> Heresy Legions playtesters pack PDF, 0.8.6 overhaul up on www.epicau.com
fattdex
post Jan 6 2014, 07:29 PM
Post #21

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 1,422

Every unit with legion in front of it!

--------------------
Monday Knights, over a decade of dice, beer and taking trophies. Based in the Hawthorn area check us out at www.mondayknights.org.au

You either die, or live long enough to do naps
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ortron
post Jan 7 2014, 09:21 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 3,061

Dex,

Couple more typos or possible errors in point form:

Unit: Dreadnought
Twin-linking convensions not applied (+1 to hit) in the dreadnought ML stats, suggest you revert to standard ML or boost stats.

Unit: Sicaran Battle tank
Accelerator cannon - should this not be 2x AP4/AT5 rather than how it is currently (2x AT4/AP5).

Unit: Avenger
TL lascannons - think this should be AT4+/AA5+ ??

Unit: Lightning
TL Lascannons - as above
TL AC stats - should this not be Ap4/AT5/AA5 - as per a hydra but with -15cm range?

+Quote Post
fattdex
post Jan 7 2014, 11:45 AM
Post #23

Hi ortron, thanks for the proofing.

Most stats are taken from (such as Avenger and lightning twin lascannons based from the existing epic stats for a lightnings wingtip lascannons- ) or based upon existing units, but some of ye olden units that they come from sometimes just had 'missile launcher' in the weapon profile name (such as the regular epic space marine dreadnought- the 40k model has a twin linked missile launcher, they just call it a missile launcher on the epic profile.) instead of complete weapon name. I've just been updating the proper weapon names as they go along. As a happy accident, it means that the twin linked missile launcher and the cyclone launcher have the same stat, and the twin linked cyclone launcher has the +1 boosted stat, so that's nice.
Don't sweat the small stuff on some of those, I'm not reinventing the wheel, just giving it some tyre polish in most cases.

I'm not trying to invent a load of new weapon stats based on strict formulas for the most part, more using appropriate tried and true weapon lines and in some instances naming them properly. some things don't work as a direct translation like the heavy and support stands, instead of giving them 5x shots per stand it is better to give them 2x more effective shots for example.

the accellerator autocannon I made a convention typo- so instead of 2x AT4+/AP5+ it should be 2x AP5+/AT4+ ;-) I also forgot to add a backslash in the storm bird kheres AC stats. Have made a sneaky typo edit to the pdf, redownload it if you like!

This post has been edited by fattdex: Jan 7 2014, 11:46 AM

--------------------
Monday Knights, over a decade of dice, beer and taking trophies. Based in the Hawthorn area check us out at www.mondayknights.org.au

+Quote Post
ortron
post Jan 7 2014, 01:27 PM
Post #24

QUOTE(fattdex @ Jan 7 2014, 12:45 PM) *

Hi ortron, thanks for the proofing.

Most stats are taken from (such as Avenger and lightning twin lascannons based from the existing epic stats for a lightnings wingtip lascannons- ) or based upon existing units, but some of ye olden units that they come from sometimes just had 'missile launcher' in the weapon profile name (such as the regular epic space marine dreadnought- the 40k model has a twin linked missile launcher, they just call it a missile launcher on the epic profile.) instead of complete weapon name. I've just been updating the proper weapon names as they go along. As a happy accident, it means that the twin linked missile launcher and the cyclone launcher have the same stat, and the twin linked cyclone launcher has the +1 boosted stat, so that's nice.
Don't sweat the small stuff on some of those, I'm not reinventing the wheel, just giving it some tyre polish in most cases.

I'm not trying to invent a load of new weapon stats based on strict formulas for the most part, more using appropriate tried and true weapon lines and in some instances naming them properly. some things don't work as a direct translation like the heavy and support stands, instead of giving them 5x shots per stand it is better to give them 2x more effective shots for example.

the accellerator autocannon I made a convention typo- so instead of 2x AT4+/AP5+ it should be 2x AP5+/AT4+ ;-) I also forgot to add a backslash in the storm bird kheres AC stats. Have made a sneaky typo edit to the pdf, redownload it if you like!

