Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> [KICKSTARTER] Battletech - Clan Invasion!!!
emplion
post Jul 23 2019, 11:14 AM
Post #41

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 2,795

They've updated the $1,000,000 stretch goals and have included 2 lance packs with 6 Comstar mechs in each one. Assuming these stretch goals are reached that will be it for miniatures being produced in this kickstarter, no further stretch goals will include minis.

Comstar Command: King Crab, Highlander, Black Knight, Exterminator, Hermes, Mercury.
Comstar Battle: Crockett, Flashman, Guillotine, Lancelot, Crab, Mongoose.

That just leaves the two Lance / Star rewards to be determined by feedback (rewards @ $850,000 and $950,000).

--------------------
Paul - boardgamer
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Monkey Nuts
post Jul 23 2019, 05:43 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 17,988

I have returned from Western QLD after a successful feral culling trip!!!

Well, I'm ecstatic at the progress the Clan Invasion Kickstarter has made while I was away...and I think the choice to cap miniature stretch goals after $1megazillion is VERY smart, it reduces the chances of time blow-outs and significant delays...they can always do another Kickstarter for further Mechs next year or the year after (and I have a sneaking suspicion that they will!!!)..with some other main expansion box set.

We've already been given access to some of our digital stretch goals...I've downloaded them just now and will peruse them more thoroughly later tonight...the artwork pieces look gorgeous!!!

I returned to a message in my Kickstarter inbox from CGL saying that they will be selecting an Australian Distributor...I'm guessing it will be announced before the end of the Kickstarter.

I hope we see as some of the stretch goals post-$1 million, the ability to purchase multiples of certain Mechs, that would be ace, like everyone, I have a handful of Mechs that are my favourite, and I would absolutely like to have at least 6 of each of those...
+Quote Post
Monkey Nuts
post Jul 24 2019, 01:59 PM
Post #43

The total has just crept past $970,000 USD...I reckon overnight tonight when the US are up and running next, it will have gathered enough cash to take it over the $1000,000 USD mark and we will gain access to another 12 x Inner Sphere Mechs...still waiting for the $950,000 USD stretch goal to be announced, I'm eager to see what Star/Lance that the fans chose to be that stretch goals miniature reveal???
+Quote Post
emplion
post Jul 25 2019, 11:35 AM
Post #44

It just broke the $1,000,000

--------------------
Paul - boardgamer
+Quote Post
Borzag
post Jul 25 2019, 11:56 AM
Post #45

BORZAG 2.0
Group Icon

Group: Staff
Member No.: 177

For those of us at the back:

Care to break down the whole Battletech thing? I've always been curious as to how this whole thing feels and plays, but never really heard anything other than complaints from outside the community. Some feedback from the keen people would be appreciated smile.gif

--------------------
QUOTE(Bajau @ Nov 14 2007, 06:56 PM) *
Mate I'll pay MONEY to sit there and watch Jose get Whupped..Never seen someone lose which such style!
QUOTE(Big_al @ Nov 3 2008, 08:46 PM) *
The first rule about fight club is that you have to fight borzag
QUOTE(Wombats @ Aug 8 2012, 11:00 AM) *
Excuse me, I need to go change into tighter pants, there are some people in a ten mile radious who do not have intimate knowledge of my junk.
QUOTE(Borzag @ May 3 2013, 09:21 PM) *
it's now gotten to the point where I have a Pavlovian montage response: if montage music plays, I lift and/or burpees
+Quote Post
Monkey Nuts
post Jul 25 2019, 01:41 PM
Post #46

QUOTE(Borzag @ Jul 25 2019, 11:56 AM) *

Care to break down the whole Battletech thing? I've always been curious as to how this whole thing feels and plays, but never really heard anything other than complaints from outside the community. Some feedback from the keen people would be appreciated smile.gif

Very basically, there are two main ways to play Battletech...Classic Battletech (CBT) and Alpha Strike (AS).

