35 Pages V « < 7 8 9 10 11 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Admonitions of a Suss Sufferer: Mark 2, all about Mark 3
Angry_Norway
post Oct 28 2016, 07:32 PM
Post #161

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 10,012

Standard mid week madness. Well, not really, the standard mob didn't really appear so it became two games into the Frenemesis piloting Aurora.

Needing some time away from Merc shenanigans (Plus SUSS brain scratching from there being more gold loyalty inclined players), out pop the faction that gets way to much fluff focus.

Match one, I put down everyone's favourite:

Haley2 - Stormwall, Thorn, Gallant, Squire, Junior w/Sentinel, Harlen Versh, Arlan Strangeways, Stormcallers x3

So here's the thing: Trying to net list without owning Storm Lancers is actually impossible at the moment. The unit is ubiquitous to the point that I'd be nervous for them in the impending errata if I cared about cavalry at all (Horses evoke no real emotions in me for whatever reason, aside from Khadoran Murder Ponies that elicit some slight exasperation).

Double Centurion also crops up a lot, though as far as I can tell isn't hyper necessary for the Time Wizzzardess.

I find making Cygnar lists quite difficult, they all feel far to small without enough pieces to do work. In this case I'm crutching hard on the Stormwall and self-fuelling Gallant (Versh + Arlan means Haley doesn't have to dip into her focus bank).

Anyway, slightly changed Cocalanche:
Aurora1 - 2x Conservator, Diffuser, 3x Angels, Shield Wall Medium based guys, the Sidestep Medium based guys, 2x the Soul collector solo, three man repair unit, Flare bots, 2 of the Protector solo things

My concerns are Angels getting into Haley or my support, my eyeball is that this otherwise is fine for me if my feat lets the Stormwall kill either one of the Medium unit and a Conservator or roughly equivalent stuff.
The Stormcallers probably aren't going much, disrupting the Vectors probably the only worthwhile play for them as the Angels have Blade Shield and they don't really hurt the other infantry.

Scenario is three flags, on side has a forest and water, centre line has a hill and a house, other side has a pair of walls.

IPB Image
Round 1: Hmm, should have stood up for the pic. Traurigkeit.

I win the roll, pick first as table side doesn't bother me and I'll need to chip stuff down before I can reasonably start scoring consistently.

I have a central forest that the Stormwall runs up under Temporal Acceleration. Because some mistakes are traditional, Junior activates afterward and has to move up and put on Arcane Shield. Haley pops up Deflection, hides behind Thorn on the left side fo the forest, Gallant, the Sentinel, Versh go to the right of the forest, other random support bits spread out in the back field.

The Convergence response was to send an Angel unit screaming up each flank, everything else advances in an arc outside of the Stormwall's charge range, Shield Wall unit on the left of the arc, battlegroup in the centre and the Side Step fellas on the right. The remaining Angel unit stays in the backfield behind the right most wall, the Servitors spread out, solo Soul suckers go behind each Medium base unit.
Aurora gets Admonition.

IPB Image
Cygnar 2: So the elliptical formation meant no Stormwall charge, at the cost of giving me board position and providing an excellent arc for Haley. Plan was to do that and clear off the left Angel unit, which would create a safe side for the more precious support models to hide (Arlen and Junior).

Thorn and Stormwall get some focus, Arlen then pumps up the Colossal to max focus.
Sadly, Haley's ideal position in the forest is occupied by the posterior of the Wall of Storm, so I won't be able to Temporal Accelerate him for an extra shot.

Stormwall moves up out of the forest, touches the centre flag. I then decide of my available targets the Soul sucking mini-factories are the best targets, the Shield Wall dudes are annoying enough for this list as it is. I then put my brain in lala land and shoot each one once rather then turning to face and focus firing one down, net result is they both take some damage instead of one of them popping. I opt to not put down a pod, it can't meaningfully hit anything and I only get three in the game, much as that wasn't likely to be super important. I try shooting the little guns, which achieves nothing (Not that anything in the opposing list is really effected by the wall templates, the Angels are the only things susceptible to it and they are far away).

Thorn charges one of the left most Angels and noms it.
Haley moves into the forest behind the Stormwall and feats, I'm essentially getting every relevant piece besides the Angels. I then arc two Arcane Bolts to finish off the left Angel Unit, reactive drive Thorn to the left flag. I had two focus left I wanted to camp initially, but I wanted Gallant to run up and engage the Side steppers for maximum annoyance which ended up requiring a TK.
Haley on zero camp can't possibly go wrong right?
Versh and the Sentinel drift between the central and right flag.

Lastly, out of camera shot on of the Storm Callers feels super brave and charges an Angel unit. He misses. Uninspired by this reminder of their MAT and POW the other two run to the left side.

Junior is so far back you'd think I'd forgotten to deploy him.

IPB Image
CoC 2: There was some kind of running Vector assassination plan, foiled by my ingenious plays, such as (and only...) popping Haley's feat.

