Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

22 Pages V « < 20 21 22  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Doing the Blog thing, Mountains style, Post CanCon aftermath and new year plans
Dru
post Dec 8 2017, 10:57 PM
Post #421

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 31

Of course those expensive flights hit anyone qualifying from Canberra too, if event in Melbs.
Still think Sydney is the best choice due to equitable access. Melb next best.
Regardless I'm sure anyone fortunate enough to qualify will try and attend. Such an amazing weekend.

This post has been edited by Dru: Dec 8 2017, 10:57 PM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Stallandor
post Jan 29 2018, 01:09 PM
Post #422

Member No.: 306

Hi Everyone
CanCon is in the books. It was an awesome event run by MattCro and his team of merry helpers (Tas seemed Merry) and was all in all an excellent event.

I'd like to again reiterate thanks to all the providers - the tables with mats and terrain were AWESOME and to be so consistent across all tables 1-32 was amazing.
The maps just make a world of difference as well IMO - having that all printed out beforehand was superb. There was nothing at all amiss from the quality of running this larger scale event.

It was also fantastic to see such a large contingent from both Queensland, and then also Melbourne as well. Thanks so much for making the effort - and to all the new players, I hope you got hooked on tournaments, as I did at my first CanCon so many years ago!

My prep was not great - given I was trying a new idea with Elves, and I'm used to my ideas being at least ok. After getting smacked, multiple times and realising it wasn't working, I had to go back to the drawing board, as I was unhappy with my list, and to come down with all the effort I had put in to make it (much family logistics in play) I wanted an army that wouldn't leave me frustrated.

I switched to a list I'd not played before, for the event, but obviously the faction I know well given its what I played last year. It was different to what I normally play - but still with some creature comforts - Cancon is traditionally not a place to trial things. I believed it was good clearly - but would still require me to make some stylistic changes to be successful.

3x Regiment Thralls
1x Horde Fallen (Brew Strength)
1x Horde Bloodsworn (Heal brew)
2x Devourers
1x Skald (Lute)
1x King on Chimera (Chant Hate)
2x Horde Tortures Soul ALLIES

The list obviously did well. I had Chaff for the first time ever, and disciplined myself to play them for scenario, and scenario only. I would say they gave me 4 wins I would not have normally had, simply by standing on objectives/zones and making the difference. Clearly a good change! I like to think I play scenario but usually I end up playing to wipe my opponent out most of the time, and this time I tried to be far more disciplined in playing for the game at hand, which I mostly did well.

My weekend had highs and lows both on and off the table, but overall it was a great trip. I lost to the Mighty Staks round 2, but managed wins in the 6 other rounds. I was particularly happy to win all three games on day 2 - but could only manage 14/13/14 in those games (all wins by 1 scenario point). I had hair raising moments against experienced players like Clint, as well as beginners like Max, and old school players like Bruce - and was grateful to play 6/7 games against people that I've essentially played either once or not at all last year (apart from Clint - who for some reason has chosen me to be his nemesis, and then uses that loss as a trampoline afterwards!)

I was happy with how I played in all 7 games - playing mostly mistake free (couple of shockers) and even that one loss could have been pulled back my way. To finish 4th was fantastic - the best I've ever finished at CanCon.

I'll look at doing a write up for the year and masters etc once the scores are in - but thanks to my opponents, Matt once again, and OF course a congratulations to the immortal Traishy, who is just on fire, Staks for podiuming with an amazing performance, and Clint for taking out third place and showing all roads to the top need to go through Queensland at some point!

Thanks for a top weekend.

--------------------
Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile away, and have their shoes.

Check out the Australian Kings of War Rankings - http://oz-kow-rankings.appspot.com/region=2&game=5
+Quote Post
marius
post Jan 29 2018, 02:15 PM
Post #423

Member No.: 169

Thanks for the write up, sounds like a great weekend
+Quote Post
Staks
post Jan 29 2018, 07:01 PM
Post #424

Member No.: 885

Thanks for the game Ken. It could have very easily been your event with a bit of tough love in the dice department against me. Well done on the great result.

