Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> So what armies do people see and use?, And 3 mini batreps from a local tourney
Emperor Fooble
post Mar 26 2017, 11:22 PM
Post #1

Don't throw off my groove
Group Icon

Group: Support Veteran
Member No.: 9,113

I'm curious what armies and point values people see in your gaming circles and tournaments?

My FLGS just held it's first AoS 1000pt tournament and going into it I had no idea what I could've been up against.

My 1000 point list was;

Lord Castellant
Command Trait - Staunch Defender
Relic: Sigmarite Pendant

5x Liberators - 1x Greatsword, 4x Sword and Shield
5x Liberators - 1x Greathammer, 4x Hammer and Shield

3x Prosecutors -1x Great Sword, 2x Double Hammers

5x Vanguard Hunters

2x Tempestors

3x Vanguard Palladors

So the plan was heavily reliant on my general boosting the armour of most of the army with his lantern and command trait. Liberators with 3+ rerolling 1's are tough, but Tempestors with 1+ saves rerolling ones are truly scary! Basically shield wall up the table and tank the enemies charges.
Hunters were there to do their thing, hunt war machines, wizards, jump in mid game and bail out the Liberators or late game capture an objective.
I went for an army that looked like an army, had cool models and avoided what I consider the fun killers of AoS - super characters, crazy ranged armies (I have avoided tournaments for the simple reason they are full of terrible people that run armies of nothing but Prosecutors with Javelins which is pretty much unbeatable) ect.

Anyway, game one was against Tzeentch Chaos!

His list was;

The Gaunt Summoner

10x Pink Horrors
10x Pink Horrors

3x Flamers
3x Flamers

Chaos Knights with lances (There were 6, I think)

We were playing scenarios, and while I forget the name, there was one objective in each of our deployment zones. You need 5 models to capture it, and starting at turn 3, if either player captures and hold both, they automatically win a major victory.
In the center of the board was a massive Chaos Dreadhold.

My opponent won first turn, cautiously moved up and unleashed some magic, failing to cast mystic shield on his knights, but summoned a unit of flamers right in front of my army who promptly shot their deathbolts at my tempestors and inflicted 5 saves. Very luckily for me, tough armour (even without boosts) turned aside all the attacks.
My general used his lantern on the Tempestors and everything except the 5 hammer liberators who were holding my objective, rushed up the board.
My Dracoths were in range to unleash their lightning breath and crossbows, and did so with great prejudice. The Prosecutors and Palladors chipped in with their shooting and together sent the flamers back to the warp.
There were no charges, despite being in range, as I wanted to preserve my armour boosts, as next turn for sure was going to be the crunch turn.

Turn 2:
My opponent won initiative and moved his chaos knights towards my Palladors, ready to charge.
On the far side of the battlefield, the unit of horrors advancing on my objective summoned the second unit of flamers to help them out.
The Gaunt summoner again, failed to cast mystic shield on the knights (this really hurt him, and I sure felt bad for him. Failing a 6+ summon twice with a legendary wizard?). A mystic bolt pinged my Palladors for a pair of mortal wounds.
Come crunch time, the Chaos Knights charged my chicken riders. 2 of them however couldn't get into range due to base sizes, the Dreadhold, and he didn't want to get within 3 inches of my nearby liberators.
Things might have been more successful if the full unit got within range, because after the dust settled they had only dealt 2 unsaved wounds to the Palladors, who in return killed a Knight and wounded another.

On the far side of the board, the flamers of Tzeentch savaged my prosecutors, killing two and dropping the unit champion down to one wound. He must have paid attention at celestial school as he stopped, dropped and rolled avoiding any lingering effects of warp flame.

My turn:
My hunters made their appearance, stopping 7 inches away from the gaunt summoner, and within range of the objective. armata_PDT_36.gif
My general, sword liberators and Tempestors moved to surround the Chaos Knights, and my lone prosecutor made a balls out charge against the flamers.
The Hunters half killed the Tzeentch wizard before making a successful charge against him. The Dracoths made a real mess of the chaos knights with their lightning breath, so they decided to charge the nearby unit of horrors. General charged the chaos knights, as did the liberators, but they failed.
It was a bloodbath as expected, knights were wiped out, horrors reduced to 4 models - however they rolled a 1 for battleshock and summoned some friends. Summoner was left with one wound, in combat with the hunters.

Turn 3:
I won the initiative....and well that was it. By the end of my turn I held both objectives and in the combat phase of my opponents turn the last of his horrors was smushed into the dirt, netting myself a major victory.
Somehow, the Prosecutor sergeant was still alive, having wiped out the flamers and survived 2 rounds of combat against the nearby Pink Horrors.

