Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2019 Mango's Asst Painting
Mango
post Feb 25 2019, 11:05 PM
Post #1

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 84

In 2017 I started a painting blog to help achieve a painting goal of 100 models for the year and it really helped me and I painted 105 models + 18 terrain pieces: http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=187610

I tried to do the same in 2018 and it fell on its arse badly. I just had no painting motivation for the entire year and painted only 6 models: http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=190077

Now Im back in 2019 and currently so is my painting mojo!

I have decided to try and get into AoS, its a game that is easy for me to find an opponent due to a very good GW store about 30 mins drive away so I wont be painting models for a game noone plays and it will also help with my goals which are a little different this year.

2019 Goals:
Paint 50 models - This is quite modest compared to 2017 but it is only half of my goal
Play 10 games - Go back to the 90's as a single guy with single friends and I would blitz this in a week or 2 but in 2019 with a young family and limited personal time I dont think I have played 10 miniatures games in the last 5 years. This will probably be the hardest part of my goals but I am keen to get playing.

So its already the end of February already, what have I been doing?

Well, to ensure I wasnt going to waste anyones time like I did in 2018 I decided to get some painting done first to prove to myself that I had the mojo to try and see this through. (pics in 1st post)

January/February Completed
19 models

March Completed
17 models
8 Barrels scatter terrain

April to August
25 models

September
13 models
1 game played YAY!

Total painted : 74 models, 8 terrain
Total Wargames Played : 1

This post has been edited by Mango: Sep 10 2019, 01:57 PM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mango
post Feb 25 2019, 11:21 PM
Post #2

So AoS huh? What faction?

So i chose the faction based on a number of things
1 - price
2 - ease of painting
3 - usability for other games

I chose Stormcast, they are cheap, they are mostly heavily armoured which suits my drybrush/wash paint style and I wanted to use them as undead wights in KoW so they ticked all 3 boxes.

The theme for my stormcast is a more darker and more gritty 'lost legion/renegade' style, it probably doesnt fit the fluff very much but as I wanted to use them as undead I wanted that old and tarnished look.

I also shaved off the shield logo as I want to find an appropriate transfer at some stage to give them more of a renegade feel maybe a skull motif or similar. I have looked at some of the old old dark elf transfers and some of their icons look cool (but hard to get)

Week 1 - I started with a squad of liberators (old starter set models)
IPB Image

Week 2 - Followed up with another squad (old starter set models)
IPB Image

Week 3 - A squad of Retributors. I decided to leave off the backpacks as i didnt like them. I also converted 2 starsoul maces using some beads my daughter had and the tips off of high elf banners. (old starter set models)
IPB Image

Week 4 - Lord Relictor. I really thought the standard was rubbish, carrying around a coffin on a stick looked stupid so i repurposed the retributor sgt backpack and an old skeleton spear to make a new standard. After painting I posed the model with the extra back tassles and I thought it looked silly, it was ok from the front but a whole cloak made of scriptures looked dumb from the back so I left them off. (old starter set model)
IPB Image

Week 5 - Ballista. (new box set)
IPB Image

The last 2 weeks I have slowed a little as I have played a bit of Xbox and been a bit distracted but luckily I still have gotten through a unit/hero a week.

My last day at work is tomorrow (I quit) so I should have alot more time on my hands this week so no excuses for not getting more done in the upcoming weeks smile.gif

On the table to be painted next are:
3 prosecutors
Knight Incantor

This post has been edited by Mango: Feb 25 2019, 11:22 PM
+Quote Post
Mango
post Mar 5 2019, 06:16 PM
Post #3

OK, got some more painting done for AoS and then needed a bit of a break so painted 3 mantic soldier guys that have been sitting undercoated on the 'to do shelf' for a couple of years.

IPB Image
IPB Image

Next is the prosecutor prime plus I have bought a copy of Star Saga to play with the kids so I might have to paint some of that when it arrives.

I have also found out that there is an AoS tourney in April at 1250 points so I am going to aim to have 1250 painted before then and enter to get some games in.
+Quote Post
dabigboss
post Mar 5 2019, 06:20 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 797

wow, they look good mate!

--------------------
QUOTE(J.D.Entropy @ Aug 8 2016, 10:30 PM) *

one man's trash is another mans gangbang
+Quote Post
Blackhearts Reaver
post Mar 8 2019, 09:55 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 446

Black plate mail always looks better than bright gold. smile.gif

--------------------
Run local tourneys, Make terrain. 75,000+ pts...Play 1-3 games a week...(40K,BFG,BB,FoW).
Good Trader +149 .....QLD Masters: 1st/14(Tau), 1st/12(Daemons), 4th/15(Daemons), 1st/16(Orks), 2nd/15? (IG), 6th/22(Eldar).
AUS ranking=briefly No.1. :) ATC2011=QLD team ChampionsATC2012=QLD 5th
Retired from Competitive play sometime early? 2013

Try to be positive and help... not negative and tear things down.