Staks

--------------------
Want to play Confrontation in Melbourne? Shoot me a PM for the details of our club night.
QUOTE(jarveg @ Oct 30 2010, 08:00 AM) *

Exactly Staks - no-one rates you, but that STILL makes you Australia's #1 Over-rated player. Thats how craptastic your Warhammer skills really are!
+Quote Post
mattc
post Jan 30 2018, 08:58 AM
Post #425

Member No.: 15,630

Glad you enjoyed the event Ken, hopefully we keep getting bigger and better
+Quote Post
Stallandor
post Jan 31 2018, 12:18 PM
Post #426

How to get bigger and better? MOAR APRONS!

Thats what Facebook is saying anyway...
And thanks for the props - Staks I'd love to have that game over, I'm not convinced my strategy of getting cover from the shooting and where I engaged units was bad, but your dice went hot for that turn and If I could have bought a nerve test - but you clearly executed your plan and deserved the win. Congrats on the podium finish.

But thats all in the past now. CanCon is OVER PEOPLE - we now have a big new CoK to learn to play with.

With the rule changes, changes in item value etc, there are a couple of options floating around. I didn't go well with the Forces of Nature army I played last year - it simply lacked hitting power, and the Forces of NAture are not the greatest "grind it out" army there is. So, tried to change things up a little, loose the Earth elementals for something that hits harder, and look at a few new items available:

1x Horde Ensnarers (Brew Strength)
2x Horde Fire Elementals
2x Troops Bray Hunters
2x Regiments Bray Striders
1x Druid, Mounted, Bane Chant, Surge (Amulet Fireheart)
2x Druid, Mounted, Drain Life, Wild Companion/Mind Fog (had 20 points left over)
1x Treeherder, Aura of Heroism (Dwarvern Ale)
1x Greater Earth Elemental

Has I hope a good combo of hitting power, staying power and speed, whilst not being maxed out in either area. Not much shooting but a fair bit of supporting magic. I'm thinking Dwarvern ale might not be the best bargain item going around, and like the idea of the Aura just for turn 1-2 to cop the shooting before going in. I'd really love to have the Cenataur hero in here somewhere, he is awesome, but 3 druids makes it hard, I'd have to drop the treeherder (which might not be a bad option) and replace with him and another monster. 17US not shabby.

The other army I'm looking at, very strongly, and will prob try first, is the undead. I love my all cav undead army - and would love to bust it out with success. I'm hoping the changes to Cav mean that the following would work as well as I think it will on paper. Its also an army I'm yet to use in Kings since its WFB days, and needs a run:

1x Horde Werewolves (Brew Strength)
1x Horde Werewolves (Chant Hate)
6x Troop Revenant Cavalry (yes, six!)
1x Regiment Soul Reaver Cav (Potion Catepillar)
1x Revenant King on undead Wyrm, Flying
1x BSB, mounted, (Lute)
1x Necromancer, Mounted, Bane Chant, Veil of Shadows (Inspiring Talisman)

US 15, light on items - at least for me! 12 deployments again. There is chaff in the undead list, but not cav wise, the revenant cav need to be chaff, diverters, flankers and deterents. I've also not used a surge army before, but this army doesn't need to rely on the surge to really succeed, and the veil is also a good 1st turn spell to have.

Anyway - not sure when I'll be at an event again, I'll just have these armies get smashed by Traishy a few times and see how they go. Would be interested in your thoughts.

--------------------
Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile away, and have their shoes.

Check out the Australian Kings of War Rankings - http://oz-kow-rankings.appspot.com/region=2&game=5
+Quote Post
marius
post Jan 31 2018, 12:52 PM
Post #427

Both those armies look fairly odd to me (although that says more about me that it does those armies).

