Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Painting Commissions subforum

Please note: only current sponsors may advertise their services here.

Any member can post that they are looking for work, but only sponsors may reply to threads in this subforum. If you are interested in becoming a sponsor please send a PM to morsla for more information. The current list of WargamerAU Sponsors can be found here.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Looking for a painter hopefully brisbane based
Vanilla Dice
post Jan 26 2018, 08:35 PM
Post #1

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 2,326

Looking for someone to do some commision work for approximately a dozen malifaux models.... mainly 30mm based, 6 40mm and a couple of 50mm.

--------------------
A Malifaux addict..... have actually looked at it and there's only like 3 current masters that i don't actually own...... i think i might have a problem!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Vanilla Dice
post Jan 30 2018, 06:09 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,326

Wow none? Can anyone provide some recommendations?

--------------------
A Malifaux addict..... have actually looked at it and there's only like 3 current masters that i don't actually own...... i think i might have a problem!
+Quote Post
fraserk
post Mar 14 2018, 04:49 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 8,295

Same problem here - I honestly dont know of any comission painters remaining in Brisbane, it seems to be a dying art!
+Quote Post
Borzag
post Mar 14 2018, 05:01 PM
Post #4

BORZAG 2.0
Group Icon

Group: Staff
Member No.: 177

Best bet would honestly be to hit up OzPainters in FB. Not too many around in general, and of those, they won't be here (to put it bluntly).

Also VD you owe me some weights son biggrin.gif

--------------------
QUOTE(Bajau @ Nov 14 2007, 06:56 PM) *
Mate I'll pay MONEY to sit there and watch Jose get Whupped..Never seen someone lose which such style!
QUOTE(Big_al @ Nov 3 2008, 08:46 PM) *
The first rule about fight club is that you have to fight borzag
QUOTE(Wombats @ Aug 8 2012, 11:00 AM) *
Excuse me, I need to go change into tighter pants, there are some people in a ten mile radious who do not have intimate knowledge of my junk.
QUOTE(Borzag @ May 3 2013, 09:21 PM) *
it's now gotten to the point where I have a Pavlovian montage response: if montage music plays, I lift and/or burpees
+Quote Post
Honey Starr
post Mar 16 2018, 11:15 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 17,584

QUOTE(Vanilla Dice @ Jan 30 2018, 06:09 AM) *

Wow none? Can anyone provide some recommendations?

I go overseas for anything I want commission painted, try Unlimited Colours or Awaken Realms. Both do good paintwork, turn around will likely be 2-3 months though.

--------------------
AKA
Steve
Steve2
Ian
Someone who couldn't spell and had a hobby of making their own salt that people couldn't remember the name of
Jimmy
Blackrose (Penny?)
Shotgun
Fortis
Rice
+Quote Post
Deb
post Mar 18 2018, 12:44 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 5,112

QUOTE(Vanilla Dice @ Jan 26 2018, 09:35 PM) *

Looking for someone to do some commision work for approximately a dozen malifaux models.... mainly 30mm based, 6 40mm and a couple of 50mm.

I used to do commission painting for a group of friends - at mates rate. I had an ABN, and could actually make a modest side income from it while painting my own miniatures. Unfortunately, I have a full-time job where I work really long hours, travel over an hour to get to work, the another hour to travel home. living on my own, I then need to cook, shower, clean the apartment, and so on, without even looking at relaxation time.

Add to this the fact that the ATO have continually restricted the classifications contract hobby painters can use for their business, and the last business classification - "Other arts and painting" has now been removed, I can not claim undercoat, paint brushes, and other basics for painting.

Most people would not like the cost I had for "Mates Rates" I used to have for painting Battletech miniatures, which were of a high quality - chequering, hand drawn logos, tartan, and so on. I should have charges between $30 and $40 dollars a mini to cover costs, and the time I spent painting form my mates. I charged only $10 a mini, and most often I lost money just on the cost of the supplies used to paint the minis.

This is probably why you do not see as many people doing contract painting these days. That and their clients who they work for who are not their mates tend to be too demanding, and you can not exactly paint the minis the exact way they want them. They complain a lot, and you do not get repeat business, have to pack the minis so they do not get damages, chipped, etc, and put tracking on them. A lot of hassle and money invested for little of no profit.

I know of only one other person who did contract professional quality painting, but even she has now stopped since she has had children, and also become part-time store manager at the hall of Heroes.

Good luck finding someone. It is hard, my recommendation is to find someone to teach you painting techniques. There was a group of professional painters who would regularly meet at the Hall of Heroes to paint their minis and sometimes teach other people painting techniques. I have not seen them at the Hall for a while, but does not mean they still do not meet together regularly., or that you could not find some local to teach you painting.

This post has been edited by Deb: Mar 18 2018, 12:45 PM

--------------------
The world is chaotic, so why not join the party. Slaanesh welcomes you with open arms.

Epic Armageddon - Dark Eldar, Sisters of Battle, Squats, Emperor's Children, Vraks Renegades, Dark Mechanicum and Demons, White Scars. Orks (Feral, Gargant Big Mob, Warhorde, Kult of Speed), Sian-Hann/ Biel-Tan/ Iyanden (fully painted) Eldar, Chaos Titans, AMTL, and some knights.

60,000 points of 40K, mostly Emperor's Children Chaos Marine company with some Cultist. Sisters of Perfection Battle force (Slaaneshi Sisters), 30K Thousand Sons, 40K Thousand Sons, Adeptus Arbites and Tzeentch and Slaaneshi Demons and Night Lords Battle Company

Warzone Resurrection - Brotherhood, and Bauhaus all around 8000 points each - All up for sale.

Dystopian Wars - Covenant of Antarctica, Australians, and landing craft. All up for sale
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st July 2019 - 05:58 AM