Master Chris
post Apr 5 2018, 04:50 PM
Post #542

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 4,171

Hey kid,

You wanna buy 2 units of Bastions?

--------------------
Everything that existed before I was born is irrelevant, everything that exists after I die is lucky.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Apr 5 2018, 07:56 PM
Post #543

Member No.: 10,012

QUOTE(Master Chris @ Apr 5 2018, 05:50 PM) *

Hey kid,

You wanna buy 2 units of Bastions?

Depends. Also got max choir, Vengers, Idrians and Cleansers?

I have a problem.

No, if it's a smokable drug it's too weak, needles or bust.
+Quote Post
Master Chris
post Apr 6 2018, 04:44 PM
Post #544

Technically, yes.

Though selling them would no doubt trigger some sort of life-defining personal depiphany (like an epiphany but probably bad for you).

--------------------
Everything that existed before I was born is irrelevant, everything that exists after I die is lucky.
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Apr 8 2018, 04:12 AM
Post #545

Game 307 - MacBain1 (LR) vs Wurmwood1 (BoO)
Standoff

By Spicy Meatballs, it's time for a change of pace. I got time before the next team tourney yeah?
Through together half a dozen Llaelese lists. Most were sucky.

I had Ashlynn and MacBain ready to go, my emergency game call opponent, one of the local champs, once more had that most devilish of trees. I didn't fancy either caster particularly into Wurmwood, though having pathfinder readily available was a nice change of pace.

Mercenary Army - 74 / 75 points
[Theme] Llaelese Resistance
(MacBain 1) Drake MacBain [+30]
- Galleon [39]
- Reinholdt, Gobber Speculator [0(4)]
Anastasia di Bray [3]
Eilish Garrity, the Occultist [0(5)]
Major Harrison Gibbs [4]
Rhupert Carvolo, Piper of Ord [4]
Taryn di la Rovissi, Llaelese Gun Mage [0(5)]
Dannon Blythe & Bull [5]
Storm Lances (max) [20]
Storm Lances (max) [20]
Thorn Gun Mages [9]

Attempting to buzzsaw:

Circle Army - 75 / 75 points
[Theme] The Bones of Orboros
(Wurmwood 1) Wurmwood, Tree of Fate [+27]
- Megalith [20]
- Wold Guardian [16]
- Woldwarden [14]
- Woldwyrd [9]
- Woldwyrd [9]
- Woldwyrd [9]
Blackclad Stoneshaper [0(3)]
Blackclad Stoneshaper [3]
Blackclad Wayfarer [0(4)]
Feralgeist [2]
Gallows Grove [2]
Gallows Grove [2]
Sentry Stone & Mannikins [5]
Shifting Stones [3]
Shifting Stones [3]

Galleon is unfortunate, it's not going to get to do a great deal with Stranglehold around. Likewise the Eyrds make the upkeeps not exactly enticing.

It's Standoff, a welcome change from the Outlast shenanigans.

I eventually win the roll after tieing three times (Anastasia eventually pulling through!). I contemplate second for the better central terrain for a moment, then decided against it. I wanted buffs up in play so that I could then delete them with a recast and bypass the Wyrds that way.

I have a forest, a rear trench and a right side hill. I also plonk the Llael provided rubble on the left where it can touch the left circle zone.
The left zone also has a wall on it's outer flank edge of dubious locational value.
Circle get some water lacking value, a central obstruction constructed of pure gold and manure, with a forest on the right. There's also a defensive hill that I don't think comes up?

IPB Image
Merc 1: I send the Lancers up either flank, Galleon goes up the centre into my zone before it is inevitably Strangeheld for life. Thorn Gun Mages go into the forest for Prowl.
Circle has leaned its heavies on the left, so my proxied cat man (Gibbs) goes over that way to be minister for health of Belgium.

IPB Image
Circle 1: Everything moves forward and centrally, sure enough Cassius runs up, arcs a Stranglehold then gets ported back to Wurmwoods newly established cave behind the obstruction.
A forest pops over the left Gallows Grove.

Sentry Stone sprays on the left kill a Storm Lancer, my optimism that only generating one Fury would keep the horsey fella alive turning out to be a foolish hope. They also kill Bull, though given I mentally mistook them for Herne and Jonne in list creation then the cards showed them to very much not be that good I was crying merely crocodile tears on that death.

IPB Image
Merc 2: At the start of the game I hypothesized that the best play was likely to feat after the tree. I promptly forgot about that notion. Otherwise plans were to pop the stealthy Gallows Grove and not kill any twigmen, as Sentry Stone safety teleports had left them all out of command. Anastasia also ambushed in, with a vague thought that she could run in the backfield and contest later on.

I don't actually know you Johnny even is, let alone where.
All forms of music need to stop using alarm noises in the backtracks, makes me think something is on fire everytime.

Reinholdt strips the left Gallows stealth, Galleon pew pews it to death. Trees should have been put in front of it, not around. It also got the magic shot from the objective and killed the feralgeist, saving me the effort of usiing Eilish or Taryn to hunt it down.

Left wise, Gibbs toes the zone in the Llael cover, Two of the Thorn and the Storm Lancers move up and roll abysmally in their attempts to kill Shifting Stones. Late in the turn Anastasia moves in to kill one of the Egg Carriers, however the Guardian shield Guards it.

Right wise proxy Blythe runs forward. Probably not the best use of her, but eh, she's trash.
Yes, that is an appalling approach to a model in a game, do better. Just cause Drake's rich doesn't stop him being a morose mother######a after all, and who is Marvin? Why his room?
The Storm Lancers on this flank end up with concealment from Piper, if they did shots then they achieved little.

End of the turn, MacBain feated on various Storm Lancers, re-cast Fortune to take it off the Galleon.

IPB Image
Circle 2: Leftwise, the Circle heavies move in. Four of this sides Storm Lancers end up knocked down from various shots and power attacks. An egg carrier tries to pop Anastasia and misses.

Wurmwood stays hiding behind the building, various shots ping my objective down to a handful of boxes. Something strangleholds the Galleon, think it was Megalith this time.
Feat of foresty doom pops. You know, I don't think the knockdown and doing a damage point has come up for us in this Wurmwood run.

Rightwise Blythe dies to the Wayfarer.

Such was the busyness of the Circle models and all their shenanigans, nothing got to my zone. Both flank zones were also contested, ergo with both get a point off our friendly rectangles. 1-1.

IPB Image
Merc 3: Burritos are a form of weapon. Let's contest and start trying to clear out these damnable support pieces. If it teleports I want it dead.

Leftwise, Storm Lancers manage to crack the available shifting stone unit, the Thorn Mage does a handful of points to Megs. Gibbs popped Hot Meal to heal up the pair of 1 box Storm Lancers, didn't feel great but I wasn't going to be presented with a better time to use it. I think it's actually the first time it's come up. Maybe if Bastions weren't insufferably lame.....
The Lancers repo around, though most of the unit is doomed.

Galleon wings Megs for a bit with his left pew pew gun.
MacBain just chills out, also chips Megs. Reinholdt runs to block a potential charge position by Megs on the Galleon.

Circle zone wise, Anastasia runs to toe and die. I mean commit an act of freedom fighting.

Right side Ponies get concealment again. Taryn moves forward into Wurmwoods woods, fails to hit the Wayfarer with either attack. Doh. Ponies charge the Gallows to kill it, one gets a redirect on the Wyrd for a bit of damage that electro leaps to kill the Wayfarer.

A weak turn killing wise, though Wurmy's feat makes that a difficult proposition.

I score my zone, now 2-1.

IPB Image
Circle 3: The hippies unleash some hardcore mean spirits on the Storm Lancers this turn. Everything feels fragile after a brief stint of invulnerability. Really should have pulled some of them further back, oh well.

Left wise, the Guardians kills a Pony to free up the Warden who moves over and pops another pair of the neighers.

Circle zone, it takes both egg carriers and the back wyrd to kill of 'stasia.

In my zone, Megs gets into my objective and kills it with ease, Strangleholds the Galleon. The pair of broken stones port in,one inconveniently right in front of the colossal.
A wyrd tries to shoot Reinholdt, he misses and the Gobber dodges to be engaged by Megalith. Def 19 is deemed not worth trying again.

Right wise Sentry stones and a Wurmy Stranglehold kill three of the Lancers, leaving a pair left on this flank. One to many for my attrition math, didn't need to charge three forward.

Trees score their zone, we level back to 2-2.

IPB Image
Merc 4: The late avenues of the game form a fairly clear narrative. The right side is mine, the left is circle, it's principally a matter of keeping enough throw away contestors alive and limping along with the Galleon.