I think this was a really tough match up for my opponent. If the flamer bomb had killed off my tempestors before I could load up their armour then things could have gone very differently. As it was, the high risk - high reward strategy back fired for him and my units were too tough to crack.
MVP: While the dracoth riders went around destroying everything, the award has to go to the prosecutor prime who must think he is Bruce Willis because he just wound not die.

Game 2 Vs Khorne

Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage

Herald of Khorne
Herald of Khorne

10x Bloodletters

3x Bloodcrushers

Skullcannon of Khorne

5x Blood Warriors

1x Khorgorath

Mutalith Vortex Beast

The scenario was blood and glory, meaning there is an objective in the center of each table quarter. Interestingly once you have captured the objective, with any unit, it is yours until an opponent captures it, even if you move away.

I deployed both heavy cav units in the center of my army next to my general, to ensure I could try to get them against the bloodthirster, particularly that lightning breath.

Deployment for both armies went;

2xHeralds+letters/Thirster/cannon/crushers/khorg blood warriors vortex beast

Libs/Temps/gen/palladors libs/angels
Hunters deployed off the board, following their compass.

Turn 1:
I won initiative, and much to the surprise of my opponent, moved up the board at him. Lantern boosted tempestors and the palladors relocated to the left and rushed up, with the infantry close behind, ensuring that everything was within 6 inches of my general for stanch defender to take effect.

My opponent, amused at my tenacity and very confident in the melee prowess of his army charged everything forward like any true Khorne player.
His skull cannon bounced harmlessly off my tempestors, who were sporting a 1+ armour save rerolling ones.

Turn 2:

I had planned to move up and bait my confident opponent, circle the wagons, shieldwall and take his charge piecemeal, with the bloodthirster and bloodcrushers no doubt charging headlong into my entire army, solo.
But I won the initiative roll, and with it, another option. Throw caution to the wind and charge in like Conan.
I chose the riddle of steel and did just that, moved everything up.
Dracoths were 3 inches from the thirster, liberators and general 5 inches away from him. Palladors and prosecutors charged headlong up the battlefield towards the skull cannon. If I could take out the cannon and thirster, that would most likely deliver a deathblow.
Shooting phase!
Dracoths charged up their laser mouths and delivered a brutal 8 mortal wounds into the bloodthirsters face. My opponent stopped smirking right about now. tongue.gif
I poured the rest of my shooting into the thirster (8 xbow bolts, 6 pistol shots, 3 javelins and 4 hammers) but he made all of his save rolls.
Things were looking good come charge time. My Tempestors, liberators and general declared a charge against the thirster, palladors and prosecutors declared a charge against the skull cannon.
And this is where things start going downhill, the liberators, general and palladors all failed their ridiculously easy charges.
I activate my Dracoths first who roll really well and unleash all kinds of hellish saves on the poor 6 wound thirster, including 3 massive damage saves from the wingless dragons (rolls of 6 to wound from the mounts do d6 damage instead of 1!)
My opponent made ALL of his saves. The skull cannon lashed out, did an unsaved wound with its mouth against the angles and got a free shot with its cannon, which again bounced off the tempestors. The Thirster swung back, the -1 to hit from suppressing fire really paying off as it missed most of its attacks, and those that got through couldn't penetrate my armour.
What did hurt however, was the thirsters screams. It rolls a 6 and every one of my units with 18 inches cops a mortal wound. 2 screams and a liberator and prosecutor were killed, and both cav units and general wounded.

Turn 3:
Opponent won initiative. Uh oh. Double turn shenanigans pain train. His whole army barreled forward, both heralds and the bloodthirster unit making their charge into my tempestors. Bloodcrushers and khorgoroth made their charges into my palladors and the vortex beast and blood warriors made a long bomb charge into my 2nd unit of liberators.
Skullcannon shot again bounced off my dracoths armour.
Combat saw the thirster go hog wild with its screams. Its actual axe attacks did 0 wounds, but its screams killed the last tempestor (the other died from bloodletter mortal wounds), 1 pallador, another liberator and prosecutor and hurt my poor general again.
Otherwise my prosecutor prime dealt a few wounds to the skull cannon, palladors took a couple of wounds but held the charge and made the bloodcrushers pay for their attacks by killing 2 of them.
Liberators admirably dealt 4 wounds to the vortex beast, losing only 1 in return.
The bloodthirster made all of his save rolls.