For the forces of nature army there are some things that I really like and seem to be great are missing, the beasts of nature, winged unicorn and the Forest Warden.

The undead list has US 13 (nimble units count as 1 less to a min of 1).
+Quote Post
Stallandor
post Jan 31 2018, 01:48 PM
Post #428

QUOTE(marius @ Jan 31 2018, 01:52 PM) *

For the forces of nature army there are some things that I really like and seem to be great are missing, the beasts of nature, winged unicorn and the Forest Warden.

Beasts of Nature - if the Forest Warden is no good they are the obvious replacement. But given everyone has 'done' them, I'm looking them off for now. Winged Unicorn I think is really cool, but expensive. The Forest Warden will never get a run compared to the Cenataur chief, he is not good enough.

QUOTE(marius @ Jan 31 2018, 01:52 PM) *

The undead list has US 13 (nimble units count as 1 less to a min of 1).

I really need to get that book...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stallandor
post Mar 19 2018, 08:30 AM
Post #429

Army list musing update...

Finally got a game or 2 in with Traishy, busting put the all cav - I played a 2400 version at Kings of win, then dialled back to 2015 for Briscon practice.

The army did well at 2400, beating a scarily put together League list of Flora (Nick L and I put it together with his left overs, and then decided it was better than his main list...) and then taking down Duncan's Ogres, before being beaten 20-0 by Peter Lee in what was amongst the worst beat downs I've ever received in Kings (interestingly, I think Peter has 2 of my top 5 losses in the past 3 years...).

Then practicing with Traishy, the following things I've realised:
-I might be desperate to play my dire wolves, but this isn't working because
a) an all cav list needs to get the jump on an enemy force, and if all your cav shambles, there is little jumping occurring, and
b) Werewolves are far better on paper than in practice, they just do not get the work done they are supposed to - and given they are so many points in my list, this is a problem.

Now I am in the camp that balanced lists are far better and more effective, I just really wanted the chance to use my old undead cav army and have it be good. Its not good. I've played around with lists, and have the following 3 options, not sure how good they are:

OPTION-1 - Undead
1x Soul Reaver Cav regiment (Catepillar)
1x Soul Reaver Cav regiment (Dwarvern Ale)
2x Troop Revenant Cav
1x Regiment Revenant Cav (or swap to 1xHorde Skellies - a better option IMO)
1x Liche King, mounted (Heal, Shroud of Saint)
1x Liche King, mounted (Heal, amulet Fireheart)
2x Troops Deathpack
2x Horde Tourtued Souls ALLIES

Now this list has the allies, so I can loose 1 inspiring character, so instead of the big flyer, I've gone the super heal list - Given I'm not relying on the Revenant cav to do as much this list looks like it could be a real pain to shift. But depends on how people feel about the allies as well...

QUICK QUESTION
If I take Mortinebris the NEcromancer character, and pay the 50 point upgrade, then allies count as normal troops. DOES THAT MEAN he can cast surge on Tortured souls? because that's the kind of filth that should only be allowed if I'm going to Brisbane to beat Queenslanders...

OPTION 2 - Undead
1x Horde Zombie Trolls (Heal brew)
1x Regiment Soul Reaver Cav (Catepillar)
3x Troops Revenant Cav
1x Regiment Revenant Cav (or swap to 1xHorde Skellies - a better option IMO)
1x Revenant King on undead Wyrm, Fly (Dwarvern Ale)
1x Necromancer, mounted, Drain Life (Inspiring Talisman)
1x Liche King, mounted (Heal, Shroud of Saint)
1x Horde Barrow Wights
2x Troops Deathpack

This list has some healing, some surging, and some flying. It doesn't necessarily hit as hard, but definitely has some potential as well, and prob doesn't look so bad given its not got the 2xSoul Reaver setup.

