Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 650 & 800pt Wood Elves, Natures Wrath is redonk
Tom
post Jun 8 2014, 08:49 PM
Post #1

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 3,405

So I've decided to get into Hobbit SBG, since my friend plays it quite a bit, and I'm probably going to be going with Wood Elves.

To that end, does anyone have any advice/tips on how to use 'em, or what I should be looking for?

The list I've put together for 650pts so far is:
Warband 1 [176] (9 Warriors)
Thranduil
4 Galadhrim Warriors with Shields
4 Wood Elf Warriors with Bows and Spears
1 Wood Elf Warrior with Elven Blade and Throwing Daggers

Warband 2 [178] (9 Warriors)
Rumil
4 Galadrhim Warriors with Shields
3 Wood Elf Warriors with Spears
1 Wood Elf Warrior with Elven Cloak, Spear and Banner

Warband 3 [148] (8 Warriors)
Galadhim Stormcaller
3 Wood Elf Warriors with Bows and Spears
3 Galadhrim Warriors with Shields
1 Galadhrim Knight with Shield and Elf Bow

Warband 4 [148] (8 Warriors)
Galadhim Stormcaller
3 Wood Elf Warriors with Bows and Spears
3 Galadhrim Warriors with Shields
1 Galadhrim Knight with Shield and Elf Bow

[650/650]
4 Heroes, 34 Warriors

With the idea that Rumil's Warband provides support to Thranduil and the Stormcallers' warbands as needed, and they kite the enemy until I think it's safe to close in, or I can't kite no more.
Natures Wrath is used to keep my dudes alive and extend my damage potential once things start getting stuck in, and Call Winds is there to try to mitigate the problem of stuff like Trolls.
I've also been toying with the idea of using Call Winds to blow models out of formation, and then charging them with the Galadhrim Knights.

At 800pts, the plan is to throw in a Sentinel, add a fourth Galadhrim Warrior and Wood Elf with Bow and Spear to each fo the Stormcallers' Warbands, and swap out the Galadhrim Knights for a pair of Rivendell Knights led by a Rivendell Knight Captain (fluffed as Galadhrim Knights Elite, I guess?)

So, any glaring issues with anything? Any tips or advice?
I'm not religiously stuck on Wood Elves, so I don't mind throwing in a few High Elves or Mirkwood if they'll help. I didn't really feel that Mirkwood Rangers or Palace Guard really brought a lot to the table for their cost, though.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Isilduin
post Jun 9 2014, 11:15 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 8,856

Really nice list. Really, really nice. Solid numbers, Might and bows, strong control magic, a decent combat line. The ability to shield with almost everyone is handy. Yeah, not much else to say. If you're looking at what armies will trouble you, Defense 6 hordes could be a struggle. But that's always been the case for Wood Elves, it will usually come down to positioning and with a forest or two on the board you've got the upper hand.

Whatever you do, don't post this on the Facebook page. Everyone will start thinking up counters lol.

The only thing I'm not sure about is the intended upgrades to 800, I wouldn't worry about the Rivendell Knights, rather max out your current warbands and upgrade troops to Sentinels, Galadhrim Knights or Guard of the Galadhrim Court, as needed. Maybe a second banner.

--------------------
LOTR/Hobbit Awards:
2010: Epic Moment - Heroes of the East Melbourne; 3rd Place - The Silmarilli Melbourne
2011: Best Sportsman - Minimize Melbourne; 2nd Place - Narsil Singles Melbourne; 2nd Place - Heroes of the East Melbourne; Biggest Beat Down - Heroes of the East Melbourne; Best Army - Conflict Melbourne WOTR
2012: 1st Place - Cancon Canberra; 3rd Place - The One Ring Brisbane; The Loremaster - Minimize Melbourne; 1st Place - War-torn Melbourne; 3rd Place - Narsil Singles Sydney; 2nd Place - Supreme Commander Sydney; Best General - Conflict Melbourne; Tardiest Player - Masters of Battle Adelaide
2013: Tolkien Award - Arcanacon Melbourne; 2nd Place - Cavalry Charge Melbourne; The Loremaster - Minimize Melbourne; 3rd Place - War-torn Melbourne; 3rd Place - The Fields of Pelennor Adelaide; 1st Place - 2nd Legion Hobbit Tournament Sunshine Coast
2014: 1st Place - War of Melton Shire Melbourne
+Quote Post
Tom
post Jun 9 2014, 04:55 PM
Post #3

