Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

22 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Doing the Blog thing, Mountains style, Post CanCon aftermath and new year plans
gelf
post Oct 12 2015, 12:11 PM
Post #21

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 3,768

Nice read Ken. you guys are really starting to sell me on this game.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Stallandor
post Oct 12 2015, 12:33 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 306

QUOTE(gelf @ Oct 12 2015, 01:11 PM) *

Nice read Ken. you guys are really starting to sell me on this game.

Thanks mate - its everything warhammer should have been - I'm really happy with the rule set and its great to see the enthusiasm! get your old armies out and have a game, and you'll be surprised how much you enjoy it!

--------------------
Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile away, and have their shoes.

Check out the Australian Kings of War Rankings - http://oz-kow-rankings.appspot.com/region=2&game=5
+Quote Post
gelf
post Oct 12 2015, 12:54 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 3,768

Thanks mate - its everything warhammer should have been - I'm really happy with the rule set and its great to see the enthusiasm! get your old armies out and have a game, and you'll be surprised how much you enjoy it!

Problem isn't in owning models for me. it is in getting people to try different things. sad.gif might sign up for cancon yet will come down to a few personal things tho.

keep up the Batreps bud, they are always enthusiastic and fun to read.
+Quote Post
Stallandor
post Oct 21 2015, 01:05 PM
Post #24

Ok Dudes and dudettes.
It may have been my Wedding Anniversary yesterday, and My sons birthday party this weekend, along with basketball tomorrow and other work issues coming, but I'm still playing a game tonight against Stan, because Kings of War is awesome.
I'm also taking it to the next level - and playing an unpainted model - a slippery slope to more painting.

The List is:
Horde - Archers, Heart Seeking Chant
2x Troop Palace Guard
Horde Tallspears, Brew of Courage
Troop Hunters Wild
Regiment Forest Shamblers
Horde Drakon Riders, Brew of Strength
Mage, Bane Chant & Inspiring Talisman
Dragon Lord, Ensorcelled armour
TreeHerder, Blade Slashing

Now - I'm not thinking this is a great list - because I don't think I can have both the Dragon and the Treeherder in the same list. So this is effectively a test run. I want to see which Hero character really suits my play style, as the little Drakon flying Lord had suited me perfectly well before this. But I'll experiment and see which one I like.
If the Dragon wins, then I'll probably drop the Hunters/Shamblers/Treeman and open up a wad of points for Cav, more shooting, maybe a bolt thrower or something. If the Treeherder wins, I'll go the other way.

I've also traditionally taken the Ensorcelled Armour on my Lord level character, as it deters those little shooty and magic attacks and they go elsewhere. But the Vicious reroll 1's to wound option continues to gnaw at me...

So I'm really seeing tonight as a big test for afew units and little "synergy groups" as how I normally deploy to see what feels best.

Im expecting stan to take as many Vampire Dragons he can possibly stick alongside Morty the faceless. If he sees this maybe he will put his lists up as well. Otherwise I'll let you know tomorrow.

--------------------
Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile away, and have their shoes.

Check out the Australian Kings of War Rankings - http://oz-kow-rankings.appspot.com/region=2&game=5
+Quote Post
Tirrith
post Oct 21 2015, 01:29 PM
Post #25

Smashed!

Member No.: 77

Love it, Treeman and Dragon!!!

Make sure you smash Stan! smile.gif

--------------------
"It's literally impossible to lose a game of Theory Machine with eKruger"

Chickenslayer
+Quote Post
Sparticus
post Oct 21 2015, 03:16 PM
Post #26

No, he really is..
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

2 x revenants hordes
Werewolves horde
Soul reaver cav regiment
Vampire on Pegasus
2 x Vampire on Dragons

150 points remain for magic items 😄

Created this list yesterday with traishy, we are interested too see if some of our undead tactics are viable.

