Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Breakdown of the scoring, plus some feedback from me
Spakka
post Jan 16 2012, 10:36 PM
Post #1

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 4,363

Let me start by saying a big thank you to all the players and everyone else who helped out with the event. I was overjoyed to see us reach 28 players, especially after only having 5 players on my list just outside a week before the event.

Almost everything on the day went off without a hitch. The one and only problem we was when we were unloading the boards from the trailer in the morning. We were halfway through offloading the boards when we got hit with heavy rain by the time we got the rest of the boards undercover, one of our favourite boards was soaked through to the point where the glue was weakened and the flock started coming off. We couldn't use that board on the day but thankfully it can be repaired with a little bit of effort.

As for the games themselves, I found the progressing results were very interesting to watch over the day. As we entered round 4, there were easily 10 people who had a shot at a podium finish and I had no idea who was going to take out the event till the very end.

I had a couple of surprises for the final top 5 as well. Special mention to Dave Robinson - due to some family issues he showed up 20 minutes late for round 1, missed his first game and still managed to win all his remaining games to take out 3rd place with just 0.1 points behind second.

The other surprise was seeing Sam Jenkins take out 5th place with his Tau. The army was quite unusual, nothing like most Tau tournament armies these days - he wasn't running any of the usual optimized Tau units, he didn't even have disruption pods on the hammerhead. In the end he was let down only by his low paint score as the kroot units were only undercoated. Had he finished painting his kroot up to the same standard as the rest of his army, he would've had a final score of 70.75 points for 2nd place.

Anyhow, onto the scoring breakdown:

Battle:
Overall, I was quite happy with the scoring system of 11-3 for major win/loss, 9-5 for minor win/loss, and 7-7 for a draw. The bonus points were weighted so that in the event of a minor win, the losing player could never earn more battle points than the winner.

Achieving The Secondary mission was worth 2 points. Players weren't supposed to know this, but I slipped up a little and accidentally listed it on both the players pack and mission sheet. tongue.gif

Lastly, there were 5 bonus objectives to aim for during each game. Achieving 0-1 bonus points got you 0 points, 2-3 bonus objectives got you 1 point, 4-5 earned you 2 points.
The 'have none of your units within your deployment zone at the end of the game' objective was designed to encourage players to be a little more aggressive.

Overall, the maximum possible battle score for each round was 15 (before the comp modifier). I believe this system worked well and I will be using it again in any future events that I run. Will probably tweak the bonus objectives to be worth 0.5 points each though, and only run 4 of them rather than 5 - will keep the 'Kill most expensive enemy HQ', 'keep your most expensive HQ alive', 'kill most expensive enemy non HQ unit' and I might change the last one to 'have 50% or more of your starting number of models alive at the end of the game')

Comp:
I went with a very different approach for comp in this event. I feel comp is a necessary part of 40k, but at the same time, I believe the current system used for most 40k events is starting to fall apart in the 5th edition environment.

As far as comp normally goes, you rate the power level of the list but do not take into account the skill level of the player using it. A skilled veteran player with an army will receive exactly the same comp as a newbie player who is running exactly the same army, even if the newbie has little to no idea on how to use the army. The more skilled the player behind the army is, the harder it plays.

My goal with this trial 'comp' system was to rate both the army list itself whilst taking into account the skill level of the player using that particular army. To this end, instead of having comp form part of the overall scoring percentage as usually does, I went and merged comp into the battle score in the form of a modifier.

The core idea for this system is that:
1. Players who take a softer than average army will receive a small positive modifier. The more battle points you are able to earn each round, the larger the bonus you receive after the modifier is applied. As a result of this, those players who can continuously win games whilst using a softer army will receive even more points overall as a reward for their generalship skills. Players with softer armies who cannot manage to win their games will still receive a small bonus, but since they have fewer battle points, they will not benefit as much from the multiplier.

2. Players who take a harder than average list will receive a small negative modifier to their score. The more battle points you earn, the more you are hit by the negative modifier. This was to ensure that skilled players who were using harder lists designed to crush all opposition would take a larger hit to their battle points. On the other hand, when a less skilled player using a hard army is defeated by more skilled players, they will receive fewer battle points for that round and suffer less of a hit from the negative modifiers.

Scoring wise, the average army with a comp score of 5 had a modifier of 1.0. The comp modifiers increased or decreased in increments of 0.05 for every point of comp you had above or below 5. Harder armies received a negative modifier, softer armies received a positive modifier.

Modifiers were as follows: Comp 0=x0.75 modifier, 1=x0.80, 2 = x0.85, 3 = x0.90, 4=x0.95, 5=x1.00, 6=x1.05, 7=x1.10, 8=x1.15, 9=x1.20, 10=x1.25.

Overall, I think the system achieved what I wanted it to. As always with comp, it's never going to be perfect, but I think it has merit. Next time though I hope to be a little more accurate with the comp score for each army. There were a few armies which should have been a point higher than they were, whilst a couple of should have been a point lower.

On another note though, I was very glad to see a wide variety of armies on the day. We had lots of vanilla marine armies too, with both a scout heavy army and full biker list in the mix. The only armies we didn't see on the day were Orks, Tyranids and Sisters of battle.

(Hope the explanation of my comp idea was clear)

Sports:
I feel that the checklist system we used worked very well. Credit goes to Damien Carter for the wording and layout of the questions - it forced people to actually read them. biggrin.gif

Scoring wise, players would start each round with the max score of 2.5. Each tick for yes in any of the first 5 questions and each tick for no for the last question lost you 0.5 points, whilst every 2 ticks in the maybe column lost you 0.5 points down to a minimum of 0 points.

