Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Angelus Starts a WAAARGH!!, Painting and Modelling to keep your sanity (whats left of it)(WIP pict
Angelus
post Mar 5 2018, 10:54 PM
Post #1

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 15,396

So lately life has gotten busier and busier, which has meant that the models on the shelf have gotten dustier and dustier, and the longer it is between hobby sessions the harder its become to pick up a brush. To get back into the hobby I've decided to try something different; at least 5 minutes of meaningful hobby per day, so not pottering around the shed moving things around to reorganise, I mean sitting and actively building models or painting unfinished projects. I'm going to use this channel to help keep myself accountable to this endeavour of mine, and will post some various WIP photos and descriptions as I go along.

So my first and second day of 5 minutes involved picking up some ork shoota boys and continuing from where they were left off, over 4 months ago. just some basic work on the clothes, putting brown on all the appropriate areas. apparently 4 months of no painting leaves your hands a little unsteady so the work is a little sloppy, but I'll clean that mess up when doing final touches.

The next couple of days will be loading up the rest of the metal over the guns and swords and then a darker brown for different leathers.

This post has been edited by Angelus: Apr 1 2018, 07:36 PM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Arch_Magos_Kasen
post Mar 5 2018, 11:05 PM
Post #2

Tomato
Group Icon

Group: WargamerAU Sponsor
Member No.: 6,619

Nice man, good luck. I know how hard it is to make time to actually work on stuff, a few months slips by very fast. Looking forward to pics.

--------------------
Puns about communism aren't funny unless everyone gets them.

Soon there'll be no freedoms left for threatening, then we'll have won the war, take that terrorism! ~ Juice Media
+Quote Post
Angelus
post Mar 6 2018, 10:45 PM
Post #3

thanks AMK. Yeah I'd like to get some photos up in the next day or 2, but photobucket has been glitchy for me lately. does anyone have any suggestions for other sites that work well with showing images here?

today my 5 minutes dragged into 20, which is good as I got more stuff done and am pretty pleased with how the boyz are coming along. I have added some Ironbreaker paint to their guns, and patchy armour, makes them look kinda shiny at the moment (not very Orky I know, i'll make them dirtier later)

+Quote Post
Arch_Magos_Kasen
post Mar 6 2018, 11:54 PM
Post #4

Tomato
Group Icon

Photobucket decided it didn't want people to use it any more. I use imgur these days, works fine.

--------------------

Soon there'll be no freedoms left for threatening, then we'll have won the war, take that terrorism! ~ Juice Media
+Quote Post
Angelus
post Mar 7 2018, 09:07 PM
Post #5

Thanks AMK, yeah ive noticed that haha

So today I spent abit more time learning how to use imgur instead of painting, but spent some time adding more ironbreaker to the orks. I think tomorrow I might mix it up and splash some red on the orks, but for now I think i've managed to get some WIP photos of the squad im working on at the moment, as well as a completed ork (except the base, i haven't decided how im going to do those, kind of a mad max sand blasted ork theme i think)

IPB Image

This post has been edited by Angelus: Mar 7 2018, 09:10 PM
+Quote Post
Angelus
post Mar 7 2018, 09:11 PM
Post #6

IPB Image

IPB Image

there we go, took a couple of attempts to get the photos to a normal(ish) size, let me know if they are too small, and I'll play around with imgur some more (unless someone can advise which size images work, i think the options were:
Original · Small Square · Big Square · Small Thumbnail · Medium Thumbnail · Large Thumbnail · Huge Thumbnail)

This post has been edited by Angelus: Mar 7 2018, 09:12 PM
+Quote Post
Arch_Magos_Kasen
post Mar 7 2018, 10:05 PM
Post #7

Tomato
Group Icon

Those look really good mate!