OPTION 3 - Empire of Dust???
2x Horde Enslaved Guardians (Drain Life)
4x Regiments Chariots
1x Horde Worm Riders (Catepillar)
1x Bone Dragon
1x Pharoah's on Chariot, Veil of Shadows (blade slashing)
1x Pharoah's on Chariot, Veil of Shadows (mace crushing)
1x Cursed High Priest (Heal brew)
(This list is 2k, so would prob give high priest a different setup with the 20 points)

This list looks pretty interesting. Issues - I need to use wolves as chariots, so that could cause some dramas to players in the counts as stakes. And the points in the enslaved guardians is HUGE! Not sure if that is going to work. But I think its certainly worth the experiment!

Well - to the small group of people still looking on Wargamer, what say you on these lists? which one best to smash the Canetoads?

--------------------

+Quote Post
marius
post Mar 19 2018, 10:20 AM
Post #430

I like the second list. It seems to suit your style more, and offers a bit more in the flexibility stakes.

Also Barrow Wights look to be an amazing unit.

Really don't like the idea of using wolves to represent chariots, just seems a bridge to far for mine.

For your first list, why not regiments of wraiths instead of tortured souls? the D6 would be useful with the other D6 units in the list and with the changes to tortured souls hitting power isn't too different and the extra points could be helpful.

As for using Mortinebris the NEcromancer character,
+Quote Post
Stallandor
post Apr 30 2018, 06:23 PM
Post #431

Ok - to bring you all up to speed, barely played for ages, realised all mounted undead suck hard.
Switched to Forces, had 2 practice games against Traishy, got smashed. Good sign.

BRISCON tourney recap.

I took 5 lists to the airport, and decided what to play before I got on the plane with Traishy and Ev's help. My list ended up being:

1xHorde Ensnarers, brew strength
2xHorde Earth Elementals
1xGreater Earth Elemental
(Formation)
2xRegiment Cenataurs
1x Woodland Critters
1xBeast Nature, Fly, extra Attacks
1xDruid, mounted, Bane chant, Surge, Fireheart amulet
1x Winged Unicorn, Bane Chant, Shroud Saint
1xGreen Lady, Wild Companion

I'll give a quick game recap, and then some army thoughts:

Game 1 State of Origin vs Dwarves. - Adam Storey, Scavenge

I lost this through a couple of errors - I was sure I could generate more than 1 loot counter per unit - set up and had an uncontested one, and only got 1 counter sad.gif (this was huge, I made a massive amount of decisions around this - I should learn to read...) I then in my Elemental/Dwarf grind/stand off, got in a position where the elementals were off the other one, and they got a point. But I had otherwise played well, and tried to recover from this, had killed more stuff. But Adam wasn't taking his foot off the pedal either, and was pressing his token advantage. LAst turn, I had Golloch's fury (with token) charged by bane chanted ensnarers (after he did 2 wounds on the charge, LOL) and needed just a 5 to kill him, get the token, and have a winning draw, and win Origin.
Did not roll this. We lost, I lost, 3 token to 1 to Adam. (LOSS, 6-15 At: 810-565).

Game 2 vs Orcs (& Orcs & Orcs) - Eddie Compton, Invade

Eddie had an all infantry Orc army, with all these bloody troops of Greatax everywhere, and an awesome little halfling setup with Wip as well. Being invade, we had essentially a line of scrimage stretched on that half way line across the length of the table, for about 3 turns. But with the combo of healing, surging and bane chanting where appropriate, I was able to win that grind off after some dicey moments. (WIN 18-3 At: 1615-605)

Game 3 vs Kraken, I mean Nertica - Terry Chapman, Loot

This game had my trademark brain explosions, forgot that the army has ensnare - not my finest moment, followed by, conceding I'd lost the right token, but getting the left one (looking strong) and the middle one, and then taking that unit and running it to the right towards his 3 Kraken and Depth horrors, rather than back towards my own guys. I played like an ass here, and Terry did exactly what I would expect, and stepped on Neck accordingly. (LOSS 6-15 At: 920-1200)