Yeah ok, I was just trying to make them fit within the established stats for a bunch of existing epic weapons/units however looking back at the lightning and lightning strike fighters in the 2012 compendium they seem to have changed the weapons to "wing tip lascannons" to tone down the effectiveness - probably for balance.

But to explain where i was coming from, one of the original design concepts behind this version of epic was that the weapons stats would be consistent across platforms to minimise the confusion that was happening in SM/TL and then NetEpic. For Eg Twin-Linked Lascannons are (almost?) always 45cm AT4+, and on Aircraft, such as on the marauder bomber, they are 45cm AT4/AA4+ FF but they would rarely be used in an AA role due to the fact is a bomber. AA4+ on aircraft capable of intercept is considered uncool by the NetEA rules gurus, so I can see a reason to align these with the lightnings stats and not the marauders.

The standard Auto Cannon is obviously 45cm AP5+/AT6+ and twin linked its AP4+/AT5+, hence comment on your lightning's stats.

Given the accelerator cannon was basically (in 40k stats) 3x more effective than an autocannon and the tank has two in a twin linked config, I originally thought 3x AP4+/AT5+ but i note your reasoning to tone it back to only 2 shots. Just though you might have mixed up the AP and AT values but if you want it the other way around its you list.

As for the dreadnoughts in normal 40k it is just a single ML but FW makes theirs a TL missile launcher in the 30k HH books as a lot of people never use the ML in 40k on dreads, as it is considered underpowered. Anyway I think the stats of AP5+/AT6+ is fine and balanced.

WRT the Cyclone, its probably 45cm AP4+/AT5+ in a direct 40K to epic translation but I've seen it equivalent to a standard ML as well, so that one you probably have the flexibility to go whichever way you want.

As above, not trying to change your list, just thought you might have made some typos.
+Quote Post
fattdex
post Jan 7 2014, 01:42 PM
Post #25

Cool thanks man. The thought behind the accelerator is that it is a bit better as 2x AP5/AT5, in that the 40k weapon also has (from memory) rending etc and six shots, making it more effective as an anti tank weapon than your regular autocannon and more directed as a weapon for pinging armour. The tank is also full of heavy bolters too- they actually have a LOT of ap shots combined, it may end up being valid to lose the side heavy bolters if they prove a bit too hot, and just have the autocannon and hull heavy bolter, as 4 tanks doing 20x ap5 shots at 30cm sounds like too many dice.

This post has been edited by fattdex: Jan 7 2014, 01:43 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
ortron
post Jan 7 2014, 02:22 PM
Post #26

QUOTE(fattdex @ Jan 7 2014, 02:42 PM) *

The tank is also full of heavy bolters too- they actually have a LOT of ap shots combined, it may end up being valid to lose the side heavy bolters if they prove a bit too hot, and just have the autocannon and hull heavy bolter, as 4 tanks doing 20x ap5 shots at 30cm sounds like too many dice.

Yeah that does Sound like a lot of dice... but then it is what it is. Personally I'd perfer to see things costed up or down rather than nerfed stat wise but I guess testing will tell.

In some ways it might be like the IG baneblade and storm hammers. Both have a stack of shots at 30cm but the in game reality was that they were often at negatives to hit for range, doubling etc and AP firepower is often less useful than AT. Still, I wouldn't like to be caught in the open when a squadron of these opened up, especially if I was dumb enough to do it where they could sustain fire.

I think your right on the accelerator cannon in that it is better at chewing up armour than a standard AC. And I think a 2x AP4 or AP5 is probably on the money for its AP capabilities. The extra shots it puts out just cause overkill on the squad its engaging, it would need multiple turrets or independent weapons to claim a higher number of shots.

