing!" for Spike Milligan & Dave Chapelle & Charles Bukowski

Btw, Bukowski ftw! armata_PDT_34.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
b20f08
post Feb 10 2017, 04:12 PM
Post #4

Ten Guitars
Group Icon

Group: Support Veteran
Member No.: 6,935

QUOTE(mbyrr @ Feb 10 2017, 03:59 PM) *

Thanks. I reckon I'm gonna give it a shot. The mechanics remind me of SoBH, but it has more theme (SoBH is a bit light on theme, just the usual standard fantasy fare).

I'm not sure from your second last sentence whether you liked it or not, if not what didn't you like about it?
Btw, Bukowski ftw! armata_PDT_34.gif

Sorry. It's just my wording. I meant that there are other similar games like IHMN but I particularly like this one because it allows for development of narratives. They provide the basics, and you're free to take in any direction you want.

At the time I was playing it, I was very keen to run a US Rocket squad based on Biggles/Rocketeer combo.

Yeah, Bukowski is awesome; a friend turned me on to his works. armata_PDT_34.gif

--------------------
"Life without regrets is no life at all" Yip Man
"If you lack technique you lose the freedom to create" Paco de Lucia
+Quote Post
D_Arquebus
post Feb 10 2017, 11:07 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 10,027

Haven't played it but love the theme. Collecting a VSF pulp style collection from various manufacturers for a while now.

Interesting article on a blog i follow. Guy has certain preferences re rules which he normally outlines succintly when they impact his review. Worth a read to get a feel for the game smile.gif

http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com.au/...osprey.html?m=0

This post has been edited by D_Arquebus: Feb 10 2017, 11:08 PM

--------------------
Ausbowl - The FB home of Oz Blood Bowl
NZ BB Community THe FB home of NZ Blood Bowl
thenaf.net - Home of the NAF (Worldwide Blood Bowl Community)
+Quote Post
mbyrr
post Feb 11 2017, 01:04 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(D_Arquebus @ Feb 11 2017, 12:07 AM) *

Haven't played it but love the theme. Collecting a VSF pulp style collection from various manufacturers for a while now.

Interesting article on a blog i follow. Guy has certain preferences re rules which he normally outlines succintly when they impact his review. Worth a read to get a feel for the game smile.gif

http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com.au/...osprey.html?m=0

VSF?

Thanks bro, will check that link out...
Oh yeah I've read that review on a different site. Apparently it's based on a read of the rules and not on a playtest. It was also pointed out in the comments that some of his dislikes were not accurate and mitigated by other rules. I can try to dig up that other site if you're interested,

This post has been edited by mbyrr: Feb 11 2017, 01:08 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
thabear00
post Feb 11 2017, 04:35 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 4,323

We played a fair bit of this when it was first released , it lost traction after about a dozen plays but while we were all new to it was pretty good fun . It allowed us all to go crazy with our figure collections and terrain. The factions were varied and allowed allot of free range, some of the more obscure figures that normally wouldn't get a use were suddenly in demand . The game mechanics were ok but nothing to write home about , TBH I don't remember anything special about them . I think it was more the setting that piqued our interest. I remember being able to really go to town tweaking your chosen Company with some cool abilities.
The book is well produced and an easy read too .
+Quote Post
Freelancer
post Feb 12 2017, 02:15 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 2,251

We enthusiasically played a few games until realising the game mechanics made heroes nigh invunerable. If ever two heroes met and fought, the game would lock down into an internal battle. The rules seemed raced into production with little playtesting. For example, there is half a page of rules for vehicles ranging from bicycles to steam tanks, but an entire page devoted to steam powered walker suits and their detailed damage table. So a bicycle rider could have his vehicle explode if hit by a musket ball, while a gatling gun might damage a valve on the left toe of a walker suit!
The genre was the most engaging thing about the game, but as with many games published by Osprey, the rules seem to be an afterthought.
+Quote Post
Captain Darling
post Feb 15 2017, 07:30 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 14,168

Thanks for all your replies to 'mbyrr' question on IHMN I've always had an interest in this title but have never taken the plunge. After reading your thoughts and the linked review I'll now definitely pass and stick with FUBAR VSF using my own modifications.

THANKS!

--------------------
"There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!"

Quote from Blackadder Series IV Episode 4

http://captaindarlingsminiaturesemporium.blogspot.com.au
+Quote Post
mbyrr
post Feb 15 2017, 09:09 AM
Post #10

QUOTE(Captain Darling @ Feb 15 2017, 08:30 AM) *

Thanks for all your replies to 'mbyrr' question on IHMN I've always had an interest in this title but have never taken the plunge. After reading your thoughts and the linked review I'll now definitely pass and stick with FUBAR VSF using my own modifications.

THANKS!

What is FUBAR VSF?

FYI, I'm still checking out IHMN, I'm interested to see how it's different to SoBH which is another "lite" ruleset.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Captain Darling
post Feb 15 2017, 01:03 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 14,168

Hey mbyrr,

FUBAR VSF (Victorian Science Fiction) is one of a selection of free FUBAR rules sets. The aim is to get a set of rules on 2 pages without the font being so small you need s microscope to read it...they count as lite rules I'd say...

FUBAR

They are a great base ruleset (IMO anyway) and you can expand on them however you want also being free if you don't like them you're not out of pocket.

If you go to my blog you'll find several topics on FUBAR VSF rules and some of the changes I've made (link in signature).

Enjoy!

This post has been edited by Captain Darling: Feb 15 2017, 01:06 PM

--------------------
"There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!"

Quote from Blackadder Series IV Episode 4

http://captaindarlingsminiaturesemporium.blogspot.com.au
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th September 2019 - 08:19 AM