Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Beginning Malifaux, in Sydney, What do I need and where should I start?
deneg88
post Oct 13 2016, 05:09 PM
Post #1

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 6,528

So after a few months listening to podcasts about Malifaux (thanks to Red Jokers for getting me interested, after The Dwellers Below stopped), I want to take the plunge and actually start playing, building and painting a crew.

So what I'd like to know is, what exactly do I need to play? Just the base rulebook, or will I need all the expansions? Or just some expansions?

If I ever manage to decide what crew/faction I want, will that box have all the info I need to use those models, or will I need something else?

Also where would be the best place to learn how to play, in Sydney? I'm in Beverly Hills in Sydneys South.

Thanks for all the help!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Turelio
post Oct 13 2016, 05:17 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 3,622

There are regular meetups at Parramatta, Penrith, Miranda, and the City that I am aware of with people able to walk you through the rules. I run Malifaux nights and events out of Parramatta.

Starting wise, the core rulebook is a good start, and when you buy a model(s), it will have the start cards an appropriate upgrades for them, apart from some generic ones. You'll also need a fate deck of some kind. I'd recommend starting small, figuring out what you like with your crew in terms of playstyle and how it works, and then build up from there once you understand the models uses and tricks.

--------------------
Blog | CMON | Twitter | OzPainters | FB Painting Blog
I once tried to get Pandora to melee Killjoy... Sometimes I still have nightmares about what happened next...
+Quote Post
deneg88
post Oct 13 2016, 07:23 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 6,528

Thanks for the information!

I'm probably, for better or worse, going to ignore your recommendation to start small. I basically want two crews/factions, so I can try and convince my mates I play boardgames with to give Malifaux a go (they have never played a tabletop game however....)

So I want 2 factions to use against each other. This may also help my inability to decide what to get, I just like way too much stuff! Probably not though, I can't decide between 4 factions haha
+Quote Post
fued
post Oct 13 2016, 07:25 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 12,343

theres a new 2 player starter set i think, that might be a good start?
+Quote Post
ralphy
post Oct 13 2016, 08:13 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 16,338

You don't necessarily need to get 2 factions to start, if you got 2 crews from the same faction they could still play against each other

Also you can use a normal deck of cards with jokers as a fate deck, you will just need to assign a faux suit to each normal suit (it is talked about in the rule book)

In terms of rules the mini rule book, $15 on the combat company, should be a good start
+Quote Post
Turelio
post Oct 13 2016, 08:37 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 3,622

The mini rulebook is also free on drive thru rpg if you want a PDF version to check it out.

Yeah, I understand the "ignore the start small part" smile.gif

--------------------
Blog | CMON | Twitter | OzPainters | FB Painting Blog
I once tried to get Pandora to melee Killjoy... Sometimes I still have nightmares about what happened next...
+Quote Post
ArcticPangolin
post Oct 14 2016, 08:52 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 8,002

If you're looking at the big books down the track, as well as having story fragments, stat cards and flavour text for models, the first one has the rules, the second one (Crossroads) has a whole lot of special scenarios to play, the third one (Shifting Loyalties) introduces campaign play and I have gotten the fourth book (Ripples of Fate) yet.

--------------------
QUOTE(snitter @ Jan 11 2016, 01:50 PM) *

Because the Crossroads Seven is the unholy offspring of "Scooby Doo" plus "Josie and the Pussycats". Why don't they have a naff talking animal and a groovy van to travel around in, solving mysteries and sh*t?
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd November 2017 - 07:33 PM