Yeah, D6 Hordes is an issue- maybe I'll try to convert all my Galadhrim to have axes tongue.gif

The Rivendell Knight detachment is in there to provide a fast hunter-killer section with Lances, with the idea that it shores up my problem with things like Trolls.

I take your point about more infantry though- the spam version would probably be:

Warband 1 [219] (12 Warriors)
Thranduil
6 Galadhrim Warriors with Shields
5 Wood Elf Warriors with Bows and Spears
1 Wood Elf Sentinel

Warband 2 [205] (12 Warriors)
Rumil
5 Galadrhim Warriors with Shields
4 Wood Elf Warriors with Spears and Throwing Daggers
2 Wood Elf Warriors with Elven Blade and Throwing Daggers
1 Wood Elf Warrior with Elven Cloak, Spear and Banner

Warband 3 [186] (12 Warriors)
Galadhim Stormcaller
5 Galadhrim Warriors with Shields
1 Galadhrim Knight with Shield

Warband 4 [186] (12 Warriors)
Galadhim Stormcaller
5 Galadhrim Warriors with Shields
1 Galadhrim Knight with Shield

[800/800]
4 Heroes, 48 Warriors

I'm concerned about it's ability to cope with stuff like monsters though, especially given the relative lack of Might at 800pts.
Maybe the extra body count will compensate for it, though.
+Quote Post
Isilduin
post Jun 9 2014, 05:45 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 8,856

Rumil and Thranduil should be able to duke it out with any monster, with 3 Might and elven blades. As a kiting army, monsters shouldn't be a huge concern, it will be about breaking the opponent before they can do any damage. The most damage monsters do is psychologically, they rarely retrieve their points through kills.

That said, Rivendell Knights used in the right manner could be very effective, and the extra couple of Might on a hard-hitting hero wouldn't go amiss.

--------------------
LOTR/Hobbit Awards:
2010: Epic Moment - Heroes of the East Melbourne; 3rd Place - The Silmarilli Melbourne
2011: Best Sportsman - Minimize Melbourne; 2nd Place - Narsil Singles Melbourne; 2nd Place - Heroes of the East Melbourne; Biggest Beat Down - Heroes of the East Melbourne; Best Army - Conflict Melbourne WOTR
2012: 1st Place - Cancon Canberra; 3rd Place - The One Ring Brisbane; The Loremaster - Minimize Melbourne; 1st Place - War-torn Melbourne; 3rd Place - Narsil Singles Sydney; 2nd Place - Supreme Commander Sydney; Best General - Conflict Melbourne; Tardiest Player - Masters of Battle Adelaide
2013: Tolkien Award - Arcanacon Melbourne; 2nd Place - Cavalry Charge Melbourne; The Loremaster - Minimize Melbourne; 3rd Place - War-torn Melbourne; 3rd Place - The Fields of Pelennor Adelaide; 1st Place - 2nd Legion Hobbit Tournament Sunshine Coast
2014: 1st Place - War of Melton Shire Melbourne
+Quote Post
Tom
post Jun 9 2014, 06:29 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(Isilduin @ Jun 9 2014, 05:45 PM) *

The most damage monsters do is psychologically, they rarely retrieve their points through kills.

My friend's troll chieftain went elf bowling last time I played and killed like 90pts worth of my flimsy D3 mans sad.gif

But yeah, he then got hit by a wrath and beaten up, so I take your point.

I'll probably be sticking with 650 for a whiles anyway - at least until this list can be taken proxy-free.

This post has been edited by Tom: Jun 10 2014, 03:58 PM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th July 2020 - 09:00 AM