You use the same miniatures for both games.

Both rule sets can be played utilising hexes for range and movement, like a fold out paper hex map for instance, or hex-less utilising inches/cm for range and movement on a tabletop using 3D terrain pieces etc. like most other miniatures games do.

CBT is much more rules intensive, and slower playing than AS is (but no less fun), subsequently you can have more miniatures on the board when playing AS. For a gaming afternoon you might utilise around 4 Mechs per side for CBT whilst for AS you might have around 12 Mechs per side.

You have all the normal victory conditions and scenarios that you would find in other games, ranging from kill everyone to securing objectives, and you can of course use the rules to help create your own objectives and scenarios. The game supports campaign play very well and there is a Battletech RPG which can be used alongside CBT or AS if you like to do things like run a mercenary company and negotiate contracts in a setting run by a GM, for example.

You can choose to play in a number of different eras ranging from about the 25th century to the 32nd century and different Mechs and technology will be available during each of these different eras. The main unit is the Mech, but you can also use various other units ranging from Infantry right up to warships in orbit.

Three of the things I find most interesting about the Battletech setting are;

1 - You fight with giant war machines with enormously powerful weaponry and blow each other apart, occasionally scoring a good killshot, and

2 - Although the setting has alien lifeforms, like different creatures and plant life on different planets, it is free of alien life forms that have a structured society, government, economy, military organisation or spaceflight capability, it is essentially just humans doing there usual human things of war, politics, exploration, resource grabbing and desperately trying to survive by scratching out a living across around about 2000 colonised planets in an area of about a 500 light year radius from Earth (yes it is a 2D map and not a 3D globe), and there are a great number of different factions, and

3 - I find it closer to hard sc-fi than most other sci-fi franchises, that are really more sci-fantasy. Much of the technology in Battletech, is something that we either have now or could have now if we desired, other than the ability to make "Jumps" of about 30 light years in distance.

All the rules and a huge amount of associated material are available as purchasable PDF downloads from a number of places like Drive Thru RPG, or the CGL website etc. You can get most of the current stuff in hard copy too, but some of it is awaiting reprint.

Here's a good guide that a dude put together explaining the game;

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=44730.0

QUOTE(emplion @ Jul 25 2019, 11:35 AM) *

It just broke the $1,000,000

Yes!!! Fantastic news!!! The $1.5 million stretch goal will be fantastic!!!
+Quote Post
emplion
post Jul 25 2019, 02:07 PM
Post #47

In addition:

It's very similar to most other games
1) Initiative
2) Movement
3) Shooting
4) Hand to Hand combat

If you like Warmachine and marking off damage on you Warjacks this is very similar but much more complex. There are design rules for the all the vehicles (including mechs) and a robust point system to support it though there are online tools if you want to play non-standard designs but don't want to do all the maths.

If you can get along to a local game group and give it a try I expect your local club will have a number of dedicated players who are happy to organise a game with you.

Also - how many wargames do you know that have had multiple editions of rulebooks, etc, but where the rules basically haven't changed (since the mid 1980s !!!!). It's a solid game which you'll be able to come back to easily even with years break (it's what I'm doing) and I expect it will have a big renaissance in the next couple of years on the back of all the miniature development that is happening as part of this kickstarter.

This post has been edited by emplion: Jul 25 2019, 02:08 PM

--------------------
Paul - boardgamer
+Quote Post
MarkJ
post Jul 25 2019, 04:28 PM
Post #48

Kickstarter Addict
Group Icon

Group: Support Veteran
Member No.: 9,887

Does anybody remember the virtual pods that I think used to be at Jam Factory where you got to pilot mechs?
+Quote Post
Mango
post Jul 25 2019, 04:33 PM
Post #49

Member No.: 84

QUOTE(Borzag @ Jul 25 2019, 11:26 AM) *

Slow, complex and often tedious game but if you love it, you will love it smile.gif

I actually wonder how many backers have actually played the game. Do they really know what they are buying or are they just buying the name?

