Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Feedback
Dasar
post Mar 4 2013, 08:02 AM
Post #1

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 8,762

Feedback is alway important to us at bladestorm we always want to make this gig the best we can so please let us know what Ben got wrong and what Les got right.

--------------------
The Tyrant of BADgaming; got a problem with one of them tell me first.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
difsta
post Mar 4 2013, 10:06 AM
Post #2

The Travelling Mexican

Member No.: 9,216

okedoke... heres some of things I'd like to mention.

Venue: Great venue, great location. Nice and close to food and motels.

Schedule: All in all feel as though everything went smoothly. I definitely think the lunch break on day 2 could have been shorter. Although I did see a paint judge going around and double checking scores and stuff. So if you needed the time for admin type stuff then that is fine. But the lunch break on day 1 was shorter, and seemed long enough for me.

Missions: Loved how you pretty much kept to rulebook, with a couple of little tweaks to make things a little more exciting. A couple of specific points.
- The scouring mission. Loved it. Balanced the mission more, but still kept people on their toes.
- The Relic. I think the chose your own warlord trait was a little too strong. I think Les was saying that one of the ideas you had was you both chose a warlord trait, and you both get both warlord traits. Could balance it out, and make it a bit more interesting.
- Scalps, always loved this mission.
- Draw hammer was not draw hammer. Forced people to push forward. Loved that also.

Blood Rules: I know you have already made note of this one, but really want to push this smile.gif I played 3 HH players out of 5 games. The 2nd 2 we were on roughly the same points on r3 and r5, so all good, but where possible would love to not have to play a member of my own club (who we play 2-3 times a week) in the 1st round or so.

All in all, loved the event.

--------------------
Community Comp is alive and kicking. Come visit us over at our Facebook Page or out Community Comp Forum and get involved

My Modelling Diaries
ETC 2016 Australian Team Discussion
+Quote Post
Kn'Thrak
post Mar 4 2013, 08:07 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 1,930

I only really had one thought, you could go to 6 games by running 4 in the first day. I know my game was wrapped up quickly, but I noticed most people were finished by 5. Since we're up there for 40k the tourney could run a little later and it still leaves plenty of time for food and drinking.

--------------------
Please note, I can't receive PM's

I wish people would stop blaspheming comparing Lemmy Kilmister to God. He might be a decent chap, but he certainly isn't Lemmy.

QUOTE(jimjimjimmyjim @ Jun 20 2014, 06:31 PM) *

I'm really a bit clueless tho

+Quote Post
Welsh Rarebit
post Mar 7 2013, 01:51 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 5,740

Not much in the way of Feedback here, sometimes thats good and sometimes its bad wink.gif

Firstly, a big thanks to Ben, Les and BADgaming for running the show.

In regards to actual Feedback, I don't disagree with anything Josh said really so i'll piggy back him i guess.

Venue: No need to change anything really, lots of light and space, good location, awesome kebabs across the street. Don't know how itwould've been if you'd filled to capacity, sometimes its better to restrict numbers but it was still as sweet as last year (and i haven't looked to compare if numbers were up or down.)

Schedule: Fine. The 2 game Sunday obviously is a big sell for the travellers so keep as is. Everything ran smoothly, if there were problems then they weren't apparent.

Missions: +1 to everything Josh said. Wasn't a fan of the "choose your own warlord trait" either. Gave my opponent a boost that wasn't required. Other than that, all good. (First time ever i actually won a Scalps game, been a fan since its inception but the Wardolly Gods punish me for that fanboyism usually)

Blood Rules: I played fellow dawg pounder, Rohan, first up. No probs with that as i like playing my mates. Get better mates Josh tongue.gif

Sports: Easy, fair and i liked it.

Paint: Again, no issues and i liked the double check. Time was put in and the checklist was adhered to. I hate it when paint judges spend no time at your table, don't enquire to see if criteria is met and half your army isn't on the table. When that happens, you just as well lose paint judging altogether and lately, its happened a lot. Thankfully, Bladestorm hit the mark here and hopefully more folk will follow suit.