Things were not looking good at this stage, I was in a world of hurt. My general used his lantern as a gun and shot the bloodthirster for 2 mortal wounds before running over to my palladors to help them out with the intention of freeing them from their combats so they can 6d6 move around the battlefield and capture objectives and win that way, because I was seemingly doomed trying to fight.
The bloodthirster finally failed a save from a palladors pistol and died.
My general attempted to charge the khorgoroth...but failed another easy charge.
My liberators fighting the vortex beast had been rendered 'stupid' from the beasts portal powers, meaning at the start of each turn for the rest of the battle they must roll a dice. A roll of 1 means that unit cannot do anything that turn, including attack. They rolled a 1.
My 2nd liberator unit declared a charge into the herald/bloodletter blob hoping to fail the longish charge to try and put themselves between the angry horde and my general. Of course, they made the charge, missed all of their attacks against the herald, but the unit champ managed to survive, making a heroic stand encircled by daemons.
Combat saw my Palladors kill the the 3rd bloodcrusher and put a couple of wounds into the khorgorath. Down bottom the vortex beast had a great time stomping on the remaining liberators.

Turn 4:
Opponent won the initiative.
His herald that wasn't in combat ran off to his deployment zone to protect the objective. The vortex beast, healed back to full health and ran over to my general for another snack. The blood warriors moved further into my deployment zone and captured my objective.
Combat saw my general open up a can of whoopass as he dealt 6 unsaved wounds to the vortex beast. The khorgorath killed a pallador but was left on one wound. My hammer wielding liberator champ missed all of his attacks again and was torn apart.

My lord Castellant, uncaring of his safety fired his laser lantern into the Khorgorath, killing it and freeing up the remaining Pallador who made a run for my opponents top right objective and took a wound off the vortex beast with a well thrown javelin.
Still, I was seconds away from conceding, I had 1 objective to his 3 with only 1 turn left in the game. And then I remembered my hunters, hidden from view on the other side of the table behind a pile of books. The mental facepalm was real.
My opponent refused to allow me to bring on my hunters, as although it was still the movement phase, it was no longer 'the start of the movement phase', but I didn't concede because now there was hope!
Combat saw my general bring some more pain to the Mutaliths ugly face.

Turn 5:
Opponent won the initiative and consolidated his hold on the objectives, with 1 herald and the bloodletters holding the top one, and his other herald the bottom. His blood warriors however made a critical error as they moved away from their objective to try and block my remaining pallador from by fanning out.
My Castellant took a wound but dropped the vortex beast back down to 1 wound, again. Those regen rolls!

Final round! My general finished off the mutalith with a well placed lantern laser, while my hunters came on and captured the objective from the now really, really mad blood warriors.
And then my remaining pallador geared up for the game changing moment, to ride the winds aetheric to try and contest my opponents opposite objective which would pull a major win out of my behind. I needed to roll an 18+ on 6d6, but in a kick to the crotch I only rolled a total of 12, ironically the beasts regular movement.
Tie breaker! I had 2 objectives, my opponent had 2 objectives so we had to tally up points of destroyed units and I walked away with a minor victory!

It was a tight game!
MVP is a tough one this game. While the hunters certainly saved the day, pulling a win out of a crushing defeat, I think the Lord Castellant and his magic lantern really deserve the praise. His armour boosts kept the entire army alive, he killed the Vortex beast, the khorgoroth and finished off the bloodthirster.
Opponents MVP is easily the Thirster. His attacks did nothing. But his AOE screams wiped out half my army in 2 turns. And he made stupid amounts of saves, 10 5+ saves in a row. not including all the other saves that dont have a rend value such as the crossbow bolts or dracoth riders swords.

Game 3, was terrifying.

Alarielle the beetle riding destroyer of hobbies

20x Dryads

10x Dryads

A warscroll battalion, I don't remember the name. Units can choose a target to 'glamour' in the combat phase, they gain +1 to hit against their chosen unit.

The positive - The army is beautifully painted and the player is a lovely person.
The negative - What am I supposed to do against Alarielle in 1000 points?

We played on the chaos dread table again.
Mission type was blood and glory again, which gave me a tiny glimpse of hope that, with my high mobility units I just *might* be able to hold on for 5 turns and eke out an objective win.

I deployed both liberator squads on the right side of the fort with the intention of charging up the board and getting into a scrap against the 20 strong dryad unit, with the hunters as reinforcements if necessary.
All of my heavy hitters deployed on the left lined up against Alarielle and 10 dryads.

Turn 1:

I won first turn and charged forward, blaze of glory and all that. A javelin took a wound off Alarielle.

