Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A Tale of Four Kings, Follow the story of four gamers as they build 2000pt Kings of War armi
kakwah
post Jun 20 2018, 08:56 PM
Post #1

Group: Bad Trader
Member No.: 14,670

I Have been wanting to be involved in something like this for a little while, but never quite had the motivation to get the ball rolling. For some reason it all seemed to fall into place and the timing seems right, so here we go.

The rules are simple. Four mates will collect a brand new Kings of War army over the coming months, growing in 500 point increments until we have a full 2000 pt army. We will then all take these armies along to debut at an event together. The aim is to document the whole process from army selection, painting and gaming. We will use this thread for day to day updates and tracking progress and then at each 500pt interval we will have a gaming day and put together a blog post with thoughts and pictures. Sounds great yeah?

Anyway without any further ado I`ll introduce the gentlemen that will be involved.

N.I.C.K

DarthSabre

DerdyDog

And of course myself, Kakwah

Let the games begin.

This post has been edited by kakwah: Jun 20 2018, 09:01 PM

--------------------
Proud to be a #wollongronk
------------------------

Tweet@gronkhammer

QUOTE(Blade_of_Apollo @ Jul 31 2014, 11:46 AM) *

Fun: A process whereby you take off all your opponents toys whilst they sit huddled in a corner, rocking back and forth whilst you cackle with glee and admiration at your own skill.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DarthSabre
post Jun 20 2018, 09:02 PM
Post #2

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 12,556

As I have only ever played good armies I have decided to do any evil army for our campaign. As I wanted to support Mantic I have decided to do Forces of Abyss for my Army.

Looking forward to what the other come up with - although I assume N.I.C.K the power gamer will go for a hard as rocks army, Kakwah the fluff gamer will bring a nice themed army and Derbydog the ultimate power gamer will bring the filth ohmy.gif

Currently planning my army but looking forward to this - looking to buy the Forces of Abyss mega army to start with.

My 500 point list will be:

Moloch regiment
Moloch regiment
Hellhound troop
Daenerys - Queen of the North - Abysmal Temptress with bane chant

Total 490 points

I laugh in the face of the other Kings -The King of the North shall rule - bring it on 😀😀😀

PS: any reference to others work is purely fictional and not deliberate 😂😂😂

This post has been edited by DarthSabre: Jun 20 2018, 10:12 PM

--------------------
Twitter: Darth-Sabre@darth_michaelc
My Blog : Darth's Miniature Wargaming Adventures
+Quote Post
kakwah
post Jun 20 2018, 09:41 PM
Post #3

I still remember when I was first getting into fantasy spending weeks tossing up between Wood Elves or Bretonnians. Ultimately I chose Wood Elves and the rest as they say is history but I have always carried a soft spot for the Brets. Reading about battles like Crecy, Poitiers and Agincourt cemented my love for the idea of an army of peasant longbows backed up by elite heavy cavalry.

To this end I have decided to build a Brotherhood Army in the theme of Bretonnia of old. I want to capture the feel of an old Bretonnian army with the wedges, lances and skirmishing squires and try and include some oldhammer models but blended with some modern models and techniques.

My army fluff will grow over the coming months but basically my army will consist of the forces of house Berger lead by the youngest Son and only remaining heir, Jaquin le Berger a young knight out to prove himself to his father. His eldest brother Loys de Berger has not been heard from for many years after leaving on a fools quest to find the true grail and perhaps a few maidens along the way. He may make an appearance later in the campaign. I plan on having a solid core of peasant infantry, mostly with longbows but of course will have some knights for Jaquin to lead to glory.

500 pt list.

Jaquin le Berger - Exemplar of the Brotherhood on a brotherhood warhorse, sole remaining heir of house Berger

Regiment of Villein Bowman
Regiment of Villein Bowman

Regiment of Villein Initiates

Total: 485 pts

--------------------
------------------------

Tweet@gronkhammer

Fun: A process whereby you take off all your opponents toys whilst they sit huddled in a corner, rocking back and forth whilst you cackle with glee and admiration at your own skill.
+Quote Post
marius
post Jun 21 2018, 10:18 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 169

Good stuff, like where this is going.
+Quote Post
mattc
post Jun 21 2018, 10:46 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 15,630

Can't wait for updates.
+Quote Post
N.I.C.K
post Jun 23 2018, 05:01 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 5,981

Ok so I'm a bit behind the 8 ball, currently in Russia at the world cup. In soviet Russia internet connect to you when it decide, not other way round.

