Post #1

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 4,532

Not Game specific.
Use dot points for topics, such as...

Trade stand: No signs.
Food: Long Lines,
Food: Too expensive etc

Good comments will be deleted (When I find out how). See the other thread for them.

--------------------
Tim Sleigh

Organiser:
Cancon and Wintercon
www.cgs.asn.au

Currently trying to find time to play: 40K, Bolt Action, FoW, TY, KoW, BKC, X-Wing, FoG: AM, Memoir 44 and FoG:N

Unreal Estates
Wargames Scenery and Models
"If you want it, I can make it or try to paint it."
(Also now playing with my new 3D printer.)

Comments will be either as my role of Organiser of Cancon/Wintercon, or as a player of various games and maker of stuff. If any post I make does not make sense in one context, try the other.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Gortag
post Jan 31 2013, 03:17 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 3,939

A/c blasting for the "people" playing with carboard and such , whist those who play with real man dollys got to melt and expire in the heat. Turn on the a/c to both building !!!!

Food..overpriced and quite boring

toilets...Gentlemen urine goes in the toilet, not all over the floor/seat/wall..If u cant aim then sit down .

Somewhere apart from toilets clearly marked where you could refill your water bottle

+Quote Post
Darth Eddie
post Jan 31 2013, 08:39 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 8,840

The main things from Cancon WGT Epic is as follows,
1, Aircon in the main area were the 40k, FoW and so on where played did hardly anything.
2, Cost of drinks $4.50 for a coke or water yes water.
3, signs within the halls not great but there was some.
4, Numbers at event, you need to cap it so TOs can set up and get equipment in if they get more equipment than needed then yes open more spots up but not the other way round.

I know some of this you can't control but you may need to chat to the powers that be about it.
Hope this is helpful.

--------------------
IF ONE OF MY POSTS UPSETS YOU, GET A TISSUE AND DRY YOUR EYES PRINCESS.

ITS NOT POLITICS, ITS PAINTING.
+Quote Post
Oceanborn
post Feb 1 2013, 09:53 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 266

Main hall was a sweltering temperature

Not specifically CGS/running of cancon related, however they may wish to point this out to traders:
Organisation of items in Trade stands - some stands were well organised, but others had all items related to specific game systems just dumped in large boxes, making it time consuming to find the items that you may have been looking for. At the very least having these separated by faction would've made it much easier, and allowed people playing games (so limited time for looking at the stands) to find items they may have been looking for.

--------------------
"Heavy Metal
-what was considered by parents to be non-musical and dangerous before rap came along
."
There's nothing cuter than baby's first thumbscrews
Area of Melbourne equating to the devastation in Hiroshima
+Quote Post
hongihika
post Feb 1 2013, 10:08 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 2,547

Aircon - a problem in tourney hall, stinky on Monday (phew)

Water - especially when it's hot, shouldn't be $4.50 a bottle

Breakout area? - somewhere to crack open newly-bought boardgames, or play a small game of summink? Somewhere, after the tourneys are finished for the day, to play some quick wargames later into the night?

Bring n Buy - crowded for the first couple of hours, a pain carrying stuff up and down those stairs. Spose it's the only room available, and it's got AC.

Unpainted stuff - doesn't look good, I reckon.
+Quote Post
maestro
post Feb 4 2013, 07:33 PM
Post #6

Warrior Poet

Member No.: 2,487

Again, as a TO (infinity):

Agree with the aircon. Especially since where we (infinity) were, think we were in a deadzone, and it was sweltering. 10m either side felt like at least the air was moving. Having been at numerous cancons, this year the external temp was lower, but the aircon hardly felt like it was on - definitely the worst of the 6 or so ancons i've attended.

Also agree with the water issue. Either have easy and free access for refillng water bottles,or don't charge $4.50 per bottle. For our comp, one of my co-organisers actually paid out of his own pocket to provide eskies of cold water for our players.

