2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Primaris disscussion, all things new Primaris
Blackhearts Reaver
post Jul 28 2017, 03:36 PM
Post #1

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 446

Was just looking at the New Primaris stuff with all the leaks breaking online.

It seems they are more model orientate with less option than the std marine counterparts. just bigger tougher better std weapons.

I had a look at the Repulsor...

that thing is nuts....
it is basically a landraider with only a 3+ save (-2" to your charges against it).

it can be set up as antihorde or anti tank or a bit of both.

the antihorde version is probably stupidly expensive but it can be setup to output:
24 shots str5 AP-1 (24"-36")
5d6 str4 AP0 18"
3 str4 AP-1 24"

and FLY keyword so it cant be tied up in combat. It moves away and wales on you....
huh.gif

This post has been edited by Blackhearts Reaver: Jul 28 2017, 09:20 PM

--------------------
Run local tourneys, Make terrain. 75,000+ pts...Play 1-3 games a week...(40K,BFG,BB,FoW).
Good Trader +149 .....QLD Masters: 1st/14(Tau), 1st/12(Daemons), 4th/15(Daemons), 1st/16(Orks), 2nd/15? (IG), 6th/22(Eldar).
AUS ranking=briefly No.1. :) ATC2011=QLD team ChampionsATC2012=QLD 5th
Retired from Competitive play sometime early? 2013

Try to be positive and help... not negative and tear things down.

"I passionately believe that's it's not just what you say that counts, it's also how you say it - that the success of your argument critically depends on your manner of presenting it." Alain de Botton
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Blackhearts Reaver
post Jul 28 2017, 04:04 PM
Post #2

It is interesting they have released all the std weaponry units (Hellblasters/Intercessors/Inceptors) and let everyone froth and collect them cheap from the starter and Easy collectors....

Now release the Codex and give the better varients for the box sets. (short and long rg Hellbasters/basic primaris with sh assault guns and lg rg hv guns/ Plasma jump ). It does look like the Real box sets will have 2x or 3x varient guns from each Unit type.

Get them to collect enough to start an army... smile.gif

--------------------
Run local tourneys, Make terrain. 75,000+ pts...Play 1-3 games a week...(40K,BFG,BB,FoW).
Good Trader +149 .....QLD Masters: 1st/14(Tau), 1st/12(Daemons), 4th/15(Daemons), 1st/16(Orks), 2nd/15? (IG), 6th/22(Eldar).

"I passionately believe that's it's not just what you say that counts, it's also how you say it - that the success of your argument critically depends on your manner of presenting it." Alain de Botton
+Quote Post
Krefey
post Jul 28 2017, 04:05 PM
Post #3

Phoenix Lord of the Forums
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 98

Primaris appear to be predominantly a shooty army, with very little focus on close combat. pew pew pew smile.gif

--------------------
The Hobby Transporter is beginning to ship to backers! Keep an eye out for it going live on the Laser Shark Designs website!

www.celestial-lions.net

Laser Shark Designs
Webstore
Offering custom laser cut goods for your gaming needs :)
(I'm just starting out, but would welcome requests / input)
+Quote Post
Blackhearts Reaver
post Jul 28 2017, 04:27 PM
Post #4

Also not primaris only but
the first 2 CP's you build get put into Captain (in gravis?) becomes a Chaptermaster .... (Reroll 1's at 6" >> rerolls at 6"). Will become insanely better as the more -1 to hit bubbles and equipment become more prevalent as codex get released.

This post has been edited by Blackhearts Reaver: Jul 28 2017, 04:46 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
morsla
post Jul 28 2017, 09:35 PM
Post #5

Paintmaster Mod

Member No.: 3

I guess it depends on how much you rely on those re-rolls though, and what else 2CP could do for you... Raven Guard could drop two units of Sternguard/Centurions/etc 9" from enemy deployment using those points smile.gif

If you have lots of 2+ shots, the re-roll doesn't help much. My starting Ultramarines list uses a Rhino Primaris (servo skull array gives +1 to a nearby unit's shooting) and Telion (boosts the scout's attacks by +1) as the HQ choices, and will expand for larger games to include a LR Excelsior (+1 to hit within 24" of the command rhino). That frees up those CPs to boost the tactical squads with re-rolls, without needing a captain close by.

