> Dragon Rampant, Intro games
b20f08
post Feb 25 2020, 04:39 PM
Post #41

Ten Guitars
Group Icon

Group: Support Veteran
Member No.: 6,935

Planning on playing out Scenarios 7 and 8 of our campaign. Will post batreps shortly thereafter. And a bit of CE too. Cheers.

--------------------
"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing!" for Spike Milligan, Dave Chapelle & Charles Bukowski
"Life without regrets is no life at all" Yip Man
"If you lack technique you lose the freedom to create" Paco de Lucia
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
b20f08
post Mar 1 2020, 09:54 AM
Post #42

Ten Guitars
Group Icon

Matchup was postponed yesterday due to external circumstances outside our control. One minor change: the Tournament scenario (#8) has been upgraded to being scenario #12. As opponent suggested, it's better suited to being the finale of our campaign. Another suggestion would be the best ranking warband among one's retinue is promoted to this finale match. Lol. Aren't we bloody-minded? armata_PDT_14.gif

--------------------
"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing!" for Spike Milligan, Dave Chapelle & Charles Bukowski
+Quote Post
b20f08
post Mar 18 2020, 08:21 AM
Post #43

Ten Guitars
Group Icon

Been laid low by a very persistent chest infection. Coincidental but assuredly not the COVID-19 virus. On a very slow mend. Looking forward to resuming the campaign soon.

Have finished writing up both freeboard scenarios #10 (Chariots O'Fyah) and #11 (The Enemy Within). Already published them on our group's facebook page. Hoping for general release soon. As stated above, scenario #8 is now #12 (The Tournament) so will need to draft a replacement. Scenario #9 was also released the same time as The Tournament scenario. This completes the twelve games of our inaugural DR campaign. Already seeing a lot of changes for the next season.

Accompanying our DR games will be the usual CE aerial shenanigans with what is turning out to be our regular foes, the Fox (in his tough little DH-2) and the Hound (persistent in his Fokker E3).

Wanting to finish this campaign off so we can start our new FoGN 2 (Napoleonics) competition league using a borrowed ranking system employed in chess. It commences July and will run year-long as well. Open to locally-based players. Hope to see you there. Cheers.

This post has been edited by b20f08: Mar 18 2020, 08:22 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
b20f08
post Mar 18 2020, 10:44 AM
Post #44

Ten Guitars
Group Icon

Finished replacement scenario #8. It's called Bankers Trust. It's partially listed in the current updated War Diary available on my blogsite. Learned not to upload files as people can still access the upload file even if not published. Tricky dickies out there. Slow mo me. Lol.

--------------------
+Quote Post
b20f08
post Mar 19 2020, 03:25 PM
Post #45

Ten Guitars
Group Icon

Scenarios #8, #10, and #11 available now through my blogsite. Cheers.

--------------------
+Quote Post
b20f08
post Apr 26 2020, 08:00 PM
Post #46

Ten Guitars
Group Icon

Season 2020 is recruiting now. Register here. Locals only. League starts 1 July. Campaign booklet will be made available from June 15 to those who registered here (free entry) or PM me.

This post has been edited by b20f08: Apr 26 2020, 08:00 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
b20f08
post May 4 2020, 08:14 PM
Post #47

Ten Guitars
Group Icon

Gidday! Thanks to the relaxing of lockdown, we finally enjoyed a couple of tabletop games. Scenarios #7 (Treasure Hunt) and #11 (Infected) were played today. Both went extremely well, better than I expected actually. The results were less important than enjoying tabletop gaming again...and the Baileys. Opponent used to work as a barman and has come up with a new drink to try with Baileys. Definitely going to get a run when we meet up again to run the next scenarios in our campaign.

