Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What was popular at Cancon 2018, What's hot this year?
MarkC
post Feb 6 2018, 03:24 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Support Veteran
Member No.: 1,849

As always I was unable to get to Cancon but interested in what the numbers were like for different gaming systems.

In What was played at Cancon 2017 we see that in 2017 the most popular systems were Warmachine & Hordes (106), Warhammer 40K (80) and Kings of War (61); whilst the most popular historical systems were Bolt Action (60) and Flames of War (40).

In Cancon Numbers the top three for 2016 were Warmachine & Hordes (141), Flames of War (84) and Kings of War (56); and the most popular historical systems were Flames of War (84) and Bolt Action (51).

In What was popular at Cacnon we have the top three for 2015 were Warmachine & Hordes (140), Warhammer Fantasy (119) and Warhammer 40K (91); and the most popular historical systems were Flames of War (55) and DBA (26).

(For the information in tabular form, check out What was played at Cancon)

So what were the figures for 2018?

Regards

Mark C

This post has been edited by MarkC: Jun 7 2018, 08:55 AM

--------------------
Currently working on:
(ADLG) 15mm Carthaginians

Would play if I had time:
(FoW) Australian Rifle Company (EW/MW): 1500 pts / 200+ pts
(FoW) Deutsches Africa Korps (EW/MW): 1500 pts / 200+ pts
(FoW) Canadian Rifle Company (LW): 1750 pts
(Saga) Vikings

Packed away:
(WFB) 2600+ pts Dwarfs
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
MarkC
post Feb 18 2018, 04:37 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

No central source of figures but what I have found from various searches

157 players: Warhammer 40K 129 at Cancon 2018 40K ITC Tournament plus 28 in Friendly (Refer Psyche's post below)
104 players: Age of Sigmar, Call of Glory
80 (approx): War Machines and Hordes (based on max of 64+32 and number of unsold tickets)
70 players: Kings of War
70 players: Infinity (refer VisOne's post below)
65 players: Bolt Action (Refer Psyche's post below)
31 players: Flames of War
26 players: DBA
25 players: Epic Armageddon (Refer JumpingJehovah's post below)
22 players: ADLG (Refer MBWilliam's post below)
12 players: Team Yankee
12 players: FoGN (Refer MBWilliam's post below)
12 players: Chain of Command

The list of events can be found at https://www.festivaldirector.com.au/events/cancon/.

Regards

Mark C

This post has been edited by MarkC: Jul 16 2018, 08:29 AM

--------------------
Currently working on:

(Saga) Vikings

Packed away:
(WFB) 2600+ pts Dwarfs
+Quote Post
Blackhearts Reaver
post Feb 19 2018, 08:39 AM
Post #3

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 446

That is an interesting turn around Mark C.

Looks like 8th edition 40K is to many peoples liking. What happened to Bolt Action? some big rules change or just no one to run it?

3rd ed Warmachine ruleset combined with 8th ed 40K has really had an impact in the SE QLD scene as well......

--------------------
Run local tourneys, Make terrain. 75,000+ pts...Play 1-3 games a week...(40K,BFG,BB,FoW).
Good Trader +149 .....QLD Masters: 1st/14(Tau), 1st/12(Daemons), 4th/15(Daemons), 1st/16(Orks), 2nd/15? (IG), 6th/22(Eldar).
AUS ranking=briefly No.1. :) ATC2011=QLD team ChampionsATC2012=QLD 5th
Retired from Competitive play sometime early? 2013

Try to be positive and help... not negative and tear things down.

"I passionately believe that's it's not just what you say that counts, it's also how you say it - that the success of your argument critically depends on your manner of presenting it." Alain de Botton
+Quote Post
Krefey
post Feb 19 2018, 09:20 AM
Post #4

Authoritarian Forum Dictator
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 98

QUOTE(Blackhearts Reaver @ Feb 19 2018, 09:39 AM) *

That is an interesting turn around Mark C.

Looks like 8th edition 40K is to many peoples liking. What happened to Bolt Action? some big rules change or just no one to run it?

3rd ed Warmachine ruleset combined with 8th ed 40K has really had an impact in the SE QLD scene as well......

People were playing Bolt Action. There was definitely a tournament as one of my mates won it.

--------------------
www.celestial-lions.net

Laser Shark Designs
Webstore
Offering custom laser cut goods for your gaming needs :)
+Quote Post
MarkC
post Feb 19 2018, 04:10 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

My list of events was just based on what I could find by doing Google searches of Cancon 2018 and various event names.