This post has been edited by morsla: Jul 28 2017, 09:44 PM

--------------------
[www.morsla.net] [WATT] [40k | Burn the Witch! | Alpha Legion | Harlequins | Inaryss Eldar] | Deathwatch]
[Alkemy | Clan Walosi | Jade Triad | Avalon] [WM | Mercenaries | Cryx | River dock] [Hordes | Skorne]
[Infinity | Nomads] [Wrath of Kings | Goritsi] [WHQ | Silver Tower] [Epic | Iyanden]
+Quote Post
Chaplain_Fortis
post Jul 29 2017, 12:03 AM
Post #6

Authority Bared

Member No.: 4,901

Seems like CPs are mostly for d6 hits, d6 wounds, charges and armour saves. I can't see 2 of them being worth changing reroll 1s into reroll all, it's only an extra 1/6 most of the time and it's not on critical rolls. The CP mechanic is really interesting though and they seem to be using the design space in an interesting manner.

--------------------
Existential memes for nihilistic teens
+Quote Post
Blackhearts Reaver
post Jul 29 2017, 09:19 AM
Post #7

with my orks they get used to rerol a run dice in turn 1

Just remember you cant use more than one CP stratagem per ... so not 2 units dropping or infiltrating or Advance charging etc.... only 1. So not game breaking but it might tip the scales here and there. The synergy will be stringing different phase stratagems together to open up a crack in defences/ blunt and enemy over commitment to basically set up a game win.... wink.gif

There are a couple of Marine strats i see that will be come well worn.... (Every marine army can now "I was expecting you...." Coteaz now...

>>>> will certainly help blunt just drop in 9" away..... Here have 10 plasma incinerators before you do something....

This post has been edited by Blackhearts Reaver: Jul 29 2017, 09:25 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
morsla
post Jul 29 2017, 11:44 AM
Post #8

Paintmaster Mod

I thought pre-game stratagems were exempt from the Strategic Discipline rule for Matched Play? The Raven Guard one mentions "each time this stratagem is used."

The same stratagem cannot be used by the same player more than once during any single phase. This does not affect Stratagems that are not used during a phase, such as those used 'before the battle begins' or 'at the end of a battle round.'

I'm looking forward to seeing the types of stratagems that each codex brings. Things like blunting the 9" deploy > charge reroll rush are a good thing for the game.

--------------------
[www.morsla.net] [WATT] [40k | Burn the Witch! | Alpha Legion | Harlequins | Inaryss Eldar] | Deathwatch]
[Alkemy | Clan Walosi | Jade Triad | Avalon] [WM | Mercenaries | Cryx | River dock] [Hordes | Skorne]
[Infinity | Nomads] [Wrath of Kings | Goritsi] [WHQ | Silver Tower] [Epic | Iyanden]
+Quote Post
Krefey
post Jul 29 2017, 01:49 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

So the repulsor, for 309 odd points, can potentially unleash over 50 shots in one turn...

--------------------
The Hobby Transporter is beginning to ship to backers! Keep an eye out for it going live on the Laser Shark Designs website!

www.celestial-lions.net

Laser Shark Designs
Webstore
+Quote Post
Mousemuffins
post Jul 29 2017, 04:56 PM
Post #10

Braaaaaiiinnnnss

Member No.: 2,278

...and a six model aggressor squad (258pts)will put out 114ish if they stand still.
+Quote Post
Caliginous
post Jul 29 2017, 08:57 PM
Post #11

Blistering Barnacle
Group Icon

Group: Support Veteran
Member No.: 5,646

Are normal marines still viable?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Morgrim
post Jul 29 2017, 09:37 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 2,692

Love the look of the new chaplain

--------------------
Cheers

Morgrim
+Quote Post
Blackhearts Reaver
post Jul 30 2017, 08:42 AM
Post #13

Normal marines will still have a place in lists.

The problem with primaris is they are and easy way to lose alot of points to an enemy multiwound weapon.

The mostly in my gut estimate will be glass cannons. They all out put alot of damage but for the wily opponent they are also a way to flush a lot of points away in no time.

Any weapons that do multi damage (d3 d6 but more esp 2 or 3 flat, damage with decent AP-2 to -4 are going to eat Primaris alive.... like Autocanons/ starcanons/ ork rokits/ overcharged plasma of any sort/ Flamestorm/ Predator Autocanon etc you know the stuff people never take .... smile.gif

I love the look of some of the new models. It seems they will only be the clampack characters. No multi part box option later but the look of the codex rules..... No options. for Primaris characters >>>> set and forget.