Game 4 vs Ratkin, James Lynch, Secure the Field

James had a beautiful Skaven army (my paint vote!) and this was another tough game, with the battle fought across the centre line. I played this one well IMO, doing something James had not seen, whereby I used my flying beast of Nature to block LOS from his rat deamon 5 turns in a row - with James not wanting to engage knowing I'd then get troops to help out. This highlight was spoiled by my ensnarers failing to break slaves on a 3, to 2 seperate units, wasting 4 turns of combat on them. But the elementals held the line and dropped the skaven eventually, a very tense game that was way closer than the scoreline suggests - Every unit in my army had copped a stack of wounds, but James couldn't finish anything off, and I didn't actually lose a unit until Turn 5. (WIN 19-2 At: 1265-435)

Game 5 vs Goblins, Chris Wilcox, Dominate

The Gobbo Gunline, on the worst scenario, and shocking terrain for me, I had said if I got the side I did, I'd just hide, but given Chris has more unit strength, I ran at him anyway. This game was not me behaving at my best, I had some bad rolls early and was getting frustrated at copping all the shooting - I hope Chris knows my swearing was not directed at him! That said, I had Chris roll average (not above) on nerve checks, and then super healed the targets he was shooting at (if they lived) and had a unit of Earth Elementals die turn 4, which we think took something in the region of over45ish damage before it actually died.
However, its happened against Chris twice now - he didn't advance at all, and whilst he had way more stuff, none of it was in the zone, and I was able to get there - with some rampaging ensnarers, and the second elementals and Greater elemental standing tall, the Green lady standing on front of the shooters stating "thall shall not pass" and I somehow managed the scenario win. (WIN 14-7 At: 820-1060)

Game 6 vs Abyssals, Damian Madigan, Ransack

Damian had a scary hitting Abyssal army, but unlike others, I thought I could match up with it ok. When 2 Harbingers and the Well 1 shotted some Earth elementals, I reconsidered this. But the critical decision was me deciding to go first (I think the only game of the 7 I got the choice) which I was not sure was the right call on this scenario, but allowed my to get the Ensnarers in a forest, with the 3&2 point markers within 3" meaning Damian had to go at them. I managed to drop one of his hordes with Cenataurs, have my druid (Christened Brittney) dodge 3 lightning bursts, get a crucial surge in, heal units as needed, and grind Damian out - this was one of the better games I've played I thought. (WIN 18-3 At: 1335-845)

Game 7 vs Ratkin, Charles Black, Pillage

The returning son, Charles was a dominator of the WHFB scene, and I was his first KoW tourney game at ConVic last year. alot had changed - Charles entered the final round 19 points clear of me in second place.
With Pillage, Rats, him having so many more deployments (his army forshook the wonder weapons for units - his US was off the charts) this game, for a top of the table game, was a non-event.
Charles was also lacking a break from the game before, exhausted, and I could see he was in some real back pain as well. We started off - and it was very obvious a few turns in that, whilst I might kill some stuff, I was never going to get the objectives off him (I had a shocker placing them, and lost the table side roll and turn roll) and Charles, being so far ahead, was not going to risk anything and do something stupid. The game was not going to go anywhere, so we called it where things were, with neither of us going for it, with the condition that we challenge each other with a 100% healthy, rested and ready game next tourney. (LOSS 8-13 At: 1280 - 1020)

Overall, the army did what I wanted it to do, I think, and most of my games were clear user error moments. The different army (I was slow, and didn't hit hard, but ground you out with the healing setup) seemed to throw people off and they didn't really know how to handle it, especially when I had so much inspiring as well. Every game was a real challenge - you take so many wounds and have your heart going from the stress, and you don't kill stuff well, but if you play the scenario well, it can really do a good job.

