Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Toxic gaming community?
Dante Death
post Oct 24 2018, 08:42 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,035

Hi

Im new to the wargaming community in Brisbane because I just moved up here. I have caught wind of some of the politics going on inter-store. It seems that a new store (store a) opened is receiving backlash from another store (store b), and store b is trying to get their clients to boycott store a. Is this common in the gaming community? I thought games were supposed to bring us together?

Has anyone else experienced this at all? kinda sucks

This post has been edited by Dante Death: Oct 24 2018, 08:42 PM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Monkey Nuts
post Oct 25 2018, 06:05 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 17,988

QUOTE(Dante Death @ Oct 24 2018, 08:42 PM) *

Hi

Im new to the wargaming community in Brisbane because I just moved up here. I have caught wind of some of the politics going on inter-store. It seems that a new store (store a) opened is receiving backlash from another store (store b), and store b is trying to get their clients to boycott store a. Is this common in the gaming community? I thought games were supposed to bring us together?

Whenever I'm faced with such a terrible situation in life, one which I find difficult to navigate through, I stop and calmly ruminate on my problem and I soon find that what I was getting upset over, is not such a big deal after all...
+Quote Post
leighpierce90
post Oct 26 2018, 09:25 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 17,472

Not sure about Brisbane, but I know there's a gaming club down here in Sydney where there is a little bit of entitlement and aggression. For example if a particular person doesn't get his "regular" table, he gets reeeaaaaalllll aggressive about it. But that's about as bad as I've seen it.

In the RPG community there was some recent issues of horrendous intolerance and sexism from the "Old guard" towards both differing genders, and younger players, but the community rose up pretty quickly to protect those people and get the offenders dealt with.
+Quote Post
Dante Death
post Oct 26 2018, 05:30 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 18,035

QUOTE(leighpierce90 @ Oct 26 2018, 09:25 AM) *

Not sure about Brisbane, but I know there's a gaming club down here in Sydney where there is a little bit of entitlement and aggression. For example if a particular person doesn't get his "regular" table, he gets reeeaaaaalllll aggressive about it. But that's about as bad as I've seen it.

In the RPG community there was some recent issues of horrendous intolerance and sexism from the "Old guard" towards both differing genders, and younger players, but the community rose up pretty quickly to protect those people and get the offenders dealt with.

Thats the type of attitude that deters people from playing, then the older player base complains that they are just playing the same people... good on you people for standing up for others
+Quote Post
leighpierce90
post Oct 26 2018, 07:39 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 17,472

QUOTE(Dante Death @ Oct 26 2018, 06:30 PM) *

Thats the type of attitude that deters people from playing, then the older player base complains that they are just playing the same people... good on you people for standing up for others

It's hard sometimes, but I guess we have to remember that it IS only the select few. One store trying to get people to boycott another smells of fear. I have a lot of respect for game store owners, it's such a small niche business, but that sort of behaviour is wrong. I hope people continue to go to whichever is more supportive and they feel more comfortable at. Good luck!
+Quote Post
Konrad2709
post Oct 26 2018, 09:20 PM
Post #6

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 2,723

My immediate thought when reading the OP was that the existing store is a FLGS and the new one is a GW store.

I've read of this happening many times, where GW identify the perfect place to put a new store, is right next to an existing FLGS, which ends up suffering.

If it's a new independent moving into the patch of an existing, then they're asking for rivalry. Do they offer exactly the same line of goods, or do they cater to different niches?

I just wish somebody would open an FLGS close to my house! Every place in Melbourne is too far away to be practical enough I can become a 'local'. I don't ask for much, but It'd just be tops if they were licensed too! Ah well, I can dream.
+Quote Post
Krefey
post Oct 31 2018, 02:54 PM
Post #7

Authoritarian Forum Dictator
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 98

QUOTE(Monkey Nuts @ Oct 25 2018, 07:05 PM) *

Whenever I'm faced with such a terrible situation in life, one which I find difficult to navigate through, I take my pants off and float my balls in a cup of luke-warm water, the stress relief is amazing and I soon find that what I was getting upset over, is not such a big deal after all...

This is not appropriate commentary on this forum. Please tone it down. This is your first and only warning

QUOTE(Dante Death @ Oct 24 2018, 09:42 PM) *

Hi

I saw it happen here in Canberra. Well, it certainly appeared to be happening from what I could see, but I could be mistaken. One of the stores has closed down though.

--------------------
www.celestial-lions.net

Laser Shark Designs
Webstore
Offering custom laser cut goods for your gaming needs :)
(I'm just starting out, but would welcome requests / input)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st November 2018 - 01:15 AM