With respect to Bolt Action, from the event list I could see that there were 10 tickets unsold, but not what the original ticket limit was. Google also found the listing on the Warlord site, but once again no details about the player limit.

My biggest surprise was the recovery of Age of Sigmar. Two years ago there were twice as many players playing Kings of War than WFB, last year there were 20% more players in Kings of War than Age of Sigmar, this year Age of Sigmar was well ahead.

I guess the 40K story vs WM&H is similar, but I haven't played 40K in six years so I didn't really notice. (I haven't played WFB in a similiar time but I still have a WFB army and I sold off all my 40K armies).

My main interest these days is historical games, and I keenly seek out the numbers playing the different systems at CanCon. I have a burning curiosity for questions such as:
  • What is the most popular 15mm ancients ruleset?" (DBA vs ADLG vs S&S vs Impetuous [noone seems to play FoG any more])?
  • Is anyone playing Napoleonics at tournaments, and if so what ruleset (FoG:N, NaW, OTH, Lasalle)?
  • What is the most popular WW2 ruleset and scale (Flames of War in 15mm, Chain of Command in 20mm, Bolt Action in 28mm)?
  • How popular is SAGA (28mm Dark Ages skirmish game)?

Ideally one of the organisers will see this thread and post the numbers of tickets sold for each event. Otherwise I am just hoping individuals can feed me data piecemeal.

Regards

Mark C

--------------------
Currently working on:

(Saga) Vikings

Packed away:
(WFB) 2600+ pts Dwarfs
+Quote Post
VisOne
post Feb 19 2018, 06:26 PM
Post #6

Combat Simian

Member No.: 12,758

Infinity at Cancon 2018 - The Saraswati Affair a 2 day ITS event was 70 odd players and was a Satellite Tournameant which guaranteed the winner a spot at the INTERPLANETARIO which is the big company run event in Spain.

Corvus Belli even produced a pre-recorded video to be shown at Cancon.

So again Infinity grew, increased its numbers and even got not only backed by the company but actively had content made just for us.

This post has been edited by VisOne: Feb 19 2018, 06:27 PM

--------------------
What I do: Chef by trade, arsehole by choice; but I play games and build the following when I'm not being either.

Vissy's Threads: Aeldari Done Cordonblue, Tries to Count to Infinity, Bug Hunt Corridors, Takes on Zen Terrain, Haydens Folly Table & Making Terrain on Budget
+Quote Post
Psyche
post Feb 20 2018, 07:10 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 2,735

There was also the second 40k event to include in the total 40k numbers, the 'Friendly'.

From memory there were I think 15 tables. I think it was one table spare so 28 players to start, but then some people dropped out of the tournament and asked to come join in the friendly. That wouldn't affect total numbers in the genre though.

Also, with Bolt Action the last update I remember seeing on the Facebook group before Cancon was a player cap of 70 with only 5 spots left.

This post has been edited by Psyche: Feb 20 2018, 08:33 AM

--------------------
there are no bad choices if it has "Elves" in the title.

There are only bad people....and they play Elves
+Quote Post
MBWilliams
post Feb 20 2018, 03:00 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 12,290

QUOTE(MarkC @ Feb 19 2018, 05:10 PM) *

My list of events was just based on what I could find by doing Google searches of Cancon 2018 and various event names.

With respect to Bolt Action, from the event list I could see that there were 10 tickets unsold, but not what the original ticket limit was. Google also found the listing on the Warlord site, but once again no details about the player limit.

My biggest surprise was the recovery of Age of Sigmar. Two years ago there were twice as many players playing Kings of War than WFB, last year there were 20% more players in Kings of War than Age of Sigmar, this year Age of Sigmar was well ahead.

I guess the 40K story vs WM&H is similar, but I haven't played 40K in six years so I didn't really notice. (I haven't played WFB in a similiar time but I still have a WFB army and I sold off all my 40K armies).

My main interest these days is historical games, and I keenly seek out the numbers playing the different systems at CanCon. I have a burning curiosity for questions such as:
  • What is the most popular 15mm ancients ruleset?" (DBA vs ADLG vs S&S vs Impetuous [noone seems to play FoG any more])?
  • Is anyone playing Napoleonics at tournaments, and if so what ruleset (FoG:N, NaW, OTH, Lasalle)?
  • What is the most popular WW2 ruleset and scale (Flames of War in 15mm, Chain of Command in 20mm, Bolt Action in 28mm)?
  • How popular is SAGA (28mm Dark Ages skirmish game)?
Ideally one of the organisers will see this thread and post the numbers of tickets sold for each event. Otherwise I am just hoping individuals can feed me data piecemeal.

