Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What can I make out of these?, Gondor - WoTR
BloodAngelsAndrew
post Apr 6 2010, 12:12 PM
Post #1

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 9,181

Hey thinking about getting into LoTR by trying out WotR, but since I don't have any of the rules books etc I was wondering if anyone could help me with a decent looking army from the amount of figures I have, currently I have alot of all different types of models but I'm heading towards Gondor and if this is successful enough maybe move onto Isengard or Morder.

Here are the current models for gondor that I own.

Heroes:
Aragorn
Gandalf White and Grey
Boromir
Denathor
Faramir (Ranger, on horse, On foot)

Lesser Heros?
1 Captain w/Sword shield

Banners:
2 on foot
2 on Horse back

Troops:
21 Swordsmen
16 Spearmen
23 Archers
6 Rangers
6 Riders of Gondor
2 Swan knight guys.

So can I make a viable list out of these guys? I have a stack of Rohan and I'm not afraid of buying extra models. Also I have a lot of other heroes ( around x3 of each of the fellowship) not to meantion a stack of Rohirm Cav.

Thanks.

P.S: Will post pictures of all the models once I get them, then start a project log in the future as honestly I painted these when I was in Grade 7 and I feel like I was the biggest sped back then I honestly must have been cross eyed when I was painting.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Boromir of Gondor
post Apr 6 2010, 12:52 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 4,889

In WotR, you need a lot of infantry and basic cav. If you put a captain and a banner into the combined spearmen and swordsmen, and then find one more model, you have 5 companies in a formation of Warriors of MT. Putting a banner with the archers will give you about 3 companies. You don't have anywhere near enough rangers or swan knights, but you have three companies worth of Knights of MT. You should buy another box of Warriors of MT, and andother box of knights. Then, if you include faramir, you might have enough stuff for about 1000 points of gondor.

--------------------
+Quote Post
BloodAngelsAndrew
post Apr 6 2010, 01:17 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 9,181

Thanks for the reply, would it still be possible to hit 1,000 points of WoTR with just spamming the heroes like, Gandalf, Aragorn, Boromir, Denethor?

And what is Gondor the most expensive army out there models per points?

EDIT:

Also what is the usual number of points that you need to play WoTR, just checked the money I have spare and can get 3 Boxes of Warriors of MT, 2 Boxes of Knights of MT and would getting 12 Fountain guard be any good?

This post has been edited by BloodAngelsAndrew: Apr 6 2010, 01:28 PM
+Quote Post
Boromir of Gondor
post Apr 6 2010, 01:52 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 4,889

Getting twelve fountain guard is no good. Infantry you need in blocks of eight, and cavalry in two's. The most expensive formation per model in Gondor has to be the Knights of Dol Amroth as cavalry, they are 50 points for two, but don't og buying any more, as they are coming out in plastic in May.

In WotR, because of the way epic heroes work, you are better off only taking one or maybe two in smaller games, as your opponent would just shoot out the formation that had all three epic heroes in it. Denethor is not available as an epic hero, but taking aragorn and boromir and faramir would cost around 500 points, so isn't effective at 1000 points.

You really only need one box of warriors of MT to field a full formation of warriors, and archers tend to work better in smaller formations, so having three companies in your formation is about right. The max number of companies you can have in each is six, same with the Knights. As there are only two models in every cavalry company, you only need one more box of knights. I suggest you spend the extra money on maybe some plastic rangers, or maybe even some army of the dead.

--------------------
+Quote Post
GIjimbo
post May 6 2020, 02:32 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 10,809

Hey Boromir,
What is an effect size unit for fountain guard and citadel guard.

Am I wasting my time fielding them in seperate companies?

I only have 9 fountain, 9 spear citadel and 9 citadel bow, should i just leave them out and focus on larger units of plastic WoMT?

I know this is an old thread, but I am keen to play, I've heard great things.

James.

QUOTE(Boromir of Gondor @ Apr 6 2010, 01:52 PM) *

Getting twelve fountain guard is no good. Infantry you need in blocks of eight, and cavalry in two's. The most expensive formation per model in Gondor has to be the Knights of Dol Amroth as cavalry, they are 50 points for two, but don't og buying any more, as they are coming out in plastic in May.

In WotR, because of the way epic heroes work, you are better off only taking one or maybe two in smaller games, as your opponent would just shoot out the formation that had all three epic heroes in it. Denethor is not available as an epic hero, but taking aragorn and boromir and faramir would cost around 500 points, so isn't effective at 1000 points.

You really only need one box of warriors of MT to field a full formation of warriors, and archers tend to work better in smaller formations, so having three companies in your formation is about right. The max number of companies you can have in each is six, same with the Knights. As there are only two models in every cavalry company, you only need one more box of knights. I suggest you spend the extra money on maybe some plastic rangers, or maybe even some army of the dead.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2020 - 04:57 AM