I know I am a bit of a negative nancy but I wonder how many people will receive their pledge, play the game and think 'what the hell is this' and dump them on ebay etc. lol

It will be interesting to see, I think it is great that it has so much interest and hopefully bring new people into a very stagnant game but I wonder if there is a cliff approaching for many backers.

I am going to wait and see if there are some bargains to be had at the other end of the kickstarter once the dust settles. But thats just me, I dont mind BTech but im not in love with it smile.gif
+Quote Post
Monkey Nuts
post Jul 25 2019, 05:31 PM
Post #50

QUOTE(MarkJ @ Jul 25 2019, 04:28 PM) *

Does anybody remember the virtual pods that I think used to be at Jam Factory where you got to pilot mechs?

I do, I played them a few times at a shopping centre in Parramatta, or somewhere near there...they still have them in the US, with all the updated hardware and the latest software, of course...
+Quote Post
Monkey Nuts
post Jul 25 2019, 05:41 PM
Post #51

QUOTE(Mango @ Jul 25 2019, 04:33 PM) *

I actually wonder how many backers have actually played the game. Do they really know what they are buying or are they just buying the name?

That's a fair point. I think X% of backers would have been drawn to the game from the recent HBS Battletech PC game (which is frikken awesome) and/or MWO, MWLL or through advertising of the upcoming Mechwarrior 5.

My thoughts are that if these people don't like Classic Battletech, they may very well like Alpha Strike, or the RPG, and also that these people will (or should have) checked out;

1 - the free downloadable starter rules for either Classic Battletech or Alpha Strike to get a feel for them, or

2 - purchased the very cheap full rule sets from Drive Thru RPG or similar to get a feel for the rules, or

3 - watched the large amount of Youtube videos on how the game is played, or

4 - perhaps even purchase the Beginner Box Set to try the watered down version of CBT (which is now a legitimate way to play and does away with a lot of the record keeping of CBT).

Also, by the conclusion of the Kickstarter, every backer will receive a free PDF of the rules...so if it's really not what they want, they can always back out of the Kickstarter after reading the full rules...

This post has been edited by Monkey Nuts: Jul 25 2019, 05:45 PM
+Quote Post
Monkey Nuts
post Jul 26 2019, 06:25 PM
Post #52

I've just ordered Thai take-away for the family, so I thought while I was waiting the 25 minutes before launching a retrieval mission, I would update the plastic Mech list we are seeing in this Kickstarter.

Also, my left testicle has a warm glowing feeling in it. The last time something like this happened, a Kickstarter I was backing announced an Australian Distribution Centre, however that was my right testicle...so I think we may be getting close...I'll keep you guys posted on any transitioning from left to right, as and when it happens.

Clan Invasion Box
Executioner
Timber Wolf
Nova
Grendel
Adder
2 x Points of Elemental Battle Armour