Alarielle and the dryads moved forward. She made some kind of shooting attack which missed, put mystic shield on herself and arcane bolted a prosecutor out of the sky. And healed the missing wound. She flopped her summoning roll, healing all of the full health units.
She then charged my prosecutors and Palladors. Bad rolling on her part saw the prosecutors utterly obliterated (Alarielle has FIVE damage five attacks? How high was the rules writer?) but the Palladors survived with no casualties, and they responded (well the chickens did) with a handful of unsaved wounds!

Turn 2:
I won initiative and piled in against Alarielle with my general and Tempestors, while my liberators continued their run against the 20 dryads.
Shooting did some solid damage, with the Dracoths lightning breath really hurting and Alarielle failing the occasional 2+ armour save.
Combat further piled the hurt into the everqueen who is on deaths door. She exploded my general however. Think Skyrim; the first time you get killed by a giant.
Between the loss of attacks from being so wounded, and the -1 to hit from my tempestors crossbows both my chickens and dragons were still at full models.

The 20 dryads got the charge off against both my liberator squads. The ten Dryads charged into my tempestors to try and help out their queen.
Alarielle continued to roll terribly and did a few wounds, killing only one pallador. And then, in an outcome that no-one expected at the start of the game, my chickens killed Alarielle!
And as you would expect, that was pretty much game.
The 20 dryads performed admirably, they would've overpowered the liberators for sure, if the hunters and tempestors hadn't intervened.
As it was, by pure luck I netted another major victory.
If Alarielle had stayed back for another turn or two summoning units, or more importantly, if she hadn't rolled so terribly, then I would've been slaughtered, with no chance whatsoever at pulling a win.
MVP: The Palladors. While the dracoths lightning breath is always a show stopper, the chickens reliable damage output ultimately brought the pain.

Surprisingly I was crowned the winner and landed 1st place, and am now hankering for more games and to paint more of my army!

Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed these!

--------------------
C'mon you apes, do you wanna live forever?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SammyJ
post Mar 27 2017, 08:15 AM
Post #2

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 12,002

New to AoS however building two armies at the moment. Chaos and Daemons of Khorne.

Your write up was nice and shows the strength of your boosted armour saves, also show's some weakness in 0 rend units against Stormcast in general.

My local is running AoS game nights fortnightly so should get some traction on game play soon. Then I'll be looking for tournaments so hopefully will have some meaningful input to this thread soon.

--------------------
[Auty]
Once you've won a Demon, life ain't nothin but miniatures and honeys.
+Quote Post
kthx
post Mar 27 2017, 08:57 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 3,984

My 1k list for ardfists was:

Drakesworn Templar
Lord Relictor
Mistweaver Saih

5x Liberators
5x Judicators
3x Prosecutors with Javelins

for 1k even. Largely this was because of the pack - it is a pretty nails list in 1k.
+Quote Post
mkragh
post Mar 27 2017, 09:04 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 9,853

I enjoyed reading your reports. Good to see that you had lots of close fights, always a good feeling when you can pull something special in turn 5.

These days at the local club I think it is mostly 1k ish games. I am actually not too fussed about points, but it does make it easy to compare.
As to armies, bit of a mix really, but there are not that many Age Of Sigmar players here in the outback.

--------------------
Follow me on twitter for gaming chatter: mikragh

My gaming and painting blog: Games Theatre
+Quote Post
Roark
post Apr 30 2017, 09:43 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 5,635

Damn, thanks for the batreps dude. It's made me glad that Khorne now has access to a mystic shield equivalent eh...

Around my way (Blue Mountains) there's Sylvaneth, Stormcast, lots of Freeguild, High Aelves, Duardin, Legion of Azgorh and Blades of Khorne.

+Quote Post
Emperor Fooble
post Apr 30 2017, 11:25 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

I'm glad these little reports were enjoyed, when I get more games in I'll post up some more.

I've really fallen for the AoS system, it's a lot more fun and tactical than I originally gave it credit for, being a WFB grognard.
Down here everyone has been going mad over Shadow War and playing 7th ed 40k before 8th comes out.

On the plus side I have been painting non stop.

kthx that list is wild. You should feel bad ^^. How much face did you smash?

Jealous of your active AoS group Roark! Post up some of your own batreps!

I want to hear more AoS related stuff!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Original
post May 1 2017, 04:06 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 9,094

Nice work, as someone who was an 8th diehard the new stormcast battletomb has drawn me back in.

I like that the hunters worked for you people havent seen too excited with them. Painted up my first pallador last night glad to hear they worked for you. did you go javliens or axes?

Seems like i'll need to get some tempestors, though i was thinking the fulminators could be good with the +1 save against shooting?
+Quote Post
Emperor Fooble
post May 1 2017, 10:29 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

QUOTE(Original @ May 1 2017, 04:06 PM) *

Nice work, as someone who was an 8th diehard the new stormcast battletomb has drawn me back in.