Leftwise Gibbs chills in his spot, doe a shot into the walls of stone.
The Lancer on this side wants to charge the back Wyrd, alas a twigman is in the way and to close for an impact, so instead he moves up, does a shot and repositions to engage.

Around my zone, the Galleon walks around to engage Megalith.
MacBain charges a stone and kills it, buys Jackhammers to kill Megs and the other stone.
This has left him in trample range of the Guardian, so the last Thorn Gun Mage moves in and uses Thundershot to knock him back.

Rightwise, the remaining pair of Storm Lancers manage to kill both the Wyrd and the Sentry Stone, then reposition back.
This lets Taryn moves up, contest the Circle Rectangle, hide behind the obstruction and far more importantly kill Cassius. Good times Taryn. No, this isn't enough for Shaw to get a chance in a list.

I score my rectangle and the right zone, now 4-2.

IPB Image
Circle 4: Leftwise, the Thorn Gun Mage is easily blatted. Gibbs toughs out from a Sentry Stone, Feign Death finally becomes super awesome. Yay for situational abilities!

The back Wyrd flails badly against the Storm Lancer, who lives on a couple boxes.
Doesn't even need an Arc Node now, the tree Strangles the Galleon.
Right wise, Wurmwood kills another Lancer, a single member of each squad lives.
The tree tries to do the same to Taryn, fails magnificently.

The remaining unit of Shifting Stones ports to contest my zone (Concealed by the Galleon's silhouette) and the right.

Circle score nothing, 4-2.

IPB Image
Merc 5: Clocks tight enough that if I just hold on I should win off that.

Left wise, Gibbs walks over and repositions to get behind the wall, contest the left zone.
The lone Lancer on this side stabs at the Wyrd, misses.

Centrally, between Galleon pew pews and MacBains shots the remaining Shifting Stone and another Wyrd are killed. A Jackhammer melee attack also pops the stone contesting my zone.
Reinholdt boldly hides behind the forest.

Right wise Taryn and the Lancer kill off the Shifting stone contesting the right zone.

I score my rectangle and right zone, now 6-2.

I completely failed to recognised my scenario position here. Urk. Strong player. Totes.

IPB Image
Circle 5: Top Lancer finally pops. Right side Lancer and Taryn are both moved and killed by a nice hellmouth placement. Alas, Circle clocks.

Playing it out, Reinholdt ends up contesting the circle zone, though they do start some counter scoring.
The Circle heavies end up pushing far forward, until eventually the Galleon can kill them. The right becomes a null zone.

Ye old error check:
Late Game - There was a point where Fail Safe would have been usable and could have started combating the Strangleholds, alas it wasn't to be.
Mid Game - Spent Storm Lancer lives to cheaply. Waaaaaay to cheaply.
Early - Feated to early, spaced the cav poorly. Never used ponies much historically, feels underdeveloped as a skill at present.
Deployment - Should have taken the opposing side to alter the scoring time table. Accursed tree.
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Apr 11 2018, 12:14 AM
Post #546

Game 308 - Ashlynn1 (LR) vs Skarre3 (SFR)
Breakdown

EDITORIAL NOTE: DISTRACTION IS WARRIOR MODEL ONLY AND I SUCK

Gamez! Joy! Madness! Cryx! Oh noes!

Should I have repacked the Winions to practice for Oceania Teams? Yes. Did I? Self evidently no.

Ashlynn/MacBain terrorists vs Skarre2/3. Time for duellist lady!

Mercenary Army - 75 / 75 points
(Ashlynn 1) Ashlynn D'Elyse [+29]
- Nomad [11]
- Nomad [11]
- Nomad [11]
- Vanguard [10]
- Sylys Wyshnalyrr, The Seeker [0(4)]
Anastasia di Bray [3]
Gorman di Wulfe, Rogue Alchemist [4]
Major Harrison Gibbs [4]
Ragman [4]
Storm Lances (max) [20]
Trencher Infantry (max) [16]
- Trencher Infantry Officer & Sniper [0(5)]
- Trencher Infantry Rifle Grenadier (3) [6]

Repeatedly attempting to stab:

Cryx Army - 75 / 75 points
[Theme] Slaughter Fleet Raiders
(Skarre 3) Skarre, Admiral of the Black Fleet [+27]
- Deathripper [6]
- Kraken [36]
Axiara Wraithblade [0(6)]
General Gerlak Slaughterborn [0(6)]
Misery Cage [2]
Misery Cage [2]
Blighted Trollkin Marauders (max) [15]
- Jussika Bloodtongue [5]
Bloodgorgers (max) [15]
Bloodgorgers (max) [15]
Scharde Dirge Seers [6]

Do you like proxies? You don't?! Good thing my photos suck anyway then. 90% of Cryx models are proxies in one way or another.

I win the roll, opt for first as terrain wasn't hugely incentivizing, having lapsed into lazy terrain lay out habits again.
Llael rubble goes on the left, then I get a largish trench in the centre and a defensive forest.
The middle of the table is mostly hills, with a left side forest that makes claiming that zone look like a painful exercise.
Cryx get a defensive wall and cloud, I don't think they come up?

IPB Image
Merc 1: My #### runs forward, exchanging witticisms and quips. Let them enjoy themselves before Cryx mean-ness comes down on them like a governing body on its scientists.

Vanguard goes left, theorising that it will be a reasonable contestor out that way in the zone that looks somewhat unclearable.
Trenchers take the centre with Quickened, Lancers go for the right flank with concealment from Piper.

IPB Image
Cryx 1: The cancer orb, it burns.

There's a special form of schadenfreude from watching someone unused to the glorious unwieldy nature of a pair of huge bases and multiple medium base units. I probably wouldn't have done much better, however this isn't about fairness and ####, it's about planning for the clock win early into the piece.

The melee......Blighted Trollkin? come up the left and out the front. They have Gerlak and the arcnode bringing up their rear.

Skarre/Kraken take the centre, Dirge Seers behind them.

Marauders with Axiara advance up on the right.

IPB Image
Merc 2: This feels like a good enough turn to pop the feat, make everything hit while stopping Cryx getting the scoring advantage. Though it's all about armour breaking gun wise anyway.

Ashlynn moves forward, throws out Distraction on the Kraken and Skarre. That felt far better than it should have. FIRE THE LAZER NOW.
Repositions backward.

The Admonitioned Nomad moves forward. Trenchers hover around, do much better with CRA's than I expected and the front seven or so Blood Gorgers pop whilst two are left toughed out.

Out on the right, a few of the Storm Lancers charge forward, killing one of the Misery Cages and bounce off the steady tough models for the most part. That wasn't part of the plan. Repositions leave two Lancers forward in the mix and the rest spread in a vague line back toward my table edge.

Good Trenchers. Wasteful Lancer activation.

IPB Image
Cryx 2: Marauders with Jussika gain Vengeance. Good to know. They stab and kill one of the Lancers.

The reasonably unhurt Gorger unit moves forward and around, impeded by the forest. They kill a Gunmage.
The other squad is reduced to half at this point, they force the Nomad to pop it's Admonition then charge in. Ashlynns feat creates a good number of snake eyed attack rolls, so that was nice.

Right wise the Marauders, not under Ashlynn's feat, manage to still roll like a trip to Bendigo for a cube, so all up I lose only one other Lancer. Three remain, though one is super out of command.

Skarre and the Kraken chill around up the back.

IPB Image
Merc 3: Fuelling Nomads isn't nice. What about my dreams of Distraction for once being sodding amazing?! ######ty compromise it is, fuelling up the forward and right Nomad.

Clearing out either circle zone is unlikely to the point of....something improbable. World wide positive reception to whatever pile of garbage Superhero movie Snyder makes next? Hmph, this current sci-fi series has "cycles" used for both a time period and distance, do not like.

I'm left with clearing out the centre zone, with the side benefit of lining up with trying to wipe out the now smaller Gorger unit so Skarre can stop bringing peeps up from her half a ship.

Left wise one Thorn Gun Mage toes the left zone again, the unit caps one 'Gorger and leaves another toughed out on fire.
Vanguard toes this zone as the primary contesting piece.

Centrally, Nomads and the Trenchers clear out the rectangle zone and pop a few more from the side units. Ashlynn moves up, puts Distraction on the Kraken and repos back behind some clouds.

Rightwise, the other fuelled Nomad and Storm Lancer stab back at Jussika and pals. Tough rolls do alright and rather tellingly the Storm Lancer misses Jussika on a charge, ergo I kill three. If you include the one the Trencher popped.