I was stoked to come third (particuarly with a 4-3 record) but with many of the usual suspects playing poorly on day 1 (Traishy Ev and I all lost 2+ games, other ranked players did as well) Charles streaked ahead, and the rest of us struggled to catch up at all. To get up in the end I was really happy with that podium spot. Charles was clearly the best player of the tourney, and whilst happy to be crowned best Ken again, I was also happy to be second best Ferris, with Ev coming back to take second beating Traishy handily in the last round.

I'd like to thank Eddie for taking the reins and running a great event, and KenD for his organising, as well as putting the invaders up and driving us which makes life so incredibly easier. And for only mentioning the State of Origin loss about once every 90 minutes.
Also thanks to all the locals for coming, and all the travellers, it was great to see a contingent from Canberra, Melbourne and Adelaide travelling as well as newcastle.
Now - to start planning!!! I've already put together 3 lists for ConVic, got a new plan to try out wink.gif

Thanks for reading everyone.

--------------------

+Quote Post
marius
post May 1 2018, 04:16 PM
Post #432

cheers Ken, thanks for taking the time.
+Quote Post
Stallandor
post Jul 3 2018, 12:40 PM
Post #433

Ok Everyone - Tourney review time. ConVic was upon us.

So - to make this trip worthwhile, took Thurs-Fri off, flew to Melbourne on Thursday with Wife, fancy restaurants and accommodation, Yarra trip etc all booked, she flies back Sat arvo, I play toy soldiers. Weekend off to a fabulous start with airport dramas resulting in our 12:20 flight turning into a 6:15 flight that night. Whilst we still made dinner, this was a VERY bad start.

TIP#1 - I will NOT fly Jetstar again. Ever.

However, still made dinner, had a great Friday, and was all good to arrive on Sat morning.
ConVic was an 'escalation tourney' - so lists for games will be included. Games 1&2 were 1250 points. My first round challenge Mr. Charles Black however got cold feet, chickened out, and made sure he was more than 700km from the venue (or someone in his family got sick, either way, you be the judge). Thus - open market for games, and surely an easy game was to follow. My List:

2 Hordes Earth Elementals
2 Regiments Centaurs (1 blade slashing)
1 mounted druid, Surge, Weakness, amulet Fireheart
1 Winged Unicorn, Shroud Saint
1 Greater Earth Elemental
Formation - Boulderguard (IR on all Earth Elementals)

Game 1 - Invade vs Josh Angel (Herd)
Masters player Josh, featuring Herd, with all the eagles. After my bad luck on Thursday, My first dice roll of the game was Centaurs front in into some regiment, 11 hits, 10 wounds, dead. After that, luck over. But I was able to slowly grind my way across the park, and get my hordes and Greater into his zone, whilst losing the centaurs, and taking most of Josh's army with him - including finally on of the hordes of eagles. Last turn say my Winged Unicorn rear charge the last damaged Eagle unit in my zone, giving me a mighty result not indicative of how close this game had been the whole way through.
WIN 18-3 (1250-515)

Game 2 - Pillage vs Adrian 'Staks' Stakula (Dwarves)
Ok 2nd at ConVic where Staks beat me, but I was happy to play him at the smaller size. But he had a lot of shooting - so much so that he dropped my Winged Unicorn with some hot dice on Turn 1.

TIP#2 - don't let your linch pin, vital Heal 10, 'this is my plan' character get shot turn 1. It does not help...