Power - if the TO tables aren't by the walls (as per the table plans) and we've indicated we need power, be nice to have this already set up, rather than having to find a yellow shirt, find the extension cords, negotiate with the other three comps that need the single power point, buy a double adapter, run the extension cord under the floor panels, bring in a power board for myself and the neighbouring TO table...

Prizes - earlier we know how much of the entry fees we're getting, easier it is to organise the prizes. This relates to my main point next...

"Pay on the day" - ok, from a pure TO perspective, next year i'll be asking to exclude my event from this. It means that a player can not show up on the day and have no penalty. Fortunately i didn't have this eventuating, but had no way of knowing who was actually going to show up on the day. Conversely, it meant CGS was still counting players for my comp i knew had pulled out a month before but not told CGS, which screwed up table allocation and prize support. It's a nice idea for last minute entrants with TO discretion, but don't give it as an upfront option.

Finally, maybe have a yellow shirt visit each TO either on the friday or early on the Saturday, just so if there are any issues they're easy to resolve, rather than running around trying to find someone.

Sorry, always easier to criticise than praise, and overall things went great, and appreciate your efforts! Just trying to offer some areas for improvement! Look forward to 2014.

This post has been edited by maestro: Feb 4 2013, 09:02 PM
+Quote Post
Durkah
post Feb 4 2013, 08:55 PM
Post #7

Broken Badass

Member No.: 6,267

Not in Melbourne. Biggest problem.

--------------------
"Just wow" The new meta for getting banned on WAU. Lives claimed since November 2014: 2

QUOTE(esrun @ Feb 8 2012, 04:53 PM) *
DND = do not disturb

I always play this especially while fapping.

Anthony Z:

"I don't understand why you take morale tests from dangerous terrain. Did you see what that rock did to Jim, quick run"

"######e tourney... Better alternative to going is masturbating with sand paper"

QUOTE(Elliot.Yung @ May 12 2013, 09:23 PM) *
You know your rule knowledge is bad when Shaun Hogan is correcting you :P

QUOTE(JBrehaut @ Mar 18 2015, 10:30 AM) *
If you really knew how to pullout, you wouldn't need a babysitter
+Quote Post
maestro
post Feb 4 2013, 09:04 PM
Post #8

Warrior Poet

Member No.: 2,487

QUOTE(Durkah @ Feb 4 2013, 09:55 PM) *

Not in Melbourne. Biggest problem.

Think you've mixed up your responses - should be in the "things done right" thread...
+Quote Post
Bane
post Feb 4 2013, 09:19 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 116

suggest you run melbcon instead durkah

may i suggest sometime in melboures seemingly endless winter?

Cancon

Bad

AIRCON - seemed worse this year than any previous years and the temp wasnt that bad outside.

Events - allot of them seemed to pack in way too much time gaming which didnt allow time to browse or spend money, maybe have a point where all games must end and stalls stay open long enough for the gamers to have a quick look and spend.

Stalls - on that point its always a bugger when the stalls all pack up at lunchtime on the last day, the one day where things tend to wrap up and you have time to kill while results are calculated.

--------------------
want daemons
+Quote Post
Durkah
post Feb 4 2013, 09:20 PM
Post #10

Broken Badass

Member No.: 6,267

QUOTE(Bane @ Feb 4 2013, 10:19 PM) *

suggest you run melbcon instead durkah

may i suggest sometime in melboures seemingly endless winter?

Already looking at it. Problem is limited long weekends. Got the venues for it. Just need people to help run it. tongue.gif

And I still stand, should of been in Melb.

--------------------
"Just wow" The new meta for getting banned on WAU. Lives claimed since November 2014: 2

QUOTE(esrun @ Feb 8 2012, 04:53 PM) *
DND = do not disturb

I always play this especially while fapping.

