Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Aussie ETC team does us proud, 6th place against the world's best
Grimma
post Aug 6 2018, 07:30 AM
Post #1

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 7,561

Massive congrats to the lads who slugged it out with some of the finest T9A talent in the world to bring home a very creditable 6th place. Well done and I'm looking forward to reading your reflections on what must have been an amazing experience.

--------------------
The Man Cavers PLOG Awesome Sauce
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jimbo81
post Aug 6 2018, 08:30 AM
Post #2

On Parole

Member No.: 5,217

That is incredible! Well done!

How did Australia-B (NZ) go?

This post has been edited by Jimbo81: Aug 6 2018, 11:37 AM

--------------------
All Blacks Cheat Academy
+Quote Post
foodmonster1
post Aug 8 2018, 09:50 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 305

thanks all just landed last night so acclimating to the timezone so will put something out later in the week but very proud of the boys and what we achieved crazy good placing and time as ever

--------------------
Foodmonster formally known as the Chairman of IBAC
Dusting off the jacket and looking to give AG a world of hurt :)
+Quote Post
Jimbo81
post Aug 14 2018, 09:36 AM
Post #4

On Parole

bump

--------------------
All Blacks Cheat Academy
+Quote Post
Jimbo81
post Aug 17 2018, 08:24 AM
Post #5

On Parole

bump again.

--------------------
All Blacks Cheat Academy
+Quote Post
Scarloc90
post Aug 22 2018, 12:52 AM
Post #6

Group: ETC team
Member No.: 17,891

As one of the German Mercs on this year’s Team I can give a short roundup of especially my games and a bit of intel on how the rounds went.

First of all, I’m Hazel and I played this year’s Infernal Dwarves:

525 - Overlord, General, Shield, Onyx Core, Death Chester, Potion of Swiftness, Gauntlets of Madzhab
530 - Prophet, Wizard Master, Shield, Alchemy, Magical Heirloom, Talisman of the Void
275 - Prophet, Wizard Adept, Pyromancy
285 - Vizier, BSB, Shield, Willows Ward, Icon of the Inferno
384 - 12x Citadel Guard, Flintlock Axe, Shield, C, M
384 - 12x Citadel Guard, Flintlock Axe, Shield, C, M
364 - 12x Citadel Guard, Flintlock Axe, Shield, M
605 - 20x Immortals, Shields, Infernal Weapons, FCG, Flaming Standard
575 – 5 Kadim Incarnates
575 – 5 Kadim Incarnates

Pretty safe List that blast you with Missile Spells and is ultrahard hitting if you get to close! If People walk into range of my flintlocks they are often surprised by their impact. List is quite weak in many Objectives and can easily be outmanoeuvred if you not careful. Therefor its very hard to force a good result onto an opponent and most games should end within the 7-13-point margin if my opponent doesn’t push in.

Test rounds:

Wednesday noon test round against Ireland.

Pairings went well. I was put out twice and got send back thus ending as one the last armies and had to face an extremely risky Dwarven Holds list:

Fergus Finch - Dwarven Holds
455 - King, General, Shield, Rune of Destruction, Rune of Fury, 2x Rune of Iron, Rune of Smashing
325 - Thane, BSB, Holdstone, Shield,Rune of Iron, 3x Rune of Lightning
245 - Runic smith, Rune of Devouring, shield
220 - 3x10 Clan Marksman, Crossbow, Shield
480 - 30 Clan Warrior, M, C, Shield
606 - 6 Hold Guardian, M
245 - 2x 10 Miners, M, Throwing Weapons
210 - 2x Steam Bomber
300 - 2x Catapult, Rune Crafted
105 - 2x Dwarf Ballista

Two Rune Crafted Catapults and quite a few shots make this a very risky match. What I didn’t know…. My Opponent is very inexperienced and doesn’t really know what my list does and so on. He deploys one catapult in range for first turn Missile spells and the other one of the Hill so I can hide behind a unit of Kadims. I drop to take first turn. He Deploys his Hold Guardians and Main Block directly in front of Kadims and Immortals.