Everything moves forward essentially. Aurora decides to go super aggro, keeping Admonition on herself and going on the hill behind a Conservator. The suicide Stormcaller gets gutted by Angels, mission distraction being a great success.

That's.....really about it? Time wizards, keeping the fun in fundies, who at times say the darndest things.

IPB Image
Cygnar 3: It's butcher aurora time, the assassination plan is fairly clear.

Thorn moves across.
Arlen gives an extra focus to the Stormwall.
Haley TK's a Conservator into melee range of the Stormwall and turns him around, does a bunch of Arcane Bolts at Aurora for giggles. Missing each one (My sight of the future is apparently dim). I've officially cast more Arcane Bolts in this one game than in all of Mark 2.
Stormwall Powerstrikes the Conservator, knocking down Aurora and a Shield Guard solo person. I stupidly forgot to put down a pod, so no sweet Storm Caller action. Getting the full 5 points there.
Harlen aims, rolls max shots, shoots through the one remaining Shield Guard to kill Aurora.

Had Harlen failed it would have been down to the no focus Sentinel shots and a throw attack from Gallant.

Well, Haley remains Haley. Truly the revelation the world needed.
I guess Junior plus Sentinel might need to change? 12 points is just painful for Arcane Shield. The Shield Guard is nice, but not the end all be all.
Think I need something fast that can act independently. Like Storm Lan..........goddamit.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Oct 28 2016, 11:27 PM
Post #162

Got bored enough to join the Skorne Memes group. On reflection, this decision drives me to extreme ambivalence I've not felt since......I guess the announcement of Preacher being televised? (that later turned to regret, which I expect will later make this simile more apropos).

Anyway, super aggro Aurora meant a re-rack, this time I plonked down the caster I like without reason (Ok, not true, I like him because he's the only model I've bothered doing a conversion that required effort, which has yet to overpower my thoughts on how good he might actually be, which is not a lot).

Darius1 w/adult digger toys - Rowdy, Centurion, Gallant, Thorn, Squire, Junior w/Sentinel, Stormcallers, Gorman, Tinker, Lanyssa, Versh

So.....probably need to explain this mess.
Basically, I made a Haley list. Then I made a Darius list. Then I realised that as I'd just taken the Cygnar models I liked the rules or appearance of and constructed the same list twice, so quickly changed the Darius list by swapping out the Stormwall for Rowdy, the Centurion and Gorman without applying much thought.
Tinker and Storm Callers should definitely be replaced, or at least some other 5 point model(s) put in with the Tinker as a points fill.
Otherwise, it's most of the character jacks bar Dynamo, who I don't own, and Triumph, who I feel no compulsion to own.

Ye old Frenemesis is doing the righty and actually practicing a list instead of throwing random junk at the table for the sake of amusement:

Aurora1 - 2x Conservator, Diffuser, 3x Angels, Shield Wall Medium based guys, the Sidestep Medium based guys, 2x the Soul collector solo, three man repair unit, Flare bots, 2x Steelsoul Protector

Scenario flips to the pit, one side gets a hill/wall, the other gets a wall/forest/water, the house sticks out on one flank.

IPB Image
Round 1: I win the roll and take second. I've bemoaned not getting to go first with Darius for years, but at this table I'm even more disinclined to try to deal with the anti-Menoth forest in front of one deployment zone so took the other side with a nice wall I can plonk Darius behind.

CoC advance, Aurora is across my flag so I early on veto the idea of trying to score defensively on my flag. No good getting a point then being defenestrated.
The Sidesteppers run into the water, then Aurora and a unit of Angels are behind that wall at the top of the zone. One Vector is then on the left side of the forest, Shield Wall unit in said forest, other Vectors are to the right side of the forest.
The other two Angel units go hard right, one is mostly invisible aside from the wing tips protruding from the house they are presumably trying to rent. Front doors on the other side guys.
Aurora gets Admonition.

I mostly deployed in response, so mainly my models just shuffle up. I'm conspicuously keeping a relatively compact deployment, partly because of the scenario, partly because of the outflanking Angels, but I suspect mostly because I put the Centurion out of control last time I played Darius and that was a painful experience.

I do have one proxy, Valachev is standing in for Lannysa as she is still in the painting process.

The halfjacks and Stormcallers go out to the right, my theory being it'll either draw the angels forward to kill my expendable models or I'll get to plonk mines around my flag and discourage scoring off it by the lighter CoC elements.
The Centurion gets a focus from Arlen, puts up Polarity Field, receives Arcane Shield from Junior and runs up near my flag. Gallant walks up a short distance behind him.
Squire, Harlen and Darius all go behind the wall, Gorman walks up and clouds in front of Darius, I then crane him to the back of his cloud for Lannysa to run in and proc Prowl. Thorn, Rowdy and the Sentinel go to the right. Thorn and Rowdy are technically in the Conservators charge range, but that's taking into account Hunters Mark that I can Shield guard.