I score the centre rectangle, the right side didn't pan out to well but otherwise things are looking ok. 1-0.

IPB Image
Cryx 3: There's a ton of planning and such here. Enough that a time out is a certainty.

The ultimate conclusion is that the Kraken is a bees dick from advancing and being in range to stab two of the Nomads.

A bunch of Trenchers get hacked up, Skarre herself charges in and kill the forward most Nomad. Alas for not enough focus to throw out Admonition again.
The Marauder/Storm Lancer kerfuffle continues to be an embarrassment on the right.

Well, that's that for what is was.

Ashlynn list took waaaaaay to long to pilot. So low on my previous infantry standards, would likely have only managed a couple more turns before my own clock out.

More practice needed before any particular conclusions. Distraction being useful feels way to bizarre.

This post has been edited by Angry_Norway: Apr 14 2018, 12:47 PM
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Apr 11 2018, 08:42 PM
Post #547

Game 309 - MacBain (LR) vs Vlad2 (LoS)
Breakdown

Can it be? A second game in a day? Yis.

The opposing options for the Terrorists are Vlad2 in Legion of Skill and Old Witch 3 in....Winterguard? Doesn't matter, Trenchers into Old Witch feels super bad. Windstorm looks just bad.

So naturally we drop that most mustachioed of small figurines and receive the Vlad for which we really should be better into by now.

Mercenary Army - 74 / 75 points
(MacBain 1) Drake MacBain [+30]
- Galleon [39]
Anastasia di Bray [3]
Major Harrison Gibbs [4]
Dannon Blythe & Bull [5]
Storm Lances (max) [20]
Storm Lances (max) [20]
Thorn Gun Mages [9]

In ze vendetta:

Khador Army - 74 / 75 points
[Theme] Legion of Steel
!!! Your army contains a CID entry.
(Vladimir 2) Vladimir Tzepesci, The Dark Champion [+27]
- Conquest [35]
Iron Fang Kovnik [0(4)]
Iron Fang Kovnik [0(4)]
Kaptain Sofya Skirova [0(5)]
Orin Midwinter, Rogue Inquisitor [5]
Uhlan Kovnik Markov [7]
Black Dragons (max) [17]
- Black Dragon Officer & Standard [4]
Great Bears of the Gallowswood [9]
Iron Fang Uhlans (min) [12]
Iron Fang Uhlans (min) [12]

It's a pony and Colossal off! Weird and rare? An ubiquitous concern elsewhere? Well, the latter is impossible, can't remember the last Swan list I saw that used Storm Lancers. How times have changed.

Laziness and time constraints ensured that the same scenario and table was used as last time.

It takes three rolls, eventually I win out and get to go first. Good work Anastasia, you're alright.
Khador takes the same side as the previous Cryxites.

Ergo I have a large defensive trench, and a small forest.
The centre line of the board features a prominent forest in the left zone, a central hill and a rightside hill.
Khador gets a super defensive wall and a cloud out on the right.

I opt to place my rubble on the right side this turn, going first with cav means that the left side forest probably won't impede me, while the right side is open enough that cover might be useful against the Conquest pew pewness.

The Cav face off on the flanks, Colossals in the centre. Taryn deploys in the Llael rubble, across from her the Black Dragons go. Why do Khadorans venerate Dragons? Dragons are a real thing in the Iron Kingdoms and basically suck (A quick google of random historical Merc armies was surprisingly bland). The Black Dragons advance up in their well established triangle formations, though they do hold back a little from giving Taryn free attacks. Noice.

Blythe and Bull Prey the Great Bears.

Matchup considerations are the cav facing off with similar threat ranges in which both have weigh ups with the feat. I have more cav and can bait some of them, however I don't have the equivalent follow up.

IPB Image
Merc 1: Everything moves forward. Counter Measures goes on the left cav unit, Fortune on the Thorn Gun Mages and Fail Safe on the Galleon. Two Cav from each unit move up into Uhlan feated charge range, it's a temptation with a low probability of success but you never know.

IPB Image
Khador 1: Vlad goes up behind the wall and throws up Arcane Might and Assail on the Conquest.
Both Cav units move up and stay shy of Storm Lancer charge range.
Great Bears space out on the left alongside a Kovnik.

The Conquest barrels up the middle.

Centre/Rightwise the Black Dragons move up and pop their mini-feat. Sofiya, Kovnik and a cav unit go behind them.

IPB Image
Merc 2: There's some awkward weighing up at this point on how MacBain's feat can whether Vlad's. If Vlad has the option to simply wait and hold on, then the odds are good I lose to many Lancers and get easily out attritioned. Ergo I opt for super aggression to establish a strong board position.

Plan is to use feated Storm Lances to hedge out the centre zone, then use that to maintain the central zone and push for the flank zones opportunistically.

As a random chance activation Anastasia moves in on the far back left and gets a shot at the left Kovnik, lands the attack but rolls low on the damage. In hindsight it's not a great attack run anyway.

The Thorn advance up the centre, use their Thunderbolts to get rid of the relevant IFP triangle impeding the plan.
Galleon moves up, Harpoons an IFP, shoots the right Kovnik, gets Shield Guarded to Sofiya and puts her on zero boxes.

Both Storm Lancers run/charge up the centre.
The left unit has one loon run up and engage Markov to stop his Counter Charge. Another gets a charge into the Conquest for some meagre damage, more importantly the lightning leap pops Orin.
Right unit follows suit, the initial move being a charge on the Kovnik.
This triggers Sofiya's counter charge, surprisingly she misses. The rest of the unit then goes in, one going in on the Kovnik.
The attacks kill the Kovnik, heal Sofiya, then put her back on one box.

MacBain then moves up to feat and ensure good times. I resentfully remember when MacBain's feat wasn't a random number, something I use to argue about constantly on the PP forums before their deserved demise.
Eight of the Storm Lances get the magic wooje. Drake also pops a shot into the Conquest for giggle damage.

We commence praying that everything works. Taryn just sits in the rubble, Blythe/Bull move up behind the left forest.

IPB Image
Khador 2: The error in the plan is pretty quickly spotted. Positioning has not been done appropiately.

There's a great deal of finicky placement involved, and some bonus activation's of Grat Bears/Markov knocking Horsies down. Anastasia also dies to the Konvik that she was unable to deal with.

Conquest grabs a pseudo unkillable Storm Lancer to make a hole, throws him into the back line hits Gibbs. He toughs, so that's something.
Vlad feats on IFP and the right Uhlans. IFP kill one of the killable Storm Lances, making a nice hole.
Using Markovs tactician, one Uhlan runs through to provide web of steel against a freestrike.
Said 'strike sadly misses in any event, an impact attack clears a blocking Thorn Gun Mage.

Two Uhlans get to stab on MacBain, they overkill him by four points and get a crit knock down so no tough roll.

Woops.

In spite of the net result, content with the overall planning, just not the execution. Needed to bracket the Conquest with a pair of feated Lances prior to making the line. Although it does all fall apart with a low roll on the feat.

I was wrong about Thorn Gun Mages, they seem totally fine.
Blythe and Bull continue to be dis-serviced by being repped by Herne and Jonne, models for who I know the implicit value of. They need a long game in which they actually survive to the late period, maybe then if the Prey selection isn't to garbage it'll all work out.
+Quote Post
Master Chris
post Apr 12 2018, 09:18 AM
Post #548

Yeah, they're a little overcosted (compare to Satyxis gunslingers) but they have all the right kit to contribute to your game every turn.

I like 'em.

This post has been edited by Master Chris: Apr 12 2018, 09:19 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Apr 21 2018, 11:25 AM
Post #549

Game 310 - Gorten1 (Irr) vs Gastonne2 (Irr)
Epic Recon

Welcome to slightly melty reports number I'm-not-sure-I-son't-track-my-quality-that-well.
Been in somewhat of a Tobias lately and have basically committed to dollies then ducked out as opportunity allows. The excuse train finally got Muellered and a random throw down happened.

So, as you can probably tell from teh mish mash of letters that ostensibly form a paragraph above, this wasn't a highlight of tactical prowess. Nor is the matchup ideal for those not playing at optimum, my positioning was dreadful so prepare to to be...not amazed, but....Rimmered I guess?

Step 1, the nonsense I played.