IPB Image

--------------------
+Quote Post
b20f08
post May 19 2020, 02:26 AM
Post #48

Ten Guitars
Group Icon

Not sure when our next scheduled gaming day is happening; tend to play these events by ear for the most part. Been busy anyway with Factorio. I have played nothing but Factorio for the entire past week. Alredy clocked over 80 hours. Tapering interest now. Haven't blasted off the planet yet. Just enjoying taking on the aliens with my trusty rocket launcher and a whole lot of mines. Makes for a very very slow game...and the game map is slowly bleeding red. Not advanced technologically enough to have laser turrets but the flamethrower turrets are a blast!

Back to Dragon Rampant...

The Treasure Hunt game proved interesting insofar as deployment was randomly achieving rolling d12 for respective table edge. Deployed alternately with attacker going first followed by defender. Advantage therefore in deployment rested with the guardians of the stash. Nasty hobbits...oops goblins!

I chose my High Elves thinking their speed (mounted knights and light riders and skirmishers) might offset the peril of assaulting the defensive perimeter. Well, that was the plan. Everything (as it usually does) tends to fly out the door like a noted US leader's credibility once the models are advanced by their respective owners. In my brief post-batrep I gave a bare outline. Not wanting to retread old stomping ground, I will instead focus on the merits of the scenario created. Firstly, it was a hit with my opponent who also contributed to the design. The finer details were quickly worked out and sort of went according to design. I would make the modifications in the victory point allocation. Therefore, the stash can be variable. We originally went with three treasure items but the way the game unfolded, that quantity can be modified. Bear in mind, my opponent had seven units to my four (again!) which kind of made it hard to "overwhelm" my opponent. Also, the Baileys was clouding the general thought process, as it does.

The outcome was tight right up to the conclusion when I guess I realised I had an objective, and deliberately scarpered with one bundle of treasure thus securing one of primary objectives. The Elvish foot stayed behind as a valiant sacrificed rearguard much to the delight of the goblin warlord who zapped away to his blackheart's content.

The Infected was a simple creation. My opponent loves the fun of zombies, and I wanted to incorporate that in one of the scenarios. It took only three minutes to write up. And, boy, did it work magnificently. My opponent was reluctant to field his beloved stumpies but I pointed out that playing his as-yet untested Undead seemed moot, ie, the impact is so much more delicious when it's the living that turn into these gibbering maniacs with a one-speed appetite! I sacrificed my Beasties cause steak on the run sounds so much more appetising, don't you think? Lol.

The jump portal idea was a natural no-brainer (excuse the pun) for this scenario. And both leaders tried desperately to make it happen as we rapidly lost those units not infected (one apiece). Only when it was just our two leaders left did the Gods graciously permit magick to happen. I rolled the portal and quickly exited leaving my opponent's leader stranded with ravening hordes between him and safety. They all seemed to converge with intent (movement was similar to the shuffling Undead with a couple of modifications). Of course, the feat of Krugg Axeforge is now stuff of legends (at least with the stumpies). It goes to prove that a decent sharpened blade will go far. And, yes, there are no extra steak knives to go with that offer.

Tallying up the losses for this game was an eye opener. Both sides lost over twenty points apiece. Or over 80% of the warband was lost - mostly to the infection with a few bloody casualties thrown in for colour. My Beasties are fast gaining a reputation as mobile meals on hooves (as I call them). My Shaman failed to fire with his magick even though he had the full range of tricks up his sleeve to wield.

The remaining scenarios (#8, #9, #10) will be played soon. #12 is the finale and like the Infected will cost heavily in points lost. But who knows. Next season kicks off July 1st if any local players are keen to join up. Just download the new campaign booklet (available late June) either through our gaming group's fb page or email me via here. Cheers.

This post has been edited by b20f08: May 19 2020, 02:29 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
b20f08
post May 22 2020, 12:12 AM
Post #49

Ten Guitars
Group Icon

Scenario #8 is a simple convoy/convoy ambush matchup. No biggie if you played it many times before, or are familiar with the idea. Incentive are the weighty bags (imagine please) of banker's gold being secretly transported at night by heavily armed hirelings.