Cheers

--------------------
WargamerAU HQ
+Quote Post
Sparticus
post Oct 22 2015, 11:45 AM
Post #27

No, he really is..
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

The mighty Undead became bone dust to the elves!

well played Ken, I will need to work out a more rounded list wink.gif

--------------------
WargamerAU HQ
+Quote Post
Stallandor
post Oct 22 2015, 04:27 PM
Post #28

Hi Everyone
So the game was played. Terrain was relatively symmetrical, but in hindsight I had a home town advantage for sure - hills at each side, forest in between on centre line, swamp middle further along, building at an end, small bits as well towards the huts - so some open areas and some with terrain to make a difference.

Stan got turn 1 (scenario invade) and moved the pathfinding werewolves right in the big forest, and advanced the 2 revenant infantry units. The scary cav were out wide ont he other side all by themselves, and they moved just out of charge range.
But I was most concerned about the 3 flying vamps. the peg went alittle up between revanants and the scary soul reaving cav, then Stan moved the armoured Dragon vamp right in front of the werewolves into the forest, and the regen vamp basically right in front of my army.

I didn't know what Stan was playing at - and looked at my turn 1 for some time. I had a little forest squad of Treeman, Hunters wild and shamblers all facing off the sould reaving cav, and moved up to give him a charge choice of the shamblers/hunters. I decided to shoot the peg vamp, I got my palace guard troop into the vamp in the forest, and by 1/4" I could get the other palace guard into the regen vamp, along with the fully loaded Drakon riders. My Drakons however gave the peg vamp cover from my archer shooting, only 4 damage. The dragon breath weapon did 4 damage to the werewolves.
The palace guard being legends did 6 wounds to the regen vamp, +12 from the drakon riders = goodbye one regen dragon vamp. The other palace guard did 4 damage to the 6+armour vamp as well! (if everything in my army did as well as those troops...) But I made a big mistake here - facing Stans army, I went D6(2") forward with my palace guard, and D3 back (3") on the drakon riders.

This move allowed Stan to flank my drakon riders with his remaining Dragon, with peg vamp in the front. Doh. Revenant infantry flanked palace guard (50 attacks!) doh. Werewolves charged the other palace guard unit. Soul reaver cav charge hunters wild. Stan routed all 4 units and reformed them all to face stuff. Right...

My Dragon flew past his, into his peg vamp. The shamblers moved to the flank of the soul reaver cav, the treeman looked at them, and surged them into the flank. my tallspears charged the werewolves in the forest. My archers lined up the 6+ dragon vamp, and did 4 wounds. Then tallspears, thanks to the earlier damage and a good damage roll, routed the werewolves. The shamblers did... like 3 wounds max to the soul reaver cav. they Lol'ed. My dragon killed his peg vamp, and I advanced d6 (2") then wanted to reform, too late, I had already rolled, he trundled into the swamp.

Stan's soul reaver cav ignored my treedudes, and went front to my dragon (hindered) and the revenants went flank on dragon (also hindered, thankyou swamp). Other revenants charged tallspears in forest. The cav with hindered charges and no thunderous plus the infantry did all up about 8 wounds max, my Dragon lord survived. His remaining Dragon Stan thought for 5min on him, and ended up moving him to do the surge infantry into my flank which is how he got those 2 units on him.

I then went dragon front counter charge with treeman rear charge. Shamblers ready to rear next time. Tallspears back at the revenants they faced. My archers, with bane chant, lined up and now rolled well, doing 10 wounds to the 6+ vamp - with his previous damage, that was the last vampire removed. I wavered the soul reaver cav.

Stan then went into my dragons flank with his revenants, and hit the tallspears again with the other unit. He rolled box cars and wavered the tall spears, but in a spectacular fail, his 50 attacks ended up doing 0 wounds to the dragon.

Next turn, I flank treeman and shambler rear smashed the soul reavers, I shot and breathed on the revenants near the dragon, ready to rear charge the other ones, and Stan decided we call it there.