I march up and start my Magic Phase. He is not aware of what My H-Spell does lets it go off and I take off the first catapult with H Spell, Icon and the Small Fireball.

Flintlocks march into a Forest putting them in Range to shoot his units next turn but still being in cover from his Shooting.

Game is pretty much over. His Main Block marches right into the Immortals face and the Hold Guardians march in front of both Kadim Units. His Shooting kills a few Flints.

I charge the Main block with my Immortals and the Guardians with my Kadims. Magic, he stops Word of Iron with all his Dice. I get off Corruption on the Hold Guardians and Glory of Gold on the Kadims leaving the Hold Guardians with no armour and getting both Units Flammable. I lose the Coin flip with the both Lords fighting each other but my Immortals kill his Block in two turns. Kaidms go through the Guardians in one turn and help out the immortals in the following. My flints in forest have time to shoot off everything in front of them.

19-1 cause I lose my General and we have to stop after T4.

Round went well with 90+ points. Dave´s game was counted 10-10 cause his Opponent wasn’t there yet (would’ve probably gotten more points here)

Thursday Morning test round vs New Zealand:

I get to play James and his Dread Elves:

James Brown – Dread Elves
615 - Dread Prince, General, Cult of Yema, Raptor Chariot, Heavy Armour, Lance, Shield, Basalt Infusion, Midnight Cloak, Transcendence
705 - Cult Priest, BSB, Cult of Yema, Divine Altar with Paired Weapons, Shield, Legion Standard, Moraec's Reaping
290 - Oracle, Magical Heirloom, Wizard Adept, Path of Cosmology
200 - 10x Corsairs, Repeater Handbow
200 - 10x Corsairs, Repeater Handbow
200 - 10x Corsairs, Paired Weapons, M
530 - 30x Dread Legionnaires, Spears, M, S, C, Banner of Speed
612 - 26x Dancers of Yema, M, S, C
473 - 7x Dark Acolytes, Cult of Yema, C
135 - 5x Harpies
180 - 1x Dread Reaper
180 - 1x Dread Reaper
180 - 1x Dread Reaper

I tested against those kinds of DE lists beforehand and felt very confident Playing into it. Very Important here, no Divination, no Flaming Ward on the Altar and those small Corsairs units that are quite easy Points.

James will continue to play a very smart match with using his Corsairs as Chaff and Blocking many paths for me to get los on the dancers or setting up Counter charges for his incoming Blocks.

I win the first big Coinflip with his Acolytes charging a unit of 4 Kadims and getting buffed up quite a lot. He fluffed his Attacks and I kill the unit in two turns with still having 2 Kadims left afterwards (Lucky me).

And a very defining one his Chariot lord has a swift 8 charge into a unit of Flints with overrun into 5 Kadims. Unit does have a champ which doesn’t help much cause him getting free in my turn would be a disaster. He fails the charge and chaffs me up with five corsairs.

In my turn he now has to flee the lord from a charge of 6 flints with champ that would’ve pinned the Lord for an Immortal counter next turn. In the following I can charge the Spearmen with Altar, kill the Altar and pursue into the dancers (Spears got away). I kill the mage cause James wasn’t aware of how Cascading Fire works since the Update and had her standing around alone within 12” 2d6 later shes gone.

Game ends with quite a few casualties on his side but the objective to him I believe.

13-7?? Maybe 12-8 to me! Round ends well with almost a hundred Points to us.

Thursday Afternoon: ASHES!

As a German Merc it had to be explained to me that this is the real deal and that this was the most important one we´d be playing all week. Got our Pairings done with a small win in our favour but a few toughies that would have to hold their points. Glen Playing into maybe the worst matchup ever hoping to get any Points (UD vs Dread Elves).