Scenario #9 is a variant of that childhood classic, hopscotch (don't tell me you've never played it!?) and bullrush. One side is the blocker force; the other must "push through" but are only allowed to follow a strict path (shown on the batmap as coloured squares that are not simple straight paths). Any deviation, by any means (gamewise or simply ignoring to follow the colour coded path), means instant elimination. It's a simple and cheap penalty, I know, but if you can't follow directions and enforce some degree of self-discipline, then you pay the price. It is really quite a simple ask but I won't be surprised if there is a deviation of some sort. It's human nature.

Scenario #10, as explained several times in the past, sees the introduction of chariots. The notion of mobile infantry first began with the chariot in the art of war all those thousands of yarns ago. And the notion still remains as novel as there are never enough vehicles to accommodate our hard trudging foot sloggers! To add spice, this is played in an arena environment, all for the amusement and derision of the Trumpod's self-important wizard-king and the general populace hungry for blood sports (selling pots and pans can be quite soul-destroying at times). The chariots add that enough of an interesting variety to offer an entertaining spectacle. No-go areas (played in a specially created arena) further cramp the playing area allowing for an all-in brawl to happen very quickly...but without the panic of a pandemic!!

Once finished, our campaign will be done for the year. Ever so hopeful we complete all three soon. Only next month to go though. Will there be an eleventh-hour situation happening (as always)? Or will we calmly arrange and settle our campaign without any further fuss, with port and nuts? Like gentlemen gamers. We shall wait and see.

==========================================

Got bored with my current game of Factorio so opened up a new game set in a more barren desert-type landscape. Was trotting along uneventfully until I got lazy during last night's all-nighter and started to attack more vigorously one of the alien nests to the south of my position who were sending periodic raids against me. I was already tiring after starting play at eight pm (it was six thirty the next morning).

I had earlier eliminated one persistent nest close to my southern copper mine; the spitters and biters were constantly eroding my walled defenses - they had even knocked out a turret with their acid attacks! I was limited in my arsenal but preferred grenades because they're an area weapon and I was saving my gun ammo for my turrets. So I attacked using a simple tactic: appraoching close enough to activate the defensive rush and then using grenades to whittle down the opposition whilst running away. One grenade placed in the middle of the swarm will easily wipe out a number of them. The medium biters need two 'nades though: the second one helps their digestion, so I believe.

Anyway, once the creatures were taken care of I then took out the nest node and finally the lone small worm turret. I then claimed the viciously fought victory by erecting an outpost turret and declaring all the surrounding landscape terra nullis. There was a neighbouring nest close by but I did not know of its location at the time. My now-heavily guarded copper resource was secured. I was King of Heap.

Anyway, it didn't take long to discover the neighbouring nest, my outposts east of the besieged copper mine was being attacked by spitters. I didn't know where they were coming from so began exploring and discovered their nest. And because I was still flushed by my earlier success with just grenades and bravado, I then got careless when I foolishly ventured into the range of a cluster of medium and small worm turrrets; their deadly acidic spray quickly killed my character (only had heavy armour). I tried to rescue the important stash off my corpse after respawning but I failed to gather the goods before the spray took its toll. At least three times I tried. Time was running out. But then the autosave kicked in.

But then I almost immediately realised I could salvage my chances by re-entering the game using an earlier timed autosave (you get three autosaves per game at three different time settings). I found the one that was ten minutes earlier (before I died and joined the group of Surprised Unlucky Bastards Who Died Stupidly And Unexpectedly), and happily activated that. I decided not to return and finish off the worms. And quietly forgot the episode.

Lesson learned.

Still careless and lazy though. armata_PDT_14.gif

This post has been edited by b20f08: May 22 2020, 07:29 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
b20f08
post May 22 2020, 07:11 AM
Post #50

Ten Guitars
Group Icon

I should add that I never forgot that embarassing episode (revenge of the man-pisseth-off!)

Later in that marathon gaming session (didn't finish till three thirty pm that afternoon!) after advancing enough technologically I returned and finished off that nest of worms with my trusty rocket launcher.

