Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 40k 8th Ed Tournament Size, What will it be?
Blackhearts Reaver
post Jul 29 2017, 10:11 AM
Post #21

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 446

Bro you are far too sensitive.

The rules surrounding terrain atm are not detailed enough. They are probably written with only GW terrain in mind. Which is fair enough. They are only selling a product.

Does it make for a more enjoyable customer experience of the game? I guess we have your answer on the subject. I have a differing opinion and have enjoyed the tactical and strategic parts of this game for 20+years.... rolling dice and removing stuff from the game I can get from computer games built for 12 year old american kids...

You don't really get cover saves in this edition unless you camp a terrain piece, it's a game design decision. I'm pretty ok with it. Means stuff dies easier.
This is the decision they made fairly quickly and hopefully it will get fleshed out more as 8th ed develops. It leads to certain builds and styles of play. I prefer diversity and a bit more skill/ maneuver/ and tactics.

Being able to use intervening obstacles/ terrain/ /distraction/ smokescreens etc has been part of tactics. Period. Making that unavailable because you feet are not in the area terrain or you are not immediately behind the wall 1" (instead of tLoS) is also a decision that has been made. Is it a good one? that is a personal judgement call.

It is an abstraction sure. But does it make sense or make the game more or less fun? for me personally it makes the game a little less realistic and less interesting from a tactical point of view. It will be accommodated but...

This post has been edited by Blackhearts Reaver: Jul 29 2017, 10:25 AM

--------------------
Run local tourneys, Make terrain. 75,000+ pts...Play 1-3 games a week...(40K,BFG,BB,FoW).
Good Trader +149 .....QLD Masters: 1st/14(Tau), 1st/12(Daemons), 4th/15(Daemons), 1st/16(Orks), 2nd/15? (IG), 6th/22(Eldar).
AUS ranking=briefly No.1. :) ATC2011=QLD team ChampionsATC2012=QLD 5th
Retired from Competitive play sometime early? 2013

Try to be positive and help... not negative and tear things down.

"I passionately believe that's it's not just what you say that counts, it's also how you say it - that the success of your argument critically depends on your manner of presenting it." Alain de Botton
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mango
post Jul 29 2017, 01:00 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 84

BHR - thats how I feel about it as well.

I dont want a head to head 'dice off', I would play a game that had some interesting cut and thrust with maneuvering options which is what effective terrain rules provide.

While I am here can you clarify a terrain rule for me re:vehicles and ruins

If the vehicle is in a ruin and more than 50% covered it gets a cover save right?
But if the same vehicle is behind the ruin more than 50% covered it gets no cover save?

So to actually give vehicles some form of protection you really need large, solid LOS blocking terrain. This goes back to the original point in that this sort of terrain is few and far between on 40k tables from previous editions.
+Quote Post
Chaplain_Fortis
post Jul 29 2017, 01:43 PM
Post #23

Authority Bared

Member No.: 4,901

Nice ad hominem. You realise it is a game designed for 12 year old American kids right? I played a game yesterday and all my home made terrain worked just fine. The design ethic isn't that you get to hide in cover and not die. That's fifth. This edition if you get shot you die. If you're in cover you die a little less. Seems fine to me. I prefer it to previous editions where you got to just plonk down invincible blobs in cover. This edition promotes aggressive moves and unit interaction. I like that. Cover is fine but it doesn't determine games anymore.

--------------------
Existential memes for nihilistic teens
+Quote Post
fofjunior
post Jul 29 2017, 03:57 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 9,506

I don't mind the new cover rules themselves but los blocking is definately needed.

So far most games have been close except for the 1 that I could have made close but would've been as boring as bat sh!t.

Fluff wise I find it hard to believe that 4 gurdsman with meltas can bring down a supersonic jet dry.gif

8th like every edition will require some tweaks - hopefully via the codex's.

--------------------
Quote of wisdom - Semper Fidelis

40K goals for 2017 - play socially more often, complete armies on parade project with son.

Life goals - Lose 15kgs, improve health, spend more quality time with my wife, children and grandchildren. Catch up with friends.
+Quote Post
Mango
post Jul 29 2017, 04:20 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 84

QUOTE(Chaplain_Fortis @ Jul 29 2017, 01:13 PM) *
I played a game yesterday and all my home made terrain worked just fine.

Got any forest area terrain? id love to see a pic and for you to tell me how you use it in relation to vehicle cover and movement.
+Quote Post
Chaplain_Fortis
post Jul 29 2017, 05:53 PM
Post #26

Authority Bared

Sure do. Trees don't stop shots at vehicles and they don't slow movement. It's great, means you don't get stuck in a forest all game anymore.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Blackhearts Reaver
post Jul 29 2017, 06:09 PM
Post #27

CF this version of the game if a squad is standing behind a {obstacle} wall they get cover.... if they are standing 1.1" behind a wall they get no cover....

It does not sit well with me.....

--------------------
Run local tourneys, Make terrain. 75,000+ pts...Play 1-3 games a week...(40K,BFG,BB,FoW).
Good Trader +149 .....QLD Masters: 1st/14(Tau), 1st/12(Daemons), 4th/15(Daemons), 1st/16(Orks), 2nd/15? (IG), 6th/22(Eldar).

"I passionately believe that's it's not just what you say that counts, it's also how you say it - that the success of your argument critically depends on your manner of presenting it." Alain de Botton
+Quote Post
Chaplain_Fortis
post Jul 29 2017, 06:37 PM
Post #28

Authority Bared

So if not 1" how far back should you get cover? Or is it just up to you and your opponent to agree at every juncture? It always seems like the fewer of those discussions you have to have to play a game the better.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Blackhearts Reaver
post Jul 29 2017, 07:59 PM
Post #29

TloS 50% still harder than before (they have chosen 50% cos it is easier to judge >> less arguments than 25%)

but not mind jarringly abstract.

This post has been edited by Blackhearts Reaver: Jul 29 2017, 08:01 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th December 2017 - 01:49 AM