I got Paired into EoS and Objective was Spoils of war:

Raff Harbinson - Empire of Sonnstahl
360 – Prelate, General, Great Weapon, Plate Armour, Imperial Seal, Lockett of Sunna
325 – Marshall, BSB, Shield, Death Warrant, Blacksteel, Great Tactician
450 – Wizard, Heirloom, Binding Scroll, Wizard Master, Cosmology
505 – Marshall, Griffon, Shield, Pistol, Hero’s Heart, Ghostly Guard, Winter Cloak, Lucky Charm
140 – 10x State Militia
259 – 18x Light Infantry, Crossbows, M
259 – 18x Light Infantry, Handguns, M
289 – 18x Light Infantry, Handguns, M, S, Marksman's Pennant
180 – 5x Electoral Cavalry, Shields
633 – 29x Imperial Guard - Great Weapons, M, C, S, Household Standard
600 – 5x Knights of the Sun Griffon, Shields & Lances, M, C, S
90 – 2x5 Imperial Rangers
160 – 2x1 Imperial Rocketeer

We were expecting a draw out of this one. He has nothing capable of fighting my Units as long as he hadn’t shot off half of them, but his shooting can ruin my day quite fast.

I get first turn and of we go. March up and first Magic Phase takes off 12 Crossbows that flee panicking and one of the Rocketeers while still staying outside of 24” of the Hand gunners (big mistake in Raffs deployment) Prolem is that the Immortals are now in the open and I will only avoid shooting for one turn.

Raff marches in range ready to take his first token next turn. I had time taking mine. Shooting does nothing.

I Stay where I am and burn of a unit of 18 Hand gunners in one turn. Rolling double 6 on the Hereditary cast and getting the 2d6 Fireball off 4 dice vs 6 dice might have helped.

His turn he is getting ready to grab the middle token and clinching the objective to him with his unit of Demis. Problem here is I have to shield vs the Fireborn Cowboy that would take the Kadims if don’t have the immortals to counter.

I now have to focus on Alchemy Spells to have Demis and the Cowboy flammable and starting to lower their Armour/Increase mine to win the Standoff.

In his Turn he takes his 3 minutes and decides to play safe. Grab the token turn around and run. Right now, we will finish this game 09-11.

In his turn I kill a unit of 5 Rangers. Just when we wanted to continue I realise the Demis have to take a panic check. They fail their Reroll 9 and drop the token. We measure its and its literally 12,2” to my Immortals with my 5th Turn coming up (0,2”!!!!!!). Very Lucky for me they have dropped it, unlucky it was too far away.

I march up within 1” of the token meaning in order to pick it up he would have to charge the Imperial Guard into the immortals and fight them 3 rounds (Immortals take off around 20 Guards before he Strikes).

He doesn’t charge in so game is over right here with Demis Rallying.

12-8 to me.

Round actually goes well with our WdG scoring big vs Craigs Beast Herds.
Last game to finish was Dave’s Game with us needing around 12 points to take it all. It wasn’t going to be today.
England wins the Ashes 83-77.

ETC

Friday First Round: Latvia

We went into this very Confident. Got paired into Ivan’s SA.

Ivan Diaz - SA
885 - Cuatl Lord, general, BSB, alchemy/divination, essence of a
free mind, binding scroll, banner of the relentless company,
grasp of the immortal, trained from birth
165 - Skink Priest, druidism, talisman of the void
135 - Skink Captain, shield, paired weapons, egg of the quetzal
800 - 40x Skink Braves, M, S, C, tree frog banner, 4x Caimans
180 - 15x Skink Braves, M, C
822 - 26x Temple Guard, M, C, S, rending banner
415 - 1x Stygiosaur, mystic traveller
309 - 4x Ramphodon Riders, shield
309 - 4x Ramphodon Riders, shield
110 - 5x Skink Hunters
110 - 5x Skink Hunters
130 - 5x Chamaleons
130 - 5x Chamaleons

Funny Story to go with this. Weeks before I played this game vs Ivan on UB and he played it ultra-aggressive and ######ed up the objective giving me the 13-7 win. Since this was the same objective we were in for it again.

I take first turn and Ivan deploys everything out of range of my Missiles. I do however get off the first Corruption onto the Temple Guard.

He Pushes up and that’s it since I stood out of range myself.

I March up Cast of a few Spells killing around 8 Temple Guard already.

Surprisingly Ivan is setting up a very aggressive Chargechain right into the middle of my Army.

I focus on the fast units and kill 2 ½ Ramphos alongside with two Units of Skinks with Magic.