Perhaps bothered by the constant raids (due to the pollution created as I understand it) I therefore decided to create a buffer no-man zone north and south! My east and west borders were relatively secure backing onto large bodies of water. There were a couple of annoying northern nests periodically attacking both my northern iron ore mine operations. A temporary "speed hump" outpost was doing its part against the eastern nest but the critters were persistent and it wouldn't take them long to break through the barriers and wipe out the outpost if I didn't pay closer attention.

Like the two southern nests, I chose to let the inevitable defensive rush come at me whilst leading them into the planted minefields that lay in their path. Once the majority of alien critters were dealt with by the mines, only then would I move in and close with the nest modes and their protective worm turrets. Any remaining critters that lingered were left to the minefield.

Both nests were thus dealt with and peace ultimately reigned in this sector. I then began constructing My Wall to keep any further incursons. I estimated the buffer zone would give me enough breathing time to acquire several more rich resource areas before the inevitable Red Spread would press the doorbell to be let in...or else! The idea is to carve for myself a wide swathe of bug-free territory (as if that's ever truly going to happen in real life) where I can peacefully continue my rape of the planet and eventually devise a means to return home to the serenity and beauty of home sweet home. Lol.

There are at least two alien nest sites still within the buffer zone, but neither have been troubling me. So far. They will keep for now.

This post has been edited by b20f08: May 23 2020, 11:43 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
b20f08
post May 23 2020, 11:57 PM
Post #51

Ten Guitars
Group Icon

Marathon PC gaming sessions do take their toll. Taking a break every now and then is both helpful and essential.

With the Dragon Rampant scenarios, there is one further clarification regarding Scenario #9.

Players deploy their forces normally at opposite ends of the board using whatever means. We prefer the one-unit-alternate approach to keep the randomness aspect going.

Once deployed, the player "bullrushing" selects their "hopscotch" pathway from a list. For our campaign it is set at six specific pathways. Roll d6 and the outcome will match the pathway selected.

Also the focus should be on the contact and its resolution rather than the preliminaries of the approach. That is the design focus for this scenario.

--------------------
+Quote Post
b20f08
post May 26 2020, 10:04 PM
Post #52

Ten Guitars
Group Icon

Good news today. Friday is on. Hopefully get in a couple of the scenarios in the allocated time. Looking forward to getting whopped by my opponent who has proven to be a worthy adversary tabletop. Not looking forward to meeting up with the Undead who are still the only warband to take to the table. I expect Krugg Axeforge has issued a general call for ready volunteers to rebuild his warband. Skarznik and his Krew are probably spending their loot from the Treasure Hunt game on the usual looty stuff -- whatever gobbos like. I'm not sure which warband will take the field for this Friday meet. Will have to toss the die I suppose.

====================================

The Red Spread is worsening. Encroachments are inevitable. Thankfully, the vast number of mines deployed is dealing to any periodic incursions from those wanting to cross The Wall. The North Wall (known as North Wall) between the northern stone fields (recently acquired after wiping out two nests) and the north west uranium field was erected a couple of days back and reported the occasional probing but otherwise no activity. Oddly enough, where the uranium resource is no nests have appeared. Odd.

But no mind; I already acquired a uranium resource just south of my main processing area. Did so when I first set up days ago.

Decided to go on the offensive the other night and launched a sudden southern expansion campaign against the several nests there that were only a grenade throw's away from my minefields. I managed to eventually wipe out the nests and then expanded the protective minefields as a result. Then started the Southern Wall (known as the Desert Wall). There is one big gap due south of my main base which is one big minefield (just in the critters get antsy from all the pollution drifting their way).

Sorted out my initial lack of understanding about the rail network. The earlier endeavours have sorted themselves out and my only concern now is avoiding being run over by the trains zipping past. Lucky I haven't inserted the rocket fuel cells! Only problem is constantly running out of fuel. As my territory is vast, it means either jogging or using my own personal train to visit the stranded locomotive and replenish its need for speed.

