Reply to this topicStart new topic
> HIGH ELVES (all NMM), Trying to get going + better pics now
dedhed
post Jun 26 2008, 10:14 AM
Post #1

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 2,591

Hi all,

I have played HEs for a few years now and while some may say they are OTT (not like last edition, thank god for rules creep), I really like the models and the set-up of the new book. Now I can run themed Hoeth and Chrace armies. I'm building the army so that with a change from two 15 man units of swordmasters and the three chariots, to two 15 man units of white lions and two lion chariots I can switch the two.

Also going for a Greek/ Trojan theme as you will see with the pics that are coming up.

Heres the list I intend to use, not really looking for people to pick it apart as I dont enter tourneys and have a group of regulars that I play with.

LORD

Prince with gem of Hoeth, great weapon, ring of fury, talisman and chariot. If playing the WLs list, this guy walks.

HEROES

Mage with dispell, seerstaff and level 2

Mage with dispell, jewel of dusk and level 2

CORE

Normally against take the min number of core have spent a bit on the two units

seaguard x 21 with shields and command.

seaguard x 21 with shields and command.

SPECIAL

Swordmasters x 15 with banner of sorcery and command. swap for WLs

Swordmasters x 15 with lion standard and cammand. swap for WLs

Chariot

Chariot

RARE

Bolt thrower

Bolt thrower

TOTAL: 2248pts

Hope to have some pics up shortly!!!

Thinking of snow bases to represent that they come from the mountains and are called in times of need. Not big on background but have some stuff in mind that I will go into later. More important that I get of my butt and do some painting than have a cool story but nothing painted. I think it will take a while but wanted to do something different and try and keep me going in the hobby!!!

This post has been edited by dedhed: Jun 28 2008, 09:25 AM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
lonehunter
post Jun 26 2008, 10:38 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 242

Look forward to tracking another HE diary, as I am finishing you are starting, good stuff, Mine is based on Chrace so this appeals to me more than a normal HE list, cant wait to see some pics.

--------------------
+Quote Post
dedhed
post Jun 26 2008, 11:09 AM
Post #3

Hers the first of the pics.

IPB Image
IPB Image

Having some trouble with the sword, I found it difficult to get the blending right on such a small curved area.
Added a lion cloak yesterday as a after thought(not that it does anything in this edition, as he is a mage would have been nice to give him some protection from missile fire.)

Not sure if I should do red or blue robes. I always do blue (went through a "blue period" once for about 5 years where everything had to have blue on it somewhere) but like the red as most other people do either white or blue robes.

This post has been edited by dedhed: Jun 28 2008, 09:11 AM
+Quote Post
dedhed
post Jun 26 2008, 11:10 AM
Post #4

And the bloody pics didnt turn out!!! Any help? Bit a novice with new camera.
+Quote Post
lonehunter
post Jun 26 2008, 11:22 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 242

I found macro pretty average until I got a really good camera and it has super macro so i can get in nice and close, just try heaps of different ranges from the model until you find one that makes the shot clear. Hard to say when i don't know what camera you have/ are using.

--------------------
+Quote Post
DancingPigeon
post Jun 26 2008, 01:24 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 3,926

Make sure you're using a tripod, and lighting the area well, and as lonehunter has said, play around with different distances from the mini.
+Quote Post
SteveFirth
post Jun 26 2008, 01:51 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 133

The grain of the paint on the wall behind the minis looks like it's perfectly in focus. Either that is the focal distance minimum for the camera, possibly modified by zoom (if you zoom the minimum focal dist increases). Or the camera has an autofocus which has chosen the wall as the target, not the mini.

Stick a ruler in front of the camera, place a mini every 10cms and take a pic in macro mode without zoom. See which mini is in focus, that's the focal length of the camera.

Use a tripod or sandbag to minimise vibration.
Use a lightbox, or take photos outside, not in direct sunlight.

Fill the field of view with the mini, crop or resize later as required, but get as many pixels across the detail you want to see as you can, resolution is everything.

Use a neutral grey back drop, or a colour that when viewed in black and white looks like neutral grey. This will set the auto exposure correctly for the mini. Otherwise use a dark backdrop for dark minis to emphasise highlights, white backgrounds for brightly painted minis to emphasise shading.

Good luck and show us the results,
Steve

--------------------
Holy crap, we have an entire town named after us? Do we get individual street names?

It's even in South Sudan, so it's probably a famine and war torn wasteland of human suffering. How appropriate.
-Magos Kasen
+Quote Post
dedhed
post Jun 27 2008, 10:22 AM
Post #8

new camera + noob user= ME. Thanks for the advice, will try today if possible but just discovered a gas leak so may take longer! EEK!!!
+Quote Post
SteveFirth
post Jun 27 2008, 10:31 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 133

Some examples
Outdoor photobox
IPB Image IPB Image

Above photobox on dark mini vs Large sheet blue card on ground outside
IPB Image IPB Image

Note the highlights are more visible on the black mini with the black background, but the brighter paint on the head is too bright, looks better with the blue background, but you lose the highlights.

Steve

This post has been edited by SteveFirth: Jun 27 2008, 10:34 AM

--------------------
Holy crap, we have an entire town named after us? Do we get individual street names?

It's even in South Sudan, so it's probably a famine and war torn wasteland of human suffering. How appropriate.
-Magos Kasen
+Quote Post
dedhed
post Jun 28 2008, 09:13 AM
Post #10

Thanks for going to all that to help out. Very grateful. Old pics gone and a couple of new ones that are getting better! Dont think I can batch paint them. I just got some of the new washes but arent really sold on them, seems I can get pretty much the same effect by watering down regular paint with a scorched brown base and work up from there. I have 79 infantry and 5 warmachines, got to keep it going or I will stall and start ANOTHER army that wont get finished either.

This post has been edited by dedhed: Jun 28 2008, 09:17 AM
+Quote Post
tartanarmy
post Jun 29 2008, 12:29 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 617

yeah, follow the pic advice, cause you may have a good looking mini, but no one can see it!!

--------------------
'I see lead people'

"Sad to say, Calgar got poked more times than a Kings Cross Hooker on a Saturday night. He got Fu@ked."

Commission me to paint your models, and give me money. Just PM me for details.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th November 2017 - 12:23 PM