5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
> Explanation for actions and absence in 40K tournaments, Appology
Blackhearts Reaver
post Aug 29 2014, 09:04 AM
Post #21

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 446

Goodonya fofjunior there are plenty of choices in life. Understanding what they are and what stage of life you are in, determine you as a person. When you share your life with others they should be important to you. Anyone who does not take them into account is being glib or selfish/self absorbed. Ignore those.

I know I have made a few of those decisions.

As always, up for a game when you need one.

This post has been edited by Blackhearts Reaver: Aug 29 2014, 09:08 AM

--------------------
Run local tourneys, Make terrain. 75,000+ pts...Play 1-3 games a week...(40K,BFG,BB,FoW).
Good Trader +149 .....QLD Masters: 1st/14(Tau), 1st/12(Daemons), 4th/15(Daemons), 1st/16(Orks), 2nd/15? (IG), 6th/22(Eldar).
AUS ranking=briefly No.1. :) ATC2011=QLD team ChampionsATC2012=QLD 5th
Retired from Competitive play sometime early? 2013

Try to be positive and help... not negative and tear things down.

"I passionately believe that's it's not just what you say that counts, it's also how you say it - that the success of your argument critically depends on your manner of presenting it." Alain de Botton
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
westwood
post Aug 29 2014, 09:26 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 9,945

We still love you Gaz smile.gif

As Bill said, looking forward to catching up with you for some dice rolling and beers soon.

I think we're all guilty of over indulging our hobby at some point. A couple of weeks ago, April led me around the house and pointed out that every room of the house had something 40k related in it. (One room you couldn't even get into there was so much #### in there). As a result anything new coming in has to be balanced out financially by something going out, and I'm taking steps to reduce my "40k footprint" as it were.

All I can say is lucky it's a plasticrak addiction and not meth. I'd probably be dead.
+Quote Post
Mitch311
post Aug 29 2014, 09:53 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 11,122

The plastic glue fumes will get you one day Wes....

Gary, bravo, I think a lot of people underestimate the toll our dedication to little plastic toys can have on our partners (and children if applicable). It is an issue I faced years ago with MMO's and I learnt my lesson.

It's not so much that you stop doing the things your meant to do, eg work, chores etc etc. It is the time you could be doing more.
+Quote Post
HAMi the HAMMER
post Aug 29 2014, 10:15 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 15,884

That being said I don't think anyone should be forced or required to give up a hobby. As long as iti is financially viable and family is put first. As much as I would like to expand my collection I have to put it on hold,which is fine two kids and family business comes first. When I first got with my partner I sold pretty much everything I owned because I thought that it was inappropriate to have toys. Since then I have learnt that it is important for me to have my own time.
+Quote Post
straylight
post Aug 29 2014, 10:41 AM
Post #25

ragequitter

Member No.: 72

Gary, bravo, I think a lot of people underestimate the toll our dedication self absorption and ego driven desire to place in meaningless tournaments can have on our partners (and children if applicable).

Quote of wisdom - Being over 2 hours late for a dinner date with your wife due to playing in a tournament is NOT a good idea!!

Holy crap, the Earth moved, the rest of the planets in the solar system aligned themselves in a once in a thousand years event - and as a result I made the 2012 QLD masters!

The planets are stuck in alignment, bribery rules and I snuck into the 2013 QLD masters - I guess the event needs a whipping boy!

Call me houdini - I got an invite to the Aussie Masters 2013 (well actually a lot of others just couldn't make it) but whatever -woo hooo totally sick! Results - Only Qld'r to win a prize, shame it was for last place!

Mother of God - Why am I expected to play this early in the morning sober?

so which one if the sig lines is to be taken seriously ? Even while decrying a desire to play wardollies in favour of reality, I read about that visceral search for wargaming glory. You are boasting about being 2 hours late for dinner, about representing qld in 40kays.

how much money have you dropped on this hobby ?

Maybe the correct response to the OP should be: "actually, you are right mate, lets stop wasting so much time, money and creativity on a game that is a corporate heist of what was once a hobby"

But so much easier to rally around and say the plasti-crack is still there when you change your mind.

To paraphrase Suzuki, no one is going to give a damn when you leave this planet about your wargaming addiction, the money you spent or the time you represented qld in some artificial test of man-dolly prowess.

that's why I think you are soft. It is such an obvious truth.

'side, boobies are where it is at. More primal than war dollies.

--------------------
bambi
+Quote Post
Starfire
post Aug 29 2014, 01:01 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 7,286

I don't think anyone should think less of someone for being proud of representing their state regardless of the activity.