Clan Command Star
Dire Wolf
Stormcrow
Shadow Cat
Mist Lynx
Summoner

Inner Sphere Command Lance
Marauder
Archer
Valkyrie
Stinger

Clan Heavy Striker Star
Gargoyle
Mad Dog
Hellbringer
Viper
Ice Ferret

Inner Sphere Battle Lance
Warhammer
Rifleman
Phoenix Hawk
Wasp

Clan Fire Star
Fire Moth
Kit Fox
Cougar
Nova Cat
Warhawk

Inner Sphere Direct Fire Lance
Atlas
Marauder II
Orion
Crusader

Clan Pursuit Star
Fire Falcon
Arctic Cheetah
Hellion
Battle Cobra
Black Lanner

Inner Sphere Heavy Lance
Banshee
Grasshopper
Centurion
Hatchetman

Clan Heavy Battle Star
Turkina
Kingfisher
Crossbow
Ebon Jaguar
Huntsman

Inner Sphere Striker Lance
Blackjack
Panther
Wolfhound
Jenner

Clan Support Star
Kodiak
Supernova
Marauder IIC
Warhammer IIC
Hunchback IIC

Inner Sphere Fire Support Lance
Whitworth
Trebuchet
Bombardier
Longbow

Clan Light Fire Star
Howler
Solitaire
Incubus
Pack Hunter
Horned Owl

Inner Sphere Berserker Lance
Scarabus
Firestarter
Axeman
Berserker

Clan/IS ??? Star/Lance (this set of Mechs is currently being collated from backer poll)
???
???
???
???

Clan/IS ??? Star/Lance (this set of Mechs is currently being collated from backer poll)
???
???
???
???

Comstar Command Level II
King Crab
Highlander
Black knight
Exterminator
Hermes
Mercury

Comstar Battle Level II
Crockett
Flashman
Guillotine
Lancelot
Crab
Mongoose

Clan Elemental Star
Elemental Battle Armour Point

AGoAC Box Set + Beginner Box Set (you can also buy these Inner Sphere Mechs as add-ons sans the rest of the box set material)
Battlemaster
Awesome
Catapult
Commando
Griffin
Locust
Shadow Hawk
Thunderbolt
Wolverine

This post has been edited by Monkey Nuts: Jul 26 2019, 06:30 PM
+Quote Post
Kn'Thrak
post Jul 26 2019, 08:03 PM
Post #53

Member No.: 1,930

I've backed at the $95 level.

Time to break out my grey and turquoise.

--------------------
Please note, I can't receive PM's

I wish people would stop blaspheming comparing Lemmy Kilmister to God. He might be a decent chap, but he certainly isn't Lemmy.

QUOTE(jimjimjimmyjim @ Jun 20 2014, 06:31 PM) *

I'm really a bit clueless tho

+Quote Post
Monkey Nuts
post Jul 27 2019, 09:45 AM
Post #54

QUOTE(Kn'Thrak @ Jul 26 2019, 08:03 PM) *

I've backed at the $95 level.

Time to break out my grey and turquoise.

Sweet moves bro, I love your work!

What paint scheme/faction/merc company do you do with those colours?
+Quote Post
Monkey Nuts
post Jul 27 2019, 10:05 AM
Post #55

So, a new stretch goal is up, giving access to purchase the 5 x Clan Mechs from the Clan Invasion Box Set as an additional add-on for $25, which is fantastic, this means easier access to multiple Timber Wolf (AKA Mad Cat) Mechs!!!

It requires;

6000 backers (currently at 5176)
1000 Facebook Shares (currently at 816)
500 Twitter Re-tweets (currently at 434)

22 days to go, I think it is easily achievable smile.gif

Current funding is at $1,092,000 USD...I reckon it will break $2 million USD by campaign end!

Australia and New Zealand has a good showing so far...I think once they announce the Australian fulfilment/distribution centre, that the number of backers from our region will jump by a nice chunk!!!

Looks like Sydney has taken the lead from Melbourne, who held it for a while...

IPB Image
+Quote Post
Monkey Nuts
post Jul 27 2019, 07:32 PM
Post #56

We're doing fairly well with the stretch goal to have access to the 5 x Clan Mechs from the Clan Invasion Box Set...

1000 Facebook Shares required = Currently on 901
500 Twitter Retweets required = Currently on 463
6000 Backers required = Currently on 5216

...and we have 3 weeks to achieve those, easily done!

Also, some info was put up in the FAQ on the Kickstarter page regarding shipping. This assumes shipping for a country with a Fulfilment/Distribution Centre, which I am certain Australia will get.

"We are working to estimate that with different pledge managers and fulfillment companies. Here is what we've gathered so far:

Depending on the country, a STAR CAPTAIN pledge with a couple of small add-ons is looking to run about $20-ish. CGL pays the freight and VAT (when needed) to get it into the country. If the Mech Packs chosen necessitate a second wave, that would be $12-14 as well. So, worst case, around $30-34. but perhaps much better.