I usually go with the large thumbnail size.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Angelus
post Mar 8 2018, 08:45 PM
Post #8

thanks again AMK I'll try that next smile.gif

today's painting session went way over my 5 minutes (which is great, I got lots done on the squad). I've kept going with the steel on the guns and armour (these shootas have alot apparently), I also started to splash some mephiston red onto them as well, doing hair, loose cloth some symbols. I've been free handing 2 red lines on some sections of armour, and the general theme of the army has been the 'Red Hair Pirates' (yes the crew from One Piece, captained by Shanks)

IPB Image

IPB Image

This post has been edited by Angelus: Mar 8 2018, 08:45 PM
+Quote Post
Angelus
post Mar 12 2018, 11:21 PM
Post #9

I love long weekends, there is so much time to get things done. I haven't posted progress over last couple of days because there has been a constant stream of painting this weekend. The squad of boyz has had all of the leather straps completed, as well as the metal. I picked a couple of different browns to do the leather straps to add some extra flavour to the squad (don't want to have everything look the same as that gets old, especially with 50+ boyz in the army).

IPB Image
IPB Image

the next stage was cleaning up some of the mistakes that I made early on, just the green skin (goblin green and dark angels green) and the leathers of clothes and straps (snakebite leather, scorched brown, vomit brown, steel legion drab and vermin brown), the metal cleanup is still to come, hopefully will be able to finish that tomorrow.

before:
IPB Image

after:
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Arch_Magos_Kasen
post Mar 12 2018, 11:26 PM
Post #10

Tomato
Group Icon

Looking good. I always admire people who can make consistent, steady progress and actually paint whole armies. Meanwhile, I never seem to finish a whole unit lol.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Angelus
post Mar 13 2018, 09:12 PM
Post #11

haha thanks AMK. This project is definitely slow and steady going, but I don't think I've actually managed to complete an army, I always seem to buy more models before I finish them all (I keep getting more ideas and keep buying things), but I keep building and painting away, although I have limited myself to not buying more until I've completed a certain number of squads otherwise it just gets out of hand haha.

Tonight's effort was polishing up the metal on the squad, the tasks are smaller and smaller, but require a steadier hand and more care, still slipped a few times that I had to re-clean up on the leather. I'll hold off on photo's until I'm up to the last 2 stages to get a final look before dry brushing and inking.
+Quote Post
Angelus
post Mar 15 2018, 11:42 PM
Post #12

So, busy day today and yesterday. I have completed all of the cleanup of the messes made on the first couple of layers of paint. I've finally hit the final stages of painting for the squad (ignoring basing cause I haven't decided how iI'm going to base them yet, thinking some kind of desert base). I'm keen to finish off the first squad of orks from this latest push to get stuff done hopefully tomorrow, and I'll chuck some photos up then too. (might even put up some photos of the full painted army set that I've got prepared so far)

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Angelus
post Mar 20 2018, 09:58 PM
Post #13

long weekend so I missed a couple days of painting with all the running around, however I managed an extra long painting session on Thursday where I managed to finish off the shootas, there where 2 stages left. first I needed to give them a sandy dusty look, so they all got dry brushed with ushabti bone

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

after they finished drying I gave them a coat in agrax earthshade to dirty them up, and add some depth to the detail that isnt picked up as easily when just using paints. I like using washes and inks as they are very forgiving with slightly shaky hands, and dont require as much in the way of layering, the shade seeps into the grooves which looks great

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

today I spent more time moving the shootas into the cabinet and deciding what I was going to work on next. I've decided to scale up and work on some Nobz, which I'm adding some extra detail too, and at the same time will be finishing off a gorkanaught (or morkanaught I cant remember which and the orks dont know anyway) that I was part way through before I got stopped, time to finish it off

IPB Image
IPB Image

This post has been edited by Angelus: Mar 20 2018, 10:01 PM
+Quote Post
Arch_Magos_Kasen
post Mar 20 2018, 10:37 PM
Post #14

Tomato
Group Icon

Coming along great! Topknot orks always bring back fond memories of the first mini I ever painted...

The drybrush/wash combo really brings the minis to life!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Angelus
post Apr 1 2018, 07:31 PM
Post #15

Thanks AMK, yeah I like the drybrush ink combo, I use it in a few of my armies.