Regards

Mark C

There were, I believe, 22 playing ADLG and about 12 playing DBM. I don't know Impetus or DBA numbers and I don't think SandS was played. ADLG would seem to be the most popular competition ancients set at the moment.

FOGN was played in 15mm with 12 players (what I played) and there was also WRG in 25mm but I don't know how many players they had.

I was told Bolt action had some last minute drop outs but still had about 60 players in 28mm. Would have to be the most popular WWII system. Chain of Command (28mm) was there with their beautiful terrain but not a huge group of players. The number of Flames players seems to have declined radically in recent Years.

Martin
+Quote Post
JumpingJehovah
post Feb 20 2018, 08:04 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 53

25 players for Net-Epic Armageddon

Kendall
+Quote Post
Krefey
post Feb 21 2018, 03:27 PM
Post #10

Authoritarian Forum Dictator
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 98

QUOTE(MarkC @ Feb 19 2018, 05:10 PM) *

ever since GW released the General's Handbook, Age of Sigmar has been doing extremely well. Despite the nay saying of certain groups of players.

--------------------
www.celestial-lions.net

Laser Shark Designs
Webstore
Offering custom laser cut goods for your gaming needs :)
+Quote Post
Hos
post Mar 1 2018, 01:44 PM
Post #11

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,884

Hello, just wondering if any of FFG's miniatures games were played at Cancon: X Wing & Runewars
+Quote Post
marius
post Mar 1 2018, 03:17 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 169

QUOTE(VisOne @ Feb 19 2018, 07:26 PM) *

Infinity at Cancon 2018 - The Saraswati Affair a 2 day ITS event was 70 odd players and was a Satellite Tournameant which guaranteed the winner a spot at the INTERPLANETARIO which is the big company run event in Spain.

Corvus Belli even produced a pre-recorded video to be shown at Cancon.

So again Infinity grew, increased its numbers and even got not only backed by the company but actively had content made just for us.

That is increadible and something I would love to see other companies do.
+Quote Post
VisOne
post Mar 2 2018, 10:31 PM
Post #13

Combat Simian

Member No.: 12,758

QUOTE(marius @ Mar 1 2018, 03:17 PM) *

That is increadible and something I would love to see other companies do.

Yeah CB has being stoked about the quality of the event/s run at CanCon for years now. This was the first year we had a video created for us but all years previously they have being very generous with prize support.

Its great to have the company so active with the community/s in general.

Hell we are even written into the book we have our own Combat Group called the Red K.

--------------------
What I do: Chef by trade, arsehole by choice; but I play games and build the following when I'm not being either.

Vissy's Threads: Aeldari Done Cordonblue, Tries to Count to Infinity, Bug Hunt Corridors, Takes on Zen Terrain, Haydens Folly Table & Making Terrain on Budget
+Quote Post
MarkC
post Jul 16 2018, 08:29 AM
Post #14

Group Icon

DBA had 24 players each day, with a total of 26 players across the two days. Refer http://fanaticus.boards.net/thread/946/dba-cancon?page=2.

Chain of Command had 12 players. Refer http://2018cancon-chainofcommand.blogspot....18-wrap-up.html

--------------------
Currently working on:

(Saga) Vikings

Packed away:
(WFB) 2600+ pts Dwarfs
+Quote Post
AoS_Coach
post Jul 16 2018, 01:36 PM
Post #15

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,972

QUOTE(MarkC @ Feb 18 2018, 04:37 PM) *

No central source of figures but what I have found from various searches

104 players: Age of Sigmar, Call of Glory

Something worth calling out too is that Age of Sigmar at CanCon had a higher attendance than LVO which happened at the same week in Las Vegas.

The Age of Sigmar scene is thriving post-Generals Handbook.

--------------------
Play Age of Sigmar in Sydney, Australia? Meet local players, schedule games, and join the discussion at Warhammer Age of Sigmar - Sydney.

Tickets are on sale for Sydney Grand Tournament, an Age of Sigmar matched play event at MOAB 2018! Find out more info in the Sydney GT Facebook event...
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st September 2019 - 03:26 PM