For larger pledges, and especially those who require a larger second-wave... Let's say STAR COLONEL with 8 Mech Pack add-ons (full set) 2 BattleMats and a half dozen faction packs to keep it interesting. This varies a lot more, but the average looks to be coming in at $27.50 (+/-$5) for the first wave, and $18.50-ish on the second wave.

Our goal is to get this locked down with hard costs very soon. but we wanted you to see what we are seeing. Please note: these are current estimates on average pledge. A lot of places charge per-piece handling fees so adding 24 sets of dice can skew the handling fees, but they are so light they hardly bump the weight costs.

As we know more, so will you!"
+Quote Post
Monkey Nuts
post Jul 28 2019, 10:57 AM
Post #57

I received my $95,000 stretch goal overnight, a second novella...so cool getting stretch goals given to you during and immediately after the campaign (all digital stuff that was prepared before the campaign started, of course)...

...also, as of this point in time, towards the stretch goal where the 5 x Clan Mechs from the Clan Invasion Box Set are made available as a separate purchase;

Facebook Shares = 1029/1000 -> Completed!!!
Twitter Retweets = 493/500
Backers = 5285/6000
+Quote Post
Monkey Nuts
post Jul 28 2019, 04:46 PM
Post #58

The next stretch goal has been reached and we are on our way towards the following one...also, the Facebook and Twitter requirements for the 5 x Clan Mechs from the Clan Invasion Box Set to be made available separately have been reached, just need the 6000 backers to fulfil that stretch goal.

Some more stretch goals up to, but not including $2 million have been added...

...and here's the latest update;

"We’re just about to head off to Gen Con! I like calling it the “bread and circuses” of our hobby. It really is an unparalleled spectacle. Even though every year it is a brutal death march to get there, I still love it.

However, it does mean a few things.

First, for the next week or so, we’re going to be pretty quiet online. The entire company heads there for eight days of all-consuming work, so we’re going to be a bit slow in responding to your questions. Apologies, but that’s simply the nature of running a huge booth at the largest North American gaming convention.

Second, when we posted the up-to $1.5 million stretch goals, we thought we would be safe. However, we can already see you’re once more blowing us away with your passion and enthusiasm. There’s an excellent chance you’re going to unlock those stretch goals while we’re gone. (Not to mention you've already knocked out two of the three items to unlock more Timber Wolfs...check out the Warhammer turntable at the bottom of the stretch goals!) With that in mind, we’ve added a few more stretch goals. As with the others above $1 million, these are a combination of expanding the experience for everyone, and including some fun in there.

Finally, we know there’s going to be a lot of in-person questions surrounding “Why Kickstarter?” And “you’ve raised a million dollars, you’re rich!” We’re happy to answer some of these questions in person, but I thought it would be useful to dive into the “why Kickstarter?” question in some depth here. Both for those attending Gen Con and for anyone who has already made a pledge or might yet back the Clan Invasion.

I love Kickstarter. It’s such a fantastic equalizer. It allows a person or group with the right drive to bring their vision to fruition. In our hobby, Kickstarter has allowed amazing games like Kingdom Death or Gloomhaven to exist. They are beloved by their communities, but they’re games that no sane company (even the largest in our hobby) would possibly have made due to the expense of creation and production, much less the eye-watering MSRP you’d expect to see on a store shelf.

Of course, the nature of crowdsourcing means that for every wild success, there’s a large swath of moderate successes, another of failures, and several epic catastrophes. Personally, I’ll take the catastrophes if it means we can experience the wild successes; games, visions and universes that may have never found an outlet any other way.