Am liking the pace of the game which allows me time to figure out how it all works. My pace, by the way, is advanced geriatic snail pace with periodic gout outbreaks.

Cheers.

--------------------
+Quote Post
b20f08
post May 28 2020, 08:49 AM
Post #53

Ten Guitars
Group Icon

Must have more space...

Yesterday, in another twenty three hour marathon gaming session, I decided I wanted water for my southern border thus saving me on the expense of a southern wall. To achieve this, I decided to head south for my scrub clearing using the two explosive rocket types and lots and lots of trusty mines. I barely needed help from the outpost turrets whose role was that of place markers in order to prevent returning nests.

I now wonder if there is some Queen hive breeding these simple but numerous critters because there are so many of them. The biters and spitters are easy enough to deal to while the worm turrets take a breath (or two) longer: good opportunity to practice my two-step dance moves.

I believe there is an achievement for finishing this game in eight hours or so. Missed that train long ago. But I am liking playing this style of King of the Heap solo, gradually expanding my little enclave and generally playing to my pace and indulgence. I have the automatic trains running to schedule (I have seven locomotives doing specific tasks like supplying outposts with fuel or transporting processed raw materials from those sites to the central manufacturing centre (homebase). I am still a long way from even expressing this game competently. Lots of running about from site to site manually supplying fuel to the trains that have stopped at the most inconvenient of locations to me!

Waiting on my tank (in the processing of being researched when I logged off last night) as I am quite left-footed driving the automobile with lots of crashing and steering incompetencies unless I crawl along. Plus, I tend to forget it once I dismount.

Have yet to advance to the nuclear bomb rocket stage but look forward to eventually watching sprouting mushrooms. And then when the artillery stage is completed, watch out Red Spread. Boom, boom, boom, BOOM!

Satellite launch? Escape from the Rock? What's that?!

=========================================

Cancelling tomorrow as I've come down with the winter lurgy. Mild impact so far. But nonetheless, it's definitely NOT worth the risk of potentially infecting others over some simple desire to play a game. I will admit there is now vindication for scheduling this as a year-long campaign.

=========================================

POST EDIT: Today

Some screenshots of Factorio game, current status extracted from my blogsite:

IPB Image
Current southern campaign has got off to a roaring start in the southwest corner. Several nests wiped out, water's edge reached, outpost turrets established. Will start pushing east shortly.

IPB Image
Same picture with turret coverage highlighted. Limited in range but hopefully all cross-coverage like a good field of field should provide. Those areas not covered is inundated with a heavy layering of mines which the critters seem to enjoy detonating.

IPB Image
Automated train network established. Each of the seven locomotives have specific tasks. They are a boon as they extend my reach and allow me to indulge in my own Little Wars. Still have to trot over to refuel them when they inconveniently run out of steam (pun intended), often as far from me as possible. Haven't yet used the rocket fuel cells though; saving those instead for the future space venture.

IPB Image
Selfie in the central of where it all started. Little bluff enclave when first spawned. The copper mine is still operating but the coal was exhausted long ago. Managed find a sizeable coal ore field to the west and just claimed a southern deposit during my recent southern expansion campaign.

IPB Image
My territory currently shown. Seperate power networks with solar panels in a few of them with accumulators attached.

Note: I should add that none of this would exist if I was playing multiplayer online or in a harder setting. Nonetheless, I am enjoying this graduation from Stardew Valley.

This post has been edited by b20f08: May 28 2020, 10:13 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
b20f08
post May 29 2020, 10:02 AM
Post #54

Ten Guitars
Group Icon

Acquired the PC version of Talisman today, a boardgame I was introduced to some yarns ago when I was part of QGG and we were operating out of Banyo Library. Interesting game.

I've also acquired Arma III, a popular multiplayer modern era game that I've followed for a couple of years. Both are currently special deals and available through Steam till June 1st so I took the chance. Less than thirty bucks is fine by me.

