Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Steel Legion ... Plastic ?, Found some time to do some modelling
Mangozac
post Feb 20 2012, 09:40 PM
Post #261

Addicted to Resin

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 4,654

Brother Argos it's great to be reading your posts again! Your descriptions of your techniques and the reasons for them are well written and so informative that even a seasoned scratchbuilder like myself can take things away from them wink.gif

As always your attention to detail is highly impressive! Not much else to add (or constructive to say), other than that I'm looking forward to more of these regular updates!

Your comment about how invaluable the different extruded styrene shapes are is so very true. Although I must admit I've not acquired any angle pieces like you're used here...

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
brother argos
post Feb 22 2012, 07:49 AM
Post #262

Member No.: 1,311

My original plan had been to make more repairs and modifications to the Macharius Salvation sub-project. However I had some Forgeworld stuff and a surprise in the post today which demanded a small post.

Firstly here is a picture of the forgeworld haul ...

IPB Image

Two Ryza turrets and a Leman Russ Mars Alpha pattern hull including trench rails.

I have long been a fan of the look of the Mars Alpha pattern hull, for its extra detail and length. You can see below the difference between a normal GW Plastic hull and the Forgeworld one ... its a Beast smile.gif

IPB Image

When you add in the nicely detailed hull mounted front weapons ... you get a good looking model! ... note however no Heavy flamer .. guess who is going to have to make that!

IPB Image

With the Mars Alpha were the remaining weapons I needed to complete the set for the LRIWS sub-project. The normal looking Battle Cannon and a replacement Conqueror pattern (its actually an alternate battle cannon, but it looks really like a conqueror to me!). In addition I got a couple more turrets for my collection.

IPB Image

Also in the post was something I had been interested in from the states.

IPB Image

I had been wanting to add some panniers to my various vehicles so this tempted me also. I had seen some models with them on and thought I would give them a try!

Lastly and definitely not least ... There is one single Steel Legion figure I did not have in my collection. The ultra rare Necromunda Sniper ... who actually was a Steel Legion trooper kneeling. This figure is really rare and out of production, I have been scouring ebay for four years looking for him, when one came up in America a couple of weeks ago. I bid sniped like crazy to get him and I am ashamed to say paid what felt like a small fortune for a single figure (whoever sold him will be happy I am sure). But he is MINE NOW!!

IPB Image

There are few alternate heads/faces/alternate poses in the Steel Legion, I had them all but this one ... Now I am very happy smile.gif

I also got something else in the post ... this one from the far east ... but that bit will have to wait till I start that sub-project ... next week I suspect!

@ Mangozac : Thanks for the kind comments. I hope what I write is helpful and having seen your work I would be surprised if it was for you!
I suggest if you ever get round to working on Imperial vehicles the plasticard Angle strip is very helpful!

At some point I should log on to Resin Addict again .. I have a lot of casting ahead of me, would be good to see if there are any new hints and tips!

This post has been edited by brother argos: Feb 22 2012, 07:50 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
brother argos
post Feb 22 2012, 05:35 PM
Post #263

One thing I forgot to mention last night ... The quality of the castings were an improvement over the last time I was buying things for my steel legion (2009).

Obviously it could be just this batch etc ... but it was pleasing to see that things had improved.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Blind Pig
post Feb 22 2012, 06:36 PM
Post #264

The Cook

Member No.: 4,465

QUOTE(brother argos @ Feb 22 2012, 05:35 PM) *

One thing I forgot to mention last night ... The quality of the castings were an improvement over the last time I was buying things for my steel legion (2009).

Obviously it could be just this batch etc ... but it was pleasing to see that things had improved.

Is it an original, or someone else doing a better job?

--------------------
See our new LAZOR!!!! cut scenery webstore at http://www.bplaser.com

The Blind Pig
Usually the First and Third Saturday of each month. March to mid-December 9:30am to 4:30pm
Finnish Hall 62 Newnham Road Mount Gravatt Brisbane QLD

And I too forgot to log off at work. The things we get up to when we're supposed to be gainfully employed, huh? - Dr D
+Quote Post
Mangozac
post Feb 22 2012, 07:54 PM
Post #265

Addicted to Resin

QUOTE(brother argos @ Feb 22 2012, 07:49 AM) *

@ Mangozac : Thanks for the kind comments. I hope what I write is helpful and having seen your work I would be surprised if it was for you!

There's always something to learn from our peers - even if it's how not to do something tongue.gif
I don't know if you remember our lengthy discussions regarding casting techniques a while ago in your BFG thread, but I think my current technique is very similar to those that you described!

QUOTE(brother argos @ Feb 22 2012, 07:49 AM) *

At some point I should log on to Resin Addict again .. I have a lot of casting ahead of me, would be good to see if there are any new hints and tips!

For sure, we'd love to see you back there!

QUOTE(brother argos @ Feb 22 2012, 05:35 PM) *

Perhaps recent revelations regarding certain Chinese counterfeit operations have prompted them to tighten their boots?

--------------------
+Quote Post
brother argos
post Feb 23 2012, 09:44 PM
Post #266

We are on the final run to finishing the Macharius Salvation repair, just some filling and surface work to do.

First up we take a look at the exhausts on the back of the Macharius ..

IPB Image

As you can see not a good fit at all, not to mention irregularly cut. I considered using a hair dryer to bend the pipes for a better fit, but was worried the curve would end up looking wrong/compressed if I did.

I decided finally to use procreate to rebuild the point of contact for the pipe as you can see below at point C. Only one done so far, but the other one is scheduled for tonight, on an interesting note often with green stuff / procreate it is better to let things which are near to another harden and dry first in case of accidental damage on finished work when working on the second item.