Anyway I'm pumped to do a new KoW army. I've done a bit of a generic human army to play across kom, rhordia, basilea and brotherhood but I'm looking to do an army with more flavour. I really would like to do an all mantic army but the limited choices on most ranges makes it hard.

After lots of time on planes and trains pondering I've narrowed it down to Salamanders and Undead. Both armies can play in a number of ways which appeal to my list building ADD. Now it's largely coming down to aesthetic and models, bonus of undead is I can fulfil my desire to have a mostly mantic army and its easy to get my hands on all the models. Sallies are a bit harder as I need to scrape around the 2nd hand market to get mostly gw lizards.

Watch this space as I'll update with some fluff and inspiration once I've decided.

--------------------
QUOTE(Ehsteve @ Apr 9 2015, 01:56 PM) *

I have seen that word (fued, fu'ed, and all variants therein) many times in the past few months...what does it mean?

Adjective; Fued: The art of being inherently awesome, having excessive amounts of swag and generally giving zero farks.

Active member of the Infernal Muppets Gaming Club | Tweet @lecopoutking
+Quote Post
Derdydog
post Jun 24 2018, 06:55 PM
Post #7

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,097

Ok, so heres my ass about method of starting a KoW army. Find cool models, then try to find the entries that they can be used as! What could go wrong?
IMO games workshop undoubtedly make the most amazing models, however, if you told me that for the last two years, they had an austistic monkey with a mean crack habit writing the rules, everything would make sense to me. A lot more sense than flying sharks. wink.gif
So... with the release of the nighthaunts, i found myself wanting to buy these beauties and never really wanting to ever play a game of AoS again.
Enter Kakwah and a genious idea for another slow grow, of another system... KoW ... and im in!
Night(haunt)Stalkers ftw! Some choices, like the reapers will just fit perfectly, some may take a little creativity with bases to help the fit, but the challenege has me pumped!

This post has been edited by Derdydog: Jun 24 2018, 06:56 PM
+Quote Post
kakwah
post Jun 28 2018, 06:18 PM
Post #8

Ok update time. We have set a date for the first 500 points to be ready on the 25th of August. We will be gaming that weekend at kakfest so should be the perfect opportunity to get the armies out on the table and snapping some pictures.

My idea for my army is progressing, at the moment I am wanting to do up the oldhammer models on goblin green bases, rank them up in the lances and wedges and then glue them down to an mdf base that is painted maybe matt black, or perhaps goblin green. i`ll have to do some tests to see what works. I would be interested if anyone had any thoughts about this, if they think it will look good or if I am just better off multi-basing them like normal.

As far as models I have managed to dig up a green knight model that I plan to use for my lord, and I have ordered some old mono pose archers new on sprue and bret knights to use as my regiments.

--------------------
------------------------

Tweet@gronkhammer

+Quote Post
N.I.C.K
post Jul 12 2018, 04:48 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 5,981

So back in the country in one piece! Seriously get yourself to a World Cup if you ever have the chance best experience. After much deliberating while away I've decided on Salamanders. I think their army has cool flavour and I'm up for the challenge of playing with a perceived "low tier" army.

For those active on BSS forums and facebook pages you may have noticed I've been busy. 2nd hand lizards is where I'm looking and have started to close some deals and procure myself an army. Hopefully will start to get some minis soon to start painting. For the first 500pts I'll likely go with some of the basics, salamander primes and ghekkotah warriors with a mounted character to top it off.

Naturally I'm thinking about the gaming side when I'm procuring stuff so let's have a run down the list of salamander choices (as they appear on easy army) at first glance:

Salamander Primes - Like: Solid anvil that can fight with the inbuilt CS1. Pathfinder is nice with the larger footprint. I think they're decent from troop to horde.