--------------------
QUOTE(Prince Raven @ May 11 2014, 07:43 PM) *

You know what? I give up, this is like playing chess with pidgeon. I'm going to leave while I still have enough brain cells to make the decision.

+Quote Post
waargh
post Aug 29 2014, 01:08 PM
Post #27

Ruining the hobby

Member No.: 633

what if it was for something stupid like competitive eating, or warhammer mans?
+Quote Post
straylight
post Aug 29 2014, 01:22 PM
Post #28

ragequitter

Member No.: 72

I don't think anyone should think less of someone for being proud of representing their state regardless of the activity.

Call me houdini - I got an invite to the Aussie Masters 2013 (well actually a lot of others just couldn't make it) but whatever -woo hooo totally sick! Results - Only Qld'r to win a prize, shame it was for last place!

de-fault, best two words...

not that it matters.

--------------------
bambi
+Quote Post
Blackhearts Reaver
post Aug 29 2014, 02:27 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 446

Then some people just need to hate.....

--------------------
Run local tourneys, Make terrain. 75,000+ pts...Play 1-3 games a week...(40K,BFG,BB,FoW).
Good Trader +149 .....QLD Masters: 1st/14(Tau), 1st/12(Daemons), 4th/15(Daemons), 1st/16(Orks), 2nd/15? (IG), 6th/22(Eldar).
AUS ranking=briefly No.1. :) ATC2011=QLD team ChampionsATC2012=QLD 5th
Retired from Competitive play sometime early? 2013

Try to be positive and help... not negative and tear things down.

"I passionately believe that's it's not just what you say that counts, it's also how you say it - that the success of your argument critically depends on your manner of presenting it." Alain de Botton
+Quote Post
horus
post Aug 29 2014, 02:54 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 3,082

QUOTE(straylight @ Aug 29 2014, 10:41 AM) *

so which one if the sig lines is to be taken seriously ? Even while decrying a desire to play wardollies in favour of reality, I read about that visceral search for wargaming glory. You are boasting about being 2 hours late for dinner, about representing qld in 40kays.

how much money have you dropped on this hobby ?

Maybe the correct response to the OP should be: "actually, you are right mate, lets stop wasting so much time, money and creativity on a game that is a corporate heist of what was once a hobby"

But so much easier to rally around and say the plasti-crack is still there when you change your mind.

To paraphrase Suzuki, no one is going to give a damn when you leave this planet about your wargaming addiction, the money you spent or the time you represented qld in some artificial test of man-dolly prowess.

that's why I think you are soft. It is such an obvious truth.

'side, boobies are where it is at. More primal than war dollies.

look out guys we have a badass on our hands!

--------------------
King of the North... leader of free men.
+Quote Post
Demon
post Aug 29 2014, 03:12 PM
Post #31

Lord of The Crossroads
Group Icon

Group: Support Veteran
Member No.: 218

Maybe he just has a really strong opinion about some of the incredibly strange themes occurring in this thread.

Thats really the risk isnt it, putting such a charged thing into the public domain rather than pming the few people concerned.

--------------------
MAY YOUR FOREHEAD GROW LIKE THE MIGHTY OAK

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded. - T Pratchett

QUOTE(WitchFinderGeneral @ Jul 2 2017, 05:43 PM) *

Being a little bitch is in my genes apparently.
+Quote Post
jimjimjimmyjim
post Aug 29 2014, 04:11 PM
Post #32

Group: Banned
Member No.: 11,099

QUOTE(horus @ Aug 29 2014, 02:54 PM) *

look out guys we have a badass on our hands!

IPB Image

--------------------
+Quote Post
HAMi the HAMMER
post Aug 29 2014, 04:14 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 15,884

QUOTE(Demon @ Aug 29 2014, 03:12 PM) *

Maybe he just has a really strong opinion about some of the incredibly strange themes occurring in this thread.

What strange themes?
+Quote Post
fofjunior
post Aug 29 2014, 04:18 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 9,506

Demon, I did not Pm people but posted in the public forum for a two fold reason. One was to let those I know unferstand the reasons behind my abscence and to clarify any mis representation of my wife I may have given over the years.

Secondly it was also an open appology for my wife to read. Open because deception on my part led to hurt so I did not want to send PM's.

Straylight is welcome to his/her opinion.

Those quotes in my sig are with the 40k ones a dig at myself. The other one is hardly a boast for being late but however people want to interptet is fine, maybe Straylight can open his/her own thread and argue the RAW vs RAI with the comments - good luck.

