> Trial 40K Composition System
Firefox
post Nov 12 2009, 08:10 AM
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Support Veteran
Member No.: 1,721

Hi Guys,

Many thanks to the Tumult players for trialing the new composition system. Below is a graph of your survey results, 100 responses, which indicated that you agreed it worked 71 times and 29 times felt it did not give a valid score.

IPB Image

Based on this I am encouraged enough to continue working on it and will expand the software to better handle the special factors that characters like Vulcan provide to their army which was a clear weakness in the Power Index generated for those armies. For those not at Tumult my software generates a "Power index" for an army automatically. This is then compared with your opponent for the game and depending on the difference you adjusted your starting comp score.

Example

Say your 2,000 point army has a power Index of 1,820 and your opponent has an index of 2,080 and both start with a composition score of 5. So there is a difference of -260 or 260/2000 ie -13%. and based on the difference table a 13% differnce falls in the 10% to 15% band so the 1,820 player gets +2 to the starting 5 ie 5 + 2 = 7, while the opponent gets -2 hence 5 - 2 = 3.

Hence if you take a high powered army and play another high powered army you both will score a 5 for that game, but if you play a low powered army you get a low composition score and they get a high composition score. I also need to broaden the banding as Tumult showed it was too narrow.

I think this takes the subjective " I got smashed by this army so therefore all armies like this must be uber powerful...and hence always score a low comp" away and it also takes the pressure off of the TOs as it gives them a consistent means to handle the differnce between the way people build their armies. Furthermore it takes away the guilt from players that want to use all of the specials available in a codex but know they will get called cheesy if they do because they know the composition is now handled in a rational way.

If any TO wants to trial this for their tourny around the mid or later Feb 2010 time send me a PM.

--------------------
Founding and Active Member of NSW Northern Knights Wargaming Club

Best Ranking RHQ 40K ranking 20th
Current Ranking RHQ 40K ranking 60th

TO for the Tumult 40K tournament
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Savark
post Nov 15 2009, 04:44 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,049

So how do we work out what our army power index is? i want to make sure mine doesn't have the lowest next year.

--------------------
Come to the New
http://warhammer40kfanon.wikia.com/wiki/Wa...mer_40,000_Wiki
This is a Warhammer 40,000 Fanon, a fanon is basically fan fiction about anything in the 40k universe, come in to the wiki and check it out
+Quote Post
Firefox
post Nov 16 2009, 10:55 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

QUOTE(Savark @ Nov 15 2009, 05:44 PM) *

So how do we work out what our army power index is? i want to make sure mine doesn't have the lowest next year.

Once I have the software that does the analysis refined with the changes based on the feedback I will advise players that submit their lists early enough of their Power Index so you can change it if needed.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ĆON
post Nov 16 2009, 11:08 AM
Post #4

Edition Change Skeptic

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 222

What basis is the 'power index' based upon?

Random number generators or a mathematical comp system?

--------------------

"Hail ĆON - Slayer of the Scrubs"

Full Disclosure - Yes, I really am that awesome :)

QUOTE(Kips @ Jan 16 2014, 01:53 PM) *

So essentially. Aeon is God? :P

QUOTE(Demon @ May 6 2014, 08:45 AM) *

Excuse me, this is high level RAW stuff.
+Quote Post
Firefox
post Nov 16 2009, 12:54 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

QUOTE(ĆON @ Nov 16 2009, 12:08 PM) *

What basis is the 'power index' based upon?

Random number generators or a mathematical comp system?

The latter and you have me intrigued by the idea of a RNG for this ... armata_PDT_08.gif I do use them for probability simulations.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 04:50 AM