Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Naval wargaming, Mostly WW2 but also including Napoleonic and Brown water stuff
b20f08
post Aug 17 2018, 11:46 PM
Post #1

Ten Guitars
Group Icon

Group: Support Veteran
Member No.: 6,935

Been hanging out for some naval gaming for some time now; working on a few personal projects. But time and other activities have jump in the way. Anyway, here's a continuation of the light-hearted Nap game using the beer-and-pretzel game Kiss Me Hardy by Too Fat Lardies. Not serious Age of Sails stuff but it does generate its own flavour, especially in-between gaming with others in the circle. Batrep started a couple of days (latest posted under the Canvas Eagle heading) in its entirety.

===========================================================
My son and his son (my grandson) came round to visit today. He’s a growing boy, my grandson, a taller version from when I last saw him. While I was awaiting their august arrival, I resumed my abandoned KMH game. And it surprised me by getting interesting very quickly. But then they turned up and the rest of the day was taken up by their visit, an offer to proofread someone’s manuscript, and collecting one of our dogs going in for his regular checkup (somehow I kept thinking auto mechanic and a tuneup; that’s what happened to our chipper springer Sam). To top it off, I hadn’t been to bed yet: when doing all-nighters, I tend to take naps throughout the day to compensate. It wasn’t until late afternoon that I finally hit the sack. Didn’t wake up until now (it’s past eleven at the moment).

Anyway!…the game was now becoming very interesting. Wind changed early into the resumption saw it turn from roughly south east to due south now. This enabled the French-Spanish (henceforth known as Allied) to speed up aiding their cause as they raced to turn around Barbara island and then attack the English from the rear.
================================================================
IPB Image
The general layout of the Four Sisters island grouping. Not quite Galapagos island but it does contain seabird colonies of sorts.

IPB Image
Wind direction at start of resumption.

IPB Image
New wind course (southerly) and the Allies (the French-Spanish) takes full advantage of it.

IPB Image
The English race up to seal the opening between Barbara and Consuelo islands...

IPB Image
...and execute their own version of a "Nelson at Trafalgar".

IPB Image
But the Allies aren't biting. They have their own agenda.

IPB Image
But they begin with some long range firing at the forward half of the English van.

IPB Image
The English wear the firing with typical English aplomb...and a stiff tot of navy rum!

IPB Image
And duly repay the salutations from their opponents with a broadcast of their very own. For merry old England. God save the King!
==========================================================
This is where I left the game as my guests arrived. I meant to finish it tonight but instead I’ll leave it for the daytime as the photos do look better in natural lighting.

--------------------
"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing!" for Spike Milligan & Dave Chapelle & Charles Bukowski
"Life without regrets is no life at all" Yip Man
"If you lack technique you lose the freedom to create" Paco de Lucia
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
b20f08
post Aug 19 2018, 10:58 PM
Post #2

Ten Guitars
Group Icon

Action of Barbara Island

Finished off the game first started, abandoned, then picked up days later only to be abandoned again before finally finished off late yesterday arvo. Done in photo captioned format with a few running comments. Cheers.
===================================================
IPB Image
Last episode: The English attempted a full "Nelson" but the Allies cottoned on to their effort real fast and slipped past. In so doing, they left a reply (above). Revenge, one of the English 74-guns, copped a fair bit of damage and lost some speed. Now to the current episode...

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

The sun is beginning to set in the west. But the battles rages on in next post. Cheers.

--------------------
"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing!" for Spike Milligan & Dave Chapelle & Charles Bukowski
+Quote Post
b20f08
post Aug 19 2018, 11:05 PM
Post #3

Ten Guitars
Group Icon

Action off Barbara Island - Part Two

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

==========================================================
Game began slowly as I was reacquainting myself with this ruleset which I hadn’t played in over two years. I was definitely rusty to start off with. Around Turn 6 or 7, I settled into a routine. Some cause for complaints include:

(1) Mandatory card Test for Steering Damage in starting deck. But nowhere in the rules does it explain how to conduct the test. There is something in the Special Damages page but that’s run in conjunction with Firing. On its own, there’s nothing to say how to initiate it!
(2) Other mandatory cards, Test for Strike and Test for Fire. Really? At the start of a game? Sailing along merrily and oh, you draw either of these two cards?