Ivan Realises that in order to not totally lose this Match he now has to Push in and giving he had already lost 8 Guards that’s very risky. He goes on to take his 3 minutes and comes back offering me 11 points on the match.

I had a quick chat with my Coach. All the games were going as planned or even a bit better, and 11 points was one over prediction. We took the 11 and the game ended without ever really starting.

Round went:
Jack (OnG) vs UD 8-12
Stefan (WdG) vs VC 16-4
Dave (DL) vs HbE 6-14
Glen (UD) vs SE 4-16
Herby (OK) vs OK 12-8
Fred (BH) vs DE 20-0
Akhter (VC) vs KoE 19-1 Watch out for these Games
Australia 96-64 Latvia

Friday Second Round: Switzerland

That’s what you get for winning Big!
The Swiss are a very good Team of quite experienced Warhammer Players. This wasn’t going to be easy. Can’t Remember how Pairings went but I got paired into Daemon Legions and a very risky match up.

Andy "Argor" Geiser - Deamon Legions
1220 - Weaver of Change, General, Power Vortex, Shackles of Reality, Soul-Bound Staff, Aether Wand, Master, Thaumaturgy
430 - Harbinger of Change, Blazing Chariot, Obsidian Horn, Apprentice, Witchcraft
345 - 10x Horrors, M, C
265 - 3x15 Sirens, M, C
215 - 2x2 Clawed Fiends
180 - 5x Mounted Sirens
260 - 1x Blazing Chariot
345 - 1x Blood Chariot
495 - 1x Daemon Engine, Daemon of Change, Hellish Breath

I dropped to take first Turn and watched my Opponent deploy. Obviously, I wasn’t good at keeping my poker face and he changed it around quite a bit. When he was finished he had totally ######ed up his Deployment putting all real Threats at very long range and all soft and easy Targets on my side and totally in range of my magic. Just when we were about to start his coach came running in and took his 3 minutes to deploy his complete for him and changing it around completely. If he had come around a few seconds later damage would’ve been done and it would’ve been a very different game.

Since three units were already deployed before I dropped I focused on some soft targets burning of a unit of fiends.

He closes in but pays respect to my magic and blocks los or stays out of range. I keep all my six dice to dispel the comet. 4 dice vs 6 the first comet is in the middle of my army. One is normally alright since it only wounds on threes and I save the wounds on 5+ everywhere. Problem is in Order to dispel it every Turn I let both missiles go off into the Kadims slowly decimating them and making sure they can’t fight the engine anymore.

My turn I burn of some more stuff and start facing the incoming daemon army.

He closes in a bit more but stays at range, he Is waiting for the comet to come down and charge in afterwards. In his Magic phase 4 vs 6 dice the next Comet goes thru. (getting frustrated here). First comet comes down and does a lot of damage to the Kadims that are already damaged by all the small missiles and the shooting.

My Turn I charge the daemon engine with a unit of three Kadims. I get the attribute off on it and also burn the Hero Chariot and most of the single chariot aswell. The Kadims get five wounds onto him and on 5+5+ he saves all of them. I get 4-5 wounds in return and save 3 despite divine attacks.

In his Turn he doesn’t really do anything but getting the third comet off with 4 vs 5 dice. Next Comet comes down and leaves me with around 5-6 models in each flint unit and only three Kadims in the other unit. Immortals are low numbers and can’t really hold against anything anymore. Starting next turn my characters are in danger not being able to hide from the cannon and spells.

My Turn I charge the second unit of Kadims to the Engine and guess what I make a single wound but lose the last Kadim of the first unit. I get 1 wound onto the bird and that’s it.

With still a comet in here he still can’t push. Missiles don’t do anything and cannon misses. I finally kill the engine and get a reform. Comet comes down taking the sorry rest of my army apart all chars still alive.

I charge the Kadims to a sirens flank taking the unit in 2 turns cast a bit of stuff and kill 2 fiends.

His turn he is scared of the onyx hammer and doesn’t charge the bird. Kadims get shot or casted to death. Cannon snipes out my overlord.