Anthony Z:

"I don't understand why you take morale tests from dangerous terrain. Did you see what that rock did to Jim, quick run"

"######e tourney... Better alternative to going is masturbating with sand paper"

QUOTE(Elliot.Yung @ May 12 2013, 09:23 PM) *
You know your rule knowledge is bad when Shaun Hogan is correcting you :P

QUOTE(JBrehaut @ Mar 18 2015, 10:30 AM) *
If you really knew how to pullout, you wouldn't need a babysitter
+Quote Post
Starfire
post Feb 4 2013, 09:42 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 7,286

I just bought water from Woolies and brought it in. 79c for 1.5L.

--------------------
QUOTE(Prince Raven @ May 11 2014, 07:43 PM) *

You know what? I give up, this is like playing chess with pidgeon. I'm going to leave while I still have enough brain cells to make the decision.

+Quote Post
Jyggdrasil
post Feb 4 2013, 10:34 PM
Post #12

Herald of the Jagnarok

Member No.: 311

QUOTE(maestro @ Feb 4 2013, 08:33 PM) *
"Pay on the day" - ok, from a pure TO perspective, next year i'll be asking to exclude my event from this. It means that a player can not show up on the day and have no penalty. Fortunately i didn't have this eventuating, but had no way of knowing who was actually going to show up on the day. Conversely, it meant CGS was still counting players for my comp i knew had pulled out a month before but not told CGS, which screwed up table allocation and prize support. It's a nice idea for last minute entrants with TO discretion, but don't give it as an upfront option.

Totally agree. I would prefer 'pay at the door' not be allowed as an option for pre-registrations.

--------------------
"Humans need fantasy to be human. To
be the place where the falling angel meets
the rising ape."

T. Pratchett
~ Hogfather
+Quote Post
reshy
post Jan 14 2014, 08:41 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

Group: WargamerAU Sponsor
Member No.: 10,689

Really hope some of the aircon/water complaints were taken into stride :S
+Quote Post
emplion
post Jan 28 2014, 02:15 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 2,795

Thought I'd start up for 2014... tongue.gif

Over in the Warmachine section Jason has asked us for feed back on his event(s) and one of the issues was something not in his control.

Even though his tourney seemed to occupy a large part of the hall the players had to navigate past smaller tourneys to get to the area. Next year would it be possible to provide a couple of "roads" through the tables in the small hall as they are used in the large hall? Or perhaps place the Warmahordes section so that it either edged right up to the board games pen or the lazer tag castle?

This post has been edited by emplion: Jan 28 2014, 02:17 PM

--------------------
Paul - boardgamer
+Quote Post
cmdr_roy
post Jan 28 2014, 05:58 PM
Post #15

Pavè Accredited

Member No.: 101

Agree with the above.

Table layout/space for Warmachine was cramped as, 120+ players and we get squished in the corner.
Board games had more space and paid a fraction of our fees!
Speaking of which, if I pay a weekend fee I shouldn't be asked to pay $10 to sit in the board game area to play my own game.

The whole rego system needs an overhaul in regards to registering for different events at different times and being able to change your own entries.
Emailing CGS to get changes made is crazy, I didn't have to do it but spoke to others who did, changes weren't made and they missed out on games.
Have a look at the aon system used in Melbourne.

--------------------
Reuse Repurpose Recycle

If your having adventuring problems I feel sorry for you son,
I dodged 99 arrows but my knee got one.

Say hello to my little friend!
+Quote Post
zed
post Jan 28 2014, 06:18 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 771

Will echo a couple of the thoughts of other people -
  • Aircon - stopped several times and was not very effective.
  • Water - at $4.50 it was too expensive, especially given the heat.
  • Tables - For some of the events they were too close together. It meant you were bumping into the people behind you, and if people were still playing it could be difficult to get past the players to be able to leave.
  • Cleanliness - Agree with the comments about the Mens toilet, but on the last day, it seemed that the area around the canteen needed some cleaning as well. Maybe more facilities staff??
+Quote Post
Speedhump
post Jan 29 2014, 11:33 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 4,532

I will be putting together a "Post Cancon Player's" survey in the next few days.
The link will be here and on the CGS website.