[Theme] The Irregulars
(Gorten 1) Gorten Grundback [+31]
- Ghordson Driller [10]
- Grundback Gunner [6]
- Grundback Gunner [6]
- Grundback Gunner [6]
- Grundback Gunner [6]
Anastasia di Bray [3]
Bosun Grogspar [0(4)]
Gobber Tinker [2]
Hutchuck, Ogrun Bounty Hunter [0(6)]
Rhupert Carvolo, Piper of Ord [0(4)]
Sergeant Nicolas Verendrye [0(4)]
Alexia Ciannor & the Risen [10]
Press Gangers (max) [12]
Press Gangers (max) [12]
Steelhead Halberdiers (max) [11]

This is my opening spin on a build with MOAR STEELHEADS. The blame on this particular iteration can be fairly and squarely put upon:

IPB Image

Though I do need to give fair credit to Avi of Australia's real capital who suggested the idea some time ago, from which I was to lazy to pursue it. The whole "Here's my initial list and I'll make small incremental changes" is fine, however it definitely has caused me to artificially limit my list construction.

Anyway, the Gastonne list:

[Theme] The Irregulars
(Crosse 2) Lieutenant Crosse, Resistance Fighter [+29]
- Nomad [11]
- Nomad [11]
- Nomad [11]
Eiryss, Mage Hunter of Ios [0(7)]
Gorman di Wulfe, Rogue Alchemist [0(4)]
Major Harrison Gibbs [4]
Alexia Ciannor & the Risen [10]
Horgenhold Forge Guard (max) [16]
Kayazy Eliminators [5]
Kayazy Eliminators [5]
Lady Aiyana & Master Holt [8]
Lynus Wesselbaum & Edrea Lloryrr [5]
Steelhead Halberdiers (min) [7]
Ragman?!

So...yeah...we both brough a Lemon to a Knife Fight, in this instance the knife being our own lists.
IPB Image

IPB Image
LET THERE BE DUDES!
Proxies on both sides, primarily because of sanity. Also a solid chunk of the Steelheads are broken.
That there thing on the right side of my deployment is a rocky obstruction which I misplay the whole game as a hill. Bro across the table did offer to have it be a hill before the game, I opted to suffer because I'm lazy to the point of later repercussions. If it doesn't cause you suffering, your Sloth isn't truly a vice.

IPB Image
Our stuff runs at each other.
I tough the right unit while the left gets all butt buddies with Verenyde. His announcement ofmild discomfort is ignored. Don't do that in real life people, personal space bubbles are important. So is Space, USA keep funding my shonky employment you arse holes.

Gastonne and Holt try a bunch of shots into my Pressgangers. I briefly think I'm Bakula as the Mark 2 tough without end causes only a single chump to die.
Waitaminute....I missed Lynuss and Edrea before.*Scuttles to confirm list*

IPB Image
I take this formation on the left flank. The ###### is this? Have I lost my regiment tray? Is my primary tactical concern Goblin Fanatic's rolling 8 on their opening two dice roll?

I have a turn of brutalizing #### in the middle, Press Gangers Shanghai neatly ######ing with the Steelheads with Gastonne's spell claim ability. Need to buy a third unit to account for how Shanghai works these days, cunning ploy PP. Cunning.
The left just sees me blob up in a position to mock the slow Dwarfs, I want to draw in the Eliminators before I ambush in a contesting model.
I also use Eruption on a Nomad to kill the Eiryss standing to close behind him.

Gastonne stabs back in return, our duel Alexia's compete viciously in the corpse market. He pops feat to get his Nomads over Obstructions, gets to my objective and kills it. Space making efforts let my Alexia pull ahead in that frozen Molotov fest, though there is a distinct lack of BT's to attack.

Also, the Armoured Corp chariots look as derpy as a stoned Chihuaha. There. It's out now.

The Kayazy also come in and stab down some dudes.

I counter feat, principally to get get Eruption out and kill most of the opposing Steelheads and Alexia, which I view as the critical means of winning the attrition here.
We both ###### up super bad and forget about Gastonne's feat giving stealth. However, unlike Homer, it was my first time.
My Alexia kills one Nomad, the other two get royally ######ed up by charging Steelheads using CMA's. CMA's, back strikes and a seduction also kill most of the Eliminators. ANastasia charges and fails to kill Gorman, that wasn't a shining moment.

IPB Image
I'd planned on using Grogspar to knock Gorten back to safety and pile more dudes in front of him.
Reeeeeally bad positioning stopped that.

Ergo, a busted Nomad kills a more busted Gunner, then gets killed by Taryn to free up a line of sight for all the guns to shoots at Gorten. He gets down to zero boxes. Toughs.CLock win before my three Gunners walks up and shoot Gastonne to death.

That....happened. As a thing.

List good bar from Tinker. Change some Gunners to Blasts. Need to look into this after OTC.
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Apr 27 2018, 03:16 PM
Post #550

Game 311 - Carver (WWfF) vs Sorscha1 (JofW)
Outlast

Continuing my current streak of poor list testing behaviour, I went off to try out Barny2.
Yeah, that didn't work out. Instead I saw something generated by the bloke covered in hair that piqued my curiousity, ergo:

Theme: Will Work For Food
Lord Carver, BMMD, Esq. III - WB: +28
- Gatorman Soul Slave - PC: 0
- War Hog - PC: 15 (Battlegroup Points Used: 15)
- War Hog - PC: 15 (Battlegroup Points Used: 13)
- War Hog - PC: 15
- Road Hog - PC: 16
- Road Hog - PC: 16
- Battle Boar - PC: 7
- Battle Boar - PC: 7
Orin Midwinter, Rogue Inquisitor - PC: 0
Lanyssa Ryssyl, Nyss Sorceress - PC: 4
Gremlin Swarm - PC: 3
Gremlin Swarm - PC: 3
Kwaak Slickspine & Gub, Croak Sorcerers - PC: 0
Bone Shrine - PC: 2

Versus

[Theme] Jaws of the Wolf
(Sorscha 1) Kommander Sorscha [+29]
- Beast 09 [18]
- Marauder [11]
Eilish Garrity, the Occultist [5]
Greylord Forge Seer [0(4)]
- Behemoth [25]
Widowmaker Marksman [4]
Cylena Raefyll & Nyss Hunters (max) [19]
- Koldun Kapitan Valachev [4]
Kayazy Eliminators [5]
Kayazy Eliminators [5]
Widowmaker Scouts [8]

Terrain wise, the only thing that really comes up is a pair of forests. One is in the centre between the flags, the other is in one zone and gives a great contesting option that will dictate the choice of side.
I won the die roll, nab first. Needed more relevant terrain, sure enough that flank forest side gets picked by Khador.

IPB Image
Minion 1: Um.....balls. Screwed up my deployment quite badly. Things are basically bunched or spread out such that multiple ramifications happen.

Meanwhile Khador have thrown Nyss out left, Jacks central, Widowmakers out on the right.

Carver puts up Mobility and Quagmire on the left most Gremlin swarm. Beasts run around, the Battle Boars lean toward the left and dream of Nyss munchies.
One of the screw ups was Kwaak being poorly placed, so he only pops Enliven on the War Hogs.

IPB Image
Khador 1: Nyss spread out wide on the left, Widowmakers plink the right War Hog's spirit.
I Enliven in the stupidest way possible, moving forward into aim range of Behemoth so he even get the Jack Marshal damage bonus. Sodding rotten Cheeseburger.

I kid, I kid. Cheeseburgers don't rot, it's actually super disturbing.

Sadly the War Hog thing did happen. The Behemoth shots also manage to take out the Spirit, so Sorscha moves up and Freezing Grips it.

Eliminators fan out, the headache was instantaneous.

IPB Image
Minion 2: Road Hogs wiggle wiggle like a ham sandwhich, flame thrower down some an Eliminator each and the Widowmaker Marksman.

Carver and most of the heavies nestle in the corner of the left zone. One Battle Boar runs towards the Nyss, desperate for a snack. Carver pops Batten Down the Hatches.
The Quagmired Gremlin Swarm runs into the centre forest to contest the Khador flag, Orin moves up in Arcane Vortex range of it.
Other Swarm runs out to the right to contest that zone.

Ah, a true turn of achievement. Inspiring.

IPB Image
Khador 2: Just got reminded there are people that enjoy Ciaphias Cain and I am not dealing with it.
However, what is being dealt with is mah piggies.

Sorscha briefly considers a mad plan to Wind Rush and go all the way up into the right zone to kill one of the pestilential Grenlin Swarms.

This gets vetoed after Behemoth fails to lob a shot onto the centre Gremlin Swarm, so instead she feats on a few of my models including the Spiritless War Hog, charges and destroys said Swarm, Wind Rushes away.