Salamander Unblooded - Unsure: One of those awkward "inbetween units", I can't figure out whether I like them or whether they're just overcosted. Does the lower points offset the lack of pathfinder and lower nerve/defence compared to the primes? I'll probably need some playtesting to decide. In fairness I'm likely to play one or the other and given they're the same base size I'll be using primes as unblooded.

Ancients - Unsure but leaning towards like: They're expensive at 170pts for a regiment but fearless 17 with Def 5 is nice, especially as you don't need to give up the Def 5 to get CS1 unlike a lot of other elite regiments. Troops could be interesting at a 50pt discount for only 2 less attacks at fearless 13.

Corsairs - Unsure: By themselves I don't think they're that great BUT when you start making them fearless with Firebrand and add in the formation for elite and +1 nerve then fearless 13 with elite on those pistols could be interesting. Getting models will be an issue for these guys as there's nothing really like them so they're likely to be an after purchase anyway but if anyone has ideas for models let me know!

Ceremonial Guard - Dislike: Expensive spear regiment, for 10pts more I'd take ancients.

Ghekkotah Warriors - Like: Vicious and that many attacks? Yes please! All the way from troops to horde they look good. Prime candidate for a bane chant.

Ghekkotah Hunters - Unsure: Nimble Sp7 is nice but they're pricey at 100pts. I wouldn't do upgrades as they start to get exy. I'm buying a lot of skinks so I'll likely do a troop of these with the blowpipe guys and paint them a different scheme.

Fire Elementals - Meh: I want a salamander army and don't really want to go down the route of investing in elementals with surge, a greater etc. I don't think they're bad but not what I'm after.

Tyrants - Like: They're slow and hit on 4+ which is a bit meh BUT with CS2, Vicious and Brutal they hurt when they hit. Fury, high def and nerve makes them relatively resilient for the points as well. I like them in both regiment and horde, the formation looks interesting to give 2 regiments and a horde strider.

Ember Sprites - Like: Breath 6 isn't great but it'd annoying on a screening unit that can score. Regiments are my prefered option for the screening role but they could be ok in a horde.

Kaisenor Lancers - Like: Weird type of cav with Def 4 and 4+ to hit but I quite like them with the inbuilt CS, higher attacks and vicious. Cheap too.

Ghekkotah Skyraiders - Like: The horde with Jar of four winds now they're at 18A is almost akin to the old ogre shooters with +1 to hit, most salamander lists have them and it's easy to see why. Unsure on the regiments but now they're at 9A it's something worth thinking about IMO.

Ancients on Rhinosaurs - Like: The pain train. Only in horde. I'm going to get two stegadons and fill the howadahs with saurus for my horde of these guys.

Komodon - Unsure but leaning towards like: It's cheap and long range with piercing 2 and vicious which is cool. 3 shots at 5+ to hit isn't though despite the blast. A scoring bolt thrower has it's uses though.

Greater Fire Elemental - Meh: As above don't want to go down this route

Lekelidon - Like: 3 of these seem to be a staple in most armies and again easy to see why, mobile shooter which can score and also be chaff.

Fire Drake - Dislike: It's just too many points unfortunately. It's one of those choices which does two things decently but pays the price for both.

Ankylodon Battle Platform - Dislike: Too many points for what it does. Just compare it to the steel bohemoth for the points and weep.

Clan Lord - Dislike: I typically don't like these expensive individual heroes with 5A. Maybe it's just me but they seem too expensive for what they add.

Herald - Like: Always been a fan of the cheap inspiring guys.

Mage Priest - Like: Fireball 10 with elite is nice, plus it's durable with def 5. Matyrs pray is obviously a tasty options.

Battle Captain - Like: Why would you take a clan lord for twice the cost when you can have this guy?

Battle Captain on Rhinosaur - Dislike: I want to like this guy but he just feels a bit much for what he does.

Clan Lord on Fire Drake - Like: He is expensive but he's damn cool. Give him wings obviously so he can fly around flaming while he threatens flanks. Unsure where i'd go elite for the elite/vicious combo or boots of levitation for march and breath.