IPB Image
CoC 2: The various Angels lead out, the centre Angels go out to the left, engaging a halfjack. The housebound unit stays hiding away, the right unit runs in and threatens my backfield.
The Sidestep guys spread out in a half circle near my flag, trying to ensure I can't pop the whole unit.
Aurora sticks behind her safety wall, the Vectors and Shield Wallers just advance in the top of hte zone, The Diffuser and pair of Steelsoul Protectors leading out the front.

IPB Image
Cygnar 2: My planning is a bit disjointed this turn. I'm ahead on clock and haven't lost any models, so I'll just go with killing stuff and playing it safe. Scoring is off the table.

The Centurion, Gallant, Thorn and a couple Jackhammers kill off all the sidesteppers. Honestly took a lot more effort than I expected, most important piece being the Centurion who was able to get up and pop the furthest couple of models in the unit.

Rowdy charges the Diffuser and popped it without any focus allocation. Sometimes you just have to be good?

I then did the random model activation's, where my dice decided to be heroes of our time. They could have even rolled an Australian boosted 9 this day I reckoned.

Tinker went into an Angel on the right, landed the boxcars to hit and killed him. Sentinel then walked in and blatted one with his shield without focus (As expected, Junior is so far back he's not even in the pic). Gorman walked up, did an out of range throw at one of the Shield Wall guys, scatted the Black Oil onto the two right most Shield Wall chaps and both Steelsoul Protectors. Marvelous.

Lastly for giggles Harlen, who was the recipient of Crane this turn, moved up and drew a bead on Aurora that voided the wall bonus, though it required nuzzling up to Thorn who is at best emotionally distant. Only rolled two shots alas, first was shield guarded, second burnt through a focus point to do four damage. Harlen loves him some opposing Admonition.

This post has been edited by Angry_Norway: Oct 30 2016, 01:26 AM
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Oct 28 2016, 11:32 PM
Post #163

IPB Image
CoC 3: Aurora decides its Agro time once more.
The Angels go first, they run in to engage various things. Aurora then feats, moves up and starts stabbing Gallant and Thorn with Flashing Blades. In the same way my dice were heroic, Chrisanthenums decided that giving their owner hope was beyond their means. Aurora, with Flank, missed the opening attack on Thorn, then missed another with flashing blade, allowing him to Dodge twice away. One of these triggered a Defensive Strike that also missed. Glorious.
After that desultory effort, she re-positioned further up the hill, outside of walk and stab range of the Centurion and Gallant, who was also minimally hurt, camping two with Admo up.

Just realised we didn't apply Mechanical Seizure and Gallant should have been Stationary. Doh. Would have been relevant to.

The Shield Wall and Steelsouls advance up, one Protector triggers Rowdy's Counter charge which kills it. They Shield Wall guys do a single CMA of doom on Versh. It misses.

Other than that the Vectors and various support pieces futz around, one does stab Gallant outdoing Aurora (5 damage versus 4 for a total of 9).

IPB Image
Cygnar 3: Well, its not hard to feel confident after seeing all those failed to hit and damage rolls.
Simply plan, kill Aurora. Plan is to trigger Admonition, then move Gorman up, Black Oil, move a jack to engage and Jackhammer to Victory.

I start by spawning a Halfjack that runs to be in a the right Slam position. Thorn then slams him, taking two free strikes that lop off both arms. Aurora triggers Admonition and moves closer to my edge, making her travel distance in the game officially double that of Darius'.
Salt in the gears as Thorn then misses the four for the Slam anyway.

The plan was going so well I had to mess it up. Darius goes over his safety wall, does a shot on Aurora that blows through another four or so health after the focus point. I then realise the plan was to Jackhammer, so I hadn't allocated to sodding anybody, but I'd activated Darius early. Sodding Genius.I cast Full Throttle instead, it's all good, still recoverable.

I then trample Gallant, who gains a Versh focus as well. I curse my ineptitude once more, as I spaced on getting Gormans sticky stuff out. Just the worst at war dollies over here.

Full Throttle makes up for it thankfully, as Gallant's bought attacks land with the boosted hit rolls and just cap Aurora off thanks to the early damage Versh did.

Blargh. Why do I insist on making this harder than it needs to be?! I had one attack to come from the Centurion and Gorman still to activate.

IPB Image
Me on the right.

CoC wise, I can't help but think on review that the proper play is to Admonition a Vector, Hang Aurora behind the forest with Arcane Might and boost damage when applicable. But then, armour skew is also not Aurora's thing as far as I can tell.

Happy with my plans. Let's not talk about the execution thereof though. As to the list....

It's bye bye to Junior, need more pieces to do stuff. As an unimaginative muppet I've just copied the net and thrown in Sword Knights and Dougal, now to dig up those models and despair at the needed repair work. Plasticize more stuff PP. The only other real question is whether or not I cycle the Stormwall in.

