Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Conan Board Game by Monolith
Honey Starr
post Dec 5 2017, 01:01 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,584

I bought this game ages ago, and it has taken me a long time to get around to painting the miniatures for the game. I recently finished what I need to play the first scenario, called "In The Clutches Of The Picts", which is based on (although not accurately so) the story by REH titled "Beyond the Black River".

Here are some pictures of the miniatures I have finished so far, and also some pictures of the game set up for a solo play run through so I can properly learn the rules before introducing friends to the game.

IPB Image

IPB Image
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mydnight
post Dec 5 2017, 06:38 PM
Post #2

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 5,268

Good job

How would you rate the game
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Maxo_Q
post Dec 5 2017, 06:55 PM
Post #3

Social Vampire
Group Icon

Group: Support Veteran
Member No.: 4,233

Ive played a friends copy and its pretty awesome.

Love the paint jobs on these. I have played that particular missions and we absolutely buggered it right the hell up.
+Quote Post
6d6
post Dec 5 2017, 08:35 PM
Post #4

Boat Person

Member No.: 9,393

Paint job looks sweet. What paint did you use for the basing?

--------------------
Ranked 345th in Australia for Warhammer! Yeah BABEH!
+Quote Post
Mango
post Dec 5 2017, 09:22 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 84

Awesome, they look great!
+Quote Post
Honey Starr
post Dec 5 2017, 11:17 PM
Post #6

Thank you everyone for your kind comments wub.gif

QUOTE(6d6 @ Dec 5 2017, 08:35 PM) *
What paint did you use for the basing?

I used the Games Workshop product called Agrellan Earth. I wanted the bases to look like dried mud or cracked earth as I thought this would look cool for scenarios that took place outdoors, especially so within the Pict village.

QUOTE(Maxo_Q @ Dec 5 2017, 06:55 PM) *
I have played that particular missions and we absolutely buggered it right the hell up.

For this particular scenario, that seems to be a common outcome. A NZ guy is collating scenario results, and of the recorded games for this scenario, currently the overlord wins 72% of them against 3 heroes (243 recorded games) and 50% against 4 heroes (170 recorded games).

https://goo.gl/WrIvbY

QUOTE(mydnight @ Dec 5 2017, 06:38 PM) *
How would you rate the game

I'm probably a little biased, because I really like the character Conan as well as the Hyborian Age setting. Although I've read the rules several times and watched several play-thru clips, today was my first actual game, and it was a solo one at that, so I am not the most qualified person to give a fair rating, however, I find the game attractive in many ways. There are a few unique game mechanics that I particularly like, like the relationship between your gem reserve zone, fatigue zone and wound zone as well as how you spend those gems to perform certain actions and how you can choose to be aggressive and recover less gems, or be cautious and recover more gems - but have less actions available to you when you are being cautious rather than aggressive.

I also really like the way the overlord is able to control her models, and how their activation cost changes as you activate other models, and how if you really want to, and have enough gems in your reserve zone to do so, you can even activate the same model or group of models more than once consecutively. I also really like that in most scenarios there is a tile that allows you to activate special game conditions whenever you like - as long as you have the gems to do so smile.gif

The game also offers some vary unique heroes by varying their stats and their available skills.

The game also has a nifty encumbrance mechanism which really adds a good level of flavour and has solid in-game effects, and forces you to sometimes make hard choices.

The game has a few little learning difficulties due to being a French game translated to English, however once you are on top of those, the game reveals itself as a very solid game that has several mechanism that interweave beautifully to offer up what I find to be a very unique and fun game.

There is also a lot of content that allows you to make your own scenarios if you like doing hat sort of thing.

At this stage, I rate the game very highly. I thoroughly enjoyed the game I had today and I can only imagine it will be even more fun when sharing the experience with other players and friends.

In the end of my solo game today, the overlord won. By the end of turn 8, the heroes had to escape the pict village with the governor's daughter as well as Zogar Sag's head (Zogar Sag is a nasty little otherworldly pict shaman)...Conan killed Zogar Sag and took his head, but was unable to reach and help Shevatas (the thief) and Hadrathus (the cleric) in finding and retrieving the governor's daughter due to being swamped by enemies, including a giant snake which took him a few turns to kill. Shevatas and Hadrathus did manage to find the young woman bound in the corner of a pict hut, however were then surrounded by picts in the middle of the village while trying to find a clear path out of the village, and they were cut down over a few turns. Hadrathus has a teleport spell, but could not use it as he was carrying the young woman, which caused his encumbrance level to exceed that of his spell casting encumbrance level. Also, by this time, each of the heroes was dreadfully fatigued and couldn't output much in the way of heroic action. At one point, the heroes seemed to be clearing the village of enemies, but the nasty overlord brought on more enemies by activating the event tile rolleyes.gif

For those interested, here is a link to the original story from which this scenario was based, "Beyond the Black River", a great read;

http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks06/0600741h.html

Here are the links to the game rule books;

http://www.monolithedition.com/conan-en/rulebooks/

Here is a pic of the end of my solo game this afternoon. Conan is the lone guy up in the top right of the board (at one point, there were a lot of enemies around him, but they all died) and you can see a gathering of picts in the middle of the village, this is where Shevatas and Hadrathus made their last stand;

IPB Image

This post has been edited by Honey Starr: Dec 5 2017, 11:29 PM
+Quote Post
Maxo_Q
post Dec 7 2017, 05:26 PM
Post #7

Social Vampire
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,233

Rad breakdown.

