> The League of Legrandia, Quasi army blog of my humanoid army
N.I.C.K
post Aug 25 2016, 03:27 PM
Post #41

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 5,981

QUOTE(marius @ Aug 25 2016, 03:13 PM) *

No dogs of war from the league. They're pricey though

Yes they are good but pricey. M4 as well is a bit meh if you want to actually fight anything! They provide a solid centre though that's for sure.

--------------------
QUOTE(Ehsteve @ Apr 9 2015, 01:56 PM) *

I have seen that word (fued, fu'ed, and all variants therein) many times in the past few months...what does it mean?

Adjective; Fued: The art of being inherently awesome, having excessive amounts of swag and generally giving zero farks.

Active member of the Infernal Muppets Gaming Club | Tweet @lecopoutking
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
N.I.C.K
post Aug 27 2016, 07:39 AM
Post #42

So I'm very excited that today is the League of Legrandia's first outing on the table top! I'm playing two games against Michael (Darthsabre) this morning. I thought I'd try two different lists so I can get a feel for the different units.

Both lists have a horde of Elohi and Ur-Elohi as allies.

List 1:
2 x Spear regiments
2 x City Militia troop
Regiment of Knights with Caterpiller
Horde of Halfling Archers
2 x Volley Guns
Duke on Ancient Winged Aralez with blade of Slashing
Iron Beast
Wizard with bane chant and inspiring
BSB with Scrying Gem

List 2:
Dogs of War Horde with Brew of Strength
Knight Regiment with Caterpiller Potion
Honour Guard Regiment
2 x Regiment of Halfling Archers
Halfling Scout Troop
City Militia Troop
Volley Gun
Duke on Ancient Winged Aralez with Blade of Slashing
BSB with Healing Charm
Mage with Bane Chant, Heal and Inspiring.

Michael is apparently playing KoM so it will be a human off!

--------------------

I have seen that word (fued, fu'ed, and all variants therein) many times in the past few months...what does it mean?

Adjective; Fued: The art of being inherently awesome, having excessive amounts of swag and generally giving zero farks.

+Quote Post
ken-in-yorks
post Aug 27 2016, 10:27 AM
Post #43

Member No.: 11,532

QUOTE(N.I.C.K @ Aug 27 2016, 07:39 AM) *

Honour Guard Regiment

Very interested to hear how these go Nick, I'm planning on allying them into my Brotherhood list, along with baron on Alarez

--------------------
"Strategy is the art of making use of time and space. I am less concerned about the latter than the former. Space we can recover, lost time, never"
+Quote Post
mikecro
post Aug 27 2016, 07:44 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 2,103

I had a game with the following list which worked quite well. They have some nice options smile.gif

Duke on Ancient Winged Aralez 225
- DEF6 35
Duke on Ancient Winged Aralez 225
- Regen 5+ 35
Army standard on steed 65
Wizard 50
- bane chant 15
- inspiring talisman 20
City Militia (Horde) 165
City Militia (Horde) 165
Household Knights (Regiment) 195
Household Knights (Regiment) 195
Iron beast 210
Iron beast 210
Howitzer 95
Howitzer 95

--------------------
QUOTE(Stallandor @ Feb 1 2017, 11:19 AM) *
Victoria has its MikeCro. All hail Mikecro, MikeCon, and the the state of Mikecronesia

Vagabonds Club
+Quote Post
N.I.C.K
post Aug 28 2016, 05:23 PM
Post #45

Ok so after two games it ended in a win (control) and a loss (loot), list 1 had the win against Brotherhood while list 2 had the loss against KoM.