Left wise, the Nyss charge into the forward Battle Boar and the left Road Hog. Roadie takes some damage, Battle Boar loses it's Spirit. Dangit.

Eilish goes to the Khador flag. Eliminaotrs run and contest my flag.
Snipers take out the right Road Hogs Spirit, he is also one of the few pieces Sorscha got with her feat.
Marauder comes in and easily finishes off the right War Hog.
Beast and Behemoth stay back.

Khador score their flag, 0-1.

IPB Image
Minion 3: And then......I soddited.

IPB Image
I've had non-Warmachine #### occupying me and I didn't play this particularly well. Local Meta isn't in a healthy spot and I'm not well positioned mentally/socially to build it, so that gets me down somewhat. There's a pair of tourney's on this weekend, hopefully I'll get the energy and inclination to make the trip to one of them.

Rest of the game wise, I feel a sharp lack of Swamp Gobbers in the list, no units doesn't feel great for how I like to play this scenario. Greed means that instead of killing off all the Nyss I leave a Road Hog activation to late so that the reserve Battle Boar can't clean up the Nyss, so i don't clear the left zone to get ahead in scoring. I don't even kill Eilish whose standing in the open with his balls on display. The need to heel multiple Spirits means I have to choose between Carvers signature spells, I choose poorly with Mobility to get a Warhog through the forest to kill the Marauder.

From there Khador has minimal difficulty attritioning me down with vastly superior placement. There's also a memorable moment where between Mental Force and Eilish' stuff the Soul Slave explodes himself.

I'd like to blame Carver for not having enough Fury, 'cause comforting lies feed the mansion of sweet delusion.

Realistically a poor unpack. I've determined I do not play with Hunter's mark well. Enliven needs to be paired with Batten, which should be obvious however apparently wasn't.
Would need to fit in Swamp Gobbers somehow before playing the list again. Bizarre pining for Razor Boars. Weighing up the madness that is 4-5 Road Hogs.
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post May 6 2018, 03:33 PM
Post #551

Game 312 - Kraye1 (HM) vs Bradigus (BoO)
Standoff

The tourney a month plan from the beginning of the year is well and truly sunk. Clearly this is because the Titanic broke n two pieces, so the movie of it being floated back up in one piece is nought but lies. LIES.

Still in whimsy mode, though in a more daisy field way than this-bridge-looks-good-to-be-a-hobo-under sort of way.

Been wanting to throw down some Kraye for a while, there's talk of multiple Centurions, so based off an attempt to minimise proxies we end up with:

Cygnar Army - 75 / 75 points
[Theme] Heavy Metal
(Kraye 1) Captain Jeremiah Kraye [+28]
- Centurion [17]
- Centurion [17]
- Centurion [17]
- Charger [9]
- Charger [9]
- Thunderhead [20]
- Squire [0(5)]
Captain Arlan Strangewayes [0(4)]
Journeyman Warcaster [0(4)]
- Sentinel [8]
Field Mechaniks (min) [3]
Field Mechaniks (min) [3]

I just wanted to use Thinderhead, plus trying to squeeze in a pair of other heavies and still keeping a unit in the list was proving to be annoying.

*Shuffles to make opposing list*
*Gets befuddled that Bradigus is called "Thorle1"*
*Gets more befuddled sorting out the sodding Wold names*

Circle Army - 75 / 75 points
[Theme] The Bones of Orboros
(Thorle 1) Bradigus Thorle the Runecarver [+27]
- Megalith [20]
- Wold Guardian [16]
- Wold Guardian [16]
- Wold Wight [5]
- Wold Wight [5]
- Woldwarden [14]
- Woldwatcher [8]
Blackclad Wayfarer [0(4)]
Shifting Stones [3]

Yeah, that's near enough.

Scenario is Standoff, so those pair of unit selections are feeling pretty good, even though the second unit is likely just a reaction to playing that Carver list without Swamp Gobbers.

I suspect the cruel irony of life would dictate that should passion fruit become sentient and possessed of mental super powers they would suffer from Alexithymia.

No Wold Wyrds, so difficult Upkeep questions can be avoided. Lack of stealth mitigation means killing those sodding spray chumps will be arduous.

I lose the die roll, Circle choose first. They get a forest and a pair of clouds, however my side has a forest and trench that read as being better placed for holding the left and defensive zone.
Neutral terrain wise, there's a left side Hill, however the defence values of both sides render it not as useful as normal. Mid table water might as well not be there given the amount of pathfinder.
A wall on the right in the circle zone I expect to be a heavily contested area.

I had something to write here. I blanked so hard staring at the screen my eyes unfocused and I lost my spot in season 4 of Sherlock. Where the halfling needs to get back on board with Dr Strange versus the guy that ought to specialize in playing creeps.

I've got some proxies, because that's how I play Swans. Drudges are substituting for the Gobber mechanics, Stannis for Kraye. Remember Stannis in Kingmaker? I don't really, because I'm a Snow flake and we had other Merc adopters in our meta. What's with even small meta's doubling up on factions? By what euclidean hunch inducing spine twist do we end up at such?

Oh, Circle has Galvanizers pretending to be Wold Wights.

IPB Image
Circle 1: Men of grinding rock and twisting vine, green eyes deep with speed of thyme.
The Wolds move up the centre, Synergy pops up as does Mystic Wards, because Lock Target dreams are dreams.
Sentry Stones flank. Like always. Do they need to? Especially when they can't be stealth stripped?

IPB Image
Cygnar 1: Chargers move out on the flanks, they kill a pair of twigmen either side for want of other applicable targets.
Two Centurions go left, Polarity Shield up. More centre one gets Arcane Shield.
Other Centurion and Thunderhead go on the right, T-head gets Admonition while this Centurion gets an eye rolling cast of Counter Measures for giggles. Polarity Shield up here as well.

IPB Image
Circle 2: To my surprise there's some careful measurement of threat ranges, some prevaricating, rolling of the skin and bones.

Circle end up shuffling back in conservative placements, mostly out of my threat ranges with some exceptions.

ME FORGET MANY RULES WRITING THEM LIKE SO IN MEMORY OF THE CLAW

IPB Image
Cygnar 2: Arcane Shield and Admonition get upkept.

I'm positioned poorly to contest the Circle zone, so I'm going to be giving up a freebie point. I want to clear out both Circle zones, however the left side Centurion was not placed to threaten the full zone without a feat trigger, aptly defeated by the contesting Sentry zone having a self produced forest for Prowl.

The flanking Chargers kill Twig Men for want of real targets and repo back. The left and centre Centurion Positive Charge and hold.
Sentry moves up, having been fully loaded by Junior. Rolls max shots, manages to put the opposing objective down to 2 boxes. He doesn't repo back, as I recall after the shots that he's the only model in the sodding list that lacks reposition.

Thunderhead moves up and finishes the objective off and repositions back.

Rightside Centurion is fully loaded, gets to charge the Black Clad Wayfarer. Pops him and repositions to be behind the wall as this flanks mechanics run up to toe the right zone.

CENTURION IS A CAV MODEL, FULLY BOOSTED CHARGE ATTACK ROLL FOR FREE

Both sides score their rectangles, I get the right zone as wellas the objective. 3-1.

IPB Image
Circle 3: Bradigus burns clock time pre-measuring concepts, the effect of reposition 5 making the waiting game very favourable to me.

Bradigus feats, the Wolds get pushed forward.

Right side, a Wold Wight charges a Gobber mechanic and kills him. The Sentry Stone on this side teleports back to safety behind the clouds, leaving the Twigmen to their fate.

Centrally, the Wold Warden charges the Sentinel and crushes it, then Geomancies a Battering Ram to knock Thunderhead back.
One Ram Hands runs up behind the Warden, Thunderhead Admonitions back into the zone.
Megalith tramples up behind and Geomancies another Battering Ram to again knock Thunderhead out, where he morphs into a proxy base because metal models can't handle even the slightest bit of 3D-ness on the table.
The other Guardian tramples up to the Arcane Shield Centurion, knocks him down and Battering Rams him back.

KRAYE GIVES STEADY NOTHING YOU CLOT.

Left side a Wold Wight ran up and engaged that sides Centurion.

Further back field, the left Sentry Stone has a Manikin spray my objective, rolls a nice 17 on the damage dice, putting it down to 6 points. The watcher then moves up and finishes it off.
Balls. I'd been assuming my objective would live at this point.

Fortunately the possession of a modicum of good habits stops the score due to a single mechanic toeing my rectangle zone.

Circle score their rectangle, score now 3-2.