I like that the hunters worked for you people havent seen too excited with them. Painted up my first pallador last night glad to hear they worked for you. did you go javliens or axes?

Seems like i'll need to get some tempestors, though i was thinking the fulminators could be good with the +1 save against shooting?

Palladors are pretty amazing. I went Javelins, a decent ranged attack imo is much more valuable then 2 very average axe strikes. The chickens they ride really dish out the damage, able to inflict mortal wounds and strike at high rend means they can deal some damage, and their fast movement is great in objective based games. Well worth their points.

I'm quite fond of the hunters as an extremely effective anti warmachine/wizard unit. Being able to call them in whenever you want, and end up 7 inches away from a potential charge target is much more reliable than putting liberators in reserve and teleporting them in using Stormcast Allegiance ability. They put out a solid amount of attacks that mean they can go toe to toe with rival battle line units if no better target presents itself. And of course they are great objective snatchers ^^

Tempestors and fulminators are both my favorites, because their dracoth breath attack is so crazily strong! When you shoot that bad boy at point blank range, yikes!
The glaives are, I think an all around 'better' choice; the extra protection from shooting is great as they are a big target, rend 1 on the riders means they can actually help out in combat and of course damage 3 on the charge is monstrous. They pair really well with a Knight Heraldor, who can give them the ability to retreat and charge in the same phase, meaning they can keep damage 3 all day.
What really makes the crossbows useful,and the reason I chose them is their suppressing fire ability. Being able to reduce a foe's hit rolls by 1 is massive. It's the sole reason the Bloodthirster and Alarielle didn't mince my army, hitting on 5's changes everything.

I've actually found that the Vangaurd Palladors do more consistent damage than Dracoth units, but nothing compares to the mortal wound bursts that the dracoths can unleash.

--------------------
+Quote Post
kthx
post May 2 2017, 08:58 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 3,984

QUOTE(Emperor Fooble @ Apr 30 2017, 11:25 PM) *

kthx that list is wild. You should feel bad ^^. How much face did you smash?

I did win the event, but mostly through sheer luck and a powerful list to carry me.

I hadn't played very much to that point and I played one game very poorly - only won through a combination of us misplaying one unit and a series of very lucky priority rolls (I think I won all but one for the game, and any of those going the other way would have probably cost me the game).
+Quote Post
Ocelot
post May 6 2017, 05:19 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 8,667

First off. Nice reports to read through.

I haven't played a lot of AoS but I am collecting Stormcast and thinking to rebase my old Empire for Freeguild.

In Campbelltown I have seen Nurgle deamons, Chaos, more Stormcast, Ogres, Undead, Uruks, Chaos Dwarfs, and Woodies.

So a good spread of armies amongst us, but just not many games between us all.

Hopefully our next event will have a few more players having a crack at I am finding a very good game with a lot of depth once you get into it.

--------------------
What is your life?
My honour is my life.

What is your fate?
My duty is my fate.

What is your fear?
My fear is to fail.

What is your reward?
My salvation is my reward.

What is your craft?
My craft is death.

What is your pledge?
My pledge is eternal service.
+Quote Post
Emperor Fooble
post May 6 2017, 09:56 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

That sums up our scene and my thoughts on the game perfectly Ocelot! I look forward to hearing about your games!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Big K
post Aug 13 2017, 10:15 PM
Post #12

Royal Pain in the ...

Member No.: 6,368

I play Chaos personally, 95% Slaanesh Daemons, I am adding a few beasties like the Cockatrice and Chimera. I want to expand a little, add some ranged attacks but didn't want to go down the units path or anything that has another mark other than Slaanesh or no mark.

My collection includes so far...

FW Keeper of Secrets
The Masque of Slaanesh
Sorcerer Lord
Herald
Lord on Steed of Slaanesh
45 x Daemonettes
20 x Seekers
7 x Fiend of Slaanesh
Hellflayer
Seeker Chariot
3 x Exalted Seeker Chariots

Have put this army together over the last 2 months.

In Mackay we have a big variety of armies, I can't think of any that I haven't seen represented.

--------------------
Current Armies

40k - Chaos Marines
Warmachine Cygnar
Infinity - Combined
Fantasy 8th ed - Tomb Kings
+Quote Post
SammyJ
post Aug 16 2017, 08:43 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 12,002

Have you played many games with your Daemons? How're they going?

--------------------
[Auty]
Once you've won a Demon, life ain't nothin but miniatures and honeys.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st November 2017 - 05:05 AM