6 Pages V « < 4 5 6  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Night Stalker Army - all done; for now..., Updated 21 January - Scarecrows
HaggisMacbeth
post Sep 17 2017, 06:58 PM
Post #101

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 12,893

Instead of carrying my army around in a cardboard box I've put together a display board to make it look a bit nicer:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
BennyH
post Sep 18 2017, 08:17 AM
Post #102

Member No.: 16,780

Absolutely beautiful..... and at the same time creepy AF armata_PDT_08.gif
+Quote Post
Stallandor
post Sep 18 2017, 12:08 PM
Post #103

Member No.: 306

Fantastic!

--------------------
Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile away, and have their shoes.

Check out the Australian Kings of War Rankings - http://oz-kow-rankings.appspot.com/region=2&game=5
+Quote Post
Dru
post Sep 18 2017, 02:33 PM
Post #104

Member No.: 31

Amazing. Also, I am trying hard not to blink... I swear that statue got closer...
+Quote Post
fizgig
post Sep 18 2017, 03:26 PM
Post #105

Member No.: 789

Looks great!

The army really does look beautiful when shown all together like that. Really love the way the colours of the different units complement each other and the display board tie it all together.

--------------------
Mikecronesian Minister for Innovation

Argus Spam: Works half the time, all the time...
+Quote Post
HaggisMacbeth
post Sep 25 2017, 10:06 PM
Post #106

Thanks very much guys; creepy is what I was aiming for. Really need to crack on with some hounds now
+Quote Post
HaggisMacbeth
post Oct 18 2017, 03:13 PM
Post #107

Have finished off another unit for the Nightstalker army, a couple of troops of Shadowhounds, though I think I'm more likely to run them as a regiment. 200 points for a regiment is similar to a regiment of knights but my doggies only have TC 1 instead of 2 and de 4+ instead of 5+. However Nimble means if they can get into position to execute a flank charge their 40 attacks should go alright. Stealthy and Regen 5+ should also make them a bit tricky to clean up.

The minis I bought came in packs that ended up meaning I had 12. I realise 10 is in a regiment but rather than waste the minis and throw them away I just decided to paint them anyway and include them in the unit.

Shadowhounds
Huge, black, twin headed canines, with gnashing jaws and fur mattered with vile ectoplasm. Hunting in pack, those lucky to escape can still hear the howling in their heads long after they have awoken.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

This post has been edited by HaggisMacbeth: Oct 18 2017, 03:15 PM
+Quote Post
marius
post Oct 19 2017, 10:09 AM
Post #108

Member No.: 169

nice, very cool
+Quote Post
N.I.C.K
post Oct 19 2017, 02:06 PM
Post #109

Member No.: 5,981

So jealous of this army.

--------------------
QUOTE(Ehsteve @ Apr 9 2015, 01:56 PM) *

I have seen that word (fued, fu'ed, and all variants therein) many times in the past few months...what does it mean?

Adjective; Fued: The art of being inherently awesome, having excessive amounts of swag and generally giving zero farks.

Active member of the Infernal Muppets Gaming Club | Tweet @lecopoutking
+Quote Post
HaggisMacbeth
post Dec 6 2017, 12:01 PM
Post #110

Its been too long since I painted anything. I've been hobbying a bit but I find it all too easy to fall into assembling and undercoating new things rather than getting down into finishing painting things.

This was just a quick one, try and get me back on the painting horse.

Will be using these as Horrors. I'd like to paint some more Shambling units to make use of these guys and have an army that plays very different to the usual NS lists I run.

Horrors
These freakish and malformed beings were once a delegation of dwarfen stone priests that were on a diplomatic and academic exchange with the elven magic schools when catastrophe struck. Now only bearing a vague semblance to the esteemed and intelligent sorcerers they used to be, their warped and broken bodies channel the bitter winds of the shadow worlds.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
+Quote Post
marius
post Dec 6 2017, 01:11 PM
Post #111

Member No.: 169

Wyrd make some lovely models and you have done a beautiful job
+Quote Post
HaggisMacbeth
post Dec 6 2017, 06:19 PM
Post #112

QUOTE(marius @ Dec 6 2017, 02:11 PM) *

Wyrd make some lovely models and you have done a beautiful job

Thanks mate!
+Quote Post
HaggisMacbeth
post Dec 28 2017, 09:49 PM
Post #113

The push for Cancon is on! I wanted to do up three units in the final month and I've knocked over two. Going to do a bit of a surge-y army for Cancon so backing up my lonely phantoms will now be this brace of Butcher hordes. The army should have alot more staying power to the usual Nightstalkers I field that are much more shooty. Defence 5 Fearless 18 ain't no joke

Butchers
Butchers are uncompromising, unsubtle and brutally efficient killers. To many they appear as an horrific hybrid of ogre, golem and squid, with massive cleavers in their many hands covered in dripping gore.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Army ready to rumble for the tourney this weekend:

IPB Image
+Quote Post
Stallandor
post Dec 29 2017, 08:51 PM
Post #114

Member No.: 306

People should feel bad for killing these units and taking them off the table...