Apart from those niggling complaints, I managed to “nut out” the rest of the problems. It was largely unfamiliarity and therefore renewing vacant skills from first endeavours (ship pun intended).

Overall, it was enjoyable as a solo experience. Once I got involved in the game flow, it sailed along quite nicely (yes, claim that pun too!). I am keen to try several more small actions. It would definitely make a fun one-on-one game. But finding an opponent is never a solo gamer’s priority. If it happens, it happens!

================================================
Ships are by Old Glory (their Battle of Trafalgar boxed set containing all the ships from the famous battle)

Scale is 1:2400

Rules Kiss Me Hardy by Nick Skinner. Published by Too Fat Lardies (UK). Obtainable online as a PDF. Not sure if you can get it hard copy; expect you can. Cheers! armata_PDT_34.gif

This post has been edited by b20f08: Aug 20 2018, 01:38 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
b20f08
post Aug 20 2018, 01:38 AM
Post #4

Ten Guitars
Group Icon

Next naval batrep: Whenever. Probably WW2 using 1:3000 ships. Possibly Pacific theatre (IJN Battle group vs US carrier strike force). Rules: General Quarters III (works well in the Pacific theatre). Cheers.

--------------------
+Quote Post
b20f08
post Sep 2 2018, 03:37 PM
Post #5

Ten Guitars
Group Icon

Pleasant Nap naval game of KMH played solo. Seems I'm not the only one who games these rules solo as it does lend itself well. Highlights include ships colliding with one another, boarding parties, and raking firing. The rules said not to be generous with raking fires angles; I agree. Raking another vessel is deadly. Oh, and the English capturing a prize (Bellerophon took on the frenchman Formidable and won!)

KMH batrep

--------------------
+Quote Post
D_Arquebus
post Sep 7 2018, 01:53 AM
Post #6

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 10,027

Looks like fun! Thanks for sharing... smile.gif Almost didn't find it down here.

What sort of investment for those ships? And the rules for that matter?

Beer and Pretzels sounds like my cup of tea if your Batreps are indicative of the games smile.gif . DO you have experience with more 'serious business' Age of Sail games, and if so do they just bog down into more micromanagement of vessels?

Cheers smile.gif

--------------------
ausbowl.com - The home of Australian Blood Bowl
theendzone.co- The burgeoning home of New Zealand Blood Bowl
thenaf.net - Home of the NAF (Worldwide Blood Bowl Community)
+Quote Post
b20f08
post Sep 7 2018, 07:43 AM
Post #7

Ten Guitars
Group Icon

Wow. Didn't realise others read this sub-forum page. biggrin.gif

Rules - Kiss Me Hardy The guys at TFL believe gaming should be fun. And their rules are very much lightweight from my use of them. KMH is specifically targetting those casual beer-and-pretzel sessions. And yet they offer enough variation such as boarding parties, ship to shore battery fire, landings parties (raids on forts, etc), fireships, fire ketches and small boat actions (for those sneaky attacks in the dead of night in the harbour. I've soon learned that raking is deadly. Rapid!

Ships - Bought my 1:2400 from Old Glory many years ago when they were offering these as a group discount. Out of curiosity I had a look last week; glad I bought them when I did as they list every rater that was at Trafalgar. However, you can start with just a few ships - I'd recommend ten ships (five either side) is sufficient. Scale is up to you. Most prefer 1:1200 because the detail and scale are affordable and eye-appealing. Local retailers: Essex Miniatures (Aust) based in Sydney should be convenient. Mind you, Langton Miniatures require assembly. But they're worth the effort. Check out Lextheimpaler's modelling diaries for his shipwork.

No, I haven't gone "serious" within the Age of Sails because I am already involved with the WW2 period where I use two in-depth rules, General Quarters v3, and Stations Manned and Ready (v1.2) and 1:3000 ships. I hadn't considered similar rules for AoS although I do have Langton's Tiller and Whiplash but haven't used them as I need to collect some more beautifully detailed Langton ships. The ones I own are still unassembled.

This post has been edited by b20f08: Sep 7 2018, 07:58 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th June 2019 - 11:09 PM