As a further thought, what about this: Accelerator Cannon 45cm AP3+/AT4+.
So it tones down the bulk number of shots and is therefore less scary on sustained fire or double actions. It is however very good at killing a single squad of infantry and is capable against armour but can't kill multiple tanks/squads in a single lucky burst. I like this as it represents the vehicle chewing up a single target through weight of fire rather than spraying the area with wild bursts
+Quote Post
fattdex
post Jan 7 2014, 03:19 PM
Post #27

QUOTE(ortron @ Jan 7 2014, 03:22 PM) *

Yeah that does Sound like a lot of dice... but then it is what it is. Personally I'd perfer to see things costed up or down rather than nerfed stat wise but I guess testing will tell.

In some ways it might be like the IG baneblade and storm hammers. Both have a stack of shots at 30cm but the in game reality was that they were often at negatives to hit for range, doubling etc and AP firepower is often less useful than AT. Still, I wouldn't like to be caught in the open when a squadron of these opened up, especially if I was dumb enough to do it where they could sustain fire.

I think your right on the accelerator cannon in that it is better at chewing up armour than a standard AC. And I think a 2x AP4 or AP5 is probably on the money for its AP capabilities. The extra shots it puts out just cause overkill on the squad its engaging, it would need multiple turrets or independent weapons to claim a higher number of shots.

As a further thought, what about this: Accelerator Cannon 45cm AP3+/AT4+.
So it tones down the bulk number of shots and is therefore less scary on sustained fire or double actions. It is however very good at killing a single squad of infantry and is capable against armour but can't kill multiple tanks/squads in a single lucky burst. I like this as it represents the vehicle chewing up a single target through weight of fire rather than spraying the area with wild bursts

Yep, it may end up that way.
I haven't built any proxies yet as the model idea I had looked daft when i bunged the bits together, but I will have to get some games in with them later on to try both.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mic Fair
post Jan 9 2014, 12:58 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 8,396

Hey Dex

I am loving the heresy list and am looking forward to my first crack at it with The Big Bash.

I love the idea of the Primarchs being able to go one on one with each other. The problem as I see with primarch on primarch duels is that their hits from an engagement would generally be farmed out to the fodder around them. Should they have sniper to enable them to directly target each other?

Cheers

Mic
+Quote Post
fattdex
post Jan 9 2014, 04:12 PM
Post #29

Hm, that could be abused, I could look into a 'challenge' addition to the demigod rules.

--------------------

+Quote Post
fattdex
post Jan 9 2014, 04:35 PM
Post #30

How about this, use it as a trial addition to the demigod rule:

if two enemy demigods should meet on the battlefield, a glorious challenge will be met. When two formations involved in an engagement both contain demigod units, the attacking player must move their demigod unit into base to base contact with the enenemy demigod unit, or the closest unit to the demigod unit that it can reach, ignoring enemy zones of control. The target players demigod unit must countercharge to engage the opposing players demigod unit or closest unit to the demigod that it an reach, ignoring intervening stands zones of control.
If two demigod units reach base to base contact, all of their attacks must be directed at each other. Attacks from duelling demigod units in base to base contact are resolved against each other first, out of the normal sequence of attacks, before any 'strikes first' attacks. If a demigod unit fails to reach base to base contact with a model, its firefight attacks must be directed at the opposing demigod unit.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mic Fair
post Jan 9 2014, 04:37 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 8,396

Sounds good, a Demi god rule would be better to allow challenges between demigods while limiting further exploitation. I'll leave it in your more than capable hands.