I thought I was done at this point, but Staks then decided he felt bad, and gave me a flank on herneas' rangers with one Earth Horde, letting me drop it, engage the second, standing on 1 objective, whilst the other Horde engaged and beat the dwarves with the Greater's help, whilst the Druid cast weakness on the Organ gun mittigating its damage each turn. Was able to grind this one out, hold his earth elementals off with Centaurs, and claimed the objectives to grind out an unlikely win.
WIN 15-6 (825-510)

Next 2 games we stepped up to 1750 points. List was:

1 Horde Ensnarers (Hammer Measured Force)
2 Hordes Earth Elementals
2 Regiments Centaurs
1 Centaur Chief, (Dwarvern Ale)
1 mounted druid, Surge, Drain Life (Amulet Fireheart)
1 mounted druid, Bane Chant, Drain Life
1 Winged Unicorn, Bane Chant (Shroud Saint)

Game 3 - Tave & Hold vs Clint Richards (Undead)
FFS am I going to get an easy game? Lets just play the#1 player in the country. Clint was playing an all Cav/Flying Undead army, but he usually has an inexplicable habit of throwing games against me. So after the middle token down, and Clint 1 on the half way line, I go to put it on the other side also on the centre, then inexplicably decide to put it on his side of the table (because I usually end up there at the end of the game). Yet - you score from turn 3. about 2 minuted later, I realised I had completely screwed the pooch and lost this game.

Tip#3 - make sure your fool proof plan is of the right scenario, or you look like an idiot

So I advanced as did Clint, I weathered the charge I thought really well, started grinding - but Clint is just scoring free points and getting ahead of me, and this causes me to make some bad decisions trying to kill stuff rather than make good options. Completely outplayed, and Clint thanked me for my incompetence, happy to chalk another game back his way.
LOSS 4-17 (925-1395)

Game 4 - Dominate vs Andrew 'AG' Goodman (Dwarves)
This just gets better, lets play Victoria's allegedly best player (although is that saying much???)
Beer kicking in here - can't remember this one clearly. I know my Ensnarers with hammer were magically lined up against Golloch's Fury and his 2 earth elementals, only to die from shooting in 1 round sad.gif However The centaur hero has his best game ever, dropping the organ guns, and then disordering Golloch later in the game. The Brocks were unable to get through my units with the healing ruining the Dwarf game plan, and my units basically just parked in the zone, and ground against anything thrown at it - I had 1 turn where I was able to front and flank 1 Dwarf Earth Elemental with centaurs and my Greater, and then front and Flank his other one, with both my Earth elementals, and dropping them both meant I had clear rein over the zone from then on.
WIN 17-4 (1025-715)

DAY 1 DONE - poker played and lost to the shark Damien, drinks at the Waltzing Matilda with dinner, followed by a Team game - myself and AG vs Geoff Holland and Josh Angel - our 1750 armies - a Brutal game which we won the scenario by, but much much stuff died. Game was hidden deployment - Geoff put some stuff up pon Facebook about it - good times had by all.

Day 2 - 3x2150 point games on their way:

1 Horde Ensnarers (Brew Strength)
2 Hordes Earth Elementals (1 with Brew Courage)
2 Regiments Cenataurs
1 mounted druid, Surge, Drain Life, Bane Chant (Amulet Fireheart)
1 Green Lady, wild companion
1 Winged Unicorn, Lightning Bolt (Shroud Saint)
2 Beasts Nature, Lightning Bolt, Viscous and Attacks

Game 5 - Eliminate vs Mike 'Mikecro' Crossman (Brotherhood)
God dammit... Mike I have never beaten (1 loss to be fair) and this was an army that I was worried about. I actually thought I played this one pretty well, giving him really difficult options, dropping one of his 2 ensnare beasts early, and getting my bounty holding ensnarers, up in a forest really making Mike run away from them. That said, on the other side my Centaurs did a noble job holding up Redemption Knights, but were never going to last.
This game turned with 1 sequence, the Forsaken Peg knights instead of finishing off a wavered centaur unit flew over them to tag and kill my druid, putting them behind my army. I then charged a damaged regiment of some ######ty infantry with my Horde of Earth Elementals, and only wavered them, giving the forsaken a rear charge on them, giving him the first bounty and the advantage in army trades going forward. At that point in the game, we had both lost almost everything but the bounty holding units, and the hard to get stuff (the Green lady, his archers and siege engines) but that unit holding not letting me turn to face that charge really hurt me (that said - why were they there in the first place Ken???)
LOSS 4-17 (1565-900)

Tip#5 - don't let flying hordes of knights rear charge your bounty units...