IPB Image
Cygnar 3: The Wolds have pushed up far enough that I'm nervous about Kraye. Arcane Shield gets upkept, Kraye basically gives out focus like candy from a dubious van.

Leftwise, the Centurions kill a Wold Wight and the forward Guardian. Alas only one gets to Polarity Shield, he moves up left into that sides circle zone while the other goes into the rectangle and prays Arcane Shield is enough.
Charger doesn't get focus, kills a twigman. Consistency!

Thunderhead goes into the Wold Warden, an opening spike is then super let down by the damage rolls after it, so the damned jack does the average amount and falls short. That's not how Cygnar Jacks are meant to perform!

Rightwise this Centurion puts up Polarity Shield, tramples over Twigmen, repositions to toe the Circle Zone. The Charger shoots the rightside Wold Wight for good damage.

Junior backs up, kills off the right Wold Wight with a good shot.

Kraye opts to run off to the left. Avoiding the kill box and attacks from the forward Wolds is problematic given how spread out all my #### is and inevitably the right side jacks will be out of control, however I don't think they are super easy for Circle to deal with and I can carry on pusing the Circle zones for scenario.

I score the right zone, now 4-2.

IPB Image
Circle 4: Hippies clock out, we play it out for a bit. To much Fury on the board kneecaps the effectiveness of the Wold heavies at this juncture. Battering rams knock Thunderhead and the back contesting Centurion away, it takes Megalith and the Guardian to finish off Arcane Shielded Centurion.

HMM. I THOUGHT THERE WOULD BE MORE OF THESE

Hippies manage to score both rectangles to get to 4 all.

IPB Image
Cygnar 4: I re-contest up top, kill both Sentry Stones. Thunderhead and Junior with their powers combined managed to finish off the Wold Warden. Kraye hides like a chump

I score the sides to get to 6-4, we call it at that point.

Steady dammit. Steady. Biggest era probably the left side Centurion placement, also should have gotten Admonition back out after it expired. Kraye's personal positioning felt poor.

This post has been edited by Angry_Norway: May 11 2018, 09:58 AM
+Quote Post
Master Chris
post May 7 2018, 01:47 PM
Post #552

Yeah, I really like the way Kraye plays. Super fluid and dynamic.

Also, sidenote: Alexithymic Psychic Passionfruits is pretty dark, man.

PRETTY DARK.

Also, I played an Exemplar CID game yesterday.

MENOTH CALLS.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post May 12 2018, 03:37 AM
Post #553

Game 313 - Maelok1 (BC) vs Sorscha (JotW)
Epic Pit

Once more into stirring tales of ineptitude!

Being poorly manipulated on our end:

Minion Army - 75 / 75 points
[Theme] The Blindwater Congregation
(Maelok 1) Maelok the Dreadbound [+28]
- Blackhide Wrastler [16]
- Boneswarm [7]
- Bull Snapper [0(5)]
- Gatorman Soul Slave [0(5)]
Bone Shrine [2]
Gatorman Witch Doctor [4]
Thrullg [0(5)]
Thrullg [5]
Boil Master & Spirit Cauldron [5]
Gatorman Posse (max) [16]

Getting Arnold Schwarzenegger'd playing a Batman Villain by:

[Theme] Jaws of the Wolf
(Sorscha 1) Kommander Sorscha [+29]
- Beast 09 [18]
- Marauder [11
- Behemoth [25]
Widowmaker Marksman [4]
Cylena Raefyll & Nyss Hunters (max) [19]
- Koldun Kapitan Valachev [4]
Kayazy Eliminators [5]
Kayazy Eliminators [5]
Widowmaker Scouts [8]

Epic Pit. Fine. Yes. You got me with that unworded accusation. I did in fact roll up Outlast, do a minor eye roll and redo it. It'll be gone soon anyway.

Terrain is slopped around, quite unevenly. This is mostly because I'm lazy. I mean...good.....team event.....practice?

Apparently it was insufficiently lopsided, as I lose the roll and get given choice of table side anyway.
I get a far back forest, a defensive hill on the left and a pretty good obstruction/water blob at my end of the centre circle.
Oh yeah, I already forgot Snoke was a thing.
Khador get a hill in the centre circle, a forest on the right and some not super relevant water and trench out on the left.

IPB Image
Khador 1: I'd eat a porg. Looked sodding delicous.
Widowmakers and Behemoth come up left, Sorscha with the other jacks in the centre and Nyss on the right. Eliminators range out front.

IPB Image
Minion 1: Maelok Death Pacts and Soul Harvester's the Gold Posse on the right.
Gatorans run up spread out, assisted by Death Ride from the Witch Doc.
All Posse pop Dirge of Mists for concealment.
Cauldron gets maximum Sauce, so gets to put three Corpse Tokens on the Bone Swarm.

IPB Image
Khador 2: Mostly conservative forward movement. Sorscha pops up, Freezing Grips the right side Grey Posse then Wind Rushes back.

Left wise, Behemoth aims for the Jack Marshall damage increase, puts a Bone Posse on one box. Second shot aims for the bundle of Purple Posse, misses, scatters max distance forward and kills the left side Thrullg. Was NOT expecting that.
Widowmakers finish off the injured Posse, one unit of Eliminators come in, scratch up one Gator and contes the left rectangle.

Centrally the Marauder trundles forward and toes the centre zone.

Right wise the Nyss do a variety of CRA's, put two Posse on four boxes each.
Eliminators on this side also come in, they put a Posse member on 1 box. Heh heh. Member. That's intrinsically funny because thinking you are part of a grouping is just participation in a shared delusion brought about by evolutionary needs.

IPB Image
Minion 2: Plan seems simple enough, rush in and clear the zones and get up four points to none. No way this can be bungled up.

Maelok pops feat and Death Pact after getting the Puppet re-roll off the Cauldron.
He moves forward and throws Mortality on the Marauder, draws a Fury off the Bone Shrine which curses him.

Left wise, the Bone Posse charge around, one goes up and eats a Widowmaker. Two go into the Eliminators, with re-rolled attacks they actually manage to eat one. Last unit bro bounces hard off the objective, doing a mighty two points. Hmm.

Centrally, the Wrastler and Bull Snapper move in front of Maelok, Spiny Growth goes up and Rage is put on the Bone Swarm.
Swarm goes into the Marauder, straight dice damage does not do as much as I hoped.

Between those two areas the Purple Posse unit leader turns to face me. He stares at me, locked forever in his Donkey Kong Villain Underling dance. Alas, being both an inanimate object and fluff wise lacking the appropriate mouth parts to simulate human languages, he is forced to use his shoddy inked in eyes to transmit the intended message. "I got this boss" it declares.

The Purple unit charges in. One hangs behind the obstruction as he didn't have distance nor line of sight available and he could be a Revive point. Hypothetically. The unit leader moves up to toe the left and centre zone, stretch that mighty command 7.
One of these Posse goes into the Enemy objective and leaves it on one point. The other two go into the Marauder, spike the damage. Leave it on one box. Purple Posse Bokor was filled with nought but lies.

Out right the remaining Thrullg kills one Eliminator with rear attacks. Tamatoa squad charge up into various spots, one goes into Beast 09. Does a single point and triggers hyper Aggressive to give him an extra bit of forward advance. More on this later. Tamatoa squad also kill the other Eliminator.

Um.....think mistake analysis can be it's own thing after the model movements are listed.

IPB Image
Khador 3: There's a strange amount of time spent thinking I've laid some ploy or have set up a trap. It's eventually realised that is sadly not the case.

Sorscha moves up, feats. All good think I, I've got tough beasts in front of Maelok anyway.
So Tempest is a spell. One that easily hits the Wrastler to knock down Maelok.

Khador have Sorschas cannon, Behemoths gun shots, some Nyss CRA's and a fully loaded Beast 09 that can go into Maelok with two fury. I concede.

Alright, this needs some break down.

IPB Image
First things first, being a negative popsicle doesn't help. That just means you've dropped and melted into the new carpet and/or couch and/or mighty fine example of tapestry. Biggest mistake is conceding, the odds of survival are small however dropping a game in a tournament would be against my principles, that should be lived up to in practice games as well. Plus the point is fun dammit, I play the games and dribble about them to much because I enjoy them and writing them up is a thinly veiled excuse for reliving them.

Do need to get more games in, have slowed up dramatically. The start of the year plan of getting to a tourney every month is utterly shot, however is it really a new years resolution if you don't ###### it up?

IPB Image
Gilmore girls was horribly over rated and we as a society need to move on from that. On the day of typing is when Brooklyn 99 got cancelled, so that seems to be drawing all the attention instead. Haven't seen it.