Mic
+Quote Post
fattdex
post Jan 28 2014, 11:50 AM
Post #32

I'm having a lunch break fiddle (oh er)

How do you feel about these new profiles for the aircraft? Recosted at 225 for lightnings and 275 for Avengers (mainly to ease massive unit spamming at 3K, also for upgraded profile)

Based on Cancon convo, using the usual epic list convention for twin lascannons, and trying to make them more attractive to take in a list full of juicy options (as well as making the primaris lightning more interesting, now it is a nice little anti tank strike unit, which is then a good interceptor when the missile rack is empty, and the A-10 has been given a more focused ground attack role away from the lightning)

Imperial Navy Avenger Strike Fighter AC Fighter Bomber 5+ - -
Avenger Cannon 30 cm 2x AP3+/AT5+, FxF
Twin Lascannons 45 cm AT4+/AA4+, FxF
Defence Heavy Stubber 30 cm AA6+, Rear Arc
Bomb Rack 15cm 2BP, FxF

Imperial Navy Primaris-Lightning Strike Fighter AC Fighter 6+ - -
Twin Autocannons 30 cm AP5+/AT6+/AA5+, FxF
Kraken Heavy Missiles 30 cm AT4+, One Shot, FxF

This post has been edited by fattdex: Jan 28 2014, 11:51 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
fattdex
post Jan 28 2014, 08:37 PM
Post #33

I put breacher siege marines+caestus assault
ram into the list as a support formation, would podt here but doing it on phone is too slutty.

Have started a batreps thread on tac comms, if you want to record your games.

http://www.tacticalwargames.net/taccmd/vie...809&start=0

This post has been edited by fattdex: Jan 28 2014, 08:38 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
ortron
post Jan 28 2014, 09:44 PM
Post #34

QUOTE(fattdex @ Jan 28 2014, 12:50 PM) *

I'm having a lunch break fiddle (oh er)

How do you feel about these new profiles for the aircraft? Recosted at 225 for lightnings and 275 for Avengers (mainly to ease massive unit spamming at 3K, also for upgraded profile)

Based on Cancon convo, using the usual epic list convention for twin lascannons, and trying to make them more attractive to take in a list full of juicy options (as well as making the primaris lightning more interesting, now it is a nice little anti tank strike unit, which is then a good interceptor when the missile rack is empty, and the A-10 has been given a more focused ground attack role away from the lightning)

Imperial Navy Avenger Strike Fighter AC Fighter Bomber 5+ - -
Avenger Cannon 30 cm 2x AP3+/AT5+, FxF
Defence Heavy Stubber 30 cm AA6+, Rear Arc
Bomb Rack 15cm 2BP, FxF

Imperial Navy Primaris-Lightning Strike Fighter AC Fighter 6+ - -
Twin Autocannons 30 cm AP5+/AT6+/AA5+, FxF
Kraken Heavy Missiles 30 cm AT4+, One Shot, FxF

Like the fact you've upped the power, again the AA4+ of a fighter bomber will draw the crabs, as will the range but its your list mate. 30cm AT4+/AA5+ should be the min with your stats being the max.

If you dropped the Twin LC down to that above you could up the Twin AC to 30cm, AP4/AT5/AA5 to balance.

Avenger looks the goods, but if you want it to be a ground attack AC consider making it a bomber?

Really looking forward to the seige marines and rams. I think we'll get a couple more games in the coming weeks. Cancon seems to have got the epic interest peaking.
+Quote Post
fattdex
post Jan 28 2014, 11:34 PM
Post #35

The stat for twin lascannons on aircraft being 45cm at4/aa4 after i went and had a search is repeated across quite a few aircraft through the 2013 tournament lists compendium, so I am pretty happy to leave it with that by convention, and haters can hate if haters gonna hate.

Avengers are still a small enough frame to class as fighter bomber and still be able to be used on anti air duty, i reckon they will wash out o.k as fighter bomber

--------------------

+Quote Post
fattdex
post May 15 2014, 12:52 PM
Post #36

Overdue update: Having received my set of trilogy books, I'm going to hammer away a lot of work on this on the weekeend, I'll send that out to the 'internal review team' then I'll get a new draft release for you all which will contain a more or less finalized generic legion list, and the first four other legion lists (salamanders, deathguard, iron warriors, world eaters).

Trickiest part right now is creating rules that work neatly for castellum strongholds, trying out a speed zero war engine transport type of deal.

Cheers

--------------------

+Quote Post
fattdex
post Jun 16 2014, 01:32 PM
Post #37

Ladies, Gents and everyone inbetween,

http://www.filedropper.com/heresylegionplaytestpack081

(Look for the big grey 'Download This File' button!!)