This post has been edited by Angry_Norway: Oct 30 2016, 01:29 AM
+Quote Post
CareyBear
post Oct 29 2016, 07:27 PM
Post #164

Member No.: 1,881

Hmm, it's the same photo six times?
Yay cut and paste?

Nice blog. Glad you had a go of the dub galleon list, I haven't even tried it yet, somewhat disinclined to own two Galleon and I don't have a model to proxy with, as I don't like the earthbreaker model (or price, holy electricity bill batman).

Don't tell anyone, but I kind of like your Darius list. There's something to be said for just throwing crap at the table and then using the tools you have.
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Oct 30 2016, 01:20 AM
Post #165

QUOTE(CareyBear @ Oct 29 2016, 08:27 PM) *

Hmm, it's the same photo six times?
Yay cut and paste?

The might of my proofreading is unquestionable! Should be fixed now, thanks for joining the illustrious club of posters in this thread tongue.gif

Nice blog. Glad you had a go of the dub galleon list, I haven't even tried it yet, somewhat disinclined to own two Galleon and I don't have a model to proxy with, as I don't like the earthbreaker model (or price, holy electricity bill batman).

Cheers!
It's......eh? Better for the matchups it forces than what it actually does on the table.
If you play with a group of any size, I'd be shocked if there weren't wreck markers spare....
I own double of both colossals. Thankfully I play in the vicinity of Haideon and his 14 odd Huge base models, so can just measure on a comaparitive basis than focus on my own money burning binges.

Don't tell anyone, but I kind of like your Darius list. There's something to be said for just throwing crap at the table and then using the tools you have.

Many things can be said, but should they be? tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Angry_Norway: Oct 30 2016, 01:30 AM
+Quote Post
CareyBear
post Oct 30 2016, 11:40 AM
Post #166

Oh I have a wreck marker somewhere. I could probably even blu tac a stompa to it, I've got a scratch built one sitting on the shelf.

Lists that heavily invest in a particular trick or strategy are efficient and effective but limited in playstyle. I get bored doing the same thing, kinda why I went off Shae in mkII.

More random lists that have a variety of tools (I'll be optimistic and call them "balanced all comers") are less effective at any particular strategy but more fun to play - and don't get hard countered as easily.
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Nov 2 2016, 07:26 PM
Post #167

QUOTE(CareyBear @ Oct 30 2016, 12:40 PM) *

More random lists that have a variety of tools (I'll be optimistic and call them "balanced all comers") are less effective at any particular strategy but more fun to play - and don't get hard countered as easily.

WISH GRANTED.

Time to battle Southern Frawley. Is he a clone? A distant cousin? Descended of questionable parentage? A bird? We just don't know.

I've thrown my play-each-caster-a-few times-before-moving-on policy to the wind apparently, as Darius goes to his (inevitably temporary) place in the bin for another old time favourite of the game to pop up.

Haley1 - Stormwall, Gallant, Squire, Harlen Versh, Arlan Strangeways, Gun Mages w/UA + Defender
Objective: Bunker

Basic theory is I'll temporal Barrier, use the Heavy guns to focus fire and Thundershot stuff back to stay safe. Gun Mages are self clearing now in theory, so that's nice. Defender is there because I just don't know the Jack Marshal rules and want to give them a go, plus a potentially range 20 gun amuses me.
Yada yada list bad twinkle twinkle Storm Lancers.

And the emo chumps throw down:
Thyron1 - Imperatus, 2x Sphinx, 2x Battle Mittens, 3x Arcanist, Eiryss1, Mage Hunter Assassin, A unit that I think was Halberdiers?

In any event we have the Pit with some forests on the outside, an obstruction and Concealment granting wall in the zone.

I remember the Anastasia bonus! Still lose the roll! As planned!

IPB Image
Ret 1: I've done that thing I hate of making a list that really wants to go first. Naturally Srawley nabs it, so I take the side with the Obstruction so I don't have to deal with a hidden model shenanigans at the edge of the zone.

Eiryss3 is proxying for Eiryss1, Sentinels are repping whatever the miscellaneous Ret melee infantry unit was.

Eiryss is in that left forest, jacks and one unit of Mages is the left side lump, right side lump is the other infantry unit and second lot of Mitteneisters, the spike is a converted Mage Hunter Assassin Model (Amateur poledancer, please give Loonies to upgrade to a reasonable pole. Quest not helped by the current standing of Canadian currency.).

Assail is on Imperatus.

IPB Image
Cygnar 1: Alright, there are many mistakes this game, think I'll go with listing them at the end to keep the turn remembrances short.
Against Spell Piercer Arcane Shield seems like a poor choice, so I'm not going to bother with it. Plan is to get Temporal Barrier up the field, Stormwall is going to contest the zone and throw down pods if Thyron decides to go to the Ret flag for the defensive score.

