> Dauthus IX 2014, Adelaide's Premier 40k Tournament
deadmuppet
post Dec 5 2013, 09:29 AM
Post #41

Group Icon

Group: WargamerAU Sponsor
Member No.: 9,334

Or u can split a tournment up.

One side can be people who play to enjoy the game have good games roll some dice and talk ####. The other side with all the people who just want to win at all costs. Just because gw brings out rules that change the game it doesnt mean u have to play/abuse combos. If u want to do that then play a friendly game with ur mate. Do u feel u need to do that to win just because someone else is going to? If thats the case then its the core group with the problem not the rules. Just because something is non comp it doesnt mean u have u be a dick? Or does it? With 6th edd came alot of non comp and tournments have droped in half with numbers.... I wonder why.

This post has been edited by deadmuppet: Dec 5 2013, 09:31 AM

--------------------
Above the tabletop, commission based painting service based in Adelaide SA.

www.abovethetabletop.com
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
cool_conoly
post Dec 5 2013, 12:53 PM
Post #42

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 10,698

QUOTE(deadmuppet @ Dec 5 2013, 09:59 AM) *

One side can be people who play to enjoy the game have good games roll some dice and talk ####. The other side with all the people who just want to win at all costs. Just because gw brings out rules that change the game it doesnt mean u have to play/abuse combos. If u want to do that then play a friendly game with ur mate. Do u feel u need to do that to win just because someone else is going to? If thats the case then its the core group with the problem not the rules. Just because something is non comp it doesnt mean u have u be a dick? Or does it? With 6th edd came alot of non comp and tournments have droped in half with numbers.... I wonder why.

No 5th ed had just as many no comp events. Its 6th overall thats reduced numbers.

im going to back Simon here, there is too much being regurgitated out atm in the form of digital only and it will create issues down the track.

Restrictions are not a good thing, on that I agree. But simon isnt saying you cant take tau allies. What hes sayibg is you have to follow the 40k rulebook to get those allies, not a digital only download that says you can field tau without having to field an allied detachment.

In the end your normal Ks player isnt going to care whether he can field the tau firebase, and TBH *most* competitive gamers that ive spoken too about these dataslates feel that just like FW they are things that a TO can and should be able to make a decision on whether to allow

--------------------
Long live Pony Boy!
+Quote Post
Monkey
post Dec 5 2013, 12:56 PM
Post #43

Damned Dirty Ape

Member No.: 375

5th had a better environment though, Adam.

--------------------
Pwner of Ponies.
+Quote Post
4ndi
post Dec 5 2013, 01:25 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 13,579

QUOTE(deadmuppet @ Dec 5 2013, 08:59 AM) *

Whats the average attendance numbers for a wh40k tournament in SA? 15-20? I think that wouldn't work so well.
Than again who decides what is fun...

I am on Simon's site on this one, normal alias/codex as per rulebook, which excludes small stuff like dataslides, escalation etc.

I would go further and think about a tournament with no alias, no spaming of non Infantry models allowed, no single models above 150pts allowed, etc.
I think that help older Codex a lot and might help to get more Ppl to a tournament.

--------------------
Papa nurgle wants you!
+Quote Post
deadmuppet
post Dec 5 2013, 01:38 PM
Post #45

Group Icon

QUOTE(4ndi @ Dec 5 2013, 01:25 PM) *

Whats the average attendance numbers for a wh40k tournament in SA? 15-20? I think that wouldn't work so well.

that was more of a statement over a recommendation.

and who decides what is fun...

umm you do.

their are things in the rules that dont need to be used in a tournament. I hate using mysterious objectives for eg. in most player backs u don't see them being used. because their stupid.

on a happy note im keen to play a 2k game as i have never played one before.

--------------------

www.abovethetabletop.com
+Quote Post
4ndi
post Dec 5 2013, 04:13 PM
Post #46

Member No.: 13,579

Come to my place if u wanna lay a 2k earlier tongue.gif

--------------------
Papa nurgle wants you!
+Quote Post
deadmuppet
post Dec 5 2013, 04:45 PM
Post #47

Group Icon

nah that's alright i would prefer a challange tongue.gif

i prob can thursday night if ur keen?

--------------------

www.abovethetabletop.com
+Quote Post
Paddlepop Lion
post Dec 5 2013, 08:09 PM
Post #48

Member No.: 9,971

Im interested.
+Quote Post
Charlie_W
post Dec 5 2013, 08:35 PM
Post #49

Member No.: 10,688

I think that resistance to digital content will ultimately prove futile, and foolish in retrospect. It's 2013 guys, the fact that paper publication is still considered the default medium in this hobby is amazeballs tongue.gif

I do recognise the difficulty for a TO to check lists these days, but I think the answer to that issue is peer review not restrictions. Everyone submits lists, TO publishes them all, players collectively scrutinise. Any list errors will be found and flagged pretty quickly I think...

As for people playing to win versus playing for lolz (and I don't think the two are actually mutually exclusive) this is an attitude thing not a rules thing. History should have taught us by now that Comp, restrictions, and soft scoring does not reduce competitive drive or the occasional bad behaviour. Different players play for different reasons, and players need to accept that diversity if they want to play in an environment where they do not choose their opponent (i.e. a tournament).

--------------------
+Quote Post
barit
post Dec 6 2013, 08:32 PM
Post #50

Member No.: 11,846

So after having a gander at the escalation book, really anyone dumping that many points into a single unit is really taking a gamble. I dont see them being an issue at any points range.

