Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Moving To Mackay In June, Anything Locally or further afield in Central QLD?
tommyjames
post Apr 13 2017, 01:31 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,875

Hope this is the right place for this. Basically, myself and the missus will be moving from Melbourne to Mackay in Central QLD in June and I thought I'd see if there was anybody about to play toy soldiers with when we arrive biggrin.gif I gather from doing a bit of looking around online that there isn't much of a scene in Mackay itself, so I'm open to the idea of semi-regular travel to Townsville and/or Rockhampton (or anywhere else relatively close, for that matter).

Currently playing Pulp Alley exclusively (the wife loves it!) and starting to buy 10mm fantasy toys to play Warmaster and/or KoW with. I'm basically happy to give anything a go, though not keen on anything GW's putting out at the moment. And a game definitely appeals more to me if it involves buying metal miniatures that I don't have to spend hours assembling armata_PDT_04.gif With the 10mm and Pulp stuff, I probably shouldn't commit completely to any new systems until the end of the year at least, but who am I kidding, I know it'll happen armata_PDT_04.gif

So, yeah, keen to find out what's out there in the Central QLD area that I could realistically get to (once a month to Townsville/Rockhampton should be manageable once we're settled, if not in Mackay) biggrin.gif
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tommyjames
post Feb 26 2018, 01:56 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,875

Going to post this in case anybody else stumbles across this thread and is in a similar position to - there is indeed a pretty healthy wargaming scene in Mackay, you just have to hunt for it (and be on Facebook!).

Shops wise, the best option is Xtreme Computers on George Street - it's primarily a computer repair shop (as the name suggests tongue.gif ) but Tony stocks the best selection of wargaming goodies in Mackay - GW is well and truly covered, along with Malifaux, Infinity, Flames of War and a whole load of other cool stuff. Best selection of paints locally as well (Citadel and Vallejo for definite, possibly others) and enough hobby tools and paraphernalia to cover both the casual and experienced gamer. Great service, too, Tony seems like a lovely chap and there's regular gaming nights held there (weekly Thursdays and monthly Saturdays, I think - don't quote me, though, work schedules haven't allowed me to attend yet). Search for Critical Miniatures on FB for more info biggrin.gif

There's also Mac's Comics and Haven in the CBD - miniatures wise, neither of them stock much and cater more to the RPG/board gaming crowd, but they do both stock paints and a few tools so if you're in the CBD and don't have much time to grab a pot of paint or a new brush, either of those could put you on until you can make it down to Xtreme armata_PDT_01.gif

If you're hunting for games, search Facebook for Mackay & District Wargamers Club, it's an active (and friendly! armata_PDT_37.gif ) community, meeting once a month at Haven, with plenty of folks looking for pickup games inbetween too.

If RPG's are your thing, Haven seems to have a pretty active D&D community - not sure if much else is played there, I personally run my Call of Cthulhu game from home so don't tend to be in much these days. Mac's Comics also hosts a weekly (I think) board gaming night on Thursdays as well, so plenty happening in our little city! If anybody finds themselves in a similar situation and wants any more information, feel free to throw me a PM on here and I'd be happy to help in any way I can biggrin.gif
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2020 - 11:46 PM