Haley Temporal Barriers, advances. Gun Mages run in front of her, just shy of Imperatus' threat range (11 inch). Harlen runs up to be behind the Obstruction, idea being that Imperatus couldn't get to him and if the Gun Mages advances he'd clock them with Witch Hunt. Defender gets moves up, shoots Imperatus for some shield damage. Stormwall moves up toward the zone, puts down some Covering fire, misses big gun shots at the Halberdiers.

IPB Image
Ret 2: The Battle Mages advance, two are in range of the Gun Mage in front of Haley. First one dies to Versh, second one gets missed, lands the 8 to hit the Gun Mage and kill them. Eiryss moves up, lands the 7, strips the focus, does a weaponmaster damage roll to put her on 4 boxes. Imperatus, being the last weapon in range, advances and pops Haley.

Quick game is a good game? The Pre-game Europa 4 recount lasted about twice as long.

So yes, we did screw up the rules, Eiryss 1 isn't a weaponmaster and Haley should have lived. Now onto the relevant mistakes:

What the hell was I doing?! Sure I don't care for the Swans that much, but this willingness for self torture is a bit beyond my own expectations.

The correct play is hold Haley back a few inches, enough to just tag Imperatus, then put the Defender and Gallant in front of her. Eiryss is a problem, as is stealth models in general, so that's probably worth examining.
In more specific and only minorly less egregious errors, HALEY HAS ARCANE VORTEX YOU TWIT. Sigh.

There was also a I-want-to-see-how-good-this-is moment at the end when the Assassin rolled damage out on the Stormwall. Zero points. Vindictive joy asserted.

Assuming I don't herp the derp, a number of issues occur. Specifically Eiryss and Imperatus. Imperatus out threats all my junk even under Temporal Barrier, so what I have to do is keep Haley safe behind the Heavies, use Harlen to stop the Defender getting moved, shoot Imperatus with the Heavies/Stormwall then knock him back out of threat range with Thundershot. Stormwall also has to covering fire to keep the Halberdiers back, so that'll be tricky. I think I have to throw away Anastasia to pop Eiryss, though the odds are pretty good (Pop in from the side and make an Opportunist attack).

Oh well, being a quick game it was pretty easy to nab in another one that I can guarantee at least manages to get past the top of 2. But how far? Not necessarily that much.
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Nov 2 2016, 08:51 PM
Post #168

From our Srawley slaughter we advance to....wait.....people are reading the Mark 2 thread? weird.
Anyway, our resident part time Hippy has dropped the trees once more for his preferred Vodka Infused Imperialists.

The list was already out, so Sloth wins!:
Haley1 - Stormwall, Gallant, Squire, Harlen Versh, Arlan Strangeways, Gun Mages w/UA + Defender

Stuff about Thunderstrike here.

It's that guy whose sculpt sadly didn't emulate his picture:
Malakov2 - Behemoth, 2x Juggernaught, 2x Kodiak, Mechaniks (Max), Orin, 2x Eliminators, Drakhun
Objective: Fuel Cache

Scenario is Extraction, one my least played. Should work on that.

The most overwhelmingly important piece of terrain is a forest blob that sits in the middle of the board covering a corner of one zone. It provides a place that a caster can sit outside of line of sight while scoring.

I win the roll and pick first anyway. After last game I still field the need to get up the board for Temporal, more to the point that forest will be annoying to deal with but if I put Haley there then I die to Veil of Mists. No thanks.

No pic for Round 1, Khador correctly take the side with said super forest. We run at each other. The Khador Jacks move up in a great flying V of doom, the Eliminators space out in front of the Cygnar zone. I put Arcane Shield on Haley, feeling the pain of last "game".
Behemoth also did a scattering shot that git the Gun Mage UA. Fate was smiling me and he only takes one box of damage, but it was nearly the best of starts for the Reds.

Proxies for Khador are an armless jack that's a Kodiak.

IPB Image
Cygnar 2: The two jacks on the left are Juggernaughts with Malakov behind the forest, centre jack is a Kodiak, then Behemoth, then the sub Kodiak. Most of the Elimiantors are dead for this pic.
I'm going to give away a defensive score to Khador, which is fine and in line with the plan. Haley is far enough forward that she has scoring potential, the crux of the plan is to Temporal every turn and push back with Gun Mages while the Heavies focus fire. After Malakov's feat Gallant will go into something as he'll out threat all the opposing models.

This turn priorities are killing the Eliminators, bunkering up with Haley and hoping Behemoth gets distracted by said Bunker to put the shots their rather than popping my Gun Mages whoa re precious to my anti-feat plan.
Haley's toes the zones, Lightings the Kodiak. Sadly it only bounces one, so I end up advancing the Gun Mages anyway which I was trying to avoid. The UA falls back to a hill, losing that Jack Marshall would suck hard. The Gun mages push the centre Kodiak back a bit and kill two Eliminators, leaving one survivor. I immediately regretted not casting Deadeye on them and have them doing all the work without the silly Chain Lightning attempt.
Defender and Gallant shield Haley, stay out of Kahdoran jack threat range. Stormwall advances, I save the precious Pod contesting pieces for later turns. The various guns on those jacks hits the centre Kodiak, chisels out the Cortex. Sweetness. Stormwall also puts down Covering Fire, principally to get in the way of the Eliminator who could potentially gak the more annoyingly placed Gun Mages.
Various support pieces run around like headless chickens in the backfield.