There is also a new warlord chart that opponents can roll on when they are facing an apoc sized creature/walker/vehicle that is pretty nifty. Also every damage point you do to a super heavy counts as a VP in all game types.

Simon, your event mate so set restrictions as you like - there is always those who will be on the latest power build but its a tournament, dice can roll badly and your units count for much less than you planned for so at the end of the day it really doesnt matter all that much.

I would love to see the return of more people, was it 2 years ago that there was 50 or so at Dauthus? Would be great to see that again.

--------------------
Touching you, touching me.
+Quote Post
Behemoth
post Dec 7 2013, 11:22 AM
Post #51

Member No.: 5,394

Updated players pack to say only hard copy codices and supplements allowed.

I understand some will not like and others who will. I can't please everyone so ultimately I have to go with what I think will work best. 40k is just turning into a silly version of apoc so I would prefer to keep things as simple as possible.

46 is the best Dauthus has done and one day I would really like it to hit the fifty mark but I think that is a longs way off now.

Anyway, I have just finished painting a new table (my personal home table not the clubs) and just have a bit more work on the scenery. Then I have a city/ruins one to paint.

IPB Image
+Quote Post
CAPT DAMAGE
post Dec 7 2013, 11:59 AM
Post #52

Member No.: 5,340

QUOTE(Behemoth @ Dec 7 2013, 11:52 AM) *

IPB Image

Nice smile.gif

I am a 50/50 chance to be there too.

This post has been edited by CAPT DAMAGE: Dec 7 2013, 12:00 PM

--------------------
Get Drunk, Get Lost, Have a Great Time
+Quote Post
zero
post Dec 7 2013, 12:15 PM
Post #53

Member No.: 1,038

QUOTE(Charlie_W @ Dec 4 2013, 07:47 PM) *

Restrictions are a deterrent to attendance.

Pft, who would not come to Dauthus because they cant take the latest powerbuild?
Name one person Charles, and then, name one person who cares if this person does not turn up!

The real question here is; will it have a liquor licence?
Restrictions on beer are a deterrent to attendance.
I mean, Simon tried to ban beer at the last GN event, but I still turned up.

Simon can run the event how he wishes.
I will be there.
Probably with beer again.

--------------------
Hello Me, It's Me Again!
+Quote Post
Behemoth
post Dec 7 2013, 12:57 PM
Post #54

There will be a liquor license. armata_PDT_37.gif
+Quote Post
deadmuppet
post Dec 7 2013, 02:30 PM
Post #55

Group Icon

QUOTE(zero @ Dec 7 2013, 12:15 PM) *

Pft, who would not come to Dauthus because they cant take the latest powerbuild?
Name one person Charles, and then, name one person who cares if this person does not turn up!

armata_PDT_37.gif

--------------------

www.abovethetabletop.com
+Quote Post
Charlie_W
post Dec 7 2013, 02:43 PM
Post #56

It's not about power builds at all. You can build very powerful lists from the basic codexes alone. So these restrictions do nothing for "balance". They just reduce diversity.

Last Dauthus there was some one who left the tournament due to a list restriction, so it does happen.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Behemoth
post Dec 7 2013, 03:03 PM
Post #57

QUOTE(Charlie_W @ Dec 7 2013, 03:43 PM) *

Last Dauthus there was some one who left the tournament due to a list restriction, so it does happen.

Without naming names.

It was no comp with 2 FoC and allowed Forgeworld. One person brought a list that didn't meet these broad allowances and didn't give me their list until on the day. So I said no to them being able to play (they were offered to do a quick rewrite but unfortunately did not have the extra models required. I consulted with you on this Charles so you know that example doesn't quite fits what we are debating now.

I had a lot more feedback that people didn't play because it allowed Forgeworld and people also said they didn't like 2 FoC. If many people didn't like those 2 things then it would follow they are not going to like all the new things.

It's not about power lists because you are correct that even with the restrictions a power list can still be made. What it is about is making 40k a bit more about what I think 40k should be and toning down the craziness just a little because the diversity in a list is getting out of control.

Space Marines are supposed to kill all xenos and now they can have what is it 3, 4 or 5 different types of armies in a list. That's just GW accountants over ruling the game designers.
+Quote Post
cool_conoly
post Dec 7 2013, 03:43 PM
Post #58

Member No.: 10,698

Into more important things! I think its really important the balance of terrain is correct. I feel since 6th ed has come in i think our biggest issue has been a lack of LoS blocking terrain. I think this is something that if done correctly can go along way to bridging the gap between shooting and assualt armies.

--------------------
Long live Pony Boy!
+Quote Post
CAPT DAMAGE
post Dec 7 2013, 04:05 PM
Post #59

Member No.: 5,340

QUOTE(Behemoth @ Dec 7 2013, 01:27 PM) *

There will be a liquor license. armata_PDT_37.gif

smile.gif

--------------------
Get Drunk, Get Lost, Have a Great Time
+Quote Post
Charlie_W
post Dec 7 2013, 05:30 PM
Post #60

Yeah Simon I know there was more to that one story which is why I didn't go into detail, but it is an illustration that restrictions can deter attendance. I realise that other things like IA can also deter attendance, so ultimately it remains a case of "you can't please everyone". You need to make the call on how you run your event, no argument there, but I don't think restrictions will improve numbers or improve balance, which were your aims.

Remember that with"hard copy books" only and no double FOC you can still run five Riptides or four Helldrakes...

--------------------
+Quote Post

24 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th March 2019 - 08:28 PM