Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2000 points Space wolves, A return to 40k
Frullet
post Dec 7 2017, 11:20 PM
Post #1

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 9,470

So I've been out of 40k for about the last 5 years or so, since the release of 6th edition. I dabbled in 6th with the release of a couple of models but never really played. As I paint miniatures commission I'm currently in the process of painting 10,000 points of Eldar for a friend I have found myself being holed back into the hobby (if only to see the Army I've painted on the other side of the table).

The mate I am painting for is a fairly compeditive player and after one game (substituting a fair few models) I discovered the horrors and brokenness of the Alfa-strike style of play. I've been playing Bolt Action for the last 2-3 years and the change back to turn by turn game play has been very jarring to say the least.

I still have a very small collection of Space Wolves and so with the "Start Collecting" boxes I figured a couple of them might help point me in the right direction to build an 8th ed army. I have already ordered 2 and just waiting for delivery however all my research seems to say that razor spam is the only way to go with the Space Puppies at the moment.

As such I have come up with the below list... Please let me know what you think. Thanks in advance.

Space Wolves 2,000 points

HQ 436 points (22%)

Harald Deathwolf (188)
Glacius; bolt pistol; frag grenades; krak grenades; Icetooth (crushing teeth and claws

Bjorn the Fell-Handed (248)
Trueclaw (heavy flamer); assault cannon

Troops 337 points (17%)

4 Grey Hunters (114)
boltguns; bolt pistols; frag grenades; krak grenades; 4× chainsword; plasma gun; plasma pistol
Grey Hunter Pack Leader
boltgun; bolt pistol; frag grenades; krak grenades; chainsword
Wolf Guard Pack Leader
storm bolter; wolf claw; frag grenades; krak grenades

4 Grey Hunters (105)
boltguns; bolt pistols; frag grenades; krak grenades; 4× chainsword; plasma gun
Grey Hunter Pack Leader
Wolf Guard Pack Leader
storm bolter; frost sword; frag grenades; krak grenades

4 Grey Hunters (118)
boltguns; bolt pistols; frag grenades; krak grenades; 4× chainsword; plasma gun
Grey Hunter Pack Leader
Wolf Guard Pack Leader
storm bolter; power fist; frag grenades; krak grenades

Elites 250 points (12%)

4 Wulfen (250)
2× Wulfen claws; frost claws; thunder hammer & storm shield
Wulfen Pack Leader
thunder hammer & storm shield

Fast Attack 345 points (17%)

2 Thunderwolf Cavalry (165)
2× wolf claw; 2× boltgun; frag grenades; krak grenades; Thunderwolves
Thunderwolf Cavalry Pack Leader
frost sword; storm shield; frag grenades; krak grenades

2 Thunderwolf Cavalry (180)
2× power axe; 2× storm shield; frag grenades; krak grenades; Thunderwolves
Thunderwolf Cavalry Pack Leader
thunder hammer; storm shield; frag grenades; krak grenades

Heavy Support 227 points (11%)

4 Long Fangs (227)
3× missile launcher; plasma cannon; bolt pistols; frag grenades; krak grenades
Long Fang Pack Leader
boltgun; bolt pistol; chainsword; frag grenades; krak grenades
• Wolf Guard Pack Leader in Terminator Armour
power sword; assault cannon
Crux Terminatus

Dedicated Transport 405 points (20%)

Razorback (100)
twin assault cannon

Razorback (100)
twin assault cannon

Razorback (100)
twin assault cannon

Drop Pod (105)
storm bolter

Rough idea would be Harold doing his thing with the Wulfen drop poding in for a little bit of alfa-strike action. The grey hunters would hold back with Bjorn and the long fangs with a unit of Thunderwolf flanking each side. Not sure if it will work....

--------------------
Looking for plastic unassembled catachans if anyone can help

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination.[url=
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Blackhearts Reaver
post Dec 8 2017, 11:58 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 446

if you are trying to stop alpha strike you best bet is to have a few chaff units to push back the 9" from the rest of your good stuff.
-Wolf packs or allied AM....

Change the longfang single to a lascannon.

with the list you are running I would suggest you drop the Bjorn and change it to Logan for full Rerolls. Loose 1 AC , h2h is a little less but the force multiplier will be worth it with the units you are running.

I think you will find 2x3 Cav will have less impact than you think. 2x9 wounds will get gobbled up in 1 turn even with a SS or 2 in the unit. any time they threaten something. I would be keeping them cheap and they are pretty much just extra wds for Harold. (1 SS, 1 PP, 1x Fr Sw+PP ). Fr Swords are better than Fr axes. Str5 is where you want to get (or Str8-9). the Str5 -3 of the sword is better than str6 -2 of the axe.