Game 6 - Control vs Peter Spiller (undead)
On Turn 1, my new found lightening bolt casters (I'd never taken this before last game) pinged his Liche priest - the only inspiring unit around his 5 units on the centre/left of me, and rolled 11 twice to kill it. Turn 1.

Tip#6 - dropping the only inspiring character over a 60" area with 11 twice really gives you an advantage.

Pete - not happy. Prob fair enough. We then had my 2 Centaur units plus Green lady, and 1 beast of nature square off against his flying Pharoah, his regenerating Vamp on foot, werewolves and troop Ghouls. After 6 turns, the 2 undead characters were alive, still fighting the green lady, Beast, and 1 Centaur regiment. I swear the centaurs probably took 20+ damage, and the Pharoah was not far behind, but that really stopped Pete getting help (and inspiring) to the centre.
In the centre, I was able to scare off the Flying Revenant King, tag him with a Beast of Nature, which eventually died, but the Greater Earth Elemental finished him off. That said, the flying Wraiths caused me all sorted of dramas - my ensnarers couldn't finish them off, and they copped his Revenant Infantry Horde in the flank... dam. But the Earth Elementals wore his other charges, Ground them out, and was able to drop his knights and wraiths eventually (with some lightening help) and game me the units to claim the quarters needed for victory.
WIN 17-4 (1445-805)

1 game to go, I'm a mile behind, some of these guys were cleaning up with huge victories, and the top players had all played each other, so really just playing for a final spot by this stage.

Game 7 Push vs Steven Tuck (Twilight Kin)
This game was a real mind bender. Steven had 3 Dragons. 2 flying hordes, Reg knights, horde chariots, and horde crossbows with piercing. small, elite, tough. both his tokens however sat on the crossbows given everything else copped a seed penalty.
I moved up, and lightening the chariot horde - Waver! awesome. copped a lot of fire in return, Winged Unicorn damaged etc - but 1 more lightening, and no inspiring around meant the chariots were gone. Meanwhile, the Ensnarers were on his side of the table, in a forest, and my earth elementals picked up the centre loot token. Steven's dragons were not given any good charges, but by turn 3 the angles on display were causing trig-based headaches for both of us.
Essentially, I couldn't hold them off forever and the Dragons started doing damage, but I was able to get into his crossbows with ensnarers and earth horde (no dice, didn't drop them...). I also then countered 1 dragon with the Bast of Nature, flanked it with Centaurs, and rolled the snake eyes - used my tourney reroll, and rolled a 1 again... sigh...
The earth elemental dropped some tortured souls, copped a dragon and lived, the green lady ran operation human shield for the ensnarers to great effect, and I charged the ensnarers at his dragon last turn thinking my green lady could block the charge, was informed it wouldn't, and got extremely ######ty with myself, rules, life and other matters. But when I didn't kill the dragon and bounced back, then I couldn't get flanked. I shouldn't get some grumpy - or be so drunk and tired. This game ended up with an 8-1 scenario score my way - but was super tough and I was down on attrition. Was a great game.
WIN 15-6 (1300-1730).

Overall, came 4th. Again. but that's all good - I thought I played really well most of the time, and know I was in it and a tad unlucky against Mike, whilst had a complete brain explosion vs Clint - lack of practice more than anything else.
ConVic is an awesome tourney - I had a great time, have come away quite enthusiastic about the hobby again, and wil get cracking on the fortunes and masters pack for everyone - hope to see you all at Fortunes in November, if not before!
Thanks to Geoff and AG for all their organising efforts, congrats to Clint - now qualified for Masters, as well as Staks and Mike for their podium finishes. See you next time!!!

--------------------

+Quote Post

22 Pages V « < 20 21 22
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th November 2019 - 12:47 AM