"I passionately believe that's it's not just what you say that counts, it's also how you say it - that the success of your argument critically depends on your manner of presenting it." Alain de Botton
+Quote Post
Mango
post Mar 9 2019, 07:59 PM
Post #6

Thanks guys, save the gold for 40k, AoS needs more tarnished silver smile.gif

So.....lets talk about distractions lol

I have been looking for an adventure game to play with the kids and stumbled upon Star Saga, the rules are quite simple and easy to make adventures and play a basic game. Coincidently a store had the box set for 1/2 price and so I bought a copy which arrived friday. I painted 4 scientists, some deadzone scatter terrain and a DZ sniper I had undercoated a few years ago just to get it finished.

IPB Image
+Quote Post
Mango
post Mar 16 2019, 03:47 PM
Post #7

Well, so much for painting more due to not having a job.

My old boss from last year called and said that one of their employees quit suddenly and needed a hand and so I am now employed again, at least in the short term smile.gif

I have however been able to stay distracted with Star Saga and painted a few more models.

I was a bit stuck on Wrath (the greeen guy), my son wanted him painted scorpion green which is a very thin and weak paint. Once I painted him, gave it a wash and a drybrush I was a bit stuck on what other colours to use. I thought about red but I didnt want him to look like a xmas decoration so i went with the black cloak, some silver armour trip and the gold faceplate. Unfortunately the face is very devoid of detail so i went with the wide red eyes that make him look a bit owlish and helps enhance the alien feel.

IPB Image

I pulled out my camera too, I was getting sick of the blueish background that the tablet was giving

This post has been edited by Mango: Mar 16 2019, 03:47 PM
+Quote Post
D_Arquebus
post Mar 18 2019, 06:15 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 10,027

Solid progress towards your annual goal mate! Well done! smile.gif

--------------------
Ausbowl - The FB home of Oz Blood Bowl
NZ BB Community THe FB home of NZ Blood Bowl
thenaf.net - Home of the NAF (Worldwide Blood Bowl Community)
+Quote Post
Fluffy05
post May 27 2019, 09:38 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 2,327

Nicely done!

--------------------
'The German today is like the June Bride; he knows he is going to get it, but he doesn't know how big it is going to be.' - Gen. Richard "Windy" Gale, 6th Airborne Division Commander

My Miniature Painting & Wargaming Crusade!

Currently playing:

Kings of War: Elves, Kingdoms of Men, Dwarves

Napoleonics (Black Powder Rules): British, Austrians
Ancients: (Hail Caesar Rules) Celts, Romans - Early Imperial and Republican
Flames of War: British Paras, British Armoured LW, US Rifles, US Paras, US Armoured, Germans Panzergrenadiers
SAGA: Normans
Hordes: Circle

Working on:

Deadzone: Starter boxed set plus extra factions & terrain
warpath: Watch this space :)
+Quote Post
Mango
post Aug 23 2019, 02:03 PM
Post #10

Well......what have I been up to?

wow, havent posted since March

Since then I have bashed the xbox a fair bit but recently got back into painting (YAY!)

I have also been playing a heap of games.......with my kids but no wargames sad.gif. We have been playing Zombicide, memoir 44, ticket to ride new york, gonuts for donuts, santorini and a couple of others. So I have been getting a heap of board game action but no real wargame action.

What have I been painting?

As usual a mix of stuff. I recently bought the board game Arcadia Quest and started painting some of the chibi minis and I really have been enjoying painting those large headed suckers. I also started thinking about 2nd ed 40k and painted a squad of Chaos marines (red corsairs mix of chaos and modern marines), I also accidently painted a D&D berserker.

The chibi models were good fun, looking at utube videos for eye styles etc and because each model is unique they arnt getting boring (yet)
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

The berserker I accidently painted. It came undercoated and I didnt like the model so I chose to test one of the new contract flesh paints on it and then I tested a blue highlighting and then tested some leather and before I knew it it was basically painted.
IPB Image

The red corsairs I trialled the blood angels red contrast paint and it wokred great.....but by the end when I was realy to varnish I did notice that on some of the models on the helmet and backpack my occasional holding had rubbed the paint off of the edges a little. I do use a handle so they went touched often but even just a little here and there rubbed it off. Easy to touch up but some have suggested a light varnish after using a full body contrast to help seal in that paint.
IPB Image

Currently on the table is another squad of Liberators for AoS which will take me up to around 940 points.

Also I did eventually get off my arse the other day and made myself a wet pallette (about $3 in materials) to see if it was any good. And yes, it made alot of painting and highlighting alot easier rather than painting out of a bottle like I have been doing since the 80's. I still have to learn how much paint to actually put on the pallete so im not wasting any but learning new tricks is good for the mind smile.gif

This post has been edited by Mango: Aug 23 2019, 02:07 PM
+Quote Post
Mango
post Aug 31 2019, 03:01 PM
Post #11

This stay at home dad routine gives you alot of time to paint smile.gif

Finished 2 more squads of Sigamrites. 3rd squad of Liberators and a squad of hurricane xbows converted from castigators just by replacing the end of the bow with the extra xbow kits left over from making longstrikes.

