Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> High Elves in KOW v2, Ressurecting my dreams of big-block wargaming :)
D_Arquebus
post Jul 12 2017, 09:02 PM
Post #1

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 10,027

Howdy all,

So I've dragged my old, mostly, pre-millenium High Elf forces out of the cupboard of shame and have been taking a look through Easy Army for the options. So far I have been working on the following.

My thoughts so far are to run 66%+ for multi-basing only for my more limited forces and closer to the 80-100% mark for the more common plastics. Each base of Troops can then be combined with others to make Regiments or Hordes as required and also split up for ease of travel and storage.

Elves are Elite so I expect to be outnumbered mostly. But is thee a ball park for any/ all army's units numbers around the 2k mark?

Locked in:

Tallspears - 50 Spearmen (6 Troop bases at 8/ base)
Archers - 60 Archers (6 Troops bases at 10/base)
Palace Guard - 19 Swordmasters - (2 Troop bases at 9/base or flesh out with some reasonably available plastics to 3 Bases at 8/ base)
Glade Stalkers - 9-12 Shadow warriors (2 Troop bases at 6/base)
Bolt Throwers - 4 Bolt Throwers
Hunters of the Wild - 21 White Lions, mix of Marauder and '96 addition (3 troop bases at 7/base)

Work to be done on distinguishing the units:

Silverbreeze Cavalry - X? old metal and newer plastic Illyrian Reavers - bow armed/ no spears, preferably less/no barding on steeds (4/ base)
Stormwind Cavalry - X? old metal and newer plastic Illyrian Reavers - spear/lance armed with some/ more barding on steeds (5/ base)

Never really liked the Silverhelms and so have none. The Barding + Spears vs Bow + No Barding riders look pretty distinct. And numbers will also be a strong indicator (4 vs 5) for opponents. Enough?

War Chariots - X? mix of very old and new plastic High Elf chariots. Option is there for 2/3 or 4/6 for the multi bases with these guys?

Uncertain:

Heroes - Assorted characters are ok. Main need to find a Dragon or Two I like to use for the big boys. Maybe a Flame Phoenix for the Dragon Rider? Solidifying the Bird vs Dragon motif of the force as a whole.
Drakon Riders? - what are others using/ seen used? Thinking maybe tracking down Griffon riders from Storm of Blood to use 2/3 per base and
Dragon Breath? - what is this supposed to be? Flame Cannon?

Not Interested:

Forest Shamblers and Warden - Not to fussed by the Wood Elf stuff.
Sea Guard - not too fussed and never got the Lothern Seas Guard minis to use.
Green Lady's Wild Guard - no minis to use.. may look at them in fullness of time

Cheers smile.gif

--------------------
ausbowl.com - The home of Australian Blood Bowl
theendzone.co- The burgeoning home of New Zealand Blood Bowl
thenaf.net - Home of the NAF (Worldwide Blood Bowl Community)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mikecro
post Jul 12 2017, 10:33 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,103

Welcome aboard smile.gif KoW is a great game, I hope you enjoy it!

For 2k, I'd expect 11-13 units in total for an elf army. Could go more elite and have 9-10 but wouldn't recommend it

--------------------
QUOTE(Stallandor @ Feb 1 2017, 11:19 AM) *
Victoria has its MikeCro. All hail Mikecro, MikeCon, and the the state of Mikecronesia

Vagabonds Club
+Quote Post
Stallandor
post Jul 13 2017, 11:06 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 306

Hi D_Arq!

Glad your on board. Some advice for your modelling if I were you - from what you have below here:

Tallspears - 50 Spearmen (6 Troop bases at 8/ base)
You will really only field these as hardes, and 2 would be good. I would be saying make the 50 2x25 model hordes, and boom - done.

Archers - 60 Archers (6 Troops bases at 10/base)
This also needs to be 2 Hordes, possibly 2 hordes and a troop. You definitely want at least 1 Horde, and then a horde and troop or 2 regiments with these models

Palace Guard - 19 Swordmasters - (2 Troop bases at 9/base or flesh out with some reasonably available plastics to 3 Bases at 8/ base)
Put these on troop bases as troops of these guys rock, but make sure they can rank up as regiments as well.

Glade Stalkers - 9-12 Shadow warriors (2 Troop bases at 6/base)
Yup, perfect

Bolt Throwers - 4 Bolt Throwers
Yup - Perfect.