I pull out all the chars and have them stand around on their own: he can’t kill of them. In a Hail Mary I get the H-Spell off on the Bird. Banner does a wound (bird on 4 wounds). I Cast the boosted 3d6 Fireball he dispels it. I cast the small fireball, 6 hits, 3 wounds after reroll and only one save (5+5+) (Bird on 2 wounds). First attribute, 3 hits, 2 wounds, one save (bird one 1 wound). Banner 2 hits, 1 wound and no save (Bird is dead). WOW!!! 1420 points from two spells. Needless to say, dude is not amused. (I still had the d3+1 coming up after this)

He charges sirens to the back of two immortals, shoots the BSB and the small mage panics but stays on the board. Immortals need a 5 to hold vs sirens and stick to save half points.

Points give us an 8-12 by 2 points I believe and Objective makes it an 5-15. Giving I couldn’t dispel a single comet and the engine just wouldn’t die I’m ok with this.

Round doesn’t go well at all tho:
Jack (OnG) vs SE 3-17
Stefan (WdG) vs DH 10-10
Dave (DL) vs VC 10-10
Glen (UD) vs UD 1-19
Herby (OK) vs EoS 8-12
Fred (BH) vs SA 13-7
Akhter (VC) vs KoE 12-8 KoE Count:2 31 Points out of 2 games
Australia 62-98 Switzerland

Saturday Third Round: Croatia

First of all, I don’t know how it happened but I didn’t have good predictions vs their lists and I was actually looking into a very boring match and probably a small loss because we were playing Spoils of war.

However, when I was put out during pairing one of the armies we were allowed to choose from to play with me was a silvan elves army. My games vs Silvan Elves normally all look the same. If they put something in range I burn it off. If something is too close I charge it and kill it. Problem is they outrange me and always shoot of the Kadims and therefor games often end in draws or on case of a bad objective in a small loss for me.

Now Imagine you went thru the SE book and start building your army list and pick all the units you like and when your finished you still have to fill core and take 2 units of ten archers and a unit of spears. Imagine when you did all that and then realise you forgot to bring some shooting and have to play an Infernal dwarves army with 2 units of Kadims, Pyromancy and a banner that will Feck you up all day.

Well….
385 - Forest Prince, General, Blade Dancer, Spear, Hunter's Honour, Glyph of Amryl
275 - Druid, Sylvan Blades, Rod of Battle, Adept, Shamanism
265 - Druid, Talisman of the Void, Adept, Druidism
320 - Thicket Shepherd, BSB, Oaken Crown
355 - 20x Forest Guard, M, C, S, Rending Banner
150 - 2x8 Dryads
285 - 2x10 Sylvan Archers, M
447 - 14x Forest Rangers, Vanguard and +1"" Advance Rate, M, C, S, Rending Banner
405 - 4x Thicket Beasts, C
100 - 1x Forest Eagle
421 - 10x Blade Dancers, M, C, S, Flaming Standard
345 - 5x Wild Huntsmen, Shield, S
310 - 3x Kestrel Knights, Hard Target and Shield

I kill everything but the spears and the Thickets with BSB, lose one unit of Kadims after it killed both archers both dryads and the rangers. Magic burns off Dancers with chars, Eagle, Huntsmen and Kestrels. Game took one Hour.

Feel sorry for the Fella that his team threw him under the bus that bad.
19-1

Round went very well:
Jack (OnG) vs VC 1-19
Stefan (WdG) vs DL 20-0
Dave (DL) vs HbE 16-4
Glen (UD) vs VS 19-1
Herby (OK) vs EoS 6-14
Fred (BH) vs SA 20-0
Akhter (VC) vs KoE 20-0 KoE Count:3 51 Points out of 3 games
Australia 121-39 Croatia (capped 100:60)

Saturday Fourth Round: USA

Tough match up. We expected a very balanced match with most players skills on the same level and very close games. Pairings predicted us a small win. Got Paired into DE