To be honest whether you interpret ego, desire to play, competetiveness to win/compete there are a lot of components to the human dynamics that contribute to how we function as human beings.

A mistake was made on my part regardless of how you want to interpret the reasons. I am owning that mistake and taking steps to ensure it doesn't happen again - that is all.

This post has been edited by fofjunior: Aug 29 2014, 06:09 PM

--------------------
Quote of wisdom - Semper Fidelis

40K goals for 2017 - play socially more often, complete armies on parade project with son.

Life goals - Lose 15kgs, improve health, spend more quality time with my wife, children and grandchildren. Catch up with friends.
+Quote Post
Cannonball
post Aug 29 2014, 04:34 PM
Post #35

Whatever it takes

Member No.: 69

Is your wife happy with your open letter?

--------------------
#Brenton2016
+Quote Post
Demon
post Aug 29 2014, 04:51 PM
Post #36

Lord of The Crossroads
Group Icon

Group: Support Veteran
Member No.: 218

QUOTE(HAMi the HAMMER @ Aug 29 2014, 04:14 PM) *

What strange themes?

Public shaming, an apology relevant to a few people but aimed at everyone on this forum, the idea that hobbying led to bad moral decisions, just to name a few.

Just based on whats been said in this thread its not hard to see that the hobby isnt the issue at all. Just the respect for each other that you have in a marriage.

Call if youre going to be late. Accept an apology in person for what it is. And importantly, dont feel the need to share your marital issues in 40k general and not have a few people say ' I dont get whats happening.

QUOTE(fofjunior @ Aug 29 2014, 04:18 PM) *

Secondly it was also an open appology for my wife to read. Open because deception on my part led to hurt so I did not want to send PM's.

A mistake was made on my part regardless of how you want to interpret the reasons. I am owning that mistake and taking steps to ensure it doesn't happen again - that is all.

Well now you know. No boobs with your man dollies without prior discussion.

And good luck.

--------------------
MAY YOUR FOREHEAD GROW LIKE THE MIGHTY OAK

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded. - T Pratchett

QUOTE(WitchFinderGeneral @ Jul 2 2017, 05:43 PM) *

Being a little bitch is in my genes apparently.
+Quote Post
Starfire
post Aug 29 2014, 05:10 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 7,286

Those quotes in my sig are with the 40k ones a dig at myself. The other one is hardly a boast for being late but however people want to interptet is fine, maybe Starfire can open his/her own thread and argue the RAW vs RAI with the commrnts - good luck.

Nah, I said my piece.

--------------------
QUOTE(Prince Raven @ May 11 2014, 07:43 PM) *

You know what? I give up, this is like playing chess with pidgeon. I'm going to leave while I still have enough brain cells to make the decision.

+Quote Post
Cannonball
post Aug 29 2014, 05:25 PM
Post #38

Whatever it takes

I would have directed my efforts to the people directly involved with whatever issue you've had. Letting your wife dictate to you that you write a open tale of woe could backfire on her.

For example this thread is to show that said wife isn't a dominating and terrible person. However she's standing over you while writing it could just reinforce her negative stereotype even more. ohmy.gif

This post has been edited by Cannonball: Aug 29 2014, 05:29 PM

--------------------
#Brenton2016
+Quote Post
jimjimjimmyjim
post Aug 29 2014, 05:40 PM
Post #39

Group: Banned
Member No.: 11,099

QUOTE(fofjunior @ Aug 29 2014, 04:18 PM) *

Demon, I did not Pm people but posted in the public forum for a two fold reason. One was to let those I know unferstand the reasons behind my abscence and to clarify any mis representation of my wife I may have given over the years.

Starlight is welcome to his/her opinion.

Those quotes in my sig are with the 40k ones a dig at myself. The other one is hardly a boast for being late but however people want to interptet is fine, maybe Starfire can open his/her own thread and argue the RAW vs RAI with the commrnts - good luck.

To be honest whether you interpret ego, desire to play, competetiveness to win/compete there are a lot of components to the human dynamics that contribute to how we function as human beings.

Don't feed the trolls

--------------------
+Quote Post
Cannonball
post Aug 29 2014, 05:51 PM
Post #40

Whatever it takes

I think it's easy to call troll on this. It saves face and makes people feel a little better if they feel uncomfortable. I think exploring the issue of having to write an open letter is warranted.

The poster has written it with the intent of communicating his distress of what he's perceived to have done to his loved ones. Fair enough I say. I just caution the scatter gun approach and if a more apporpate line of communication should have been explored.

--------------------
#Brenton2016
+Quote Post

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd November 2017 - 11:04 PM