In the meantime...

The corridor disappeared in C pavilion.
Some events moved a bit.
Next year I am looking at a 3m wide corridor down the center of the hall, similar to B pavilion.

We thought the space would be enough, next year, I will increase space between tables pairs to 1.5m. This will reduce the number of people who can enter.

The Air-con was turned on and off a few times during the days. this was in response to players saying it was too cold, too hot etc.

Water prices etc are set by the Canteen. We have no control at all over it. And believe me, we have tried.
Please make a mention of this in the appropriate survey section.

The cleaners came in 2 times a day. I am starting to wonder what they actually did.

I am happy for any suggestions on rego systems to look at. We like the SBG system, but I may need someone smarter than me to handle it next year.

Changes to rego's were HELL!!!.
Seriously, my only fear each day was an email from Jason saying "X wants to move from Y tournie to Z tournie, with G taking his place, except for the second day, where he will play F" I discovered (Too late) that the system can be set up to allow players to make their own changes. and will be looking into how this works in the lead up to Wintercon. Please note: IF THE SYSTEM MAKES ME DO IT, THERE WILL BE A FEE FOR IT. I think one person changed two times, then did not even attend.

Some o the things that were "bad" were our fault, and we should have known better. Others were not our fault (Beyond out control), but we will try to fix in both cases.

Keep letting me know what to do better, it is how we improve the event.

--------------------
Tim Sleigh

Organiser:
Cancon and Wintercon
www.cgs.asn.au

Currently trying to find time to play: 40K, Bolt Action, FoW, TY, KoW, BKC, X-Wing, FoG: AM, Memoir 44 and FoG:N

Unreal Estates
Wargames Scenery and Models
"If you want it, I can make it or try to paint it."
(Also now playing with my new 3D printer.)

Comments will be either as my role of Organiser of Cancon/Wintercon, or as a player of various games and maker of stuff. If any post I make does not make sense in one context, try the other.
+Quote Post
slayerofmen
post Jan 29 2014, 02:04 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 8,468

the only really issue the fantasy players seemed to have was at rego.

ticket cost them $60 but some other unknown option (not a shirt) made it cost 20 more. so maybe look into that

--------------------
rojo:

I always thought the Corpse Carts were part of the Von Carsteins commitment to the Imperial Tidy Towns initiative and Keep Sylvannia Beautiful programs. A sort of anti-littering crew for body parts...
+Quote Post
dkou
post Jan 29 2014, 05:34 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 1,440

my only complaint at this stage was the food stalls/shops. They were very deceitful

$8.50 for a cheeseburger or a beef burger is $8.00 but both were identical..
$4.50 for a 600ml coke as per signage provided with a 470ml coke for same price, when confronted he shrugged his shoulders...and charged $4.50.

No wonder day two people were bringing their own food/drinks in.

--------------------
Sellick
A Direct Misfire podcast rambler

Direct Misfire Facebook
Direct Misfire Youtube
+Quote Post
Greatwolf Glen
post Jan 29 2014, 06:03 PM
Post #20

Traitor General

Member No.: 5,018

QUOTE(dkou @ Jan 29 2014, 05:34 PM) *

my only complaint at this stage was the food stalls/shops. They were very deceitful

$8.50 for a cheeseburger or a beef burger is $8.00 but both were identical..
$4.50 for a 600ml coke as per signage provided with a 470ml coke for same price, when confronted he shrugged his shoulders...and charged $4.50.

No wonder day two people were bringing their own food/drinks in.

Food prices and the food are a joke and have always been like this as Speedhump mentioned it's beyond there control.

I recommend a hearty breakfast, and after the day's play head some where for a decent feed.

--------------------
"As a rule of thumb, the designers do not hide "easter eggs" in the rules. If clever reading is required to unlock some sort of hidden option, then it is most likely just a result of wishful thinking." Pete Haines ;)
+Quote Post

6 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2019 - 11:50 PM