Overall - I need to make better decisions after I win combats - I seem to make a lot of mistakes in this area.
But the list - I actually thought it does really well. Why can't I take the 2 hitters? would cav be better than the shamblers? I might play this army again. But the Dragon, as a multi-phase option with both combat and shooting, was definitely good - as much as vicious would be awesome, I can't see myself going without the 6+ protection.

Stan will make some changes, he was experimenting as well. He knows that his placement of the 2 dragons in particular needs to be better. But I also think he needs some more guys on the table - but that might just be from playing Elves and against Herd where there are guys flung all over the shop. I'm sure he and Traishy will concoct something scary to face me next time.

Anyway, I'm still doing well in this game! Whats going on!
I'll probably come crashing back down to earth soon but I'm enjoying this whilst it lasts.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stallandor
post Nov 1 2015, 02:37 PM
Post #29

Hi Everyone
Last night, whilst the average people of the world were trick or treating or doing something similarly entertaining in costume etc, I was able to get 2 solid games in of Kings of War.
My opponent was Mr Jeff Traish, Traishy, the scariest nicest person in the game. He was rocking:
5 Hordes of Zombie Trolls
3 Regiments of Skellie Cav
5 Pharohs, 1 flying, all rock hard by nature...

I played the exact list from above. We played 45min chess clock not including deployment, and finished with about 4min each. PLayed Kill & Pillage.
Its late and awhile ago, so I can't give you an accurate report. The game was based around the units of trolls who ripped apart anything they hit, but also died when they were shot or touched. Both Traishy and I rolled above the curve, resulting in a pretty brutal game. The Drakon riders again killed a unit and then died (sigh...) the archers murdered things, and Traishy's Pharohs being natural DEF6 and 5ATT were massive hinderences for me. All in all a massive see-saw game resulted in an Elf Victory by 220 points! Huzzah!

We then immediately redressed and went again - Playing Loot. Traishy dropped a unit of cav and added another Horde of Trolls (6 Hordes, seriously!) whilst I tried something different, dropping the Dragon, and adding the Green Lady, plus upgrading the hunters to her guard, and the shamblers to Horde as well.

This game was also bloodthirsty, but Saw Traishy get on top, and win in the end - A final combat occurred where my Drakon riders holding 2 counters copped a charge by his cav holding a counter and routed, and my shamblers were unable to drop a PHaroh to get to them to get them back, they died and its all over. The Green Lady healed the Drakons (one turn taking 7 off them!) but outside of that did nothing else - it was good to play and know... but there is no way she was worth 200 points.

So 2 more games down, and more anti-surge experience, and still the single characters cause me the most grief. That said, I've only lost 2 games now - and none with the Dragon Army I really like.
In that army, the Forest shamblers are just not worth it IMO. My options seem to revolve around:
Drop the shamblers and items (130 points) get a unit of Gladstalkers or some such
Drop the shamblers and the hunters wild or,
Drop the shamblers, Hunters wild AND the Treehurder.

The last would see me add it a Drakon rider Lord with the Dragon Diadem, a unit of chariots, and 2 bolt throwers, as one setup example. That would add a fair bit more shooting and ability to put some hurt on individuals - with the additions being multiphase in the flying Lord and the chariots.
I'm worried about losing the Treeherder - but he goes down alot lately and gets caught out on his own, is he worth it with nothing to surge? Do I keep him and just remove the other 2 for chariots and gladestalkers for example? I wanted to see if the bolt throwers could get some harm on being piercing2 - will I miss the vanguard though? all things to try I guess.
Otherwise - I'm continuing to play well and win games, Hopefully by the time CanCon comes around the army will really be singing!
Might get another game in against Stan this week mid-week, try for next Fri/Sat night as well - I have started to assemble some models again for the first time in a LONG time... it all happening up the mountains!