So going through the units I took:

List 1:
2 x Spear regiments
For 120pts I really liked these guys, could take a few hits and still be ok, phalanx to take away TC and 15 attacks coming back at you. Not going to set the world alight, but as a support unit they filled their role and the unlock is as always invaluable.
2 x City Militia troop I took these in both games (well one in the second) and they performed ok. They got in the way and counter charged a cav unit which had charged the spears to take it off so I guess they did their job. Unsure on these guys overall.
Regiment of Knights with Caterpiller
Does what it says on the tin, I think a regiment of knights is always usefull in pretty much any list, caterpiller makes them great).
Horde of Halfling Archers
These guys were MVP, sat a few inches back from the 12" game and just peppered away all game. Being bane chanted by the wizard, they eventually took down a forsaken exemplar over 3 turns as he zoomed across the middle of the board. He never came for them as for such a cheap unit they are still 19/21 so would take a few turns to get rid of. Stealthy helps them in any fire wars against other shooters. The horde unlock was also great.
2 x Volley Guns
Very underwhelming in the game, however they did do what I wanted (zone control) as Michael redeployed a bunch of units opposite them and was sure to stay out of 24" with others that came in through there. They were ultimately both lightning'd off by a devoted on horse and didn't do much in terms of damage but their threat helped me control the right flank. Also don't be afraid to move these guys and set up other firing arcs if things became sparse. I did this with one after turn 3 and it was useful in chipping in a few wounds to other targets in the middle of the board. Will probably stick with 2 for board control.
Duke on Ancient Winged Aralez with blade of Slashing
Big flyer that isn't too expensive, what's not to like. I never used it's heal, but the 7A at CS2 TC1 was nice. Will probably stick with it.
Iron Beast Underwhelmed, although to be honest I screwed up and put it opposite two siege artillery which I thought were ballista's despite reading on his list they were siege artillery (the models were in fact ballistas though). So three hits in turns 1&2 sent it rocking and I was lucky to have a double 1 rolled for it to stay on and chip in with 2 breath weapons before it was taken off. More misdeployment than anything else. It's slow though, however with natural Def 6 I can see it's utility.

Wizard with bane chant and inspiring
BSB with Scrying Gem There are same games where I find the scrying gem awesome and others where I find it meh. The healing charm in game 2 was useful to keep my honour guard alive though. There were times to where I wish I had something like the boomstick or even the warbow to knock a wound of something which had gotten away/rolled a lucky nerve/individual low nerve character runing around. Undecided where I'll go with this guy in terms of items. 9" inspire is awesome.

List 2:
These guys were beasts, took two knight regiments to the front (both with CS 1) and gave no fecks. Got taken out by a rear/front charge (presented with no choice) the turn after. Baller, but very very expensive and doesn't provide unlocks as it's *. Liked it, but still to be convinced in terms of the whole army composition.
Knight Regiment with Caterpiller Potion
Honour Guard Regiment
These guys got caught in a crappy situation after some annoying nerve rolls on my left flank, they survived with some healing and the natural CS1 with 3+ to hit is cool but I wonder whether another knight regiment is just better for 15 more points.............probably made to be a horde unit with 24A.
2 x Regiment of Halfling Archers
Not bad for 90pts, sat one in a piece of difficult terrain opposite his arquebusier with +1 to hit horde so they were still hitting on 6's biggrin.gif Not going to do much but giving an unlock and chipping in a little bit with shooting makes them decent (stealthy is cool again against other shooters).
Halfling Scout Troop
These guys surprised me. They were the first unit I painted up and they look awesome so I wanted to use them but thought they'd be sheet. The nimble is actually very useful here, solving the frustrations I had at being able to chase stuff down similar to what I said in the army standard's comments. The ability to pivot 180 degrees cause of nimble and shooting without penalty was useful to put those extra 1/2 wounds on to things. Wouldn't necessarily include every time, but a useful unit to consider if the rest of your shooting is more static hordes/WMs.
City Militia Troop
Volley Gun
Duke on Ancient Winged Aralez with Blade of Slashing
BSB with Healing Charm
Mage with Bane Chant, Heal and Inspiring.

