Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> XVIII, Vulkan and "the gate keeper", Assumed knowledge, spoilers etc.
HAMi the HAMMER
post Dec 13 2015, 06:43 PM
Post #1

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 15,884

So in the Massacre book it is mentioned that during the proto legion phase 3 companies( I am sure I've read the were called companies on terra during this stage) were held in isolation from the rest. The space wolves and the alpha legion and the salamanders( can't recall their actual designation during this time) now the first two it's pretty obvious why they have been isolated but why the 18th?

There could be many possible reasons.

- daddy knew he made a perpetual son and wanted to know if the legionaires with Vulcans seed would also have this trait. It would be dangerous to have a legion of these guys so maybe the were quarantined.

- isolation to hone their independence, were they are the only legion assets, thus relying heavy on joint operations with human elements or relying on themselves alone. Did this stage instil their fondness with humanity.

- we know Vulcan was ,neat to be the gate keeper. Whatever that is. We know he is a perpetual. We know he would sacrifice himself to save the ones he loved, that can not be said about a single other pPrimarch. What if the gate keeper means that after all said and done Vulcan is set to protect humanity for eternity. We already know that each of the 7 realms has a protector in current 40k, is this just the natural watered down version. Vulcan and his legion were created to live amongst humanity?

- Vulcan was actually meant for the throne. Yes as far as I know has no psychic abilities, so death would be instant, but he's perpetual, and every time he dies rebirth is quicker. The throne sits in front of a massive gate.

- something to do with the void dragon and that gate.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Da Smas
post Dec 13 2015, 07:10 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 4,998

Magnus was supposed to be on the throne I thought.

--------------------
Tip 5: Move your dead of the table quickly, if your someone who carefully packs each model, Infantry Guard is not for you. You must care as much for your model as an Commissar does for men's lives. By Dieing they have failed you and should be removed form your sight as quickly as possible.

QUOTE(Dice Array @ Dec 8 2013, 05:07 PM) *

you would ten mice should table lengthwise?

+Quote Post
HAMi the HAMMER
post Dec 13 2015, 07:26 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(Da Smas @ Dec 13 2015, 07:10 PM) *

Magnus was supposed to be on the throne I thought.

Yes. However we only have that coming from a source that is known to twist truths.
+Quote Post
Spakka
post Dec 13 2015, 11:11 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 4,363

So in the Massacre book it is mentioned that during the proto legion phase 3 companies( I am sure I've read the were called companies on terra during this stage) were held in isolation from the rest. The space wolves and the alpha legion and the salamanders( can't recall their actual designation during this time) now the first two it's pretty obvious why they have been isolated but why the 18th?

I'm pretty sure that it at least partly has something to do with their technological aptitude. It's well above that of any of the other marine legions, including the Iron Hands.

Even the lowest ranking Salamaders were said to be able to craft entirely new and functional equipment in the field, allowing them to continue operating even when cut off from regualr supply chains. They could also jury rig just about anything, including technology that was effectively alien to them such as the machines they fought during their assault on the tempest gallery - they were able to use the parts of damaged machines to make their own equipment, and even partially reprogram some of the machines themselves.

And being able to continue operating even when isolated from all supply lines was not something most imperial forces were capable of, even during the Great Crusade era when the imperium and its technology was at its height.

Their expertise extends to civilian equipment as well, even in 40k era they are well known for being able to rebuild damaged civilian equipment if it is required for the survival of an Imperial settlement, and the local civilian population has been unable to make the repairs themselves.

I can see the Salamanders role being something like an emergency services group - sent in to not only protect isolated Imperial settlements from hostile forces but also restore life support systems and other crucial equipment needed to keep the settlement functioning, at least until other imperial forces can arrive to take over the cleanup duties.

- we know Vulcan was ,neat to be the gate keeper. Whatever that is.

Have you read vengeful spirit?

The warp portal that horus walks through is another potential gate. Considering what happened to both the Emperor and Horus when they went through, its significant enough that it could warrant a primarch eventually being stationed to protect it.

This post has been edited by Spakka: Dec 13 2015, 11:14 PM

--------------------
Crew Member of Team Pirate Gosford

Clan Nova Cat. Making your victories pyrrhic since 2807.
+Quote Post
HAMi the HAMMER
post Dec 14 2015, 08:00 AM
Post #5

The VS novel I generally overlook. But that gate, you are right. The Emperor already had a perpetual assigned to that though didn't he?
+Quote Post
Rommel
post Dec 14 2015, 09:09 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 10,617

There was a perpetual assigned to that gate but she failed in sealing it before Horus arrived. Imagine if she was there with a partner say a perpetual primarch
+Quote Post
HAMi the HAMMER
post Dec 14 2015, 03:21 PM
Post #7

Yeah true. I failed to take much in from that book. One of the worst in my opinion. I just don't buy that Vulcan was meant to be locked away in solitude. It'd be a wast of his unique relationship with humans. Greenpeace has been mentioned before. There is also the Cadian gate. Anyways it's also highly unlikely that the emperor even intended certain roles for his sons and daughter. But then why the unique nature of them all.
+Quote Post
Rommel
post Dec 14 2015, 03:47 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 10,617

I agree in that I doubt the emperor even intended to have certain roles for them at all. I see it as they are all different facets of who the Emperor is, they are the sum of his parts so to speak.