Which brings us around to our BattleTech: Clan Invasion Kickstarter. On the surface, none of that would seem to apply. BattleTech is one of the longest-running, most successful games in the history of our hobby. What’s more, we released two products very similar to the Clan Invasion box earlier in the year—the Beginner Box and A Game of Armored Combat—to customer and critical acclaim. (We’ve also managed to reprint them more rapidly than any other boxes in the last two decades and we’re still struggling to keep up with the demand…kudos to all of you for that fantastic enthusiasm.)

So then, let’s be clear. We called this the BattleTech: Clan Invasion to provide a great, thematic focus. The star of this campaign is the Clan Invasion box set. However, Catalyst Game Labs was capable of producing that box without turning to Kickstarter—in fact, the Clan Invasion box set is already well on its way down the path towards publication. What Kickstarter allowed us to do was expand the scope to include more of those wonderful miniatures that everyone is talking about.

Let’s take a moment to discuss some numbers.

Generally speaking, the manufacturer’s mold cost for a single miniature is around $2,000. That doesn’t seem too bad, right? Except, for our purposes, a miniature is never sold just by itself. So for the Star in the Clan Invasion box, that’s around $10k for just the molds. However, to create that mold, you’ve got the start-to-finish artist redesign cost, and then a “solid” CAD created from those orthographics, which moves the individual cost for each miniature to around $4,000. And we still haven’t even touched the cost of overhead, writing and developing, and layout of all of the paper elements in a box, much less the printing costs of those elements and the cost of the plastic itself. It all starts to add up quickly.

But again, as I said, we’ve got a handle on the Clan Invasion box. It was always going to come out next year and—I believe—do just as well, if not even better, than the Beginner Box and A Game of Armored Combat. However, those hard costs mentioned above—specifically the mold costs—create a hard barrier across which we cannot pass to make redesigns more quickly and get these new, high-quality plastic miniatures onto your tabletops in faster waves.

For example, if we wanted to produce the Clan Invasion box, plus two Star Packs (a total of 15 Clan ’Mechs), and an Inner Sphere response of say two Lance Packs (a total of 8 Inner Sphere ’Mechs), mold costs alone for those 23 ’Mechs would be in the neighborhood of $46,000. Once you figure in the other costs of redesign and CADs, it would approach $100,000. And again, that doesn’t cover any of the other costs that will pile on top of that ultimately doubling and tripling as you move it onto a store shelf and have to take into account all associated costs.

We could bear that cost…over the span of four to five years.

While we’re incredibly proud of the two new box sets and the presentation of the rules within, we know what’s driving the current interest are the redesigned miniatures—and we know the community is clamoring for more and more and more. Which is fantastic. I’ve worked on BattleTechfor over twenty years, and this may be the most excitement I’ve seen for the line in nearly all of that time. But that type of outlay of cash, that then must be tied up for long periods before the return on revenues will cover the costs, simply is not possible for us (and would not be possible for nearly any company in our industry).

And that is why we came to Kickstarter. As I said, this was never about the Clan Invasion box. That is simply the focus of this brilliant era of BattleTech action. Instead, this was always about you, the community, letting us know how many more miniatures you want us to redesign and produce in a much quicker timeframe. Would that be twenty? Fifty? More? And obviously, you wanted multiple DropShips of them! More than 90! Again…thank you!

Hopefully this answered some of the questions we’ve seen, and gets you even more excited for where the Kickstarter may go. For those heading to Gen Con, we’ll see you there!"
+Quote Post
Monkey Nuts
post Jul 28 2019, 08:04 PM
Post #59

Australia climbs into equal 4th spot with Germany...

IPB Image

This post has been edited by Monkey Nuts: Jul 28 2019, 08:04 PM
+Quote Post
Cyph
post Jul 28 2019, 08:23 PM
Post #60

Member No.: 360

I'm silly enough that I've backed it in at the Galaxy Commander level, early on in the piece as well.

Woe is my wallet.

BUT BATTLEMECHS!
+Quote Post

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th May 2020 - 01:52 AM