Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Roll20, Any reviews, advice or recommendations
Shotgun
post Oct 15 2016, 12:22 PM
Post #1

Gimpy Old Man

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 250

Anyone used Roll20? I'm after any info you'd care to share such as what you used it for, how easy was it to use, pros & cons, best systems etc. Was it easy to find groups/games on? Mac friendly?

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
katatonic
post Oct 15 2016, 12:34 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Support Veteran
Member No.: 6,441

QUOTE(Shotgun @ Oct 15 2016, 12:22 PM) *

Anyone used Roll20? I'm after any info you'd care to share such as what you used it for, how easy was it to use, pros & cons, best systems etc. Was it easy to find groups/games on? Mac friendly?

I'm a massive Roll20 fanboy. I run our weekly game through my Macbook chromecasting to a TV on the table. I'm full subscriber (I can't remember what it's called... mentor I think?), which means I can use API scripts and dynamic lighting. It works incredibly well.

If you're not keen on subscribing, it still works really well at the free level. I ran two modules of Pathfinder via the net with my old group and didn't have a problem.

--------------------
I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. - Galatians 2:20

Warmahordes hack.
+Quote Post
Jammer
post Oct 17 2016, 08:28 PM
Post #3

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 9,605

If you want to see examples live check out twitch.tv and search for D&D games.

Some groups have average setups and others look awesome and run so smooth.
+Quote Post
stevo_aus
post Feb 3 2018, 05:41 PM
Post #4

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,194

I play D&D 5e and thought it might be fun to try Roll20. The system itself worked well but I found it frustrating that none of the players in the game I joined used video (Microphone only). This made it harder to tell how people were feeling (no body language) and also made it harder to get a word in. With video you can use body language to indicate that you have something to say. With audio only you wait for someone to stop talking and jump in quickly only to find they were just taking a breath or maybe somebody else beats you to it. We used chat as well which helped a little but also meant you had to listen with one ear while keeping an eye on the chat.

Overall I thought it was a good system, and when searching for games you can specify if you only want a group that requires video (but these are much less frequent).
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th August 2019 - 10:48 PM