IPB Image
IPB Image

So that bring me to over 1000pts of stormcast and I am trying to hook up some games.

What next to paint? Not sure, in the interim I designed some cards to help with learning AoS spells and abilities
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Fluffy05
post Aug 31 2019, 03:23 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 2,327

Great conversion!

Wish I had thought of it! Really nice colour scheme as well.

The spell cards remind me of the old WHFB spell cards. Awesome!

--------------------
'The German today is like the June Bride; he knows he is going to get it, but he doesn't know how big it is going to be.' - Gen. Richard "Windy" Gale, 6th Airborne Division Commander

My Miniature Painting & Wargaming Crusade!

Currently playing:

Kings of War: Elves, Kingdoms of Men, Dwarves

Napoleonics (Black Powder Rules): British, Austrians
Ancients: (Hail Caesar Rules) Celts, Romans - Early Imperial and Republican
Flames of War: British Paras, British Armoured LW, US Rifles, US Paras, US Armoured, Germans Panzergrenadiers
SAGA: Normans
Hordes: Circle

Working on:

Deadzone: Starter boxed set plus extra factions & terrain
warpath: Watch this space :)
+Quote Post
Mango
post Sep 4 2019, 02:46 PM
Post #13

Thanks fluffy, feel free to steal the idea!

Next I painted these undead half ogre guys from a boardgame to try out the nurgle contrast paint (they are on 40mm bases for scale reference)
IPB Image

and I finished the 2nd squad for the Black Corsairs 2nd ed 40k army
IPB Image

Next I have decided to paint another ballista for A0S and I am going to use a ravenwing biker for a chaos lord to lead the Black corsairs.

Oh and I have an AoS game planned for Sunday, hopefully 1 of many smile.gif
+Quote Post
Mango
post Sep 10 2019, 01:55 PM
Post #14

Busy Busy Busy

First off.....there back! (more to come later)
IPB Image

Second, I played a game YAY! 1000 point AoS, narrow loss, made some mistakes, make some silly moves to confirm what I thought and forgot a few rules which would have changed the game.

BUT I had alot of fun which was good.
IPB Image

What else have I been doing?
Well, I have been whittling down the collection and selling things that I just dont want to commit further resources too (time/effort/money)

So in the past couple of weeks I have gotten rid off:
Eldar - so no more teptation to redo my 3rd ed eldar army
Lizardmen - cleaned the decks of these except for 1 type of model to use as something else
Battletech - broke my rule about never selling painted models, Im never going to play it and so it was just taking up space.

So I have freed myself of some models and 1 game entirely, its good progress but more to come. smile.gif

And thats about it apart from this
IPB Image

What is it?

Well 12 years ago, yes in 2007 I started a budget nurgle army (and a modelling diary). At the time the only plaguebearers available were metal and very expensive so I came up with my own version of plaguebearers and painted up 24 of them as well as some other elements too but it fizzled out with an edition change.
IPB Image

Did they ever see a single game? No, they wallowed in the collection for 12 years but now with my excitement of AoS I am going to do a 1000 point nurgle army and I have built and painted 6 more for a 30 strong unit.

Here are the new 6 with 3 custom standards. I unfortunetaly forgot to convert a champion and I might convert some pipers as well but for now I am concentrating on rebasing the old models onto 32mm.

The new 6
IPB Image
Current rebased
IPB Image

What next?
A) looking at a couple of different characters for stormcast to have a better 1000point army plus a unit of Aetherwings.
B) possibly look at expanding the stormcast to 1500
C) Convert some Blightkings from left over stormcast models
D) Look at getting some marine CCw arms to make a 3rd squad for 2nd ed 40k. This time I am thinking either Dark angels or Imp fist colours.
+Quote Post
Mango
post Sep 13 2019, 01:00 PM
Post #15

I have converted up some Blightkings and here is my 1st attempt.

Painting battle damage etc is something I have never really done, I prefer to let washes and drybrushes handle simple weathering but after watching some good youtube videos I have been giving rust and damage more of a go especially on this model.

Im not sure if it all 'fits' together, if the weapons are too rusted for the body armour or not but still trying to get it all together cohesively.

I am going to buy some gw nurgle pus paint and dab some on his mouth for a bit of extra goop but apart from that I am pretty happy with the result.

IPB Image

McFly was converted using old chaos warrior body and legs, spawn head and beastman arms. I put him on some ruins to give him some height as the blight kings are more stormcast height otherwise he would be a little small.

I do like the way he seems more aggressive in his pose vs your typical nurgle posing.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2019 - 12:02 AM