6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Night Stalker Army - all done; for now..., Updated 21 January - Scarecrows
HaggisMacbeth
post Jun 16 2016, 05:13 PM
Post #41

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 12,893

Hey guys, I've finished another couple of unit entries from the Night Stalker list. I took a week off hobby and then jumped back into it this week before the painting enthusiasm ebbs away; I want to keep it flowing for a while yet to get more units over the line.

I'm really pleased with how this couple of unit entries have turned out. I wanted an ethereal look to them but I think the fleshy parts serves nicely to separate them from some of the other ethereal units in the army and still keep in touch with the general colours of the army, which is evolving organically as I paint units, but which I would say I have settled on grey, bone and black.

They were also fun units to paint. As they had basically the same scheme I painted them at the same time working through the same colours.

So I'm calling the unit my Phantoms (one regiment / two troops) and the character is the unique choice for Night Stalkers, The Dream Hunter.

IPB Image

Phantoms: Phantasms that appear as cloaked, floating bodies. Their partially hooded heads reveal glimpses of the screaming and bloody skulls of people trapped between worlds.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

The Dream Hunter: The Dream Hunter rips the dreams and souls from those in Mantica's reality to feed itself and the Night-stalkers around it. It has long been a bedtime story to scare little children of all cultures, going by many names, and it's the children that still fear it the most later in life that grant the Hunter a way in. Fairy-tales are a key to the mind. A visitation from the Hunter is to dream of paralysis and the feeling of helplessness while your very essence is teased from the pores of your defenceless body. Those unfortunate to survive the experience awake mute, emotionless and dead to the world, outcasts from society.

Man what a creepy unit description! ohmy.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Next up will be a regiment of Nightmares.

This post has been edited by HaggisMacbeth: Aug 2 2017, 07:00 PM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
marius
post Jun 16 2016, 05:20 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 169

Have those exact same models for phantoms. They look sensational, great job.

Malifaux has some great stuff.
+Quote Post
HaggisMacbeth
post Jun 16 2016, 06:35 PM
Post #43

Thanks very much Marius. Yeah the Malifaux range is pretty cool, especially great for lots of potential character models for KoW armies. My only preference would be that the company sell more of the minis as singles, rather than having to buy a 'gang' box, or whatever it is called, to be able to get some of the minis. But I think I'll be returning for at least one more unit entry for the Night Stalkers.
+Quote Post
Morgrim
post Jun 16 2016, 08:33 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 2,692

Lovely!!! Those malifaux models are brilliant. Your army is so nice. Keep up the good work.

--------------------
Cheers

Morgrim
+Quote Post
Red Dragon
post Jun 17 2016, 10:00 AM
Post #45

Member No.: 429

Excellent painting. A very nice colour scheme. Basing is excellent too.

--------------------
QUOTE(Zordana @ Oct 25 2011, 11:40 PM) *

Omg you nerd.

[quote name='GT' post='2031419' date='Jun 15 2012, 09:24 PM']
Red still looks awesome.

[color=#336666]"He knows a lot about Doctor Who"
+Quote Post
Stallandor
post Jun 17 2016, 10:07 AM
Post #46

Member No.: 306

Just beautiful - a new favourite unit for me for sure. love these.

--------------------
Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile away, and have their shoes.

Check out the Australian Kings of War Rankings - http://oz-kow-rankings.appspot.com/region=2&game=5
+Quote Post
HaggisMacbeth
post Jun 17 2016, 03:51 PM
Post #47

Thanks for the comments guys!

I'm just pulling together an army list for the SGC 2000 points. Any feedback/advice is welcome as any changes will inform my painting over the next month. Thanks! armata_PDT_37.gif

IPB Image
+Quote Post
HaggisMacbeth
post Jun 23 2016, 10:59 PM
Post #48

Just a quick update tonight. A really lovely model that I've always liked but never really had a reason to buy it. The Shade model for my Night Stalkers was never really going to be anything except this model.

Just as an aside, I planned to paint this model up last Sat or Sunday but Total War Warhammer happened. And then it kept happening each night. Even last night before I painted it up I first had to lead Karl Franz over the walls of Couronne to crush the bullying and marauding Bretonnians. Hopefully I'll get the Nightmare regiment finished this weekend, but then there is that Skaeling invasion into neighboring Middenland that needs to be turned aside...

Shade: Phantoms that have fused while trying to consume one another to end their suffering. Shades are indeterminate forms that shift between fleeting glimses of melted faces and a vopour of blood and flickering lights.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

This post has been edited by HaggisMacbeth: Aug 2 2017, 07:56 PM
+Quote Post
oddian
post Jun 23 2016, 11:54 PM
Post #49

Member No.: 16,789

Looking good man, can't wait to see it at the SCG

--------------------
+Quote Post
Red Dragon
post Jun 24 2016, 07:37 AM
Post #50

Very nice. Keep up the good work. armata_PDT_37.gif

--------------------

Omg you nerd.