IPB Image

As you can see above at point A the track replacement is in place, I had to fill an enormous bubble hole in the resin below and let it harden. One fitted I added 1.5mm plastic rod to make the track joint, now it is all dry I have to fill the small gaps between the track and the white rod to make it accurate.

Point B. shows more filling for the cracked corners. Because of the size of this hole I had to create an initial filling, recessed from the surface slightly in all directions, which will harden and act as a base for the final smooth coat.

As you can see the rear of the vehicle rapidly approaches completion, I for one will be glad when the "filling" is complete.

Moving to the front we can address the front "joint" for want of a better description. The joint/fit was terrible as you can below, this one was/is hard to hide.

IPB Image

You can see in the bottom of the picture, the gap that needed concealing. First I tried to remove the bar to tidy it all up, that was not going to happen, it was well and truly glued into place. None of the support struts on the bar even touched the tank at any point either. I finally decided to employ a physical trompe l'oeil technique to fool the observer, using a square strip of plasticard to create a much straighter line which the eye would latch onto instead of the irregular drifting line it concealed, basically misdirection. It would not be perfect, there was just too much movement, however it would look better than the previous joint. Once the plasticard was in place I filled in behind the struts (see point A) so they all looked like they joined on to the hull correctly, I then subtly used a scalpel to make them all look roughly the same depth by re-cutting the front on the protrusive ones (once again a depth illusion). All that remains is some minor filling work around the new strip to finalise.

Now we move back towards the middle.

IPB Image

I replaced the damage hatch and tidied up some at point A, there was lots of spilled super glue. The edge of the viewport at point B was damaged and chipped off, so I cut it back a little to clean up and then sculpted it back using procreate. Finally there was a long edge where the cover for the stubbers didn't meet the hull which I filled and smoothed. There is a small amount of filling to do, but not much smile.gif

To give you a more cohesive view here is the current work in progress shot, it almost looks finished smile.gif

IPB Image

Notice how the plasticard strip at the front makes the straight line illusion work!

I am pleased with the way its looking now, but I am want to get it off my desk to make way for the next sub project!

@ Blind Pig : It is indeed all original Fw ... however as I said .. it might just be a batch!

@ Mangozac : I hope those techniques serve you well, more long winded I suspect, but much longer mould life I think ... With regard to FW casting quality, we all know that GW are now doing constant resin work (Finecast - misnomer there) ... perhaps better facilities or techniques?

--------------------
+Quote Post
brother argos
post Feb 24 2012, 11:56 PM
Post #267

Bad day today ... Had another haemorrhage in my left eye bleeding into the vitreous gel in the middle of the eye. Timetable for laser surgery to try and stop the bleeding has been accelerated, I will be having laser surgery on Tuesday next week now. I currently have my screen on the largest font size to see/type this.

So sorry no updates today and might not be any till after I heal following my surgery.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Mangozac
post Feb 25 2012, 09:10 AM
Post #268

Addicted to Resin

That is awful news BA sad.gif
I can't believe you still have to wait so long for the surgery though - surely bleeding in your eye should require immediate attention? As I'm sure everyone does I hope it all goes well.

In the meantime perhaps you'd like to live vicariously through my current project? wink.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
brother argos
post Mar 1 2012, 01:29 AM
Post #269

Just a quick update ...

According to my consultant both eyes are affected, however the left one is worse because the vitreous gel is pulling away from the retina (the other one isn't yet).

Therefore I will need Laser work in both eyes. The laser is not going to clear up the blood floating around in my left eye, that might require a Vitrectomy, where they drain the gel in the middle of the eye (with all the blood) and replace it with an inert clear fluid. Only time and healing will tell if that is necessary.

The laser work basically has them shooting a laser at the back of my eye (the retina) and for want of a better description "burning" off the periphery of the retina. This is destructive and I might well lose peripheral vision, night vision and some colour vision. The thing it does however means that my eyes need less blood/oxygen (no need to feed the dead areas) and should stop haemorrhaging all the time. Basically I am trading off my peripheral vision to keep my core vision for longer, which kind of sucks, but is a lot better than being blind. From what they said I will need 4-5 visits per eye on a once a week basis, that will be fun ..

The good news is that last weeks haemorrhage is fading slowly (can take up to a month) and my sight should be "ok" for modelling tomorrow so I will be getting on with some stuff soon smile.gif

Liking the look of the mecha Zac smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Blind Pig
post Mar 1 2012, 11:21 AM
Post #270

The Cook

Member No.: 4,465

Awwwwww man, that sucks. sad.gif

Really a rock and a hard place kinda decision.

All the best buddy.

--------------------
See our new LAZOR!!!! cut scenery webstore at http://www.bplaser.com

The Blind Pig
Usually the First and Third Saturday of each month. March to mid-December 9:30am to 4:30pm
Finnish Hall 62 Newnham Road Mount Gravatt Brisbane QLD

And I too forgot to log off at work. The things we get up to when we're supposed to be gainfully employed, huh? - Dr D
+Quote Post
Mangozac
post Mar 1 2012, 05:16 PM
Post #271

Addicted to Resin

Yeah certainly not decisions that I envy you having to make.

Looking forward to more progress!

--------------------
+Quote Post
phosgene
post Jun 2 2012, 01:12 AM
Post #272

Member No.: 12,686

After skimming through the thread, I can't wait to see the finished army! Great work so far. Sorry to hear about your eyes. I hope that you can get it under control.

This post has been edited by phosgene: Jun 2 2012, 01:15 AM
+Quote Post

14 Pages V « < 12 13 14
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd September 2018 - 12:46 AM