Jake "Mother######in" Murphy - Dread Elves
595 - Dread Lord, General, Cult of Yema, Raptor Chariot, Heavy Armor, Shield, Repeater Crossbow, Lance, Transcendence, Lucky Charm, Midnight Cloak
720 - Cult Priest, BSB, Cult of Yema, [Divine Altar, Paired Weapons], Paired Weapons, Shield, Moraec's Reaping, Basalt Infusion
475 - Oracle, Cult of Yema, Talisman of the Void, Wizard Master, Path of Witchcraft
465 - 26x Dread Legionnaires, Cult of Yema, Spears, M, S, C, Rending Banner
425 - 24x Dread Legionnaires, Cult of Yema, Spears, M, S, C, Flaming Standard
265 - 15x Dread Legionnaires, Cult of Yema, M, S, Academy Banner
502 - 21x Dancers of Yema, M, S, C
375 - 5x Dark Acolytes, Cult of Yema, C
135 - 5x Harpies
180 - 3x1 Dread Reaper

Remember the New Zealand Game? I knew how to play this. Jake takes first turn and I can See he will push in. I deploy everything in a ruin and in cover and let him start.

He rearranges the troops and pulls the acolytes in range to the Kadims. Magic and Shooting do anything.

My turn I don’t really move. I kill the unit of Acolytes with magic.

Same next two turns. He doesn’t do anything and start casting on those Dancers

Start of his third He takes his 3 minutes to check if he should push now. After the three minutes he sets up his charges for next turn and moves very aggressive. Only those dancers are trying to move around me but will find themselves in front and range of round 30 flintlocks next turn.

I take my 3 Minutes because my opponent has made a fatal mistake. Literally on the board I now have a Charge into the altar on a roll of 7 with a 0” inch overrun to the lords flank with the immortals with no counters anywhere and no space for chaff giving me a free reform in his turn to charge one of the spear units and ending this game with an almost guaranteed 20 points. I only need a roll of 7. My Opponent comes back from his Toilet break and realises what he had done. He meant to give a charge on a roll of 10 but instead put his altar 10” away. I declare the charge roll the 7 kill the Altar, overrun to the lord’s flank, Shoot the Dancers almost completely.

Well its over. That mistake just broke the game. Because its all so narrow and tight there is nothing he can do.
20-0

Round goes very well with very good play from the whole team (Herby had to take one for the Team and had a rough one) and finally a so much deserved and big win for jack:
Jack (OnG) vs DL 20-0
Stefan (WdG) vs OK 20-0
Dave (DL) vs VC 14-6
Glen (UD) vs HbE 2-18
Herby (OK) vs UD 0-20
Fred (BH) vs SA 1-19
Akhter (VC) vs KoE 19-1 KoE Count:4 70 Points out of 4 games
Australia 96-64 USA

Sunday fifth Round: France

On the last day we found ourselves that high up that no matter what we were going to play two top teams on Sunday even if we lost game 5.

We had a Team meeting the night before the game and made sure everyone went into this round very confident and focused. We had the chance to play for the podium if we beat the French.

Can’t remember how the pairings went but I got paired into VC.

Xavier "Goupil" Prioux, Vampire Covenant
910 - Vampire Count, General, The Dead Arise, Unbreackable Will , 4 Spells, Skeletal Steed, Shield, Heavy Armour, True Thirst, Hypnotic Pendant, Lucky Charm, Basalt Infusion, Wizard Master, Evocation
885 - Vampire Count, Monster Hunter, 4 Spells, Skeletal Steed, Heavy Armour, Paired Weapons, Touch Of Greatness, Cursed Medallion, Legend of The Black King, Potion of Swiftness, Wizard Master, Occultism
105 - 2 x 2 Bat Swarm,
133 - 8 x Dire Wolves, C
140 - 21 x Zombies, M
430 - 37 x Skeletons, M, S, C, Banner of Speed
300 - 1 x 1 Court of the damned
697 - 14 x Barrow Knights, M, S, C, Flaming Standard
474 - 6 x Vampire Spawn, C
318 - 4 x Vampire Spawn, C

Prediction is a draw. I deploy in a corner since its Capture the flags.

My opponent takes his 3 minutes and deploys in the opposite corner.

We shake hands on a 10-10.

2 minutes later Dave is dancing around the Table because his Opponent just lost his Mage bunker to panic and this game is almost a guaranteed 20 from this point.

