Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Love Kings of war but sometimes miss the old worlde, Total War Warhammer cinematics
marius
post Jul 27 2017, 12:20 PM
Post #1

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 169

As it says, I love kings of war but sometimes mantica just doesn't compare to the Old Worlde

Like this take on the norse (varangur)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbrbDa9EBR0

Beastmen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsbyqRxwcRU

High Elves, Dark Elves and Lizards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8olml7HdaXQ

Wood Elves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoiks2rQa9o

Hoping mantic can get a bit more life into their fluff.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Arch_Magos_Kasen
post Jul 27 2017, 12:25 PM
Post #2

Tomato
Group Icon

Group: WargamerAU Sponsor
Member No.: 6,619

Yeah its a real shame that GW took everyone's copies of the past 8 editions of rules and army books and burned them all when they stopped supporting WFB. Otherwise people could just, I dunno, play those games still.

--------------------
Puns about communism aren't funny unless everyone gets them.

Soon there'll be no freedoms left for threatening, then we'll have won the war, take that terrorism! ~ Juice Media
+Quote Post
marius
post Jul 27 2017, 01:27 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(Arch_Magos_Kasen @ Jul 27 2017, 12:25 PM) *

Yeah its a real shame that GW took everyone's copies of the past 8 editions of rules and army books and burned them all when they stopped supporting WFB. Otherwise people could just, I dunno, play those games still.

I know, and it was even better that I specifically mentioned only the background/setting without making reference to the rules of WFB or missing the rules for that game.

Maybe go back to railing against capitalism.
+Quote Post
N.I.C.K
post Jul 27 2017, 01:37 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 5,981

+1 for the fluff and universe that get's you EXCITED!

I'm really looking forward to the Canberra 1 dayer in August but have to say outside of looking forward to an event there's not a huge amount that's getting me excited about kings ATM.

--------------------
QUOTE(Ehsteve @ Apr 9 2015, 01:56 PM) *

I have seen that word (fued, fu'ed, and all variants therein) many times in the past few months...what does it mean?

Adjective; Fued: The art of being inherently awesome, having excessive amounts of swag and generally giving zero farks.

Active member of the Infernal Muppets Gaming Club | Tweet @lecopoutking
+Quote Post
D_Arquebus
post Jul 27 2017, 01:41 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 10,027

That said, seeing the Background as distinct to the rules anyway... why not theme your KOW models/ armies/ games after the Old World anyway?

--------------------
Ausbowl - The FB home of Oz Blood Bowl
NZ BB Community THe FB home of NZ Blood Bowl
thenaf.net - Home of the NAF (Worldwide Blood Bowl Community)
+Quote Post
mattc
post Jul 27 2017, 01:56 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 15,630

Playing Total war has definitely made me crave that depth of the old world story... hopefully with time you never know... Mantic are still young compared to GW
+Quote Post
mikecro
post Jul 27 2017, 04:32 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 2,103

QUOTE(N.I.C.K @ Jul 27 2017, 01:37 PM) *

+1 for the fluff and universe that get's you EXCITED!

I'm really looking forward to the Canberra 1 dayer in August but have to say outside of looking forward to an event there's not a huge amount that's getting me excited about kings ATM.

For me the gameplay is still second to none. I don't really mind the lack of fluff, I just like the system, tactics and the fellow nerds I get to talk kow with smile.gif

--------------------
QUOTE(Stallandor @ Feb 1 2017, 11:19 AM) *
Victoria has its MikeCro. All hail Mikecro, MikeCon, and the the state of Mikecronesia

Vagabonds Club
+Quote Post
Arch_Magos_Kasen
post Jul 27 2017, 06:24 PM
Post #8

Tomato
Group Icon

Group: WargamerAU Sponsor
Member No.: 6,619

QUOTE(marius @ Jul 27 2017, 02:27 PM) *

I know, and it was even better that I specifically mentioned only the background/setting without making reference to the rules of WFB or missing the rules for that game.

Maybe go back to railing against capitalism.

Oh sure, well, I'm sorry you miss the parts that are imaginary and entirely up to your own internal narrative.

Have you tried saying to yourself 'my small plastic humans are fighting to defend the Empire from the army of plastic orcs' instead of saying 'my small plastic humans are fighting to defend Basilica from the army of plastic orcs'?

