> What a tanker!, WW2 armoured skirmishing
b20f08
post Nov 27 2018, 07:36 AM
Post #1

Ten Guitars
Group Icon

Group: Support Veteran
Member No.: 6,935

One of the gaming circle first brought this up several CE games ago. Interest was aroused. Last CE session, rules were shown and that interest is now full awake. But further get-togethers this close to Christmas will be as rare as a Wallaby win between now and the Rugby World Cup 2019, so time will be productively spent in getting-to-know-the-game sessions. Either solo or pairs (suitable volunteer to be duped in due course).

Future posts will document progress and game reports as they arise. 2019 should prove more productive and prolific as the gaming circle embraces this game, and gather their favourite tanks for duelling duets. We may even expand on the basic three core scenarios, as provided in the core rulebook. Probably use familiar and popular time periods, like Bocage country, Russian savannah, or Western Desert.

Tank U armata_PDT_36.gif

This post has been edited by b20f08: Nov 27 2018, 07:39 AM

--------------------
"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing!" for Spike Milligan & Dave Chapelle & Charles Bukowski
"Life without regrets is no life at all" Yip Man
"If you lack technique you lose the freedom to create" Paco de Lucia
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
b20f08
post Nov 28 2018, 10:18 AM
Post #2

Ten Guitars
Group Icon

Running an intro arvo early next month (timings and location yet to be set). At this stage, we're using 1/72 and/or 1/76 tanks from our 20mm wargaming cache. If you're interested, let us know here. Cheers.

--------------------
"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing!" for Spike Milligan & Dave Chapelle & Charles Bukowski
+Quote Post
b20f08
post Nov 29 2018, 01:00 PM
Post #3

Ten Guitars
Group Icon

For those who want a quick reference sheet, these guys have come up with such a handy and quite nifty sheet. I've already downloaded the A4 sheet, printed it out, mounted and laminated it. Ready for the first game. armata_PDT_34.gif

Link

This post has been edited by b20f08: Nov 29 2018, 01:00 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
b20f08
post Jan 20 2019, 10:21 PM
Post #4

Ten Guitars
Group Icon

Played another game earlier today. Weather was stinking hot but it was nice inside the aircon room. Played two-on-two. Basically this was another intro game for all four of us. Axis vs Allies situation. Played the length of the table using the short edges to deploy.

Tanks used: Axis - Pz Mk IVH (Simon) and Hetzer (Lachlan). Allies - Char B1 (Rod) and myself with my plain ordinary common house Sherman M4 (75mm).

Game started easily enough. Both sides deployed either side of the village highway.
IPB Image

The Germanians took to the offensive, combining to attack the Allied right side with both AFVs. This region was held by my Sherman which had no success taking on the Pz Mk IV who was first on the scene demanding coffee and cigarettes. Poor Sherminator suffered a Temporary damage hit, leaving me with just five command dice now.
IPB Image

Things get heated really quickly as a firefight ensues between the three armoured vehicles. My Sherminator copped another two damage hits - one permanent and one temporary. This left me with just three two command dice as I am thus forced to retire (or retreat, didn't really matter which because I was backtracking faster than a politician's promise). Situation is starting to look grim. I might salvage the two temp dice by rolling Wild dice with my turn. But then, you know, pigs might fly!
IPB Image

As my crew begin singing the Star Spangled Banner, the Germanians close in for the kill. Leaving the Hetzer to handle the injured Shermnator, Mr Panzer Mark IVH (H standing for Heavy Schapps drinker) zips past to confront the slow-moving Char B1 which has prudently retired to a more suitable position suitable to its advantage. Perceived or otherwise.
IPB Image

The morally fluid Frenchman manages to open fire on the approaching Germanian but the round deflects off the Germanians frontal lobal armour. From there on, things got a little hazy for myself (my demise was delayed a couple more turns but it was inevitable as the Hetzer shot me up my retreating keister). And the ultimate fate of the poor Frenchman became academic as I had by then left the building.

Overall, in review, the game took a leisurely three hours to complete, even though it is touted as a quick fast activity. One can only be certain this will eventually happen once we're au fait with the rules completely.

The Hetzer was a personal relevation for myself: it has some nasty surprises for the unsuspecting with its fast, small and tank destroyer abilities. My Sherminator was sleeping on the job when it took up its post. The Char-B1 lasted longer (so I can only speculate). The Germanians -- not surprisingly -- won on their offensive tactics and brutal firepower (aka dice rolling). The Allies will have to bring more suitable armour next time. Or else bring aircraft!

Unfortunately, no Dragon Rampant was harmed or cursed during this afternoon's gaming encounter which was very disappointing for me as I had spent considerable time organising my warband. Maybe next time? Cheers.

This post has been edited by b20f08: Jan 21 2019, 01:01 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th July 2019 - 10:18 PM