Hunters of the Wild - 21 White Lions, mix of Marauder and '96 addition (3 troop bases at 7/base)
Mate these guys (white lions) can be your palace guard or these guys. The hunters wild are not great to be honest. put em on troop bases but don't lock your mindset on on what these guys will be.

Silverbreeze Cavalry - X? old metal and newer plastic Illyrian Reavers - bow armed/ no spears, preferably less/no barding on steeds (4/ base)
Stormwind Cavalry - X? old metal and newer plastic Illyrian Reavers - spear/lance armed with some/ more barding on steeds (5/ base)

You don't have any dragon princes? The cav is ok, but you can do without. use what you have.

War Chariots - X? mix of very old and new plastic High Elf chariots. Option is there for 2/3 or 4/6 for the multi bases with these guys?
Definetly worth having, so see what you can do, multi base troop size units if you can.

Heroes - Assorted characters are ok. Main need to find a Dragon or Two I like to use for the big boys. Maybe a Flame Phoenix for the Dragon Rider? Solidifying the Bird vs Dragon motif of the force as a whole.
[/i]You need a Dragon. see what you have. otherwise, mages and BSB's mounted are best

Drakon Riders? - what are others using/ seen used? Thinking maybe tracking down Griffon riders from Storm of Blood to use 2/3 per base and
[/i]Anything on a 40mm base that can fly. Great Eagle etc as a character. For units, great eagles or warhawk riders, small dragons, find anything you can, you definitely want at least 1 Horde of these.

Dragon Breath? - what is this supposed to be? Flame Cannon?
Its a 40mm base. You could use 2 of your bolt throwers. These things are good. little baby dragons or something as well, see what you have.

Not Interested:
Green Lady's Wild Guard - no minis to use.. may look at them in fullness of time
Dude, these guys are hunters wild. If you have them, you have these.

For your interest, here is my current planned Elf list - I think its pretty good:

Horde Archers - Heart Seeking Chant
Horde Tallspears - Brew Strength
Troop Palace Guard
Regiment Stormwind Cav - Blade Slashing
Horde Drakons - Healing brew
2x Dragon Breath (you can swap for bolt throwers)
BSB - mounted, Lute
Mage - mounted, Soul Drain, Inspiring Talisman
Mage - mounted, Soul Drain
Dragon Kindred Lord - Chant Hate

But Swordies Elf list is completely different, there are many ways to build a list!

--------------------
Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile away, and have their shoes.

Check out the Australian Kings of War Rankings - http://oz-kow-rankings.appspot.com/region=2&game=5
+Quote Post
D_Arquebus
post Jul 13 2017, 02:33 PM
Post #4

Cheers gents smile.gif

Will have to take a look around for one-two pieces and trial some games. smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
HaggisMacbeth
post Jul 13 2017, 08:15 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 12,893

Welcome! Since you're after big block wargaming I think you'll find you'll love KoW. While not everyone takes big units and hordes, they are not weak and you'll be able to compete with them. I personally can't get enough hordes!

Put some pics up as you multi-base. Would be great to see them. Love the 90s GW figures
+Quote Post
N.I.C.K
post Jul 13 2017, 09:02 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 5,981

Do yourself a fsvoue mm favor and check out swordmaster blog on elves its unreal (further down on the first page of topics on this forum).

--------------------
QUOTE(Ehsteve @ Apr 9 2015, 01:56 PM) *

I have seen that word (fued, fu'ed, and all variants therein) many times in the past few months...what does it mean?

Adjective; Fued: The art of being inherently awesome, having excessive amounts of swag and generally giving zero farks.

Active member of the Infernal Muppets Gaming Club | Tweet @lecopoutking
+Quote Post
JPM
post Jul 15 2017, 03:47 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 2,068

Hutchie, assuming you're back in Sydney, if you want a game let me know, happy to tee one up with you.
+Quote Post
D_Arquebus
post Jul 15 2017, 12:25 PM
Post #8

@haggismcbeth - cheers mate, will do once production begins smile.gif

@NICK thanks man. Very useful insights.

QUOTE(JPM @ Jul 15 2017, 03:47 AM) *

Hutchie, assuming you're back in Sydney, if you want a game let me know, happy to tee one up with you.

Hey JPM, long time no see smile.gif . Will def hit you up for a game. New SLOBB BB 16 rules kicking off if youre keen wink.gif smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th July 2019 - 12:17 AM