All in all I was just pumped to get these guys out on the table and look forward to getting some more games in!!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
HaggisMacbeth
post Aug 28 2016, 07:07 PM
Post #46

Member No.: 12,893

It makes me very happy that the Halfling horde was the MVP smile.gif I love the model choice for that unit and I'm very much looking forward to seeing pics of more completed painted halflings

In regards to the 2 x Volley Guns, it sounds very close to my experience in using double Helblasters (with supporting Engineers) with the Empire in WHFB. Different game I know but the effect sounds very similar in that it creates this zone of control that no one wants to enter and you find it very difficult to get kills to make the machines 'pay for themselves' and you really need to exploit that board control advantage otherwise you've just paid alot of points for nothing. I ran it for a while but ultimately dropped it in favour of a single Helblaster as I found it better when someone actually walked into that 24" bubble and would cop just one machine armata_PDT_12.gif

However I think in KoW they will be more effective. Given the emphasis on scenarios and objectives, which usually relates to specific points on the board, double Volley Guns could be really amazing by either keeping enemy units from going near those points or blasting them when they are forced to go in to pick up loot or contest a zone. I think careful positioning and deployment to cover as many of those points on the board will be essential. I think it'd be worth running them more and seeing if you can make them work better.
+Quote Post
N.I.C.K
post Sep 9 2016, 01:35 PM
Post #47

Ok so tomorrow is the League of Legrandia's first tourney outing! This is what I'll be taking for tomorrow to try a few things out.

Horde of Halfling archers - Heart Seeking Chant
Regiment of Halfling braves - Flying hammer
Regiment of halfling braves
Halfling Volley Gun
Halfling Volley Gun
Halfling Iron Beast
Regiment of Knights - Potion of the Caterpiller
Horde of Dogs of War - Potion of Strength
Wizard - Bane Chant and Inspiring
Army standard - War bow
Baron on Horse - Crystal Pendant

Basilean Allies
Horde of Elohi
Ur-Elohi

So I've ditched the flying duke given I already have two sources of flying and have spruced up my units a bit and put in the suicide bombing cav hero. Now I don't know whether I'm going to leave myself spread too thin on inpsiring, only two sources plus the baron who only inspires the Knights and Dogs of War, but the 9" bubble helps.

This post has been edited by N.I.C.K: Sep 9 2016, 01:57 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
BennyH
post Sep 9 2016, 01:56 PM
Post #48

Member No.: 16,780

Love the suicide bomber idea, be interested to hear (and hopefully not experience) how he goes.
+Quote Post
Stallandor
post Sep 9 2016, 02:53 PM
Post #49

Member No.: 306

Top List that, threats everywhere!

--------------------
Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile away, and have their shoes.

Check out the Australian Kings of War Rankings - http://oz-kow-rankings.appspot.com/region=2&game=5
+Quote Post
N.I.C.K
post Sep 11 2016, 07:29 PM
Post #50

So the League of Legrandia had its first outing yesterday at Kings of Win 3. Getting an extra 4 games in one day was great and I learnt a lot more about the army.

However the performance left much to be desired. I walked away with 1 win and 3 losses. One loss was a classic lose turn 6 win turn 7, another was very tight but a few unlucky combats mid game made it hard to come back from and then another was a very comprehensive loss where I was thoroughly outdeployed and outplayed. I felt pretty comfortable in my win as I had set up my shooting lanes very effective and with only two sources of inspiring my opponent suffered.

I'll go through what I thought about the choices in my list.

Horde of Halfling archers - Heart Seeking Chant
These guys were really great for 180pts. Provides unlocks, go to piercing 2 with BC. I think I'll definitely be keeping these guys.
Regiment of Halfling braves - Flying hammer
Regiment of halfling braves
The braves were ok. I guess for 80pts they were the chaff they needed to be and provided unlocks. Undecided what I'll do with these guys. It's also a case of "what else"; I don't know what I'd put in their place though as I want some chaff and need the unlocks.
Halfling Volley Gun
Halfling Volley Gun
Some games they were naff, some games they were awesome. I need to remember to always run them together though to get the most out of their killzone. I think I need some mobile shooters though to supplement them, as opponents can avoid their zone. For 170pts I think they are one of the "staple" League units which you'll see in most lists.
Halfling Iron Beast
Really unsure about this one. I found more often than not I was using it for the breath weapon. The 5+ to hit in combat is also pretty abysmal. Sp5 is also a bit meh. Natural Def 6+ though is great, if opponent have anything less than CS2 they will struggle to get through it. This boys is definitely up for review.[/color]
Regiment of Knights - Potion of the Caterpiller
Knights are knights. With the caterpiller potion I think they're pretty staple in most lists as a way to by-pass terrain.
B.E.A.S.T.S.....these guys are monsters with their phalanx, def 5 and ensare. Brew of strength is a must for them to do anything offensively. These will be staying.
Wizard - Bane Chant and Inspiring
Stock standard, needed in the list.
Army standard - War bow
Tried him with a few items but I think the warbow is great. Reason being is with the warbow being 5pts you can focus on the army standard doing what he needs to do - providing inspiring. If you load him up with more expensive items you feel you can never move at the double as you need to use their shooting attack. For 5pts the warbow is great for chipping off that wound to force nerve rolls.
Baron on Horse - Crystal Pendant
The experiment that failed. He only blew up once all tourney and did 4 hits. I found that with the crystal pendant the extra 50pts meant he was very expensive for a Ne 10/12 guy with 4 attacks. Baron on horse was useful, but I would probably run him with something else, maybe the breath 10 item.

