Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Naval wargaming, Mostly WW2 but also including Napoleonic and Brown water stuff
b20f08
post Jun 17 2020, 10:25 AM
Post #21

Ten Guitars
Group Icon

Group: Support Veteran
Member No.: 6,935

Lucky I have one of those perpetual licenses for SKUP. Downloaded the latest 2020 Pro version. But am not in a hurry to rectify the perceived "faulty" STL files. Happy enough to continue printing out the aphract triremes as that's all I need for the planned Salamis naval game.

Switching also to Naumachiae for my naval rules Ancients. Haven't played them but browsed through the pages and found them a lot more interesting and involved than the quick play set I downloaded recently. Rules compliment the scale -- 1/1200 (coauthor is the owner and creator of Langton Miniatures) so the pedigree (especially in the details) should be a recommendation.

Printing is slow with lots of bad prints. I won't blame my outdated printer (ten years old now) but for every run of decent enough prints I get the occasional run of bad prints where it's just a waste of filament. Oh well...

IPB Image

Of the twenty-two printed over the past two days, two are the heavier cataphract triremes. Fifty-odd to go. Cheers.

This post has been edited by b20f08: Jun 17 2020, 10:27 AM

--------------------
"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing!" for Spike Milligan, Dave Chapelle & Charles Bukowski
"Life without regrets is no life at all" Yip Man
"If you lack technique you lose the freedom to create" Paco de Lucia
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
b20f08
post Jun 17 2020, 10:44 AM
Post #22

Ten Guitars
Group Icon

Forgot to add that I will be conducting another solo historical campaign between two fictional city-states set on the Peloponnesian peninsular. I'll be using two rulesets: Hoplomachia (15mm) for my land warfare component and Naumachiae (1/1200) for the naval part. Both rules are outside the scope of what is current and/or popular for wargaming these days. Or maybe they are equally as popular but not well known? Don't think it really matters. I like both sets because they express (to me) exactly that flavour of the period which is what historical gaming is all about, no? Right from conducting a sacrifice before going into battle (Hoplomachia) and raking oars (Naumachiae). These are little things but they add up and paint an appealing picture for this geriatric wargamer. Cheers.

IPB Image

This post has been edited by b20f08: Jun 17 2020, 10:45 AM

--------------------
"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing!" for Spike Milligan, Dave Chapelle & Charles Bukowski
+Quote Post
b20f08
post Jun 21 2020, 02:59 AM
Post #23

Ten Guitars
Group Icon

Heyup. Just checking and letting those interested to know that this will probably be my last post here as I'm heading back to my blogsite and continue posting stuff from now on. Catch you guys around. Take care. Link.

--------------------
+Quote Post
b20f08
post Jul 13 2020, 05:42 AM
Post #24

Ten Guitars
Group Icon

Hey y'all. Back again. Can't keep away. Just to keep the bots happy. Ancient Naval solo game played last night - Battle of Salamis, Sep 480 BC. Full batrep on bogsite. Just a couple of snaps. Chur bro!

IPB Image

IPB Image

--------------------
+Quote Post
b20f08
post Yesterday, 11:24 AM
Post #25

Ten Guitars
Group Icon

Had fun playing this game. Keen to try a couple of the other scenarios just to fully engage myself with the ruleset before moving on.

Speaking of moving on, I am likely to start my Peloponnesian Little Wars in the summer now. I have not yet progressed beyond the reading stage (Naumachiae rules and re-reading Hoplomachia). Then there is the preparation and planning stage, and then the Gaming and Reporting stage.

And I have to fit this into an already fairly active gaming and modelling schedule. Most of these other projects are not necessarily purely naval in origins but remain at various stages of development. Coordinating all of this involves a lot of time and effort.

====================================

Other naval games/projects consciously planned in general order of priority look to include:

1) Finding a suitable alternative to 3D printing of lots of triremes (wasting valuable filament) for my Peloponnesian Little Wars campaign. May resort to a 2D counter systems and/or boardgame format. Shouldn't be too hard to realize.

2) Napoleonic port-and-pretzel fun with TFL's Kiss Me Hardy rules. Feeling all nautical and pirate-y like just then. Aargh, you scurvy dog, you. Walk the plank with ya, matey!

3) A suitably short and quick (lol) WW2 naval and naval air ops using GQ IV rules. Probably go into the Pacific this time for another big ship confronation. Or maybe a fight between carrier groups. May also revisit a postponed map and tabletop project: Battle of the Coral Sea to resurrect it and maybe restart it next year.

So, a lot more than expected. But at least it keeps me inside and relatively happy. Take care.

Link below is to a YouTube music video (no, not Rick rolled). From a popular US soul/rnb/funk group called Maze. Unfortunately, they're hardly mainstream here in Oz. And sadly the best of soul/rnb/funk from this era still comes from the US. Bigger range too. Regards.

https://youtu.be/WoFt3_m76eg

This post has been edited by b20f08: Yesterday, 01:33 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th July 2020 - 11:33 PM