Red still looks awesome.

+Quote Post
Swordmaster
post Jun 25 2016, 04:29 PM
Post #51

Member No.: 12,525

@HaggisMacbeth and @oddian should grudge each other to make sure their beautiful armies play against each other. And have half of the people at the tournament taking pictures while the other half is watching biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
HaggisMacbeth
post Jun 29 2016, 10:30 PM
Post #52

Thanks for the comments about the Shade guys!

I got stuck into painting again this week and have now finished a regiment of Nightmares. This unit turned out to be a bit of a challenge. The models I used (from the Coven Throne kit) are really deigned to be assembled as intended and not taken apart and posed separately, so there were some challenges with odd pieces of a horse sticking out the side of somewhere they weren't supposed to be, missing bits from models that would normally be there when you join the whole lot together. Posing the miniatures on the base was also a bit of a challenge as the coven throne kit is normally 100mm deep, so getting these models to work on the 50mm deep base was tricky. I had to cut some bits off the models and the cloud off and obviously have also had to pose them so they were not massively overhanging the front of the base. I think it looks a little weird in the photos, they kinda look they're just flying off to the side, but I think it looks better in real life and you still get the sense of them pushing forward as a unit.

I went for these particular models as I really wanted the unit to look like its in mid-flight. With the Night Stalkers not having any official models, I want to make th ejob of my opponent in identifying what each unit is as easy as possible. This is the only flying cavalry unit in the Night Stalker army, so having models that are off the ground was really important in choosing these ones and I really wanted to make them work.

Nightmares: Death incarnate, the Nightmares sit astride their ghastly mounts whose six demonic hooves burn with a cold blue fire. Nightmares and their steeds are borne across the mortal realms on invisible streams of evil, leaked from another plane and can summon icy winds to shill a body but keep the mind alive and fresh for later.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

This post has been edited by HaggisMacbeth: Aug 2 2017, 08:00 PM
+Quote Post
Swordmaster
post Jun 29 2016, 10:46 PM
Post #53

Member No.: 12,525

They are my favorite unit so far! The whole army is incredible and with every addition it looks even more amazing! armata_PDT_37.gif
+Quote Post
Red Dragon
post Jun 30 2016, 12:03 AM
Post #54

Looking good. Dare I ask for a group shot? biggrin.gif

--------------------

Omg you nerd.

Red still looks awesome.

+Quote Post
Dru
post Jun 30 2016, 06:55 AM
Post #55

Member No.: 31

My favourite painting journey ever. This is just magic.
+Quote Post
marius
post Jun 30 2016, 11:29 AM
Post #56

Member No.: 169

beautiful and very creative.
+Quote Post
HaggisMacbeth
post Jun 30 2016, 08:12 PM
Post #57

Blown away by those comments guys, thank you so much! smile.gif

@RedDragon - I'll do a group shot after I paint the next model. Doing the Void Lurker next. Once that's done I'll have the full army I'm taking to SGC (plus the Banshee and Dream Hunter as extra). Will do a photo then and post it up
+Quote Post
covalima
post Jul 8 2016, 02:09 PM
Post #58

Member No.: 6,508

How the hell have I missed this... what a spectacular (Cuban accent) army.. such amazing talent mate. Did I read right and you're in Canberra too? Would love to see this army and play against it... awesome.

--------------------
The greatest and noblest pleasure which men can have in this world is to discover new truths; and the next is to shake off old prejudices.
Frederick the Great

http://warandpaint.blogspot.com/

+Quote Post
HaggisMacbeth
post Jul 13 2016, 12:19 AM
Post #59

Hey @covalima, yep in Canberra. Send me a PM if you want to line up a game at 3D6 or Jolt.

Have just finished off the last miniature I need to complete the 2000 point list for the SGC. I had my eye on this mini a while back when I was planning on doing a VC army for WHFB. I wanted to use it as a Vargulf, as the actual Vargulf mini is pretty pants, and cut out the wings; like they'd been torn out by another vampire. But now I needed a big flying beastie for the Night Stalkers and it was a good excuse to purchase it and paint it up.

Void Lurker: Unspeakable and unimaginable things have lived in the dimensions between worlds for eternity. Some have an intelligence of sorts and understand enough to sense the rents in the fabric of the universe and know how to locate them. They attach themselves to Night Stalkers as they stream into the fascinating and bizarre reality where the mortals reside. There they coalesce into whatever mismatched and petrifying shape will best help sate their voracious appetites.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

This post has been edited by HaggisMacbeth: Aug 2 2017, 08:01 PM
+Quote Post
HaggisMacbeth
post Jul 13 2016, 12:34 AM
Post #60

Ready to rumble

IPB Image

This post has been edited by HaggisMacbeth: Aug 2 2017, 08:02 PM
+Quote Post

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th October 2019 - 11:34 PM