--------------------
Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile away, and have their shoes.

Check out the Australian Kings of War Rankings - http://oz-kow-rankings.appspot.com/region=2&game=5
+Quote Post
HaggisMacbeth
post Jan 3 2018, 10:12 AM
Post #115

QUOTE(Stallandor @ Dec 29 2017, 09:51 PM) *

People should feel bad for killing these units and taking them off the table...

Thanks mate! Although at the three game tourney last weekend I didn't lose a unit of Butchers at all. They were very survivable as expected.

Surge was excellent! I used it alot and got plenty of flanks and even a rear with the phantoms by hopping over a unit, turning around and then surging into their rear. I also used surge on a couple of occasions to charge a unit very close to the front of the butchers, but I'd first walk them out of some rough terrain they were on, and then surge the last inch into combat so I wasn't hindered.

I would love to be able to fit a Planar Apparition into the list to heal up the Butchers and get rid of annoying bits of damage they pick up from shooting, but I'm not sure that it is worth dropping the Shadow Hulk to get it
+Quote Post
HaggisMacbeth
post Jan 18 2018, 05:20 PM
Post #116

Another unit done for Cancon. I believe it is of dubious tabletop game quality but it was a fun project to work on and I look forward to attempting to use it in games.

Although it is Defence 5+, it is a war engine so everyone will triple their attacks against it. Fearless 18 means it might take some units a couple of rounds of combat to get through it, so it has a little bit of potential to act as a blocker (maybe between terrain features). But probably the only thing it really has going for it is it is only 80 points. Guess I'll find out in game one of Cancon blink.gif

Portal of Despair
Sometimes, when the powers of the Abyss are strong, the presence of the Night Stalkers rips a portal in the fabric of reality - a doorway between dimensions. The power of the Abyss is channelled through such rents that seethe and boil in the air, painful for mortals to see directly. At the edge of vision, the portal seems like a cage of glossy black and writing serpents, screaming in perpetual agony. Purple lightning crackles and dances across the rent flickering out and feeding the Stalkers with dark energy.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

This post has been edited by HaggisMacbeth: Jan 18 2018, 05:25 PM
+Quote Post
HaggisMacbeth
post Jan 21 2018, 12:41 PM
Post #117

Last unit for Cancon has now been banged out; phew. For these guys I decided to go with straight up Mantic zombies and went for the full complement of 60. I've seen other people try to do actual scarecrows or zombies with pumpkin heads. Hats of to those that do them, and I've seen some really nice units, but for me, they just aren't scary. I've really tried to pick models for the army that are nightmarish and hopefully frightening. I personally find the whole 'scarecrows are scary' thing to be a bit silly and don't think that they are nightmare worthy. Just plain old zombies for me.

The Mantic zombie kit was really nice, although I was surprised the whole thing is just one little sprue! It went together easy, but given the company likes to promote multi-basing, I really wish their models did not come on individual little round bases designed to slot into a square base. Cutting those off 60 models was a real pain and I would seriously think twice about buying more Mantic infantry that have them on it.

No one probably remembers but when I started this blog way back in May 2016 I said I would try to do all of the units in the army and would keep a running tally of which ones I've done back in the original post. I highly doubt anyone has noticed but I have been keeping that going. I'm pasting it up here as these Scarecrows are likely the last Nightstalker unit I'll do for quite some time. Its been a great army to work on and I'll certainly be playing games with them alot, but from a painting point of view I'm keen to work on some other projects this year:

Spectres
Blood Worms
Reapers
Dopplegangers
Scarecrows
Phantoms
Needle-fangs
Butchers
Shadowhounds
Nightmares
Fiends
Mind-screech
Shadow-Hulk
Planar Apparition
Terror
Screamer
Portal of Despair
Horror
Shade
Banshee
Void Lurker
Dread-fiend
The Dream Hunter

I didn't make it all the way through the army list but I've certainly given it a good crack. Thank you to everyone that has provided feedback and comments over the last 20 months, it really does help to get that engagement and it gives me a boost of enthusiasm to push onto new units, so thank you

Scarecrows
The zombie-like scarecrows are always right behind you, shuffling relentlessly and endlessly no matter how fast you run

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
+Quote Post
mikecro
post Jan 21 2018, 01:26 PM
Post #118

Member No.: 2,103

They look great (as does the whole army!). Looking forward to seeing your next project smile.gif

--------------------
QUOTE(Stallandor @ Feb 1 2017, 11:19 AM) *
Victoria has its MikeCro. All hail Mikecro, MikeCon, and the the state of Mikecronesia

Vagabonds Club
+Quote Post

6 Pages V « < 4 5 6
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2018 - 12:26 AM