Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Historical Gaming
Nigel
post May 27 2015, 04:53 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,617

I wandered into the clubrooms last Sunday to see what's happening there these days, with a view to playing some - mainly - one-on-one historical games. Apparently there is interest in non-FoW historicals, and Stan assured me that someone will be willing to play anything offered.

My interests have always followed the byways of history, rather than the mainstream. At the moment I'm able to do, in 15mm: the French Intervention in Mexico 1861 - 1867, my favoured rules being Black Powder, by Warlord Games; French North Africa (Arabs and Foreign Legion etc.), rules being either Battles for Empire, by Chris Leach, or Death in the Dark Continent, by Chris Peers. I also have an army for Peter Pig's fun, fast play game of modern Africa, AK47 Republic, but someone would need to collect an opposing army before games become possible.

In 20mm I can do the early phase of the Spanish Civil War. At the moment the figures are individually based, so they're suitable for skirmish gaming with whatever set you prefer. However I plan to rebase them for higher level games in the near future; rules yet to be decided.

In 28mm I have a decent-sized Darkest Africa collection, all individually based, with which I usually use Chris Peer's fun, easy 'In the Heart of Africa' rules - and about 40 painted individually based pirates, with which I've previously used Osprey's 'On the High Seas' by Chris Peers, but as they're skirmish figures I'm flexible about rules for this subject.

Further down the track I'll be able to offer Indian Mutiny (Black Powder), US Indian Wars ('Too Few to Fight, Too Many to Die', by Chris Peers), and Franco-Prussian War (Polemos), all in 15mm, and Mexican Revolution in 28mm using Contemptible Little Armies, by... yet again, Mr Peers (yes, I like his rules :-).

So, if any of this appeals please let me know your preference and I'll bring them along to the club. I can't game this Sunday, but I'll be free on 7/6.

Nigel
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Nigel
post May 29 2015, 09:31 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,617

Come on, boys! 29 views and not a single response? Not even a cautious enquiry! Isn't there anyone who's prepared to give it a try? What have you got to lose beyond a few hours of your time? Who knows... you might even enjoy it!

Have I encountered some sort of hitherto unknown archaephobia (fear of history)? And where are the ludically adventurous historical gamers of yore? Back in my day...

Sadly Stan, at this point your assurance is looking distinctly shaky; for me a case of suspicions confirmed, I'm afraid. I guess I'm just going to have to cast my net wider than the existing club membership if I want to play with my toys. If I have any luck you may yet see me (opponent in tow) down the track.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd September 2019 - 07:32 AM