Comp: Le sigh....had to be something when everything was going so well. I think that for the most part, the system did well in keeping the filth off the podium but on a personal note, there were too many armies that got hit and shouldn't have, and too many that got boosted, that shouldn't have. I took what many considered a bit of a crap list, and in a few of my games, found that i wasn't remotely competitive. Nevertheless, i soldiered on, not with any intention of hitting podium (i would have to get my stealth Blood Angel cheese on for that) but certainly hoping for a good weekends' gaming and a mini boost to some respectability in the standings for my efforts.
Now i'm new to the codex and tactically, there are some things i could have done better, some worse but when you lose a game on turn 1, and theres nothing you can do about it and you look at the comp scores to find against that list all you had was a 4 pt head start, its a head scratcher for me. I've been burned doing that before (this was the hat trick but first time at Bladestorm) and i wonder what the incentive is for me to not waste my time and effort. I look across at other BA lists and the easy ride is Mephiston (5 out of 7 BA lists....come on), similar but better units and same comp score and i think i would've enjoyed my games a hell of a lot more as opposed to pushing crap uphill with a stick all weekend. (This isn't to say that i didn't enjoy my opponents' as each one was a gent that i would happily play again, just saying it would've been nice to be in the same ballpark and NOT getting torpedoed to boot).

The Necron list that Brenton ran. Man.....i don't think i would've been in the same ball park tbh, and it had a 20pt head start or something. It looks to all intents and purposes that the joke backfired there but it is what it is.

What even made it worse for me, was the feedback from the judges themselves. I think i would be more comfortable in not actually knowing what the hell they were thinking than to actually hear it from them that it was clear from comments that they made some glaring omissions and oversights. The Looted Wagons sans Boomgun comment on a mates' list in the context of what else was in the list left me absoloutely gobsmacked. sad.gif A system is only as good as the input method and the scores and reasoning were all over the place. Bladestorm's system might've been top banana but i feel it got let down this year whereas last year, people sat up and took notice of the stick that was wielded. It's 1 and 1 for me and right now, i feel that the event just took a backwards step or that last year, they fluked it. I championed the event to all and sundry last year but this past weekend left me cold. I guess we see what 2014 brings but for me, Bladestorm became just another spin the wheel comp event on the 40k circuit, and i thought we had enough of them already frankly. dry.gif

While on this subject and to expand the point more generally, a personal pet hate of mine is the Best List Writer General Award.
If, Bladestorm really really really really wants to encourage the "3" lists, then consigning this Tournament staple to the garbage is a must. Either ditch it altogether, or make it Comp + Battle to reward the guy who played the best with the weakest list. I wonder what message you send when blokes that attempted to match the intentions of the player pack and vibe of the event, watch a 6/50 army run off with all the loot having dropped 2 BP's all weekend. Thats not a personal knock on the player btw, as God knows, enough of them specifically target that prize at other events, its a knock on enabling them to do it at your event. If you are serious about reducing the power levels, then having a prize for ##### face is in complete paradox. Oversights from judges can be forgiven but need to be improved upon but there is no excuse or reason or deterrent for allowing folk who ignored your intentions to succeed. There is no deterrent for repeat in 2014, and others might be co-erced to try the same. I know i would, rather than cop it from your judges again wink.gif As of right now, i'm walking away from Tourney play (not associated with Bladestorm experiences btw, this was common knowledge to most of my circle), i guess my next tournament if there would be one, is Bladestorm III. As most of you know, the Dawg Pound use this event to go away with family so if i am back next year, it'll either be with a "screw comp as it doesn't work" list, or as a non player. I can play in a Bladestorm type event on any given week in Melbourne really and for me, thats a shame as i thought you guys raised the bar last year from what else is out there.

+Quote Post
Dasar
post Mar 7 2013, 06:12 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 8,762

Best general will be battle + comp as of Bladestorm 2014
and blood rule will be a thing as well for next year

--------------------
The Tyrant of BADgaming; got a problem with one of them tell me first.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st November 2019 - 10:20 AM