Ghekkotah Clutch Warden - Dislike: Feels like you're paying for multiple things which it does ok. 3A is eh and it only inspires ghekkos.

Ghekkotah Skylord - Like: Solid choice for cheap flying character who can chip away with blowpipes but also add nicely to a flank with 10A on Me3+ and vicious with inbuilt inspiring to boot.

Firebrand - Undecided: In fairness fearless 15 with inbuilt inspiring is pretty resilient for 120pts. 5A with decent melee and range also not bad.

Artakl - Like: Spicey bro zooming around with his Piercing 1 that ignores individual penalty. Goes to Piercing 2 against monsters. Inspiring ghekkos as a bonus but I like him even without that.

Whispering scales - Undecided: Would I pay an extra 25pts to give my salamander regiment vangaurd, stealthy and Sp6? Maybe. The vanguard is always a nice tactical option to break up the line and threat stuff early on.

Big fire elemental special character dude - Like: Bloody exy but man he packs a punch. I feel ok about including him as he's fine as a standalone guy without having to invest in surge etc.

So there you go, there's only a handful of units which I feel I wouldn't want to include in my lists. I expect to be hitting up UB to try out different units ahead of our slow grow build up.

--------------------
QUOTE(Ehsteve @ Apr 9 2015, 01:56 PM) *

I have seen that word (fued, fu'ed, and all variants therein) many times in the past few months...what does it mean?

Adjective; Fued: The art of being inherently awesome, having excessive amounts of swag and generally giving zero farks.

Active member of the Infernal Muppets Gaming Club | Tweet @lecopoutking
+Quote Post
DarthSabre
post Jul 12 2018, 08:22 PM
Post #10

So after sitting down and thinking about the campaign and looking at all the unpainted miniatures in my hobby room I decided that maybe starting a new army was not the right thing to do.

So I have decided to add to my Forces of Nature army using the miniatures I had that were waiting to be be painted.

My current Forces of Nature army comprises the following units:

3 x Earth Elemental Hordes
2 x Shamble Regiments
2 x Beasts of Nature
1 x Flying Unicorn
1 x Tree Herder
1 x Druid
1 x Green Lady

In my garage I had the following unit

Salamanders - lots - early edition GW models
Naiads Ensnarers - using Skinks - lots - early edition GW models
Centaurs Bray-Striders x 8 - Reaper bones centaurs
Centaurs Bray-Hunters x 3 - D&D miniatures
Forest Shamblers x 6 - Mierce Miniatures - Beasts of Síleann Fen
Druid x lots - various
Talon Riders - Reaper bones - Avukavali, Snake Demon x 6
Hydra - Mierce Miniature - Thoth, Anax of Ýdron
Tree Warden - Mierce Miniature - Araigh, Ancient of Síleann Fen.
Beast of Nature - Mierce Miniatures - Dairdubh, Beast of Cabhán Wood.

So I thought I would use these models and came up with 4 x approximately 500 points lists and try to group them together as units

So for each of the 4 segments of the slow growth my Army will be:

Round 1
2 x Regiments of Naiad Ensnarers
1 x Naiad Stalker
1 x Hydra

Round 2
salamander Horde
Talon Rider Horde

Round 3
Forest Shambler Horde
Druid
Forest Warden

Round 4
Centaur Bray-Striders Regiment
Centaur Bray-Hunter troop
Centaur Chief
Beast of Nature

The only models I didn';t have were the Centaur Chief and the Naiad Stalker

I purchase the Mantic Centaur Chief and as I was using skinks for my Ensnarers I purchased the mantic model - Artakl - as he fitted the skink theme.

So I have started with Round one and have the Ensnarers based, and started some painting on the Artakl and the Hydra.

Will update regularily

This post has been edited by DarthSabre: Jul 12 2018, 10:59 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Stallandor
post Jul 13 2018, 09:05 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 306

Nice write up Gentlemen!

Good to see you fleshing out the ideas. Plenty of Nature options to investigate there, but the Centaur hero is one of the best models we have - gotta find one somehow.

--------------------
Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile away, and have their shoes.