--------------------

+Quote Post
rampagingpenguins
post Nov 1 2015, 09:13 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 889

Have you tried Nimble on the Teeeherder yet? I have also been disappointed by them, and haven't had a chance to see if nimble makes the difference.

--------------------
The Dwellers Below - A WFB Podcast. Don't fail your strength test... http://thedwellersbelow.com/
+Quote Post
Tirrith
post Nov 1 2015, 09:29 PM
Post #31

Smashed!

I want to give the Treeherder and Treekin a go, next battle.

--------------------

Chickenslayer
+Quote Post
Dru
post Nov 1 2015, 11:37 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 31

I told you, Ken, Treeherder wasn't worth it when we first got the rules. But noooooooo, you said he was awesome.
Well, now you know. To much points for what he offers.
sucks tho cause I have a sweet model I want to use but so many better things to get.
+Quote Post
Stallandor
post Nov 2 2015, 11:07 AM
Post #33

Its not the Treeherder itself that sucks IMO - its that "his troops" in the shamblers are below standard, and the hunters wild, whilst having the 20 attacks, also arn't up to speed.
I really feel I need the treeherder just to take the charge and stand on an objective at times. But maybe I just kill stuff with shooting instead... need to practice and see.

Havent played the Treeherder with anything but the blade of slashing, which for 5points seems excellent value for a CS3 model.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mikecro
post Nov 2 2015, 11:43 AM
Post #34

Member No.: 2,103

Treeherder seems like an excellent roadblock

Disapointing to hear shamblers are underperformers, as I have 12 I want to get on the table!

--------------------
QUOTE(Stallandor @ Feb 1 2017, 11:19 AM) *
Victoria has its MikeCro. All hail Mikecro, MikeCon, and the the state of Mikecronesia

Vagabonds Club
+Quote Post
Guns
post Nov 2 2015, 12:27 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 161

Good read Ken although boasting about your win loss record when over half your games have involved smashing Stan is hardly inspiring stuff. armata_PDT_01.gif

Guns armata_PDT_36.gif

* bunkers down until Uncle Stan gets round to reading this *

--------------------
+Quote Post
Stallandor
post Nov 2 2015, 12:30 PM
Post #36

QUOTE(mikecro @ Nov 2 2015, 12:43 PM) *

Treeherder seems like an excellent roadblock

Disappointing to hear shamblers are underperformers, as I have 12 I want to get on the table!

I think if you went the whole hog, and had 2 hordes and 2 Treeman to surge them they could work well.
But I'm just not convinced to be honest. With it being the only shambling thing in th earmy, they don't seem as effective as they would be in the forces of nature.
That said, I could be getting spoiled by rerolling all my 1's to hit. Man I love the elite rule!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tirrith
post Nov 2 2015, 01:00 PM
Post #37

Smashed!

You guys don't know how to play Elves, Lord Tirrith will make it work.

--------------------

Chickenslayer
+Quote Post
Guns
post Nov 2 2015, 01:04 PM
Post #38

QUOTE(Tirrith @ Nov 2 2015, 03:00 AM) *

You guys don't know how to play Elves, Lord Tirrith will make it work.

We are playing this weekend...I will do a battle report of the game. smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Tirrith
post Nov 2 2015, 01:20 PM
Post #39

Smashed!

QUOTE(Guns @ Nov 2 2015, 02:04 PM) *

We are playing this weekend...I will do a battle report of the game. smile.gif

I suppose that depends on the result.
The game where I tabled you for minimal losses somehow fell through the gaps....

--------------------

Chickenslayer
+Quote Post
Guns
post Nov 2 2015, 01:21 PM
Post #40

QUOTE(Tirrith @ Nov 2 2015, 03:20 AM) *

I suppose that depends on the result.
The game where I tabled you for minimal losses somehow fell through the gaps....

Bwahahahaha

I promise to publish the report no matter what...dork.

Guns

--------------------
+Quote Post

22 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2019 - 02:08 AM