I was glad to see that at the end of the day, most players still got full sports scores.

Painting:
Painting scores were nice and simple. Scoring was based off a checklist method which was already stated in the players pack.

The checklist worked well, most people easily scored 11/15 or higher. The only people who scored less than this were those players who had a couple of unpainted models in their army.

Venue:
I was very impressed with our venue this year. We had more than enough space for 16 tables with plenty of room to move around between them. The hire cost for the hall was quite decent for its size and the community center manager was very friendly and helpful. We also had plenty of parking available which was a plus. All in all, a far cry better than Tuggerah hall and its dodgy owners who we had serious issues with last year.

Catering on the other hand was a bit of a let down. Sara lee wasn't a problem as long as you liked desserts, but I was a bit disappointed with the local convenience store. I went over there twice - once in the morning not long after they had opened and again at around 12:30 to let them know we were having a lunch break in about half an hour and that they might want to put some more pies and sausage rolls in the oven. Unfortunately they didn't seem to listen as come lunch time, I heard there was something like 3 pies and 4 sausage rolls to go around.

And I didn't realize at the time, but I believe the Chinese store around the corner near the bottle shop was open for lunch. I was under the impression that they were only open for the evening on Saturday but I saw at least four people walking around with chinese food during the early afternoon.

At any rate, I might see if we can organize to have a BBQ set up for a sausage sizzle lunch next year.

Any comments or criticism are welcome. Let me know if I did anything wrong or what you would like to see for next year.

- Dan

This post has been edited by Spakka: Jan 16 2012, 10:38 PM

--------------------
Crew Member of Team Pirate Gosford

Clan Nova Cat. Making your victories pyrrhic since 2807.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rat of vengence
post Jan 16 2012, 11:50 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 362

I was really happy with the day. It had a relaxed atmosphere for the most part, something sometimes lacking in the bigger Sydney events. I liked having the secondary missions and bonus points, I think it rewarded players who were able to keep them in mind.
The comp system is interesting, and on the few armies I can match player/army/comp score to, it seemed fair, if slightly heavy in places.

Cheers smile.gif

RoV

This post has been edited by rat of vengence: Jan 16 2012, 11:52 PM

--------------------
I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man...

Twin-linked gives you the ability to miss twice with a single shot weapon.

My Orcstralian Army blog, at the best O&G site; http://z3.invisionfree.com/Orc__Goblin_War...showtopic=23521

My children, also known as Destroyers of Hobby
+Quote Post
casperionx
post Jan 17 2012, 06:48 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 9,557

You did well lad, and I cant think of anything else to add to your self critique. Over all the event was great, and honestly, the minor points you mentioned would have only at best a very minor impact at best.

I'll be looking forward to you running the show next year! And possibly under 6th ed wink.gif

--------------------
The moral of the story is, "If we have to have Cpt. Useless (Belial), we might as well let him take a few bullets for us."

This is how to server beer - the 40k blog

For All my sales threads - Please note: - they are up for sale in other locations - I may choose who I sell to.

+Quote Post
Steeley21
post Jan 21 2012, 09:59 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 12,351

I can't really critique anything, as this was my first tourney(as you can tell by my placing lol) but I will say I enjoyed myself very much. I was dreading playing the veterans but after losin to 2nd and 3rd place I don't feel so bad.:-) all in all I feel it was a well run event with no noticeable hitches:) well done spakka I'm looking forward to 2013 with a vengeance. Dave Robertson your mine next year haha.

--------------------
Newcastle Legions represent

Infinity- Nomad Corregidor and Aleph
WHFB- Brettonians, Empire
Flames Late war Americans
+Quote Post
rat of vengence
post Jan 22 2012, 11:20 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 362

QUOTE(Steeley21 @ Jan 21 2012, 10:59 AM) *

I can't really critique anything, as this was my first tourney(as you can tell by my placing lol) but I will say I enjoyed myself very much. I was dreading playing the veterans but after losin to 2nd and 3rd place I don't feel so bad.:-) all in all I feel it was a well run event with no noticeable hitches:) well done spakka I'm looking forward to 2013 with a vengeance. Dave Robertson your mine next year haha.

You are on! Result regardless, the game was great fun! The second turn "Run away! Run away! was hilarious, though probably a bit frustrating for you and Lysander tongue.gif

RoV

--------------------
I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man...

Twin-linked gives you the ability to miss twice with a single shot weapon.

My Orcstralian Army blog, at the best O&G site; http://z3.invisionfree.com/Orc__Goblin_War...showtopic=23521

My children, also known as Destroyers of Hobby
+Quote Post
wynen11
post Feb 2 2012, 01:00 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 9,548

Will these results be added on RankingsHQ? (need to bump up my ranking...)

--------------------
Lords of the Garage: making up 5/16ths of NSW Masters since 2013
+Quote Post
Spakka
post Feb 9 2012, 02:46 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 4,363

Will these results be added on RankingsHQ?

Hmm, strange, they aren't on rankingsHQ....... I'm not sure what happened there, I'll upload them again tonight when i get home.

--------------------
Crew Member of Team Pirate Gosford

Clan Nova Cat. Making your victories pyrrhic since 2807.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2019 - 03:51 AM