Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Clash of Kings Australia TO report, Cancon 2017
mattc
post Jan 31 2017, 05:04 PM
Post #1

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 15,630

So it’s time to reflect on the inaugural Clash of Kings Australia, which reached its nail biting finish on Sunday after 7 games across two days, as I kick back sinking a couple of negroni cocktails. We started day 1 with 61 players after a drop out the day before the tournament, but thanks to our generous bye buster Evan, nobody had to miss a game all tournament. We lost 3 more across the 2 days, 1 to illness at lunch on Day 1, another to illness on day 2, and one to an unrelenting boss on day two (Booooooooo boss booooooooo!!!!!). That was sad but such are the vagaries of a 2 day tournament, and 58 finishing still had us at well and truly the largest kings of war tournament in Australia, and the southern hemisphere.

Many of you have been extremely generous in your praise of the tournament and the way it was conducted. To me this is a large part to the quality of player that Kings of War is attracting. The rule set does not allow too many shenanigans than can be perceived as unfair, and by and large this is bringing a great bunch of players to the table who everybody is happy to be around. I think it easiest for me to create subheadings and discuss the various components of the tournament in that fashion.

Structure
To me I feel the structure of 7 games over 2 days is right for the current rule pack. 4 games in a day is exhausting but I think if Clash of Kings Australia is going to be the premiere, largest tournament in the country then we should reward that with a big event. I doubt we will ever see a return to previous fantasy days of the 3-day Cancon event. I personally feel the 2 is enough and have had a lot of feedback reinforcing this. The spare day also gives plenty of opportunity to browse the stallholders.

Terrain
By the Green Lady wasn’t our terrain good? Rarely do you see such a large amount of high quality terrain, and not only the terrain, almost every table was clad in a proper gaming mat of some form. To me this really enhances the feel of the gaming experience and we are all indebted to Dru, Michael, Team QLD, Mark and Tony for bringing their amazing terrain, and also to Glen and Christo for sorting us out with some extra mats. Bravo sirs!

Software
Since Tournament Overlord went the way of the dodo, we have have not had consistency in a platform used for tournaments. Dennis, the creator of Tabletop Tournaments is a local here in the ACT and when I was introduced to his software I could see enormous potential. Dennis put an enormous amount of work in to get the software to where it was on the day, and suffered about 4 phone calls from me on Day 1 (one being my own stupid fault telling him his software wasn’t working but in reality my bluetooth keyboard wasn’t talking to my Surface….whoops…sorry Den). Stallandor has already provided some really good feedback on the software (please see his blog on wargamer) with some very valid points. The logging off, tournament sliding to another page etc are all things that can be fixed. I really like Ken’s idea also of being able to see all your games in one place by clicking on a name. Please all feel free to give me feedback as we are really keen to keep working with Dennis to make this THE Kings of War Software. I am not as convinced that the both players having to approve the results needs to stay, as all players can see the result and approach the TO if not happy.
Obviously the voting for painting, sports etc was the biggest failure on the day. We are at a bit of a loss as to why it didn’t work for the majority of you. It would be really useful to know what make of device you were using and what browser so I could give Dennis as much information as possible in order to work this out.

Prizes
I worked really hard prior to the event in order to obtain as much sponsorship as I could. My next thing to do is to write to all these sponsors with thanks and to trawl through photos on Facebook and try and tag some. I didn’t do this because I think people play in these tournaments just for prizes, but I was really eager to see Kings of War succeed this year for the sake of the national presence of our game. I wanted so many prizes so that we could have lots of awards and lots of lucky door prizes. I definitely believe in rewarding the winners but I also think it is good to be inclusive of all those that play our game for a variety of reasons.

I think part of the great vibe of the event was Tas’ idea that I should give out a lot of the models, scenery packs etc to those who had got ‘tabled’ or ‘20d’ the previous game. Most of us have been on the receiving end of those and I think it was a great idea to give out the little ‘pick you up’ prize.

Winners
Congratulations to all our winners. It was so tight right until the end. I really feel for you Matt to go so close after leading all the way. But such is the nature of war gaming. It is now up to the rest of the country to rest back the title from that Queenslander, Mr Clint Richards. Don’t forget you can see all the results on the software still.

Painting
So weirdly I woke up this morning wanting to do a display board for my dwarf army that Sami played with! I can’t believe I was thinking of hobbying after the pre-tournament stress of getting everything completed. This was definitely due to the such high standard of painting, basing, display board effort that everybody put in. There was no painting requirement to participate in the tournament but it was great to see the effort that everybody went to anyway. Congratulations to Tas for taking out the main prize and to Bensome for taking out the Mantic Painting award.