List Drop Selection: Not much to relate given inexperience with the list.

Side Selection: I think my choice stands after the fact. The other side makes my deployment less cramped by a forest, however it lacks a spot for Maelok to hide and the opposing list is going to aim for an assassination in the matchup regardless.

Deployment: Mostly happy with. Only real question is if the Bone Shrine needed to be protected or not. Does it get attacked instead of Posse? is it needed for arcing? Ultimately I think it's jsut needed for a Fury generation, probably more games required for an accurate conclusion.

IPB Image

My turn...1: I'm getting to this less than sober. I'd apologize, but ###### Will Smith.
Two broad errors have occurred here, though there overlap is considerable in the board cicumstances that confront us.
The first is that we've spread out quite fa, positioning enacted without thought to the consequences. This is at odds with keeping models within Death Pact range, in particular our drive to move Posse up towards the rectangles has ensured that we are not as far forward as we ought to be in order to threaten the max scoring that we wanted for future turns.
I'm loving Dschinghis Khan at the moment. Not sure why. Maybe German Disco was the era I was destined for and I'm to late? You know, the bull###### way people think they were perfectly suited for a narrow slot of time whilst ignoring the many difficulties and issues of that particular segment of history?

Dammit mother######er you're meant to be less mopey. I don't care for Beyonce's music.

IPB Image
I found it quite strange that the foreword to the latest Asimov collection I read indicated that he tired of Nightfall being considered his best work, given the proliferation of his robotic series. Yes, that includes the bastardisation that was the Will Smith film.

Turn 2: In terms of specific matchup flaws, I've played into Vlad 2 far to often. The thoughts occupying my mind were those of super powered Eliminators, when the real issue was that Sorscha counter positioning involves keeping #### base to base, having a secondary line, not having a larger base near your caster for Tempest line of sight drawing. Truly, when I looked at Sorcha1 previously I was all gung ho for some ranged knocked down ability.
Maelok had no business exposing himself. Previous round positining should have seen the Wrastler threaten the whole zone and had the Spell Slave positioned to Mortality whils tthe Warlock cowered behind the obstruction.
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post May 16 2018, 03:15 PM
Post #554

Game 314 - Maelok (BC) vs Elara2 (LoD)
Spread the Net

We arrive once more at the opening day of the week as determined by ISO 8601. I didn't know we needed a standard for that, yet somehow I feel worse knowing that I'm older than it. Monstrous.

You saw the title, ergo you will be shocked at my lies and misinformation as I play...Maelok!

Minion Army - 75 / 75 points
[Theme] The Blindwater Congregation
(Maelok 1) Maelok the Dreadbound [+28]
- Blackhide Wrastler [16]
- Boneswarm [7]
- Bull Snapper [0(5)]
- Gatorman Soul Slave [0(5)]
Bone Shrine [2]
Gatorman Witch Doctor [4]
Thrullg [0(5)]
Thrullg [5]
Boil Master & Spirit Cauldron [5]

Now the truly hard part:
IPB Image

Retribution Army - 75 / 75 points
[Theme] Legions of Dawn
(Elara 2) Elara, Death's Shadow [+28]
- Harpy [9]
- Manticore [14]
- Siren [8]
Arcanist Mechanik [2]
Arcanist Mechanik [2]
Arcanist Mechanik [2]
Dawnguard Sentinel Scyir [0(4)]
- Siren [8]
Dawnguard Sentinel Scyir [4]
- Siren [8]
Eiryss, Mage Hunter of Ios [0(7)]
Dawnguard Sentinels (max) [18]
- Dawnguard Sentinel Officer & Standard [4]
- Soulless Escort (1) [1]
Dawnguard Sentinels (max) [18]
- Dawnguard Sentinel Officer & Standard [4]
- Soulless Escort (1) [1]

Consider the jacks super unverified, as subtly indicated above.

That's a lot of heavy hitting, guess it's a good acid test provided I don't pilot this pile of snappers incompetently.

Spread the Net isn't ideal matchup wise given how hard the opposing list can rumble, normally this is why I like to add Totem Hunter esque solos and ambushing models. Alas poor Bog Trog Ambusher.

I lose the roll, get second. Both rectangle zones have a defensive wall, so that consideration isn't strong. Biggest swing vote ends up being ye old central forest, which looks like a potential hidey hole for Maelok and utterly painful if I'm on the opposite side given pathfinder in the list is low after the feat, an aspect of it I'm not a massive fan of it. This means Ret get a hill around their flag and I alkso gain a large pond plus on suite forest near my own flag, though it's not placed in a meaningfull manner for me.

IPB Image
Round 1: Le' elves le'march le'forward.
Sentinels flank either side, jacks up the centre. Eiryss is out on the Ret flag on the right.

My trevails can now truly begin. I have to get up the board and give enough away to make Elara pop her feat, however I can't lose so much as to be unable to strike back.
I say ###### it and just everything forward, relying on the Croc toughness to take the blows. Death Pact goes up obviously, I put Soul Harvester on the left Gold Posse (Tamatoa squad). One Thrullg goes out on the right, planning to eventually kill Eiryss and score the Ret flag.

IPB Image
Ret 2: Left wise this flanks unit of Sentinels pop their mini feat and charge in, clustering a line of bro's around my flag. They kill the Bone Shrine and the two Grey Posse that got sent out front as the first wave of the doomed. The....Ret Heavy Jack comes in with a full focus load, the Arcanist strength buff and Scything Touch, rekts me good as it kills aother pair of Grey Posse and two of the Tamotoa's. Ouch.

Right side, the other lot of Sentinels come in after the back ligh jacks and Eiryss kill a Purple Posse.
This unit struggles somewhat, particularly to hit, and only get a small portion of their unit so I think they kill no Posse.
One of the jack marshalled Sirens gets focus of Arcanists and Scything Touch flipped to it. It then goes full Purple People Eater, coming in and munching up three Purple Posse. Yeesh.
Said Siren is sadly a similar colour to the Bone Posse and melds in somewhat. See, it's not always the photography, sometimes it's the objects fault.

Elara and other stuff chills up back.

IPB Image
Minion 2: In total I lost ten Posse, leaving two units with just their hopping mad unit leader left. Actually feels alright, the charge has been eaten and now I can nom back, line up some souls and get the first control points.

Witch Doc moves up in the back field and Death Rides, getting the right side of Posse.
Maelok Death Pacts, then backs up and Mortalities the Ret Heavy jack. Pops feat.
The Soul Slave moves up to toe the centre zone, puts Mortality on the left unit of Sentinels, the advance required by the Mage Static limits.

Left wise, the Tamatoa Posse tear into the Sentinels, killing with all six attacks.
The Bone Swarm goes in, kills another three and sits in the centre zone.
Thrullg runs over to my flag.
Last of the Grey Posse charges up into the Sentinel Officer and toes the Ret Rectangle zone, gains great affinity with Snake Viewing Apparatus as he rolls like garbage and does nought.

The Wrastler walks into the central forest and eats the Ret heavy jack.

Right wise, the Thrullg isn't super keen to get munched by the Sentinels, so runs up to the extreme right edge of the board.
Bone Posse stab at their own Sentinel sandwhich, kill five.
Bullsnapper slams the Siren, knocks it way back. Important point being it can't Shake due to being Jack Marshalled.

I score my flag and rectangle, get up 0-2.

IPB Image
Ret 3: I just ranked Jumanji higher than Shawshank Redemption. I think people will forgive that. I don't think they will take the same approach for Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle being higher than both of them.

Leftwise, the Sentinels kill off one Gold and the last Grey Posse whilst one of the lights kills off the Bone Swarm.
Central zone wise Light jack shots kill the Soul Slave to the box and push the Wrastler out of the zone, ending up behind the forest.
Rightwise Sentinels move forward, they end up killing two of the Bone Posse and the last Purple fella. Also tough out a third of the Bone ones.

Ret score their flag and rectangle, now 2 all.

IPB Image
Minion 3: I'm relatively happy with my position at this point. I'll pop back some fellas, contest away and counter score again.

Maelok stays backfield, pops Death Pact and returns two Gold and one Bone Posse to the fold.

Left wise the Gold Posse wiggle around, a revived Gator gets up to contest the Ret rectangle while another engages things in the centre zone. I then have three Sentinels to kill with four attacks, it goes abyssmally and I kill one. I manage the clear out the flag, however it means the THrullg has to charge over the flag to do it and is now in a position to be mauled. Yeech.