Magnus with his psychic mastery
Angron with the rage
Vulkan his compassion and care for humanity
etc etc
+Quote Post
BearPowers
post Dec 14 2015, 04:14 PM
Post #9

Leftist Frother
Group Icon

Group: Support Veteran
Member No.: 13,540

I always read it that Vulkan would be the man who lead the hearts and minds campaign for humanity. He would be the face that united all of the disparate communities on the edge of the galaxy. Which is where his perpetual status would come into play. He can land somewhere and work alone for centuries and not be concerned with dying.
+Quote Post
bob sprocket
post Jan 2 2016, 09:26 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 300

I take insult that Sangunius wouldn't sacrifice himself for others...

--------------------
"In the grim darkness of the 41st millenium... there is always more painting to do."

Nurgle Daemons W: 27 / L: 12 / D: 6
Death Guard W: 0 / L: 1 / D: 1 {Starting again for new codex}
Tzeentch Daemons W: 2 / L: 0 / D: 0 {These seem really fun in 6th ed.}
Blood Angels: The Golden Host W: 3 / L: 1 / D: 1
Cygnar - Trollbloods - Guild - Outcasts
+Quote Post
Yaleling
post Jan 28 2016, 10:03 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 3,852

My theory (despite being a Salamanders player) is the XVIIIth didn't matter. Just like The Thousand Sons, the Emperor was only interested in their primarch.

Working from that perhaps they were held back simply because resources and material went to the legions that did matter. It explains why they were thrown into a near suicide mission, why they were allowed to give themselves more near suicide missions, and why Vulkan wasn't reunited with them for years.

Maybe.

This post has been edited by Yaleling: Jan 28 2016, 10:04 PM

--------------------
My Tyranid album.
IG modelling diary.
Salamanders painting diary.

Desperately WTB - 3 eldar vehicle canopies.
+Quote Post
HAMi the HAMMER
post Jan 30 2016, 12:00 AM
Post #12

QUOTE(Yaleling @ Jan 28 2016, 10:03 PM) *

My theory (despite being a Salamanders player) is the XVIIIth didn't matter. Just like The Thousand Sons, the Emperor was only interested in their primarch.

Working from that perhaps they were held back simply because resources and material went to the legions that did matter. It explains why they were thrown into a near suicide mission, why they were allowed to give themselves more near suicide missions, and why Vulkan wasn't reunited with them for years.

Maybe.

You know, that's actually pretty good.
+Quote Post
Arch_Magos_Kasen
post Jan 30 2016, 12:12 AM
Post #13

Tomato
Group Icon

Group: WargamerAU Sponsor
Member No.: 6,619

Considering the legions were mostly (all?) Around before the primarch project though, doesn't make much sense. Sure, each primarch moulded his legion to enhance their natural traits and match his own, but they existed back during the unification wars.

--------------------
Puns about communism aren't funny unless everyone gets them.

Soon there'll be no freedoms left for threatening, then we'll have won the war, take that terrorism! ~ Juice Media
+Quote Post
HAMi the HAMMER
post Jan 30 2016, 09:19 AM
Post #14

Hmm, amd they were an entirely different legion to what they became. Loved destroyer weaponary, through them selves at impossible odds. Then Vulkan be like "y'all mother ######ers need space Jesus"

I remember in oen book. Destroyers were brought up and a chapter master and Vulkan met eye to eye and there was inimosity or hidden ###### going on. It bugs me when people say they don't use destroyer weapons, this is merely an in game balance effect. Sure they don't use them in great effect but they sure do have a full contingent of them.camd if you read how pyroclasts fight they are pretty much destroyers but with flames.
+Quote Post
Jenkins
post Feb 1 2016, 12:33 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 7,388

Only the Proto Marines were before the primarchs, they were used during the unification wars, they conquered terra under his banner while he worked on the Primarch project in the Himalayas, the legions actually came after the gestation capsules were whisked away by chaos so they all would have some form of trait of there fathers before the great crusade commenced.

I think the Master of mankind had plans for all his sons considering he created them by his own hands but unfortunately it went to the fan when they were taken from him. The 3 legions " kept " aside are quite unique in when looking at there Primarchs.

Cheers

Jenkins

+Quote Post
HAMi the HAMMER
post Feb 1 2016, 04:21 PM
Post #16

Yes and no

The primarchs where created first, but then heresy, Erebus time warp happened and they were whisked away. the emperor abandoned the project. Murdered all the thunder warriorscand creates the proto legions who were appoc chapter strength to cleanse Lunar, Mars etc most legion know their currents names but it we. Cognomen
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd September 2019 - 07:29 AM