My opponent just laughs and says he wished that has happened 2 minutes earlier so he could’ve pushed. Herby also shock Hands on a 10-10 and suddenly its looking very good for us.

10-10

Games go well with especially Glen holding his Opponent to 12 Points only in what could’ve easily been a huge loss. (well done Mate)

Round goes Extremely well but very much deserved.
Jack (OnG) vs DL 0-20
Stefan (WdG) vs OK 19-0
Dave (DL) vs VC 20-0
Glen (UD) vs HbE 8-12
Herby (OK) vs UD 10-10
Fred (BH) vs SA 9-11
Akhter (VC) vs DH 16-4 not KoE but all good. KoE Count:4 70 Points out of 4 games
Australia 92-68 France

Sunday sixth Round: Spain

We found ourselves on the third Place after Round 5.

Since Spain was ahead of Poland 5 Points they were first to get paired we play them in the Finale. Big game!

who would’ve thought we’d find ourselves in this position 2 days ago. We came together for a quick briefing.

We were literally playing for the podium in a match where we were the absolute underdog. We went into pairings very confident though.

Got paired into VS

Josu "epoepo" García - The Vermin Swarm
845 - Magister, general, 4 spells, Doom Bell, light armour, alchemist alloy, second awakening, crown of autocracy, Wizard Master, Thaumaturgy
195 - Chief, BSB, scepter of vermin valour
735 - Plague Patriarch, 2 spells, plague pendulum, plague flail, light armour, putrid protection, lucky charm, Wizard Adept, Occultism
476 - 41x Plague Brotherhood, M, C
509 - 27x Vermin Guard, M, S, Lightning Rod
140 - 20x Giant Rats
90 - 2x Rat Swarms
295 - 2x4 Vermin Hulks
170 - 2x8 Plague Disciples
290 - 2x1 Dreadmill

He takes the first turn. I corner my Army and off we go.

He Rushes forward but has most his units out of my range and only the two towers close enough to be a threat. Not much happening through magic.

I stay, magic kills some rats and causes 1 wound to a wheel.

He pushes his small units into the break through but keeping distance to my troops. Magic doesn’t do anything.

I catch him off guard and push out of the corner very aggressive and put the immortals right in front of the pendulum block. Magic kills some rats.

He chaffs me up and shoots 2 Kadims. Sniper gets a wound of the Alchemist.

He uses the Banner and I charge the Chaff. One wheel is down to 1 wounds.

1 wound wheel can charge the flank of 4 Kadims and gets in killing the entire unit on the charge.

Immortals get Chaffed the last time and the pendulum charges the other Kadim unit. I had them set so that the pendulum won’t be in contact when charging and because of being a warplatform couldn’t make way into contact. Kadims stick vs pendulum. Disciples and Hulks start closing in from a flank but only one unit will really cause a threat.

I charge the chaff and make it impossible to be chaffed again. Shoot a few Hulks and Shoot of the wheel. I don’t manage to kill the last rat swarm. Kadims hold against the pendulum but will die in his turn.

He kills the last kadim and reforms so that I would not kill the pendulum next phase because the onyx hammer wouldn’t be in contact. He fails the sniper and I can dispel the ward save for the pendulum.

I charge the pendulum but the onyx hammer can’t hit it. The block is steadfast sticks. I lose the Alchemy mage in contact but the pendulum is flammable. I setup a unit of flints for breakthrough but try to not let him see what I’m doing by eyeballing the distance and not measuring it. Since deployment was Encircle it was very hard to keep track of the Deployment zones and I was guessing by my opponents’ movements he had forgotten that my deployment zone was further away than he thought.

His Phase he doesn’t really move much. A unit of disciples and Hulks come very close to my lines. Id have to shoot that unit or risk losing a unit of flints. Pendulum dies but his block is steadfast and sticks.

I can’t keep my Poker face and measure the distances. He did screw up and his big block wont make breakthrough by less than half an inch. I only have to kill 2 HP of rat swarms so he cant chaff me up and block objective. Well I don’t, leaving 1 HP Swarms and destroying my chances of ever making it into Breakthrough. His block dies and I reform because they are fleeing under 25% and he has no chance to rally them. I don’t kill a single disciple.

