Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> BaV Charity Project - Looking for List Builders
chadmac
post Sep 13 2013, 10:04 AM
Post #1

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 6,258

I'm looking for some volunteers to help me decide on how to build the BaV Charity Army.

For those that don't know over the last few months I have been asking people to donate old models which I am stipping, repairing, repainting and then raffling off to support the BaV Charity, Beyond Blue.

So far I have had the following donated, The theme is Son's Of Medusa

HQ

my Vaylund Cal conversion (Mof with a thunder hammer, T6,2+,4+,3W, Makes army Fearless, STR 5, 5 Str10 I 1 Attacks on the charge) 215 points

1 x Terminator Librarian
1 x Terminator Chaplian
1 x Tech Marine - Servo Arm (I can mod this to servo Harnes)
8 x Servitors (I can out fit with Multi Melta, Plasma Cannon, Heavy Bolter)
1 x Command Squad including Apothecary, can include champion, banner, most options

ELITES
1 x Dreadnought Twin Linked Las Cannon, Missile Launcher
1 x Dreadnought Options - Assault Cannon, Plasma Cannon, Twin Linked Auto Cannon, Multi Melta, Twin Linked Las Cannon, CCW w/Heavy Flamer, Missile Launcher
1 x Iron Clad Dreadnought
5 Assault Terminators - 1 x Thunder hammer, Storm SHield, 4 x Twin Lightning Claws
5 Terminatos - 1 x Chain Fist, Can do either Cyclone, Assault Cannon or Heavy Flamer
10 x Marines in robed Power Armor

Troops
1 x 5 Scouts - 4 Snipers, 1 Missile
1 x 10 Scouts - 6 Metal CCW, Pistol, 4 PLastic can mod to Shot Gun, Bolt Gun, Missile, Heavy Bolter, Power fist, combi Weapon, Power Weapon etc.
50 Power Armoured Models, 1 x Metal Power FIst, BoltGun, 2 x Metal Combi Melta rest bolt gun or plastic. I have heaps of Flamers, some plasma guns, heaps of plasma cannons, heavy bolters, las cannons, short on missiles, meltas and multi meltas

Fast Attack
3 x Land speeders - I can cover most options - Heavy bolters, assault cannons, typhoons, multi meltas

Heavy Support
1 x Thunder Fire cannon

Transports
2 x Rhinos
1 x Drop Pod
1 x Land Speeder Storm - I can cover all options

Fortifications
Defence line with quad gun

I am also considering donating the following

5 Bikes
2 attack BIkes
1 Storm Talon with Sky Hammer Missiles
10-20 More Power Armor
10 assault marines
1 Vindicator
a Proxy for most characters.

What I need is a hand to make this into a cohesive force. I will be playing this army at BaV next year (2000 points) That army will form the core of the project with a bunch of other stuff thrown in

So I am asking, arguably the best players in the country, to help me design an army they would be happy to win and field. Give me some ideas, I'll put it to a vote and hand out a nice thank you trophy to whoever's list gets picked.

and if you feel like donating something to make the list more awesome PM me.

--------------------
Lords of the Garage - that one from gosford
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Crynn
post Sep 13 2013, 02:12 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 6,463

What an awesome project. I'll chime in with my 2 cents. Making a 2000 point army with all that will be hard it would obviously be close to 3.5k plus but I take you mean take parts of it to make the list and the prize will include the other models as a bonus.

I'll try to start from the top.

The chaplain is unfortunately not very good, the lib on the other hand is very good and I think costs around 120 pts with mastery lvl 2 so I'd start there.

The next easy piece is the defense line and quad gun, so there is another 100.
100 points for the new and further improved thunderfire cannon.

After this it gets difficult as the army has many units that need a solid transport but don't have many to dish out. The command squad are great but would be better if you could outfit them with special weapons, mainly plasma melta and probably not grav as they are old models. All those marine models aren't terribly useful as tacs so I see you have 3 options noting from the start that this army will just be an 'okay army' at best it wont fight top tables which is fine.

Option 1. Tac marines aren't an amazing troop choice they, don't have much hitting power and really only shoot with any effectiveness. You cant around this and essentially make the tacs into a good unit by taking the white scars chapter tactics. This is an excellent all round chapter and will help benefit most units in the army.

Option 2. You said you were able to make most of the special characters with proxy so my first thought would be tigirus. While he doesnt make the tacs amazing he does provide excellent support himself and ultramarines chapter tactics does have a reasonable 1 turn buffs for tacs in it.

Option 3. Taking Pedro allows you to use many of those marines as sternguard. I haven't completely done the maths on how functional they are but as a marine hoard they wouldn't do terribly.

I have actually just thought of another few ideas while writing this. You could take iron hands and marine hoard making a block of quite tough marines or even better take templars. While black templar chapter tactics isn't amazing their crusader squads are fantastic and use both scouts and marines to form big scoring units. halbrecht actually is pretty reasonable and allows a psuedo 'wah' for the army as well. you could then ally some ultramarines to get tig and suddenly you have quite a decent army. I think this is where my vote would go.

With all that said, I would get some other ACT players to vote which style they think would best work for these models. I think Templars with a detachment of ultramarines would be best personally. Once you have decided I will be able to help complete the army list.

Good luck!
Crynn

--------------------
Now writing for 3++ www.3plusplus.net

Placings:
1st - Acolytes - Scalps 2011 (Best General) - SWD 2011 (Best General) - Aquilla Singles 2011 (Best General) - Icon 2010 (Best General, Best Painted, Players Choice) - ATC VIC Challenge 2011
2nd - Cancon 2012 (Highest Battle Points) - Battle Bunker Crash 2011 - VICC 2011 - Battle Bunker Arc qualifier 2011 (Best General)
3rd - Conquest - Australian Team Challenge (Highest Battle Points) - Battle Bunker Crash 2012
+Quote Post
chadmac
post Sep 13 2013, 04:12 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 6,258

At the moment one thought is

Iron Hands Tactics
Biker MoF

Elites
Terminators w/Cyclone
2 x Las Missile Dreads

Troops
40-50 Tactical Marines (Plasma guns, Flamer, PLasma Cannons, Maybe Melta in the pod, Maybe a Techmarine in the pod aswell)
2 Rhinos, Pod, Maybe Razor Backs
5 Scouts in the Storm

Fast Attack
Small Bike Squad with MoF
2 Land Speeders

Heavy Support
Thunder Fire,
Devestators with las and missile

So lots of plas las and missiles and a bit of movement. need to work on points

--------------------
Lords of the Garage - that one from gosford
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th August 2019 - 11:41 AM