Basilean Allies
Horde of Elohi
Ur-Elohi
Both solid, self inspiring flyers. Will keep them regardless of their points effectiveness and fit within the League list cause I love the models.

So all in all the iron beast, halfling braves, baron on horse are the units mainly up for review. I sometimes feel looking across the table that I have a bit of everything and not enough focus compared to my opponent's lists. Food for thought.

--------------------

+Quote Post
fued
post Sep 11 2016, 07:57 PM
Post #51

Member No.: 12,343

i found iron beasts worked well in a more gunline army, with less shooting you wouldnt need them anywhere near as much
+Quote Post
marius
post Sep 12 2016, 11:13 AM
Post #52

Member No.: 169

Cheers Nick, love the insights and the write up.

Would swapping the braves out for the scouts work? Provide that mobile shooting?
+Quote Post
N.I.C.K
post Sep 12 2016, 11:38 AM
Post #53

QUOTE(marius @ Sep 12 2016, 11:13 AM) *

Cheers Nick, love the insights and the write up.

Would swapping the braves out for the scouts work? Provide that mobile shooting?

The problem is I need unlocks, unfortunately the horde of dogs of war are irregular so don't unlock anything.

I'm going to be doing a bit of list hammering when I get some time to rejig a few things.

Any other ideas people have would be much appreciated!

--------------------

+Quote Post
DarthSabre
post Sep 12 2016, 07:09 PM
Post #54

Member No.: 12,556

I think you may have underestimated the effectiveness of the flying Duke - I thought it was a good threat source

--------------------
Twitter: Darth-Sabre@darth_michaelc
My Blog : Darth's Miniature Wargaming Adventures
+Quote Post
N.I.C.K
post Sep 19 2016, 11:41 AM
Post #55

Ok getting closer to Castle Assault so I need to settle on a list. As you've all seen in previous posts, I've wanted to include Elohi Allies as a part of my list given I have the awesome Sigmarine angel models. This has previously taken the form of a horde of Elohi and an Ur-Elohi. At this stage I've decided to drop the Ur-Elohi to free up more points in my main League list. I found that in list construction I was too restricted with choices I could make after I'd eaten up 480pts worth of allies.

I'd ideally like 1 more drop as I see 13 as an optimal number where you can generally outdeploy your opponent but also don't dilute the quality of your units too much. I also would prefer to have another chaff unit (which I see as the halfling scouts) which can happily drop out of the main battle line and sit on objectives in pillage/kill and pillage. I have 5pts left over and have no idea how to spend it so feedback is welcome!

Horde of Halfling Braves - Flying Hammer
Horde of Halfling Archers - Heart seeking chant
Troop of Halfling Scouts
Horde of Dogs of War - Brew of Strength
Regiment of Knights - Caterpiller Potion
Volley Gun
Volley Gun
Iron Beast
Wizard - Bane Chant, Inspiring
Army Standard - War Bow
Duke on Ancient Winged Aralez - Enscorcelled Armour
Allied Elohi Horde

EDIT: I could split the Halfling Braves in to two regiments and downgrade the armour on my Duke to Brew of Courage as a means to get an extra drop and more chaff. I feel that with the Iron beast and Dogs of War I already have two very formidable anvils and the extra unit of braves is perhaps too many tricky to move hordes on the board and harder to keep my firing lanes clear.