Spent some time last night in Factorio (lurgy and exhaustion meant no all-nighter like the past week) continuing my major extermination campaign in the southern region. It was slow going though as (1) there are quite a few nests in the area I am eyeing to acquire and (2) I keep getting distractions that pull me away from watching these critters run lemming-like into the layered minefields. The personal laser has saved me from over-extending my reach several times. Watching the rocket explosives detonate the nest node though is always entertaining to watch.

The aliens though keep pushing back: on the western border for example new nests kept popping up; their own expansion continues at its relentless though silent pace. Found a few turrets destroyed. Sneaky buggers like creeping up using foliage as cover. So, I used my delightful portable flamethrower to set fire to these woodlands. Achieved the dubious honour last night of destroying over 10K of trees using my flamer thus earning the Pyromaniac achievement. There was even an inside infestation with a lone worm turret in the now-claimed land grab. The critters send out scout parties periodically to explore new potential nest sites. I wouldn't mind so much because there is generally little open contact between my site and their nesting season except that occasionally they go on their little forays at the most inconvenient of times -- usually when I am somewhere else. Far far somewhere else.

But I will persevere. Other more important matters, like working on making my processing centre more autonomous and efficient, has to wait. Unfortunately. Sambo's on the rampage at the moment. Burn, baby burn! I can well imagine my character with wireless headphones on playing The Trammps on full bore as he lights up another wooded area with glee. Maybe even swing to the rhythm.

This post has been edited by b20f08: May 29 2020, 10:16 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
b20f08
post May 30 2020, 03:12 AM
Post #55

Ten Guitars
Group Icon

Some screenshots of my testing of Talisman: Origins acquired yesterday. Just woke up from being bed ridden with the lurgy (still have but can't sleep for long these days) and am quite keen to try out Arma III (solo of course) shortly.

Excuse the larger size on the middle image: clarity and detailing is inevitably lost whenever resizing images to fit to the standard image restrictions required on sites like WAU forum. I understand the restriction and duly comply. Hence I've just opened the original image and cropped that part I wanted to display. Call me Conformity Chucky though. biggrin.gif

IPB Image
Started out with the default character. But there are options to employ the other characters, one of whom is a stumpy dude.

IPB Image
As you'd come to expect from such games, most of your character's inventory is readily available at a glance. Part of the visual appeal.

IPB Image
And every activity/engagement is clearly explained for those of us (myself included in that group) thick-headed and unable to follow instructions. Never thought life was simple and easy as claimed but jeez surely reading comprehension was passed early on in one's development?! Just kidding.

Next screenshots will be of Arma III, a game I've been following for a couple of years (been hiding under my rock, thank you very much) and only decided to buy the game after um-ing and argh-ing over download speed to install (very slow download speed where I live). But the offer seemed too good, and I was looking for another excitement and involved game given my PC isn't able to run The Isle (very disappointed but patient enough to wait for a PC gaming upgrade next yarn).

Steam are offering these game at heavily discounted price but offer lasts until June 1st. Cheers.

This post has been edited by b20f08: May 30 2020, 03:16 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
b20f08
post May 30 2020, 05:31 AM
Post #56

Ten Guitars
Group Icon

Where is your grandson when you need him at 05:13 hrs? Lol. Opened up ArmaIII. Had a problem when numbly I wandered into the Prologue and clicked the first checkbox which was Virtual Bootcamp. Hello, McFly, you don't have VR. Stupid, boot! After some panicking, I ended up skipping the Prologue and waltzed into the Single Player section and started from there. No training; just hopped on the helo and flew to the next camp. That's when I chickened out and claimed amnesty as a political refugee! Not sure it worked but who knows. Then I took time to change my profile to that of another fellow named Barnabus. So that any further noob mistakes made can be easily attributed to him. Hide the evidence, guys!

IPB Image

This post has been edited by b20f08: May 30 2020, 05:32 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2020 - 12:42 PM