Check out the Australian Kings of War Rankings - http://oz-kow-rankings.appspot.com/region=2&game=5
+Quote Post
kakwah
post Jul 23 2018, 08:41 PM
Post #12

Update time!

This month I have been slowly working my way through my models, building, playing with basing and paint schemes. I have come up with a colour scheme for the army and completed my first unit!

IPB Image1st unit by Adam Macaskill, on Flickr

I have also 82.55% painted my exemplar and started painting my 2nd regiment of peasant bowman.

Still on the to do list is assemble and paint a regiment of knights as well as finish the other painting that I have started.

Although the weakest painter of the crew I am happy with the look of the regiments so far, I think it will be an effective army scheme.

This post has been edited by kakwah: Jul 25 2018, 08:00 PM

--------------------
------------------------

Tweet@gronkhammer

+Quote Post
DarthSabre
post Jul 24 2018, 08:36 AM
Post #13

Here is my first update for the campaign

A Tale of Four Kings

This post has been edited by DarthSabre: Jul 24 2018, 08:37 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
kakwah
post Jul 25 2018, 07:57 PM
Post #14

Update Exemplar done, onto the next regiment of bowman.

IPB Image2018-07-25_07-53-40 by Adam Macaskill, on Flickr

This post has been edited by kakwah: Jul 25 2018, 08:01 PM

--------------------
------------------------

Tweet@gronkhammer

+Quote Post
HaggisMacbeth
post Jul 25 2018, 11:18 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 12,893

This is looking great and really good to see some painted models hitting the table. Colour scheme is nice, reminds me of the Stir River Patrol I think it was.

Kak- you going to do the knights in a unified scheme or all with unique heraldry? I have a soft spot for the old Bretonnians, they were the first army I collected back in 5th edition, looking forward to seeing them come together
+Quote Post
kakwah
post Jul 26 2018, 04:51 PM
Post #16

QUOTE(HaggisMacbeth @ Jul 25 2018, 11:18 PM) *

This is looking great and really good to see some painted models hitting the table. Colour scheme is nice, reminds me of the Stir River Patrol I think it was.

Kak- you going to do the knights in a unified scheme or all with unique heraldry? I have a soft spot for the old Bretonnians, they were the first army I collected back in 5th edition, looking forward to seeing them come together

My current thought is to have all of my peasants and squires right up and including brotherhood knights all in the green and ivory colour scheme and then have my order of redemption all wearing their own heraldry. In my mind/fluff the knights of the order of the redemption have been given their own lands and titles so will wear their own colours to battle.

--------------------
------------------------

Tweet@gronkhammer

+Quote Post
D_Arquebus
post Jul 26 2018, 06:39 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 10,027

One option is always to have the same colour scheme on the normal knights but different heraldic animals etc.

Seen that done before and it was quite effective. smile.gif

Solid work so far gents, watching with interest.

--------------------
Ausbowl - The FB home of Oz Blood Bowl
NZ BB Community THe FB home of NZ Blood Bowl
thenaf.net - Home of the NAF (Worldwide Blood Bowl Community)
+Quote Post
korocite
post Jul 27 2018, 01:36 PM
Post #18

Group Icon

Group: Support Veteran III
Member No.: 4,947

Nice work . I love the concept and the thought that has gone into the lists thus far. The green/white colour scheme looks good too!
+Quote Post
kakwah
post Jul 27 2018, 04:04 PM
Post #19

An interesting point has come up in our group chat about minimum unit size. Id love some community feedback with regard to :
a/ Does rule of cool allow you to bend the rules with regard to min unit size?
b/How strictly enforced is it at events generally?
c/ Would you have a problem playing against my army?

My archer regiments for instance have 10 models when it should be 11 minimum. I have modelled them this way not to take the piss but because this is what I think looks cool.

Interested to hear some thoughts.

--------------------
------------------------

Tweet@gronkhammer

+Quote Post
marius
post Jul 27 2018, 04:56 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 169

From limited experience it shouldn’t be an issue. Could always stick a dog or assistant model on the base if needed.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th October 2019 - 11:51 AM