Its been a while since I've posted, but I've kept up with my 5 (or more) mins per day and have been working on one of my larger projects, The Gorkanaught (or Morkanaught). (as well as one of Grukks boss nobz).

this post is going to be a long one, with lots of WIP photos as well as some final shots as well.

this first photo was my starting photo, my next set of orks to paint was 5 nobz (some simple some crazy) and to finally finish off the orkanaught.

IPB Image
IPB Image

I didnt want to start out with the big one, so I started wokring on the nobz first, adding the silver for their weapons and noticed that Nobz are way more armoured than the boyz

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

after the metal has been added I polished up the leather clothing and straps, the snakebite leather that I had has dried out and gone uber clumpy (I tried lahar medium and water but not much improvement) so I've gotten Skrag brown and Dryad bark to flesh out the collection.

IPB Image
IPB Image

and speaking of flesh, my dark angels green had gone to clumps as well so I got some Waagh flesh to join the goblin green for flesh colors (moot green is a little too neon for orky flesh i think, maybe some gretchins later), with the metal, leather and flesh mostly done on all of them i did get a little impatient and i focused on Grukks boss nob to finish him off. where i needed to add tin bitz (now warplock bronze), blood red/mephiston red and ushabti bone for all the extra details, including the baby skagg one the boss pole.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

and then a quick drybrush

IPB Image

and finally layering the ink over him

IPB Image
IPB Image

I still havent finished the rest of the nob squad, because I decided to dedicate the easter weekend to finishing the orknaught, who was mostly finished and just needed a little touching up, the main body only needed drybrushing, the arms are where the details were needed

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

both of the arms where a little bare, i didnt take step by step photos of them otherwise this post would be even longer, but what I basically did was waplock bronze on bits of metal plating, a charcoal colour on gun barrels, splashes of red and silver for flavour and a little green for some piping

IPB Image
IPB Image

with one final session (that finished at 3-4am (I was dedicated to getting it completed) I inked the whole thing and pieced him back together so here are some final photos....

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

oh and yes, those are gretchins on hoverboards floating around the orkanaught (the hoverboards are converted from tau drones) heres some close-ups

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

the next part of the project will be finishing the other 4 nobz biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Angelus: Apr 1 2018, 07:33 PM
+Quote Post
Angelus
post Apr 1 2018, 07:37 PM
Post #16

note: I also changed the title of the thread, figured I had gotten far enough into the ork warbase to call this a WAARGH! now biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
Angelus
post Apr 8 2018, 11:04 PM
Post #17

looks like I'm shifting to weekly updates for this thread as finding time to post every day is challenging; plus it will be much of the same photos for some WIPs so I might need to get creative for some stuff smile.gif

so this week i have mostly finished off the last 4 nobz from last weeks project, they just needed some touching up and drybrushing, I'm holding off on inking until the rest of the nobz are done (the rest of the nobz are the next challenge).

so here goes photos...

final cleanup of nobz before drybrush
IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

drybrushed examples
IPB Image IPB Image

the rest of the squad
IPB Image

the same again, after making them look a little shiny
IPB Image

the 3 main bulk leather colours that i've been using (I'm mixing it up with the straps which I will post next week)
IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

This post has been edited by Angelus: Apr 8 2018, 11:05 PM
+Quote Post
Fluffy05
post Jun 14 2018, 02:44 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 2,327

Nice work!

I like the way you have added variety with small differences in leather colour etc.. smile.gif

--------------------
'The German today is like the June Bride; he knows he is going to get it, but he doesn't know how big it is going to be.' - Gen. Richard "Windy" Gale, 6th Airborne Division Commander

My Miniature Painting & Wargaming Crusade!

Currently playing:

Kings of War: Elves, Kingdoms of Men, Dwarves

Napoleonics (Black Powder Rules): British, Austrians
Ancients: (Hail Caesar Rules) Celts, Romans - Early Imperial and Republican
Flames of War: British Paras, British Armoured LW, US Rifles, US Paras, US Armoured, Germans Panzergrenadiers
SAGA: Normans
Hordes: Circle

Working on:

Deadzone: Starter boxed set plus extra factions & terrain
warpath: Watch this space :)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st June 2018 - 08:28 PM