IPB Image
Khador 2: I hadn't considered my Objective, so the right most Kodiak goes in and kills it, popping a cloud to kill a Gun Mage. Surprisingly the Objective lived on 1 box, sot he Eliminator charged it and Combi striked it to death, then went and engaged a Gun Mage off the Sidestep.
Behemoth actually shoots at Gallant per the plan, which was a nice surprise. Until he managed 10 damage points off that shot. Oh well, better than losing multiple Gun Mages at this point and I have Arlen if I need it.
The other Khadoran Jacks limp forward and get in threat range of my Jacks/Haley.
The Drakhun gets Prowl and hides in the Fuel Cache cloud.
Malakov sits content in his foresty bunker and feats.

2 points to the Reds.

IPB Image
Cygnar 3: The plan is roughly working out, just have to ride the feat out.
I'll move Haley across, Termporal Barrier, use the Gun Mages to knock back anything in range, wait it out, equalise the scoring and use feat to push back/kill enough jacks to get ahead in the attrition, put a pod one round then the Stormwall to stop Khador Dominating for the long win.

Haley moves across in the zone and Temporal Barriers, puts Deadeye on the Gun Mages.
Anastasia, having ambushed from the side, charges the Eliminator and neatly decapitates her.
The Gun Mages then wiggle around and pop Thunderstrikes. The first four go excellently, knocking Behemoth and the right most Kodiak out of charge range on Haley.
I then have a brainwave. If I knock the Kodiak back another two inches, I can put Gallant in front of Haley, in position to both shield her and threaten anything approaching the zone. Brilliance!
Gun Mage shoots. Hits. Pushes back one inch. Does a damage point. Kodiak advances into threat range of Haley.
Well, balls. Good thing I've got another.
Gun Mage shoots, hits, knocks back one inch. Does two damage.
Dammit dudes. They even rolled consistent crits this turn, the mocking was real.

Nought to do now, but prey I core out the Cortex. Defender does a shot, damages the Kodiak a little, he advances after another meagre push into the zone. Own worst enemy over here.
Gallant moves in and does a smack for a few more points.

Stormwall walks back out of the Juggernaught charge range, shoots down the opposing objective and puts a pod down to contest.

Harlen runs up to be in the way and I await my inevitable doom.

Points now 2 to 1 in Khador's favour.

IPB Image
Khador 3: Time for Haley to die.
Behemoth and Orin clear out the Gun Mages, bar the cowardly Officer on the hill, as well as Versh.
Painted Grey Kodiak gets repaired, charges Gallant and kill him.
Plastic Grey Kodiak walks to Haley, vents Steam, boosts its initials.

Leaves her on 1 box.

Well, damn. Alive but in a terribad position.

Drakhun charges and engages the Stormwall/Defender. One Jugger moves over and kills the Pod, the other runs into my zone for the sake of Surety.

3-1 Khador.
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Nov 2 2016, 08:56 PM
Post #169

IPB Image
Cygnar 4: Allright, I have to disrupt as much as possible, advance the Stormwall to get into the Khadoran score to stop the slow grind scenario win.

Haley feats, Scrambles the Painted Kodiak, heals for 2 and camps three with Arcane Shield.
Gun Mage Officer aims, knocks back the Red Juggernaught.
Stormwall advances, throws the Drakhun into said Juggernaught, pods the Khador zone.
Defenders gets Crush, advances, takes out the Red Juggers Cortex with his Hammer.
Arlen tries to get the crit disrupt on Kodiak engaging Haley with his spray, fails.
Squire and Anastasia run to the far right corners of my zone.

Khador 4: Turns out the Kodiak engaging Haley was out of Malakov's control area and the attempted Disruptions from Arlen were a complete waste of time. Good thing he failed anyway.

Behemoth kills the Defender, Grey Juggernaught pops half of the Stormwall.
Disrupted jacks stumble around.
The Kodiak on Haley Pops Steam. Does two damage, putting her back on one.
Drakhun charges Haley, misses everything.
Orin tries to lighting the Squire, does some damage.
Malakov gets a Sucker Circle of Mechaniks, kills the pod.

IPB Image
Cygnar 5: The only win condition now is clock, though 7 minutes should be plenty for the reds. Alas.
Stormwall runs to contest the Khador zone, Haley heals again, scrambles behemoth. Various solos go into my zone.

IPB Image
Khador 5: Juggernaught kills Stormwall, Malakov Dominates to 5. Alas.