PP gets to shoot in the shooting phase so may cause a casualty before you get attacked from units picked before you (in 2nd fight phases onwards). Rather than Wolf claws all attacks in the fight phase. Every so often the PP will also be helpful when you have things like flyers/ vehicles left on 1 wd (you don't want to waste and assault on)/ and overcharging for 2 damage in desperate situations.

Whichever unit is going in the droppod spend the points to add the combi. (PG+PP+ WG combi plas maybe add FrSw) If you can rejig the list (ie still chasing battalion 2HQ 3TR) it would require some definate rethinks but you could concider 5 WG+ combi PG or Combi Melta with JP's (for 25pts) instead of the pod.

This post has been edited by Blackhearts Reaver: Dec 8 2017, 12:14 PM

--------------------
Run local tourneys, Make terrain. 75,000+ pts...Play 1-3 games a week...(40K,BFG,BB,FoW).
Good Trader +149 .....QLD Masters: 1st/14(Tau), 1st/12(Daemons), 4th/15(Daemons), 1st/16(Orks), 2nd/15? (IG), 6th/22(Eldar).
AUS ranking=briefly No.1. :) ATC2011=QLD team ChampionsATC2012=QLD 5th
Retired from Competitive play sometime early? 2013

Try to be positive and help... not negative and tear things down.

"I passionately believe that's it's not just what you say that counts, it's also how you say it - that the success of your argument critically depends on your manner of presenting it." Alain de Botton
+Quote Post
Frullet
post Dec 8 2017, 12:24 PM
Post #3

Thanks for the feedback.

The idea I was going for was the Wulfen would be in the drop pod to give Harold the reroll for the charge without having to spend a cmd point.

The PC on the long fangs was more to take full advantage of the rerolls of 1's as I can then overcharge almost every turn.

R.E. The thunderwolves.... Do you think that 1 unit is a better option or keep with the two and arm as per your suggestion above?

The idea behind taking Bjorn was more for the extra cmd point and at 248 points he seems to be a bit of a beast. I never really liked Logan and the intent was to have at least some sort of alliance to one of the great companies (I.E. Death wolves)

--------------------

(\__/)
+Quote Post
Blackhearts Reaver
post Dec 8 2017, 05:23 PM
Post #4

With your razor set up reroll everything is going 2-3 more hits per razor a turn (over reroll 1's of bjorn) maybe 20-30 more str6 -1 hits by turn 3 as well as the more reliable long fangs if they are tucked at the back of the 6" aura.

You probably have too few wds if they have alot of AT to hurt the light vehicles. A 4th razor would be better than the pod (concider twin las). In 2000 points concider this If you run into 6 T7 3+ vehicles what have you got to take care of it..... you will be overcharging plasm all game long and it may not be enough. As soon as you squishy little plasma units get out they will die Basically a 1 shot overcharge before death. You will be relying on the enemy MC/vehicles failing alot of 4+ saves from AC that are wounding on 5+... good luck. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Blackhearts Reaver: Dec 8 2017, 05:28 PM

--------------------
Run local tourneys, Make terrain. 75,000+ pts...Play 1-3 games a week...(40K,BFG,BB,FoW).
Good Trader +149 .....QLD Masters: 1st/14(Tau), 1st/12(Daemons), 4th/15(Daemons), 1st/16(Orks), 2nd/15? (IG), 6th/22(Eldar).

"I passionately believe that's it's not just what you say that counts, it's also how you say it - that the success of your argument critically depends on your manner of presenting it." Alain de Botton
+Quote Post
Frullet
post Dec 8 2017, 08:24 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(Blackhearts Reaver @ Dec 8 2017, 05:23 PM) *

You probably have too few wds (?) if they have alot of AT to hurt the light vehicles. A 4th razor would be better than the pod (concider twin las). In 2000 points concider this If you run into 6 T7 3+ vehicles what have you got to take care of it..... you will be overcharging plasm all game long and it may not be enough. As soon as you squishy little plasma units get out they will die Basically a 1 shot overcharge before death. You will be relying on the enemy MC/vehicles failing alot of 4+ saves from AC that are wounding on 5+... good luck. smile.gif

Not sure what above abbreviation means... sad.gif

I do agree with your point and can see where your coming from I think I will resig the list to include Logan based on your advice (Thanks armata_PDT_37.gif )

Would it be a good idea to drop the Wulfen altogether (with the pod) to include a couple of Lasconnon preds or would you go with a maxed 5 Lasconnon long fang squad instead (with another assault cannon termi wolf guard)?

--------------------

(\__/)
+Quote Post
Blackhearts Reaver
post Dec 9 2017, 02:12 AM
Post #6

wounds

If I had a tough list I would murder all the exposed foot troops and then h2h the vehicles with chaff.

This post has been edited by Blackhearts Reaver: Dec 9 2017, 02:12 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th December 2017 - 07:49 PM