Disciples charge flints and only lose one in ss and kill a unit of flintlocks. Swarm chaffs me up.

My last turn.

As many people know the ETC was decided by a single Point. Let me tell where this point could’ve come from.

I calculate the current score 9-11 and 6-14 with objective. When I kill that last HP swarm and those 3 disciples that are left it’s an 7-13 loss which would be ok.

So, charge the swarm and kill it. Magic: I don’t get a spell of. 12 shots flints hitting on 4s 8 hits, 2 wounds, one disciple left.

6-14 still an ok score. Didn’t know at that time how important that single disciple would turn out to be.

As you might expect Spain turned out to be too much and went on to win the whole thing.

Round went:
Jack (OnG) vs DL 10-10
Stefan (WdG) vs BH 7-13
Dave (DL) vs VC 9-11
Glen (UD) vs ID 1-19
Herby (OK) vs EoS 10-10
Fred (BH) vs OnG 13-7
Akhter (VC) vs KoE 10-10 KoE Count:5 80 Points out of 5 games
Australia 66-94 Spain

This post has been edited by Scarloc90: Aug 22 2018, 05:42 PM
+Quote Post
Jimbo81
post Aug 22 2018, 08:26 AM
Post #7

On Parole

awesome write up.

--------------------
All Blacks Cheat Academy
+Quote Post
Scarloc90
post Aug 22 2018, 08:52 AM
Post #8

Am I to stupid for spoilers or do BB-codes don’t work on this forum?
+Quote Post
FrozenBeard
post Aug 22 2018, 11:47 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 15,541

QUOTE(Scarloc90 @ Aug 22 2018, 08:52 AM) *

Am I to stupid for spoilers or do BB-codes don’t work on this forum?

I think the latter....

--------------------
The Checker Of Lists
+Quote Post
Orion_76
post Aug 22 2018, 08:11 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 14,543

Just as a side note; Australia had to play Latvia for the 3rd consecutive year in the first round of the ETC!! what are the odds?? I also couldnt believe that on my 5th straight ETC (first one that I didnt play for Australia) I actually had to face the Aussies round 1!! Was really hoping to get paired into an aussie, as I have an excellent track record against all of them and know them inside out when it comes to playstyle and lists... but obviously they were too smart for that and gave me a German instead (although I think hazel is actually Scottish).

--------------------
"And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

"Having been on both the giving and receiving end of this lore: if a game of warhammer is in some ways like a game of chess, then a successful death spell feels like the equivalent of throwing a brick at the chess board."
+Quote Post
Scarloc90
post Aug 22 2018, 09:33 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(Orion_76 @ Aug 22 2018, 12:11 PM) *

but obviously they were too smart for that and gave me a German instead (although I think hazel is actually Scottish).

Half Scottish!
+Quote Post
ordak
post Aug 23 2018, 08:39 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 13,215

Well done team AU! Much deserved

This post has been edited by ordak: Aug 23 2018, 08:40 AM
+Quote Post
Jimbo81
post Aug 23 2018, 03:11 PM
Post #13

On Parole

I need Jack's batreps - so I know how to play these piggies I'm painting on the workbench.

Operation: Charge everything

--------------------
All Blacks Cheat Academy
+Quote Post
KiRaHyuU
post Aug 24 2018, 01:11 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 11,942

QUOTE(Jimbo81 @ Aug 23 2018, 03:11 PM) *

I need Jack's batreps - so I know how to play these piggies I'm painting on the workbench.

Operation: Charge everything

And don’t let AK do the pairings for you smile.gif

--------------------
the "actual" Foodmonster of 9th @realFoodmonster @officialFoodmonster

Come and see :)
+Quote Post
Jimbo81
post Aug 24 2018, 08:15 AM
Post #15

On Parole

could be worse - I had all red match ups with NZ except for one. The team insisted I take a troll list and played every game against purple sun (initiative test or die).

Anyway- need more stories and bat reps.

--------------------
All Blacks Cheat Academy
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2019 - 12:51 AM