Clocks
I personally like what clocks bring to the game. Not only do they help the tournament run smoothly but I like that that the actually put on a bit of pressure. Under pressure comes mistakes, and for myself I learn best from mistakes. Thanks to everybody who purchased clocks via me and then loaned them for the event. This was the masterstroke idea of Ken D from QLD and and allowed every table to have a clock. Thanks to those from around who also donated extras for us. There were some occasional shenanigans with clock so I think a bit of published clock etiquette would not go astray.

Lists
The lists have now been made public. As the last lists come in I will continue to add them to the software. So go back to the Clash of Kings event on TTT and you will be able to see them in various forms. While I would like to claim the great vibe of the event coming from the TO I actually think a big part of it was what the CoK rules pack did to change the lists that were brought this year. I know several people who definitely had better experiences because of it compared to last year.

Trophies
I tried to do something different for trophies this year. I liked them, a bit of feedback they may have been slightly on the phallic side but oh well. We received our printer much later than expected and our time to reach perfection ran out which lead to their quality being reduced somewhat when you look up close (mainly the blue ones). Would be interested to know what people thought. I do really like the crown though and if others like the idea, I might go all out and get a metal one and potentially a perpetual trophy with it also.

Feedback
Please, please, please send me feedback. I am posting this on the forums and facebook so feel free to provide feedback there. Or still to clashofkingsau@gmail.com

Improvements/The Future/Growth
I think there will always be room for improvements, I certainly don’t think everything was perfect, however I am happy with it for my first major (and second ever) event that I have run. I will always endeavour to increase the player experience through any changes that I make.

In terms of the future I will commit to running Clash of Kings Australia again next year. I will never play as a TO in an event this large. Despite a tight rule set there are always a million questions and things to be done and I think that would be asking for trouble. I have and will continue to play as TO in smaller events. I already have some big ideas for next year, including more live video and maybe attempting to televise the top table. The more we spam social circles with our game the more it will grow, particularly when you look at the photos of the prize ceremony after and see all our happy faces!

As an official clash of kings event I will always be somewhat limited by the official Mantic pack. I will be very interested to see where tournament scoring goes over the next year… this is highlighted by the fact that someone like Nick wins every game but then comes a4th… I’m not convinced there’s a definite superior option yet but we’ll see what the year brings.

Whether you like it or hate it, the new tournament rule book to be released in February will create change. I definitely don’t think change is a bad thing and it will create different experiences for all of us over the next 12 months. That alone will ensure that CokAU 2018 is varied.

I would love to go 70+ entrants next year. My biggest problem with that is that we are limited by convention numbers. I have had some early discussions with people of creating private early entry but I don’t know where that will take us

I would also love to see some sort of Saturday night catch up become a thing… Spoony why did you crush my dreams?... It would be nice to catch up with everybody socially rather than just when we are trying to crush each other on the tabletop

Final Thanks
Lastly I want to thank everybody for attending, many of you made massive efforts to travel and I really appreciate that. Thanks to Tas my co-TO who I mentioned was the brains trust behind some of the better aspects of the tournament (including all that free water and zooper doopers). Not only brains trust but also the funder.

Of course I have to thank the sponsors.

I really have to thank Nick who put in so much effort with our 3D printer and Tony who helped getting them up to scratch and provided my TO table and various bits and pieces on the day.

The TO’s of the regular large events from around the country are in regular discussion and I need to thank them for their advice in the lead up with special mention to Ken D for all his advice and keen proof-reading eye!

I am most happy that our community looks to be growing strongly, long may we dominate the fantasy tabletop landscape!

PS my early discussions with Ronnie have him pretty keen for next year!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
N.I.C.K
post Jan 31 2017, 05:49 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 5,981

Thanks for the detailed report Matt, I'll echo what many others have said in that Clash of Kings was an absolutely awesome event. Big thanks to you, Tas and everyone else who had a part in organising.

FYI I didn't win all my games, I won 5 and drew 2.

--------------------
QUOTE(Ehsteve @ Apr 9 2015, 01:56 PM) *

I have seen that word (fued, fu'ed, and all variants therein) many times in the past few months...what does it mean?

Adjective; Fued: The art of being inherently awesome, having excessive amounts of swag and generally giving zero farks.

Active member of the Infernal Muppets Gaming Club | Tweet @lecopoutking
+Quote Post
mattc
post Jan 31 2017, 06:42 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(N.I.C.K @ Jan 31 2017, 06:49 PM) *

Thanks for the detailed report Matt, I'll echo what many others have said in that Clash of Kings was an absolutely awesome event. Big thanks to you, Tas and everyone else who had a part in organising.

FYI I didn't win all my games, I won 5 and drew 2.

Thanks Nick I just realised that too.
+Quote Post
Micky
post Feb 1 2017, 07:42 AM
Post #4

What is this now?