This post has been edited by N.I.C.K: Sep 19 2016, 11:45 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dru
post Sep 19 2016, 12:08 PM
Post #56

Member No.: 31

QUOTE(Dru @ Aug 25 2016, 10:34 AM) *

Missing the two best units (IMO) from the list:

Dogs of War with strength potion

QUOTE(Dru @ Aug 25 2016, 11:32 AM) *

Def5, ensnare, phalanx, cs1. Soooooo good.

QUOTE(N.I.C.K @ Aug 28 2016, 05:23 PM) *

These guys were beasts, took two knight regiments to the front (both with CS 1) and gave no fecks. Got taken out by a rear/front charge (presented with no choice) the turn after. Baller, but very very expensive and doesn't provide unlocks as it's *. Liked it, but still to be convinced in terms of the whole army composition.

QUOTE(N.I.C.K @ Sep 11 2016, 07:29 PM) *

B.E.A.S.T.S.....these guys are monsters with their phalanx, def 5 and ensare. Brew of strength is a must for them to do anything offensively. These will be staying.

Told ya. One of the best units in the game. DoW +1CS are the best.

The allied unit takes the points I'd use on Honour Guard if running pure LoR.

This post has been edited by Dru: Sep 19 2016, 12:10 PM
+Quote Post
Dru
post Sep 19 2016, 12:12 PM
Post #57

I haven't done the math on your list but

Horde of Halfling Braves - Flying Hammer
Horde of Halfling Archers - Heart seeking chant
Troop of Halfling Scouts
Horde of Dogs of War - Brew of Strength
Regiment of Knights - Caterpiller Potion
Volley Gun
Volley Gun
Iron Beast
Wizard - Bane Chant, Inspiring
Army Standard - War Bow
Duke on Ancient Winged Aralez - Enscorcelled Armour
Allied Elohi Horde

I'd be keen to split the Halfling archers into two regiments. Also, not a fan of the Braves. Get some of their mounted Halfling knights as more agile chaff? (who can also flank/warmachine hunt if left alone).
I like dropping the Ur-Elohi. Maybe get another cheap mounted hero to block/add another inspire bubble?

This post has been edited by Dru: Sep 19 2016, 12:13 PM
+Quote Post
N.I.C.K
post Sep 19 2016, 12:20 PM
Post #58

QUOTE(Dru @ Sep 19 2016, 12:12 PM) *

I haven't done the math on your list but
I'd be keen to split the Halfling archers into two regiments. Also, not a fan of the Braves. Get some of their mounted Halfling knights as more agile chaff? (who can also flank/warmachine hunt if left alone).
I like dropping the Ur-Elohi. Maybe get another cheap mounted hero to block/add another inspire bubble?

I've run the archers in both two x regiments and one x horde and I've found that you get the best millage out of 1 x horde which mainly stems from the bane chant and magic item efficiency. Also the unlocks across characters/WM/monster is important for my list construction/legality.

Unfortunately I'm restricted by choices somewhat on the model front, I don't have any models for halfling knights. If I were to drop the braves, what would you put in instead as I need the unlocks and they provide cheap chaff?

Yes if I was running pure league I'd put in a horde of honour guard and probably reshuffled points to fit in the Shrine for 18/20 on the honour guard and 22/24 on the dogs of war.

This post has been edited by N.I.C.K: Sep 19 2016, 12:21 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dru
post Sep 19 2016, 12:27 PM
Post #59

Shame re mounted halflings. Nimble is lovely.

My work blocks access to Easyarmy and I forgot to bring iPad for lunch time, so I don't have a response off the top off my head on the unlock front (its one of the great list building elements of KoW, that's for sure).
+Quote Post
marius
post Sep 19 2016, 04:22 PM
Post #60

Member No.: 169

Is making the Horde of Braves 2 regiments an option? Would need to give up the Brew of Strength or Piercing to make it happen though.

Gives the extra unit/deployment and creates some more chaff.
+Quote Post

8 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2019 - 08:20 AM