This post has been edited by Blackhearts Reaver: Jul 30 2017, 08:43 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
w00f135
post Jul 30 2017, 03:05 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 4,474

QUOTE(Mousemuffins @ Jul 29 2017, 04:56 PM) *

...and a six model aggressor squad (258pts)will put out 114ish if they stand still.

I haven't done the math but that's insane.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Emperor Fooble
post Jul 30 2017, 06:25 PM
Post #15

Don't throw off my groove
Group Icon

Group: Support Veteran
Member No.: 9,113

I got to test out some Aggressors and the new dread today.

Aggressors were using the boltstorm gauntlets - they truly put out an insane amount of shots. However they die really easily, being just T5 Intercessors. At 43pts a pop they are superb though.

The dread is again really solid for its points, I used the gatling guns so it was putting out 18 hvy bolter shots, 4/8 bolter shots and its d3 rocket pod. Heaps of fun to use, very imposing and great model.
Moving means it hits on a 4+ however, and apart from its mass of shots it is essentially just a regular dread with +5 wounds so it's not overly difficult to remove.

--------------------
C'mon you apes, do you wanna live forever?
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Chaplain_Fortis
post Jul 31 2017, 10:40 AM
Post #16

Authority Bared

Member No.: 4,901

It's much more reasonable with variable shots, I thought you guys were talking 50-100 flat, if that involves rolling a bunch of sixes for the shot number then it's waaaaaaaaaaaay more reasonable. Sounds good.

--------------------
Existential memes for nihilistic teens
+Quote Post
DarkHorse
post Jul 31 2017, 11:15 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 162

QUOTE(Chaplain_Fortis @ Jul 31 2017, 09:40 AM) *

It's much more reasonable with variable shots, I thought you guys were talking 50-100 flat, if that involves rolling a bunch of sixes for the shot number then it's waaaaaaaaaaaay more reasonable. Sounds good.

6 stationary Aggressors would put out 72+12d6 at 18".

Loaded out for shots, I have crunched a Repulsor can put out 29+5d6 shots at 18" from 10 different weapons. Whoever designed the default weapon load out for the Repulsor needs to be reprogrammed, Clockwork Orange style. Having 2 different default weapons that are basically the same but different (Icarus hailstorm heavy stubber that hits on 2/4+as opposed to a hailstorm heavy stubber that hits on 3+) just so they need to be rolled separately seems so counter to 8th ed's seeming streamlined approach.

This post has been edited by DarkHorse: Jul 31 2017, 11:15 AM

--------------------
Knights of Purity and Valour - Kill 'em all, let the Emperor sort it out!
+Quote Post
morsla
post Jul 31 2017, 11:25 AM
Post #18

Paintmaster Mod

It really is a weird setup for that dataslate.

It took me a few reads through the book to realise that the two command vehicles seem to be Index-only (Excelsior and Rhino Primaris). Now I'm wondering whether I should just find something else in the regular codex so I can keep all the rules in one place... Excelsior as a normal LR is easy, but I'm not sure about the Primaris.

Or, go the whole hog and use them with their actual Forgeworld rules (the base models are a Damocles and a LR Proteus).

--------------------
+Quote Post
Krefey
post Jul 31 2017, 11:55 AM
Post #19

Group Icon

QUOTE(morsla @ Jul 31 2017, 11:25 AM) *

It really is a weird setup for that dataslate.

It took me a few reads through the book to realise that the two command vehicles seem to be Index-only (Excelsior and Rhino Primaris). Now I'm wondering whether I should just find something else in the regular codex so I can keep all the rules in one place... Excelsior as a normal LR is easy, but I'm not sure about the Primaris.

Or, go the whole hog and use them with their actual Forgeworld rules (the base models are a Damocles and a LR Proteus).

GW have said you can use the Index rules for them anyway. So just keep with the index? Cut out the relevant pages and stick them in the codex tongue.gif

--------------------

www.celestial-lions.net

Laser Shark Designs
Webstore
+Quote Post
morsla
post Jul 31 2017, 11:59 AM
Post #20

Paintmaster Mod

Hmm. Legion of the Damned (my stealth squad) also seem to be Index-only. Plus, they would need to be in a standalone detachment - otherwise I lose Chapter Tactics across the whole list...

Looks like I'll still be using a few Index units, then!

--------------------
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd November 2017 - 11:50 AM