I would have got away with it if not for those damn kids. I mean Gun Mages.
Thought my position was good overall, though I definitely put the Stormwall in the wrong spot, he should have positioned with an eye to getting him into the zone further to the left.

Haley1 will get one more attempt with this list, then changes are a-happening.
+Quote Post
Master Chris
post Nov 2 2016, 08:59 PM
Post #170

Member No.: 4,171

DON'T LEAVE ME IN SUSPENSE!

(Was funnier when it was jammed up in between posts but apparently you are a copy-paste monster)

This post has been edited by Master Chris: Nov 2 2016, 09:00 PM

--------------------
Everything that existed before I was born is irrelevant, everything that exists after I die is lucky.
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Nov 2 2016, 09:32 PM
Post #171

QUOTE(Master Chris @ Nov 2 2016, 09:59 PM) *

DON'T LEAVE ME IN SUSPENSE!

(Was funnier when it was jammed up in between posts but apparently you are a copy-paste monster)

You had your 5 minute window tongue.gif
+Quote Post
CareyBear
post Nov 3 2016, 09:18 PM
Post #172

Wishes? Ooh, do I get 3?

For my second wish:

Shae
3x freebooter
Commodore cannon
Brun and Lug
Dahlia and Skarath
Wrong Eye and Snapjaw
Rorsh and Brine
Lanyssa Ryssyl

Because a theoretical 18" threat on freebooters is a thing, the feat works on the warbeasts now (yay for mercenary monsters) and helps with the control areas of the junior warlocks, because I got a headache trying to decipher Brine's nonlinear threat range, and an alpha which could spend 15 or so focus and fury without straining itself has to be amusing. Plus freebooter and Brine repeated snake throwing shenanigans to eat unsuspecting backfield casters.

Also every one of those warlocks except Dahlia has serious game with Storm Rager. Dahlia can have phantasm, because the only thing more annoying than not being able to target her within 8 is needing a range 14 gun to shoot her as well, assuming she's not prowling a veil.

Thoughts?

Edit: might be worth swapping lanyssa for anastaisa as this list likes going first - a lot. Everything runs or charges and you now threat into their deployment zone...

This post has been edited by CareyBear: Nov 3 2016, 09:47 PM
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Nov 3 2016, 11:05 PM
Post #173

QUOTE(CareyBear @ Nov 3 2016, 10:18 PM) *

Thoughts?

Lessers with a Warcaster I'm blaise about.

I see you've worked out my weakness, I'll probably give this a spin after the next Kapital Kup Heat (fortnight or so).
+Quote Post
CareyBear
post Nov 4 2016, 12:57 PM
Post #174

Oh you can probably drop Fiona or Ashlynn into it, likely with a different jack combination.

Shae just provides significant extension, some handy defensive tools in his upkeeps and is one of the more personally survivable merc casters with def 17 and groundwork.

Seems like it'd have significant assassination or scenario game. Probably not attrition due to the lack of armour debuffing unless you can leverage trash.
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Nov 4 2016, 02:02 PM
Post #175

QUOTE(CareyBear @ Nov 4 2016, 01:57 PM) *

Oh you can probably drop Fiona or Ashlynn into it, likely with a different jack combination.

On paper I like to think Shae is the best of the three. Or at least that's what my Fiona/Ashlynn experiences tell me.

QUOTE(CareyBear @ Nov 4 2016, 01:57 PM) *

Seems like it'd have significant assassination or scenario game. Probably not attrition due to the lack of armour debuffing unless you can leverage trash.

I think it'll have game into most local lists, with the exception of those that explicitly go heavy....um.....heavies or a Colossal/Garg. If there's good anti-KD tech then the Freebooters go down in usability a fair bit.

It can actually do a bodgier version of the Minions Snake throw tech, which is totes valid for....what.....2 more months?

+Quote Post
CareyBear
post Nov 4 2016, 03:52 PM
Post #176

Yeah that's what I meant by assassination. Also all the throw jank the freebooters can get up to plus commodore silliness.

I was thinking about a Wrastler in the list but you need to drop a lesser to get him in. That said, Rage on Brine is a bit rude. Certainly fixes the pillowfists.
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Nov 4 2016, 05:56 PM
Post #177

Random pickup game into our latest sell sword, a recent emigre from Skorne, Jyrrhus.

The planned last game of this rubbish (hint of the future there):

Into he who is no longer the failed quarterback to the successful Ossrum Red headed step child (In jokes for an audience of two. Good writing right there):

Damiano1 (Kingmakers) - 2x Nomads, Rover, 2x Steelhead Halberdiers (One Max, One Min), Trenchers, Steelhead Cav, Stannis, Orin, Kell

Scenario is Recon, terrain is the 2D stuff that I just find bemusing at this point (If making terrain for Warmachine, why wouldn't you confirm to the Steamroller rules for size? They've been consistent for some time). One side gets Rubble, a wall and a hill. Centre line ha sa forest and a house inside used as a trench, other side has a hill and forest.