I'm trying to be tongue in cheek, not genuinely having a go. I just don't see why people act as if the Old World is some lost relic. Play some games that are set in it, using the rules for Kings of War (which are great I agree). Your creativity and imagination are not limited by the company making the rules you use smile.gif

--------------------
Puns about communism aren't funny unless everyone gets them.

Soon there'll be no freedoms left for threatening, then we'll have won the war, take that terrorism! ~ Juice Media
+Quote Post
Swordmaster
post Jul 27 2017, 08:35 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 12,525

Hello,

To my own surprise I actually don't miss Warhammer World. I still like it a lot and it provided countless hours of enjoyment on many levels.

The trailers for Warhammer Total War are absolutely fantastic and I would probably try the game if I could run it on my computer. But one of the returning thought after watching every new video is to try and imagine how it would be if they didn't move towards Age of Sigmar. However, it is just a bit of a sentimental thought about the past.

While I am excited about the new summer campaign I also noticed I am not that concerned about the results of it. I assume that the narrative will be developed one way or the other and I am just curious what they are going to make out of it.

What does excite me, however, is the opportunity to keep painting the models I accumulated over the years. I improved my painting skills and in combination with multibasing it is really very enjoyable. What also excites me is the fact that thanks to the streamlined set of rules I can focus on outsmarting my opponent and trying to figure out new battle plans instead of constantly trying to stay up to date with multitude of rules. That often contradict each other.

In addition, I am also very happy to explore other possibilities KoW provides. Be it Historical version or even 10mm small scale that some people adapt.

For me it is a perfect system. I have limited time for the hobby so I am glad I can spend it on playing, painting and modelling. I have enough miniatures so I don't necessarily want to buy more but I am more than happy to pay for supplements and expansions of any kind. This way I stay motivated to keep painting while exploring new gaming possibilities.

It was different with Warhammer World back in the past and somehow I don't think I would enjoy it that much even if it existed.

Cheers!
+Quote Post
Neal b
post Jul 28 2017, 08:07 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 14,203

I believe Mantic are aware of the lack of background and are working to build this. It's a massive task. GW have so many years of structuring the Old World, Mantic are always going to be behind.

With the new games like the future Skirmish game Ronnie has mentioned, and more books always in the pipeline, the fluff for the game is sure to expand.

In the meantime, just enjoy the game and maybe write some of your own and submit it, never know, it may become part of something.
+Quote Post
marius
post Jul 28 2017, 12:05 PM
Post #11

It probably is more sentimental as its been part of my gaming for 20+ years.

+Quote Post
Morgrim
post Jul 28 2017, 01:03 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 2,692

I miss the old world and though i havent played KoW in quite some time but in my own head I was still playing Chaos Dwarfs.

--------------------
Cheers

Morgrim
+Quote Post
Chaplain_Fortis
post Jul 28 2017, 02:24 PM
Post #13

Authority Bared

Member No.: 4,901

Yup. I was always playing old world dudes in a different ruleset. They're both fairly generic fantasy anyway, the names of things aren't particularly important.

--------------------
Existential memes for nihilistic teens
+Quote Post
Demon
post Jul 28 2017, 03:23 PM
Post #14

Lord of The Crossroads
Group Icon

Group: Support Veteran
Member No.: 218

IPB Image

^ me

I kept the dwarf army because I swore I'd finish it one day. I've chosen to ignore everything that happened after 'hey that comet has two tails, weird'

--------------------
MAY YOUR FOREHEAD GROW LIKE THE MIGHTY OAK

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded. - T Pratchett

QUOTE(WitchFinderGeneral @ Jul 2 2017, 05:43 PM) *

Being a little bitch is in my genes apparently.
+Quote Post
Swordmaster
post Jul 28 2017, 08:00 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 12,525

QUOTE(marius @ Jul 28 2017, 12:05 PM) *

It probably is more sentimental as its been part of my gaming for 20+ years.

Oh, I totally agree! I can't stop wondering how would it look like if the Warhammer Total War games were released when Old World was still there. I imagine there would be a lot of enthusiasm for both, computer and table top game.

But it also made me realize that after 20+ years I am a different wargamer who may be simply looking at different aspects of the hobby now than before.

And who knows, it may be actually a good combination. Computer game for that sentimental journey and KoW for the present table top experience.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th October 2019 - 11:08 PM