I then swing to the right zone, where three Posse and a Bullsnapper have to kill four Sentinels to clear the zone. They kill two.
Well, that's gone...poorly.....
The Wrastler moves across, models in the way means he just eats another Sentinel.

I toe the central zone behind the forest with the Witch Doc to contest, at least have the mild success of Thrullg charging in and killing Eiryss, though he couldn't do so and get to the Ret flag.

I score my flag, 2-3 and now looking grim.

IPB Image
Ret 4: Around my flag, Ret use clever solo placement to give flank to have one of their marshalled jacks come in and kill the Thrullg and two healthy Posse. The two revived Tamatoa Posse are easily killed by bit attacks.

Right wise, the Sentinels flail a bit and only kill one Bone Posse.
A Fully Loaded Marshalled jack comes in and kills the Wrastler.

Ret score their Rectangle, now 3 all.

[img]https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ElyJzw5F9y8/WvpDD-ePimI/AAAAAAAATGc/DeufegmY6cMm4u8SnCelhXgBHE44hUcsQCLcBGAs/s1600/DSC_0220.JPG[/img[
Minion 4: Balls. The left flank has been evaporated. Can only hope I can somehow push up he right and set up scoring on the Ret flag.

Pot moves up, kills the last Sentinel in the left side unit.

Maelok has to charge up the right, where he Mortalities and buys attacks to kill the Jack that killed the Wrastler.
Bone Posse kill off the Sentinels in my Rectangle.

We both score our Rectangles, now 4 all.

IPB Image
Ret 5: Bullsnapper dies, Solos run to flags, light jacks use gun shots to push the Pot out of the central zone and kill his Gator helper. A dude runs up to contest my Rectangle.

Ret score the central zone, their rectangle and both flags, now 4-8.

IPB Image
Minion 5: It's the end of the world as we know it, I feel fiiiiinnnnnne-ish.
Maelok Mortalities and hurts the forward Ret jack, Bone Posse charge and spread out to kill a couple Arcanists and fiish said Jack off.

IPB Image
Ret 6: Elara charges in to finish off some Posse, Ret up winning 6-14.

Hmmmm. Immediately after the game my thinking was Ret got to much work done on my feat turn, I don't think that's necessarily true. If the only consideration was dice rolls, I'd apporpitation blame for the loss on my turn after that in which I did dismal damage to the half surviving Sentinel units.
Really though, to get into the true problems:

Deployment: Sillyness with the Bone Shrine. It should have been placed to the right behind the wall where it could arc Mortalities on anything in my rectangle. Putting it on my flag made it very easy to get to for the Sentinels, depriving me of hte even greeatere benefit of nabbing a Fury off it for a Fury stricken caster, which had a direct effect on later decision making.
Otherwise I was a lot happier than the last game, Posse were mobbed up, Maelok wasn't in easy danger, so that was something.
Oh, also I actually forgot to deploy the Witch Doc. I'd shuffled it alongside other models, so it was on the board in a workable position but not where I really wanted it (The frontline initially).

Early Game: I think I had to push everything forward to draw out Elara's feat. It's unfortunate, however I don't think it's wrong, trying a more pronounced piece trade deal doesn't scream success versus the longer threat range and disposable had hitting anture of the light jacks.
The Wrastler going in on teh Ret Heavy was also where I keenly felt the loss of the Bone Shrine, as I Mortalitied the jack whereas in a better world I debuff the right Sentinels and pops Rage on the Wrastler, alas twas not to be.

Mid Game: After the feat exchange, wherein I encounter my failure to break the Sentinels on the right side, the big problem was the Wrastler who was fundamentally exchanged for a warrior grunt. That said, he doesn't have a great spot to go, I'd hedge my own bets on either keeping him behind the forest or using hte Witch Doc to give him Ghostly and killing one of the Ret lights.

IPB Image
Late Game: Hmm. There's definitely some sillyness here, like whatever I was doing with the pot grunt. All the same my options don't feel great, one of those where-is-my-Totem-Hunter things. Oh well, the list works on principles I don't normally include in my lists as well, so that's that.

Getting better. Probably not in time for the team tourney coming up, though I think that's more a player issue than a list one.

+Quote Post
Master Chris
post May 17 2018, 09:06 AM
Post #555

Yeah, Southie's Elara list is ticking along nicely.

I think those Sentinels trade very favorably against Gatormen. Not 100% sure, as Gators get recursion and multiple attacks but a strong Alpha and Vengeance doesn't make it an easy match up for you.

In other news, I looked up ISO 8601 and can confirm that you are an amazing creature.

This post has been edited by Master Chris: May 17 2018, 09:07 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post May 17 2018, 10:10 AM
Post #556

QUOTE(Master Chris @ May 17 2018, 10:06 AM) *

I think those Sentinels trade very favorably against Gatormen. Not 100% sure, as Gators get recursion and multiple attacks but a strong Alpha and Vengeance doesn't make it an easy match up for you.

Sort of an -ish I think, the problem is the math is messed up by the vagueness of Weaponmasters versus teh boxes (i.e, whether spikes let one Setninel pop a Gator or it takes up to 4, affects of tough then soul feeding for recursion, etc.).

That said a better Maelok player probably manages their attacks better, or manages to kill the Jack marshalls/Ligh Jacks somehow.
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post May 18 2018, 12:35 PM
Post #557

Game 315 - Maelok (BC) vs Wurmwood (BoO)
Epic Recon

Shorter form because thats what I feel like. Bear in mind usually when I start off with that I end up typing an absurb amount over a piece of minutae that sometimes involves the game.

Also Chappie is an amazing film and makes me keenly aware that I cannot do a South African accent at all.

It's Maelok all Posse vs Wurmwood of the Wold faction.
Remember when Wolds were an absolute joke? I'm okay with this, I've always found Warpwolf's to be conceptually mweh (Plus the grump-fying amount of times I died to Ghetorix).

I lose the die roll and get given first. It's not a super difficult table, so that was a surprising result.

IPB Image
Minion 1:Look ma! I put the Bone Shrine behind a wall! Specifically, it's at a point where it can contest my flag and hopefully arc on anything that comes up to fight over it.

Otherwise #### pushes up. No Soul Harvester, sod all opposing souls and the Wold Wyrds would mulch whatever unit had an upkeep.

IPB Image
Circle 1: I give some bad advice.
Secifically, Wurmwood tries to pop a pair of Curse of Shadows via a Gallows on the left flank, misses both. Doing it twice means the block of wood can't teleport. We mistakenly think the tree is ######ed, when in hindsight only a couple Gators can get to it and are only about a 15% chance to assassinate. In any event, Wurmwood pops feat. Wold and stuff move up.

IPB Image
Minion 2: It's early enough that I think I can just save my feat and use the incoporeal more strategically later on.

Posse run forward as much as Maelok's control area and the forest will allow.

[img]https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-RuUNxNzrIRs/Wv10uugbTQI/AAAAAAAATH8/wK-Xhx2W530zuUhkTqUeQl4QrcT4GLc_wCLcBGAs/s1600/030%2B%2528800x450%2529.jpg[/img
Circle 2: It's much more fun, I must confess, with lives on the line. Not mine of course, but yours will do just fine. Or so maelok presumably muses as the Circle heavies rev up like dubious spring powered mechanism and come up and start slaying mah Gators.

All up six Posse die, mostly on the left. The Bone squad Bokor also toughs out.

Megs and the Wold Warden move up on the left, attempts to Stranglehold the Wrastler fail. Wurmwood arcs a Hellmouth on said Heavy to clear out the left zone.

Circle score two points, their flag and the left. 0-2.

IPB Image
Minion 3: Imph. Once more with the Bone Shrine placement. The Fealgeist as a contestor can't be venomed at the 4 inch from the flag point.

In any event, Maelok uses up his Fury putting Rage on the Bone Swarm and Wrastler, feat gets popped and he hides up back.

Posse bounce embarrisngly badly off the Sentry Stones, more than made up by the Wrastler killing the Warden/Megs with some Thrullg help and the Swarm killing a Mortalitied Wold Guardian.
The reserve Bone Posse end up just going forward to harass Wurmwood in future turns and remove most of the Sentry Stones that had been used as a blockade.

IPB Image
Circle 4: There's some bit activations and brutal Posse murders, some fail sprays and a concession. To much lost the turn before.

Slanted matchup from bad advice, poor Circle rolls on critical attacks and the Wrastler being pretty awesome for once. I'm cheap, I'll take it.
+Quote Post

28 Pages V « < 26 27 28
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th May 2018 - 06:23 PM