New release of the Heresy Legions playtesters pack has been released.

Changelog as follows (we have been doing a lot of beavering away in the background)

Some new units have been added in 0.8.1 that are not intended to be used in a core legion army list, but should be will be used with a specific named legion (namely two units, Predator Infernus: for this playtest document may be taken in place of Predator Destructors in a Salamanders Legion army; Glaive: may be taken as a squadron of three in place of a Fellblade squadron in an Iron Hands list). Feel free to try this for yourselves.
The first supplement release will contain named legion rules for all of the legions covered in the Isstvan trilogy of books published by Forge World.
Players will be able to choose to build their own Legion army using the core Legion army list, or construct their armies using a named Legion list, which will have a different detachment structure and some special units.
General:
Added Iron Hands and World Eaters Legions Army lists and units
Demigod definition updated
Changed artillery support restrictions
Added Breacher Siege Detachment
Changed Storm Eagle upgrade to Assault Claw upgrade
Storm Eagles changes to aircraft
Changed Sicaran battle tank squadron to 0-6 units
Disrupt added to Neutron Laser
Glaive added to Super Heavy Tank detachment (note: the decision to leave it available as a single tank only in the basic Legion list is deliberate, as other detachment options will be available to specific legion lists.)
Formation character upgrade exceptions added
Changed Heavy Support upgrade
Changed Recon Marines options
Changed Thunderhawk Transporter options
Replaced Avenger with Fire Raptor Gunship
Executioner upgrade changed to Predator Support
Units:
Added Kharybdis Assault Claw
Added Caestus Assault Ram
Added Breacher Siege Marines
Re-Armed Storm Eagle Gunships
Whirlwind Hyperios FF fixed
Changed Sky Hunter jetbikes to LV, slight price drop
Added new weapon profiles to Avenger and Lightning; recosted
Changed Sicaran Battle Tank and Sicaran Venator
Added Fire Raptor Gunships
Added Whirlwind Scorpius
Up-Armoured Legion Medusa
Added Legion Falchion
Reduced range of Lightning Strike Fighter
Changed Contemptor TL Lascannon to TL
Autocannon

This post has been edited by fattdex: Jun 16 2014, 02:12 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
CAL451
post Jun 16 2014, 02:15 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 14,078

Nice mate,

I will get onto a game or two once done with HB this week mate. Geoff has been out of action on course and it's been a slow gaming period. What do you want us to test in the list as a matter or priority?

Cheers
Aaron
+Quote Post
fattdex
post Jun 16 2014, 03:00 PM
Post #39

storm eagle, assault claws, assault rams and breachers- i don't think they are exploitable and you can do a lot of the same with assault marines or terminators in thunderhawks, but they need a good run.

Many things are just fixed up.

Using the new Fire Raptor which has replaced the Avenger (avenger will be used in the mechanicus list later), trying the rebalanced lightnings.

A good iron hands force using the falchion and some predator units with the whirlwind

Running the dreadnought options through- they should be a little more balanced than the last time.

More khornate run throughs, but they seemed to be getting better from your feedback.

Trying out the mechanicus units for iron hands- i gave them a few games, they did well at being fodder and sitting on objectives, which is pretty much what it says on the lid.

Some primarch on primarch action! if ferrus now takes heavy transport, he has a tech priest rule, he has a chance to do some repairs.

--------------------

+Quote Post
CAL451
post Jun 16 2014, 04:15 PM
Post #40

Member No.: 14,078

Mate,

Just drew up an air assault list to get into the Fire Raptor as the first test point. I will kick a 4k game versus someone testing another component of the list. I will email it through to you later on to see what you think. I am keen to get a Primarch in the game, I am yet to test the Red Butchers so I will get Angron on the table Versus Ferrus against Geoff in the near future.

Cheers
Aaron
+Quote Post

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2017 - 04:54 PM