IPB Image
Merc 1: Anastasia sods it up again. I take the side with the Rubble/Hill/Wall combo.
No proxies, but the Mercs are in the halfway process of painting. Basically the Large Base black models are the jacks and Stannis, Large base blue models are cav, small base blue models are mostly Halberdiers, plastic small base models are Trenchers.

That front unit in the zone is the Trenchers with Sure Foot, then it is a wall of Steelheads with Damiano and Jacks on the hill. Stannis is on the far right of the blob, beside him is metal Kell in the forest.

Nothing to special to my deploy, Colossal is across from Nomads, Gun Mages will print money no matter where they go.

IPB Image
Cygnar 1: Haley Temporal Barriers, advances to be behind the objective and a running Gallant. Arcane Shields the Stormwall.
Versh moves to the left of my Objective, happily pops off about three of the Trenchers.
Gun Mages move up on the right, kill some Trenchers and Halberdies.
Defender aims, hits Stannis. Uses the boosted damage Jack Marshall ability and a focus from Arlen.1 in 6 chances it fails every time, alas this was one of those times.
Stormwall moves up, puts down Covering Fire and does some inept shots.

IPB Image
Merc 2: The Trenchers can take shots on Haley if they cross the Covering Fire. Two die to that, the remaining two give up and CRA.
Damiano moves forward from the hill and feats, his jacks run around him at the top of the zone.
Kell pops two Gun Mages.
The various Steelheads move forward, the Cav are able to charge through courtesy of Stannis surviving (Glaring at you Defender!), they Assault down a Gun Mage and lance out Gallant's Cortex. Imph.

IPB Image
Cygnar 2: Simple enough, kill as much as I can. This doesn't seem like the feat turn given the Fun Mages will need 7's on damage, so I'll just hang back this turn and wait out. Bunker means I can't damage the opposing Objective anyway, nor meaningfully hurt his jacks.

Anastasia gets revenge for the Gun Mages, coming in from the right edge to charge and slaughter Kell. Backstab is fun (Though I think I thought it was Opportunist on the day).

Hersh moves far to the left, he's a useful piece and Gallant won't be needing focus generation (Arlen stuck back to avoid being in range of Kell, net result being Gallant is out of repair and not-freestrike range). As is Vershes way he blew up a pair of punks.
Gun Mages fall back a bit, snap a couple more droobs.
Defender aims, uses Strike True. Hits engaged Stannis. Fails to kill again. You are so gone you hunk of junk.
Haley Temporal Barriers and I have a mouth frothingly stupid moment, wherein I forget that Damiano has already popped his feat and a Nomadgoing in alone against a Stormwall isn't going to achieve Squat. Haley moves up to a position between my Objective and the Stormwall and Scrambles the Nomad in charge range of said Colossal.

Camping none.
Obviously in range of a bunch of Guns and a Cav charge.
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Nov 4 2016, 05:59 PM
Post #178

I think I'll resort to that ancient legacy of our race, GIFS, the only thing that might last throughout the ages, to express the relevant sentiments at this time.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

IPB Image
Merc 3: Some deadeyes go out, Orin Lightnings for a bunch. Rover proves to be out of range with the models in the way.
Halberdiers need to run through the Covering fire to give Flank to the Cav on Haley. All five that are in range die. Juicy.
Cav charges Haley, lands the Assault shot, she has three boxes left. Melee attack needs a 12 to hit, this is the final attack. If it misses I can win out in spite of my self inflicted idiocy.
It hits, Haley splats.

Numptyness aside, this was an excellent game for me. I've been struggling to feel my groove, intellectually I know Haley dies but I'm not able to apply that on the table top. I just need to pretend or liken her to Ashlynn, where I don't even feel safe camping loads on a defensive feat and I'll probably play her correctly instead of suicidally. I hope.
+Quote Post
CareyBear
post Nov 4 2016, 06:20 PM
Post #179

That's probably because Ashlynn isn't safe camping 5 with admonition up and under feat. Somehow she always ends up ground zero for some huge flying chunk of metal and then explodes. She's a nightmare for new players to play against but once they'd read the slam rules twice it's all over.

As the saying goes, she's awesome right up until she dies. At least with Fiona there's no impulse to move her 0.1 past the killbox but Ashlynn really wants to stab things and it's almost always the wrong play.

Shae being effectively immune to KD and the same def is quite capable I playing aggressively, he's just not as good at stabbing things.

That said, it's super fun to play Ashlynn and I've deeply enjoyed every game... Except against mkII legion who always managed to kill her trivially before she could be futilely awesome.
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Nov 4 2016, 06:22 PM
Post #180

That's my view of Ashlynn these days, I get her defenders because she is super fun, but then a feather drops on her head and for whatever reason it assumes the physics of the Bowling Ball instead.
+Quote Post

35 Pages V « < 7 8 9 10 11 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th November 2019 - 03:03 PM