Member No.: 13,324

Was a great event, very well run and organised.

Suggestion for next year: get a megaphone, your announcements were hard to hear smile.gif

--------------------
Infinity: Onyx Force, Bakunin, Merovingienne, Imperial Service
KoW: Night Stalkers, Salamanders

Twitter: @Levialegions
Medium Blog: LegionsAU
+Quote Post
Stallandor
post Feb 1 2017, 09:49 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 306

Structure - needs to be 7 games.

Terrain - was indeed awesome. Second again as well the maps - its a good standard and variety across tables, has good variety, but also the maps mean that before each game, you could grab a tape, and make sure everything was in the right spot and not to far moved. Needs to become the standard.

Software - looks like most of the things we are asking for were either planned and didn't work, or were next in line for production.

Prizes - more than we deserved.

Winners - all the top players fighting it out on day it seemed to me - Clint was a well deserved winner.

Painting - I think I played against fully painted armies in every round, and I loved that almost all armies were fully painted. I gave my 3 point vote to Dan O'connors nightstalkers as I just think they are awesome - and he didn't place - that's how many awesome armies there are running around!

Clocks - These are mandatory for Kings of War. the "gameplay" itself is very straight forward in Kings, the timed aspect is necessary to both keep the game flowing, but also to create pressure for players across the game. 50min each way at 2k is perfect - and thanks to all who helped make clocks happen.

Lists - I thought that the Lists were, by and large, really good across the whole tourney. Nothing looked over the top to me, and only 1 list did I encounter that pushed that mark. When the new book comes out - I think the evenness and balance will be pretty amazing!

Megaphone - good idea.

Future
Matt running it is mandatory - you are now the chosen one. At such a large size I agree its hard to play as well - but I'd advocate for you to play as well in the future. its really your choice given all you are doing for us.

On the pack - I think the 20-0 is still a WFB hangover and like W/D/L more followed by Attrition DIFFERENCE not just how much you killed (even though I killed more than everyone else I think at the event) and if using 20-0 to use the breakdown we used at Masters not the pack. But if you have to use the official Mantic pack, then that's what you have to do I guess.

So I guess its finding out what the rules are around making changes to what is a clash of Kings official pack. But the truth is - Its not going to affect myself, or anyone else I think, from attending the event - its not that big a deal.

A big thankyou to all the sponsors! please keep sponsoring!

--------------------
Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile away, and have their shoes.

Check out the Australian Kings of War Rankings - http://oz-kow-rankings.appspot.com/region=2&game=5
+Quote Post
ratlady
post Feb 1 2017, 11:43 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 13,848

Is there a format that exists that will allow those of us who don't have the TTT software to see the lists? Really curious to see what everyone was playing with.
+Quote Post
BennyH
post Feb 1 2017, 11:50 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 16,780

TTT is a website so anyone can access https://www.tabletop.to/clash-of-kings-australia-2017/lists
+Quote Post
mattc
post Feb 1 2017, 11:51 AM
Post #8

QUOTE(BennyH @ Feb 1 2017, 12:50 PM) *

Thanks Ben
+Quote Post
ratlady
post Feb 1 2017, 11:51 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 13,848

QUOTE(BennyH @ Feb 1 2017, 11:50 AM) *

Oh. Sweet. Makes it easy then. tongue.gif
+Quote Post
DarthSabre
post Feb 1 2017, 11:52 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 12,556

QUOTE(ratlady @ Feb 1 2017, 12:43 PM) *

Is there a format that exists that will allow those of us who don't have the TTT software to see the lists? Really curious to see what everyone was playing with.

Its internet based - just go to here

https://tabletop.to/clash-of-kings-australia-2017

--------------------
Twitter: Darth-Celestant@darth_michaelc
My Blog : Darth's Miniature Wargaming Adventures
My KoW Journey: http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=181459
+Quote Post
Dru
post Feb 1 2017, 11:54 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 31

I'd love to see a Strength of Schedule list too. It's always interesting to see the submarines and the guys who got the toughest draws but still did super well.
+Quote Post
Neal b
post Feb 1 2017, 01:48 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 14,203

QUOTE(Stallandor @ Jan 31 2017, 11:49 PM) *

On the pack - I think the 20-0 is still a WFB hangover and like W/D/L more followed by Attrition DIFFERENCE

I am starting to come back round to this idea as well. With the 20-0 system, any army designed purely to kill will do very well. WM/H has demonstrated how having 2 victory conditions (scenario then caster kill) means that any player can do well by killing opponents key generals, but the best players win with scenarios.

May have to try it again at a future event to compare

--------------------
Mantic Games Pathfinder
Mantic homepage
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd September 2017 - 07:41 PM