I have also played the pirates mission, I tried to one turn it with Conan. I hit point shy of winning it all. Sadly Conan was too exhausted after the huge turn to survive the Overlords next round of arrows.
+Quote Post
frogbear
post Dec 7 2017, 07:15 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 5,181

Awesome review!
+Quote Post
Honey Starr
post Dec 7 2017, 08:36 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(Maxo_Q @ Dec 7 2017, 05:26 PM) *

Rad breakdown.

Yes, it is interesting to see the percentages of how the Overlord and Heroes fare against one another for each scenario.

QUOTE(Maxo_Q @ Dec 7 2017, 05:26 PM) *

I have also played the pirates mission, I tried to one turn it with Conan. I hit point shy of winning it all. Sadly Conan was too exhausted after the huge turn to survive the Overlords next round of arrows.

Very thematically played, this sounds very much like the course of action Conan would take!

Once I've played the first pict scenario several times, the pirate ones will likely be my next port of call wink.gif tongue.gif

The pirates look reasonably easy to paint too.

QUOTE(frogbear @ Dec 7 2017, 07:15 PM) *

Awesome review!

Thank you smile.gif
+Quote Post
Honey Starr
post Dec 7 2017, 08:56 PM
Post #10

I've seen lots of fan made things for the Conan Board Game during my searching of the internet, and most of it is really cool so I decided to make myself some of those things to enhance the game.

I really like working in Photoshop and Inkscape to create things, so making some cards for the game and a template to get laser cut was quite fun for me.

The first thing I did was make some hero skill reference cards and some rules reference cards in a style I copied from another fan made set, and have them printed on large cards. These were ok, but I wanted something bigger that was easier to read so I re-did them for giant sized cards, and had them printed and today, they arrived. I'm really happy with them, below are some examples of what I had printed.

I am going to do an overlord rules reference card as well as some more hero skill reference cards soon.

The cards are 5" wide and 7" high.

IPB Image
IPB Image

Another thing I saw that I really liked was a fan made hero card holder. It is a laser cut template where you have a 3mm bottom and a clear acrylic 3mm top, with the hero card sandwiched in between. The clear acrylic has holes cut out of it so that the gems will stay in the areas you put them in, they won't easily slide around on top of the hero card.

After looking around, I saw that a few online stores had taken this fan made idea and started producing and selling them.

I wanted to get my own cut, so I used Inkscape to produce and set up the templates and placed an order with Lyndsay from an online laser cutting service in Sydney. She finished the job and posted it to me express post today, so I should have them tomorrow, I'm really excited to see how they've turned out.

Here is a picture of one of the ones you can buy online. For mine, the bottom is flat black 3mm acrylic. I thought this would look neater than 3mm MDF.

IPB Image

Because they appear in the original "Beyond the Black River" story, I wanted to use Balthus and his trusty hound Slasher in the "In The Clutches Of The Picts" scenario, so I have cleaned them up ready for painting, which I will start on tonight. I didn't like the bow that Balthus came with, so I stole a hard plastic Games Workshop one to replace it.

IPB Image
+Quote Post
Honey Starr
post Dec 8 2017, 03:35 PM
Post #11

The hero card holders that I had laser cut in Sydney, arrived today. I have four of them, which is all I need for the game. Next I may create a similar thing for the equipment and spell cards. I'm rather happy with how they have turned out and my only concern is the clear acrylic surface getting scratched or permanently marked in some way. A moderate amount of care should see them endure normal gaming sessions.

Below is a pic of the bottom plate (3mm matt black acrylic), its two end pieces (which glue in place) and four little squares. The little squares glue together to form a marker to place in either the aggressive stance hole, or the cautious stance hole, to indicate what stance your hero is taking that turn. I may paint this marker some bright colour, so it stands out more than the black does.

IPB Image

Below is a pic of how the end pieces glue into the slots of the bottom plate, to hold the 3mm clear acrylic top plate in place, and thereby sandwich the hero card in between them.

IPB Image

Below is a pic of it all together with one of Conan's hero cards in place, and a full allotment of gems in his reserve zone ready to be spent on heroic actions smile.gif

IPB Image

Below is a pic of the same as above later in the game after a wound has been taken and some of the gems have been spent on actions and some of the gems are in the fatigue zone waiting to be recovered to the reserve zone. Also note the marker being used to indicate an aggressive stance.

IPB Image
+Quote Post
b20f08
post Dec 8 2017, 06:30 PM
Post #12

Ten Guitars
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,935

Outstanding! armata_PDT_34.gif

--------------------
"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing!" for Spike Milligan & Dave Chapelle & Charles Bukowski
"Life without regrets is no life at all." Yip Man and anyone else

Painting Batreps
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th December 2017 - 08:08 PM